ADVERTISEMENT

PA releases guidance on sports and fans for Pros, College, and High schools.

do we have a average % of days spent in the hospital for covid patients?

I don’t know. Maybe, what percentage of patients require one or more days of hospitalization. I’d also like to know average days that someone is sick.

One problem with the data, not everyone that was sick was able to get tested or received adequate testing. That’s a whole other conversation.

Not all states keep data on the length of hospitalization. In California, 16 days has been the average per the state’s records.

The statement that many of the younger people who are hospitalized are there for 30 to 60 days was what my friend’s son’s doctor told his parents before he was released. If you think about the severe cases, it makes sense. An older person probably would have died. At three different points, the doctors told his parents to say their final goodbyes to him, but he was strong enough to stay alive. Young people generally would be healthier and be like him — more likely to survive an extended illness.

He is actually the only person I personally know who has had a severe case of the virus. I know two people who tested positive but had no symptoms and one who wasn’t hospitalized but spent 10 days at home. I happen to be a longtime follower of two people on the internet who have had bad cases and have survived. Both are writers and have posted stories about their times in the hospital. One was there 28 days; one 60 days. One is 28; one is 39. What their cases have in common with the baseball player are enormous loss of muscle mass and serious lung damage. Two lost a lot of weight; one didn’t.

Most people who get it have relatively mild cases. But, when you get a serious case, apparently it’s not like 7 days in the hospital and everything is fine. There are serious long term impacts.

Did anyone see the pics of the lady with the lung transplant and what her Covid lung looked like?

Yeah, that was all walked back. It's still the guidance and was just updated on June 4th.
If I understand correctly, they mainly walked back the guidance because of "presymptomatic" people. Apparently, a person who will be symptomatic can transmit the disease but true "asymptomatic" individuals pretty much do not. It makes sense - their virus load would be low and they aren't coughing or hacking so their odds of transmission are extremely low.

If I understand correctly, they mainly walked back the guidance because of "presymptomatic" people. Apparently, a person who will be symptomatic can transmit the disease but true "asymptomatic" individuals pretty much do not. It makes sense - their virus load would be low and they aren't coughing or hacking so their odds of transmission are extremely low.

The claim was based on the assumption you could tell the difference at the point in time you take the test. So they really don’t know.

I spoke with a person involved in public health decisions with the PA Dental Association Saturday. He said it’s important to remember that as we learn about the virus, our policy will change. That’s why they decided we needed to wear masks. Hopefully a better treatment will come soon but the world is better off if we keep doing the right things. Wear masks and stay away from each other.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT