ADVERTISEMENT

Panther Hoops Scrimmage & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** Full disclosure. Although I’m a Pure Pitt fan through and through (and through), I’ve almost always been a much bigger Pitt Hoops fan than a Pitt Football fan.

** In fact, it’s been maybe 40 years since I’ve anticipated “the next football game” as much as I’ve anticipated an upcoming Hoops season.

** Yet, at the moment the combination of lackluster expectations for Capel’s crew this year, combined with the 52 point per game production of Pickett’s parade has placed hardwood worries a notch behind.

** Therefore my hope today was that a few minutes watching the orange orb would rev up my usual excitement for the basketballers. The bottom line is that I don’t think that mission was quite accomplished.

** That’s not to say that today’s exhibition wasn’t enjoyable enough. It most certainly was worth the trip to the top of Cardiac Hill. But I left unconvinced that our Roundballers can promise an improvement over last year’s disappointing campaign.

** Of course, I’ll offer the requisite disclaimer, saying that neither complete judgements nor conclusions should be made from watching 24 minutes of glorified practice at the Pete. But impressions are allowed, and these, player by player, are mine.

** I’ll start with the horses, and going into the season, I’d expect Femi to be at the front of the harass. I think Femi can be a star, but today he surely wasn’t. Other than one nifty drive, his afternoon was defined more by turnovers than positive plays. I tend to believe that the better explanation is that Femi was in no hurry to dominate and was instead looking to defer. But if we didn’t already know how good Femi could be, one might not have known the difference today between Ezeakudo and Odukale.

** In fact, overall Ezeky looked pretty solid, if not better.

** Next in backcourt line are Nike and Ithiel. Both played well enough this day, but neither gave me any indication they are different players than the ones who ended last year. Nike’s disposition on the court looks a little more like he’s willing to take the role as this team’s lead dog. He appeared more aggressive with the ball, working to score on the drive or create for others. Ithiel filled the role of spot up shooter in a somewhat spotty kind of a way. In both cases, we probably already know what we will get this year.

** William is still my favorite among this year’s players to root for. He’ll likely always play with high energy, and he did that today. He busted his tail defensively, and tried to be more aggressive with the ball than we saw last year. But he simply needs to be a consistent shooter for his game to work and at least based on today’s output, he not quite there yet.

** Almost without a doubt, the return of Big John was likely the most important “addition” to this year’s squad. Allow me to suggest that I might be offering a more positive review of Mr. Hugley than other might offer. His highlight was a nifty baseline spin move and a nice face up jumper, while otherwise battling in the paint. I believe that Big John might be the kind of player who rumbles his way this year to 7 or 8 points a game and 6 or 7 seven rebounds in about 22-23 minutes. Those could be the numbers of a decent enough ACC center. The key could be making sure he can avoid foul trouble enough to stay on the court that long, and he showed nothing today that foreshadowed foul trouble or conditioning issues.

** I might have something of a different take on Noah than others. I heard a few folks around me saying they were impressed, but I may have been less so. That’s not to say Noah struggled in any remarkable way, but I saw the same player I watched last year. To me, he an athlete, but I’d like to see more of a basketball player.

** The remaining returner was Big Max, who contributed a sweet jump hook and a greater level of court awareness but no real indicator he's ready to join the rotation.

** Still, the reason most folks events like this is to get a look at newcomers, and we’ve got a few of those.

** I can’t say I came to the Pete this day to watch Mo Gueye more than any other, but a surely walked out singing his praises the most. Much like Noah, I expected a fine athlete who might not be the best basketball player. But on this afternoon at least, he might have been the best basketball player on the court. He’s got a deft touch from his jumper, and can even put the ball on the floor more than I expected. Although, allow me to add that after he drilled his first two threes, and shot an air ball from three to open the second half.

** We already knew we’d get a shot blocker and Mo didn’t disappoint in this way either. Nor did it look like he was getting pushed around by the burlier Hugley, Max or Oladipo. His sweetest moment was using his dribble to crossover his defender to create space for a deft pull up jumper.

** But before we get too excited about Mr. Gueye, let’s not forget that he didn’t even average double figures in the America East Conference. With that, could it even be bad news that he was the Panthers best offensive player on the court today?

** It’s also noteworthy that Big John and Mo started out on the court together on the same team. We will have to see in that’s a way Coach Capel wishes play as the year goes on.

** Meanwhile Dan Oladapo started (along with Noah) opposite John and Mo. Count me among those who like what Dan can bring to the Panthers this year. He seems to bring the wisdom of the game one might expect from a fifth year player. One might even say that he’s got a bit of an "Old Man’s game," and I mean this as a compliment.

** Dan is strong too, he and doesn’t shy from the battle in the paint. But from the looks of things today, the Panthers would be better off if he’d shy away from shooting the three point jumper.

** Despite not being a highly ranked recruit, Nate Santos did not look overmatched, hitting two open threes, and even a nice crossover to get by Femi on the break.

** Whether Nate can make an impact this year might depend on Chris Payton. While nothing in Chris' game this day was problematic, he also didn’t necessarily distinguish himself either.

** Maybe this comment about Mr. Payton would sum up my overall take on this scrimmage. I watched some pretty decent parts, but no one jumped out as a difference maker player.

** Some good news in this regard is that there seemed to be a greater emphasis on offensive execution and sharing the basketball, rather than the pounding of the basketball into the floor with the dribble that has plagued the teams of the last few years. This could even get better when Burton returns from injury.

** And perhaps there could be an overall dedication to team defense. But it’s almost impossible to tell the difference in an intrasquad scrimmage between bad offense and good defense. And perhaps as a minus in both columns, maybe one thing I did see a little too much of was badly missed wide open jumpers.

** And so, I’ll leave tonight saying I’m looking forward to this Hoops season a little bit more than I was six hours ago. But I’m looking forward to Kenny and Company take on the Hokies a little bit more than that.

** Hail to Pitt!

** Full disclosure. Although I’m a Pure Pitt fan through and through (and through), I’ve almost always been a much bigger Pitt Hoops fan than a Pitt Football fan.

** In fact, it’s been maybe 40 years since I’ve anticipated “the next football game” as much as I’ve anticipated an upcoming Hoops season.

** Yet, at the moment the combination of lackluster expectations for Capel’s crew this year, combined with the 52 point per game production of Pickett’s parade has placed hardwood worries a notch behind.

** Therefore my hope today was that a few minutes watching the orange orb would rev up my usual excitement for the basketballers. The bottom line is that I don’t think that mission was quite accomplished.

** That’s not to say that today’s exhibition wasn’t enjoyable enough. It most certainly was worth the trip to the top of Cardiac Hill. But I left unconvinced that our Roundballers can promise an improvement over last year’s disappointing campaign.

** Of course, I’ll offer the requisite disclaimer, saying that neither complete judgements nor conclusions should be made from watching 24 minutes of glorified practice at the Pete. But impressions are allowed, and these, player by player, are mine.

** I’ll start with the horses, and going into the season, I’d expect Femi to be at the front of the harass. I think Femi can be a star, but today he surely wasn’t. Other than one nifty drive, his afternoon was defined more by turnovers than positive plays. I tend to believe that the better explanation is that Femi was in no hurry to dominate and was instead looking to defer. But if we didn’t already know how good Femi could be, one might not have known the difference today between Ezeakudo and Odukale.

** Next in backcourt line are Nike and Ithiel. Both played well enough this day, but neither gave me any indication they are different players than the ones who ended last year. Nike’s disposition on the court looks a little more like he’s willing to take the role as this team’s lead dog. He appeared more aggressive with the ball, working to score on the drive or create for others. Ithiel filled the role of spot up shooter in a somewhat spotty kind of a way. In both cases, we probably already know what we will get this year.

** William is still my favorite among this year’s players to root for. He’ll likely always play with high energy, and he did that today. He busted his tail defensively, and tried to be more aggressive with the ball than we saw last year. But he simply needs to be a consistent shooter for his game to work and at least based on today’s output, he not quite there yet.

** Almost without a doubt, the return of Big John was likely the most important “addition” to this year’s squad. Allow me to suggest that I might be offering a more positive review of Mr. Hugley than other might offer. His highlight was a nifty baseline spin move and a nice face up jumper, while otherwise battling in the paint. I believe that Big John might be the kind of player who rumbles his way this year to 7 or 8 points a game and 6 or 7 seven rebounds in about 22-23 minutes. Those could be the numbers of a decent enough ACC center. The key could be making sure he can avoid foul trouble enough to stay on the court that long, and he showed nothing today that foreshadowed foul trouble or conditioning issues.

** I might have something of a different take on Noah than others. I heard a few folks around me saying they were impressed, but I may have been less so. That’s not to say Noah struggled in any remarkable way, but I saw the same player I watched last year. To me, he an athlete, but I’d like to see more of a basketball player.

** The remaining returner was Big Max, who contributed a sweet jump hook and a greater level of court awareness but no real indicator he's ready to join the rotation.

** Still, the reason most folks events like this is to get a look at newcomers, and we’ve got a few of those.

** I can’t say I came to the Pete this day to watch Mo Gueye more than any other, but a surely walked out singing his praises the most. Much like Noah, I expected a fine athlete who might not be the best basketball player. But on this afternoon at least, he might have been the best basketball player on the court. He’s got a deft touch from his jumper, and can even put the ball on the floor more than I expected. Although, allow me to add that after he drilled his first two threes, and shot an air ball from three to open the second half.

** We already knew we’d get a shot blocker and Mo didn’t disappoint in this way either. Nor did it look like he was getting pushed around by the burlier Hugley, Max or Oladipo. His sweetest moment was using his dribble to crossover his defender to create space for a deft pull up jumper.

** But before we get too excited about Mr. Gueye, let’s not forget that he didn’t even average double figures in the America East Conference. With that, could it even be bad news that he was the Panthers best offensive player on the court today?

** It’s also noteworthy that Big John and Mo started out on the court together on the same team. We will have to see in that’s a way Coach Capel wishes play as the year goes on.

** Meanwhile Dan Oladapo started (along with Noah) opposite John and Mo. Count me among those who like what Dan can bring to the Panthers this year. He seems to bring the wisdom of the game one might expect from a fifth year player. One might even say that he’s got a bit of an "Old Man’s game," and I mean this as a compliment.

** Dan is strong too, he and doesn’t shy from the battle in the paint. But from the looks of things today, the Panthers would be better off if he’d shy away from shooting the three point jumper.

** Despite not being a highly ranked recruit, Nate Santos did not look overmatched, hitting two open threes, and even a nice crossover to get by Femi on the break.

** Whether Nate can make an impact this year might depend on Chris Payton. While nothing in Chris' game this day was problematic, he also didn’t necessarily distinguish himself either.

** Maybe this comment about Mr. Payton would sum up my overall take on this scrimmage. I watched some pretty decent parts, but no one jumped out as a difference maker player.

** Some good news in this regard is that there seemed to be a greater emphasis on offensive execution and sharing the basketball, rather than the pounding of the basketball into the floor with the dribble that has plagued the teams of the last few years. This could even get better when Burton returns from injury.

** And perhaps there could be an overall dedication to team defense. But it’s almost impossible to tell the difference in an intrasquad scrimmage between bad offense and good defense. And perhaps as a minus in both columns, maybe one thing I did see a little too much of was badly missed wide open jumpers.

** And so, I’ll leave tonight saying I’m looking forward to this Hoops season a little bit more than I was six hours ago. But I’m looking forward to Kenny and Company take on the Hokies a little bit more than that.

** Hail to Pitt!

Marlon Barnes Jr made his 5th visit to Pitt today. Chet Mason was with him.

Darren Buchanan Jr was offered by Pitt, teammate of Judah Mintz on Team Durant. We are recruiting multiple Team Durant players hard in 2023 as well. Buchanan has a number of similarities to Toney as a basketball player.

A few other Dribbles ... mostly just for fun.

** I don't know if Pitt announced any attendance, but it was basically low enough to count and I counted about 450. I can't say I was disappointed as it was about what I expected.

** If you are a Club Seat ticket holder, you will likely by happy by the new cushy seats you will be sitting in.

** I made the mistake of buying a "soft" pretzel and a Diet Pepsi before the game. I pretty sure both were leftover from games from before the pandemic. And the pretzel was nowhere close to "soft."

** I was thinking about buying a beer for the game, but $12 for a 16oz. craft beer, which appears to be defined by the Pete as White Claw is a little silly. I think one can get a 12 oz Southern Tier IPA for $10. Really?

** It's weird watching Cheerleaders and Dance Teamers doing cheers with masks. Although, I'm not completely sure of protocols, as when they went out on the court, the masks came off.

** And on a more serious note ... I can generally say this season will tell us more about Coach Capel's chops as a coach than perhaps any season in his career as a Head Coach. I described what I watched today as several decent parts, without any great individual talent. Sometimes it's felt in Capel first three years that we were no better than the sum of our parts, and often less than the sum of our parts.

** This does have a little bit of the feel of the kind of team that can be greater than the sum of it's parts. Can Jeff pull it off?

A few other Dribbles ... mostly just for fun.

** I don't know if Pitt announced any attendance, but it was basically low enough to count and I counted about 450. I can't say I was disappointed as it was about what I expected.

** If you are a Club Seat ticket holder, you will likely by happy by the new cushy seats you will be sitting in.

** I made the mistake of buying a "soft" pretzel and a Diet Pepsi before the game. I pretty sure both were leftover from games from before the pandemic. It was nowhere close to "soft."

** I was thinking about buying a beer for the game, but $12 for a 16oz. craft beer, which appears to be defined by the Pete as White Claw is a little silly. I think one can get a 12 oz Southern Tier IPA for $10. Really?

** It's weird watching Cheerleaders and Dance Teamers doing cheers with masks. Although, I'm not completely sure of protocols, as when they went out on the court, the masks came off.

** And on a more serious note ... I can generally say this season will tell us more about Coach Capel's chops as a coach than perhaps any season in his career as a Head Coach. I described what I watched today as several decent parts, without any great individual talent. Sometimes it's felt in Capel first three years that we were no better than the sum of our parts, and often less than the sum of our parts.

** This does have a little bit of the feel of the kind of team that can be greater than the sum of it's parts. Can Jeff pull it off?
I put it : Can he coach an old BigEast style team?

Reactions: Atlanta Panther
I put it : Can he coach an old BigEast style team?
I understand where you are coming from, put I never really bought into what I thought was something of myth that the Big East was a more physical league than others. I don't think what Capel needs to do has anything to do with any particular style of play. They just need to play team basketball.

Reactions: TWPitt

** Hail to Pitt!

nice, thanks!

And hope your birthday was good!

I understand where you are coming from, put I never really bought into what I thought was something of myth that the Big East was a more physical league than others. I don't think what Capel needs to do has anything to do with any particular style of play. They just need to play team basketball.
Can't play the kind of physical defense Pitt played in the past in the Big East. NCAA fredom of movement rules emphasis precludes that kind of defense being employed.

Can't play the kind of physical defense Pitt played in the past in the Big East. NCAA fredom of movement rules emphasis precludes that kind of defense being employed.

I completely agree, but that's not exclusive to the Big East.

I agree, that style of play thing is so overblown. You can play any style of play in any league and win if you play that style well!

Appreciate your observations, DT.

I was at the scrimmage and I estimated the crowd as under 500. I thought there’d be more.

Mo Gueye really impressed me. Really thin but a great leaper and fast down the court. Seems to have a big rebound radius. I was surprised that he hit shots the way he did. Small sample but he also struck me as a good decision-maker.

And I liked the confidence and aggressiveness of Big John.

Not much else to get excited about, IMHO.

Appreciate your observations, DT.

I was at the scrimmage and I estimated the crowd as under 500. I thought there’d be more.

Mo Gueye really impressed me. Really thin but a great leaper and fast down the court. Seems to have a big rebound radius. I was surprised that he hit shots the way he did. Small sample but he also struck me as a good decision-maker.

And I liked the confidence and aggressiveness of Big John.

Not much else to get excited about, IMHO.
I think confidence is a really good word for Big John. I think I described it as "rumbling." I think he's the kind of guy who you just let play and he gets 8 or so points and 6 rebounds. He'll make errors and he'll make plays.

Reactions: cabe23
I agree, that style of play thing is so overblown. You can play any style of play in any league and win if you play that style well!
You can play any style of play in any leagues and win if you play that style well - Yes

Just saying here, in order to play any style well, you better be playing a style that suits the players you recruited.

What I remember most about the Big East: No matter how a game started, the game always ended in a half court war.

There were coaches that entered the league wanting to play a full court game. Some even enjoyed marginal success.

But in the end, they adjusted to the league, the league did not adjust to them. they learned to play a half court close out game. They had no choice.

Marlon Barnes Jr made his 5th visit to Pitt today. Chet Mason was with him.

Darren Buchanan Jr was offered by Pitt, teammate of Judah Mintz on Team Durant. We are recruiting multiple Team Durant players hard in 2023 as well. Buchanan has a number of similarities to Toney as a basketball player.
Thanks -- I'd be thrilled with either.

DT, you did well with your dribbles that without seeing anything, I could close my eyes and picture exactly what you saw. Unfortunately that is not always the best thing (not your observations but the subject matter itself).

Ugh. Your comment on Collier, well I mean, I know exactly what you are saying and that is not good.

It scares me what we criticized Jamie for, the recruiting of kids like Graves, McGhee, etc.....Jamie and company was able to develop these guys into really solid contributors, and guys like Wanamaker, Patterson, Ramon into all league type performers.......I am not seeing this from our staff.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
Not living up to “ The sum of the parts theory “ in JCs first three yrs is giving too much credit to the roster .Pitt simply had too many holes to be competitive. No presence in the middle combined with poor shooters sounds like a losing proposition to me no matter whose coaching !

With Big John and Gueye Pitt will be fine inside this yr . I have higher expectations for Big John than you . Think Collier and Oladapo will provide toughness and some depth .

What troubled me with Wil was his offense , he looked out of sync , but let’s not judge off a 24 min scrimmage.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Femi was told to let others control the pace .

Seats bottoms were comfortable, but leg room ….

Not everyone was there for the scrimmage, sat next to parents of a cheerleader who took videos and about thousand pics of their daughter !

This is a big yr for JC both on the court and in recruiting . Hoping this is the yr the program turns the corner . What I saw yesterday gives me some hope and Mintz is a good start to recruiting. Let’s be positive until proven otherwise .

Reactions: MajorMajors

** Hail to Pitt!
Not having been there, I do appreciate the sober analysis, because that is the most realistic approach coming into this season.

This does appear to be HCJC "deepest" team, and it certainly is a good idea to reset the program to more clearly emphasize a "team" concept. But, end of the day, at the ACC level, with an exception early on with Bennett, you need talent and star power to win consistently, and the team heading into this season is modest in talent and has not established star.

I am among those who believe that IN TIME Hugs can be a good ACC post, but people are kind of mind blocking that his collegiate career consists of a total of 105 minutes. Given what occurred last year, this is basically his freshman year. Hard to see how he can any more than what you are suggesting he is capable of this year.

Reactions: Drew1208
I still worry about Jefress' offensive game.
I'm not sure he'll ever be great offensively but i think he'll be major plus defensively.
I think he'll traject similar to Toney but he needs a go to the hole with a tough mindset.

I thought Hugley looked good. Or shall i say, in comparison to what we've seen at that position.
I particularly liked a drive and bank shot he made with I believe Collier all over him.

Reactions: MajorMajors
Collier is improving. Not fast enough. However, i think for this year he just has to be an energy defender and offensive rebounder and good depth. And spend the year working on his skills.

I got nothing from the Boogey man i didn't watch him do much enough except shoot bad 3s.
Nike, Femi, Horton, i think we should know what to expect there. Horton knows he needs to be stronger mentally and he needs to keep improving on D and driving on O.
Femi needs to show that he can shoot the 3 and foul shots to be really really good in the league. He was sloppy yesterday but that didn't concern me.

My main man Santos hit a couple 3s and rimmed out a 2 that looked good.
He had a couple drives, he can get stronger there. I think he'll push Will because of offense, but Will will win out because of overall play but he needs to work hard.

Mo looked as everyone said, by far the best.
He's gunna block alot of shots.
I was encouraged to see him in a big line up playing the 4.
This can be our biggest line up in years.
6'9, 6'9 (Mo feels more like a 6"11 guy)
6'7 wing, Nike, 6'5 Femi.
To me, that's a potential very good defensive starting 5.

Yes, that's certainly true. It isn't solely a Big East thing.

Unfortunately, for those fans whom the aesthetics of basketball is not very important and both appreciated and loved that hard nosed defense could reduce the advantage those teams with the best recruited talent had over lesser talented teams; for them, the change in emphasis has been very disappointing.

Furthermore, IMHO, that change has made making a whole team greater than the sum of its individual parts far, far more difficult.

My apologies to those who hated "ponderous half-court offenses" and pined for a "run and gun" full-court style of play even if that would work to PItt's disadvantage. We will just have to agree to disagree on that as history. Today, under current officiating it has become a moot point!

Last edited:

** Hail to Pitt!
My take aways :
-The Pete looked great
-The most important off-season addition was Hugley — he’s a true post player w post skills— something we just haven’t had since Mike Young
-Guye was the clear standout of the newcomers; more fluid than I expected and impacted the game in many ways- scored , rebounding, blocked shots . I liked him next to Hugley
-they switched the teams up at 1/2 time (basically moved Guye to the blue team for the 2nd H; Guye’s team won both halves
-Santos looked very comfortable- made some shots , can really jump, and has good size — he’s tall and thicker than I expected; looks physically mature .

I’ll say the top 8 are Femi, Nike, Horton, Jeffress, Guye, Hugley , Oladapo, Santos based what I saw.

Crowd actually seemed better than I expected - zoo had a nice showing.

A comment I made to a friend - everyone who played looked like they had some skill and knew how to play— we’ve seen some PItt teams where there a more than few players in these scrimmages who look like they’ve never played organized basketball before. I’ll take that as a positive .

Reactions: Pitt MD
Yes, that's certainly true. It isn't solely a Big East thing.

Unfortunately, for those fans whom the aesthetics of basketball is not very important and both appreciated and loved that hard nosed defense could reduce the advantage those teams with the best recruited talent had over lesser talented teams; for them, the change in emphasis has been very disappointing.

Furthermore, IMHO, that change has made making a whole team greater than the sum of its individual parts far, far more difficult.

My apologies to those who hated "ponderous half-court offenses" and pined for a "run and gun" full-court style of play even if that would work to PItt's disadvantage. We will just have to agree to disagree on that as history. Today, under current officiating it has become a moot point!
PHCO and RAGO!

RIP geno2u

This does appear to be HCJC "deepest" team, and it certainly is a good idea to reset the program to more clearly emphasize a "team" concept. But, end of the day, at the ACC level, with an exception early on with Bennett, you need talent and star power to win consistently, and the team heading into this season is modest in talent and has not established star.
I agree, "deepest"...but it's
"deep" with average. As
stated, there has to be
some "star power to win
consistently." We've seen
Capel lose one top recruit
after another. We are now
seeing the results of those
recruiting efforts.

The only saving grace IMO
is the ACC is bad this year
and we have a lot of
company in the bottom
third of the league.

Thanks for the insights
by those who attended
the scrimmage. I expect
to see an 8 maybe 9 man
rotation....4 guards, 2 Bigs,
3 wings. If Collier, Santos,
and Amadason are in that
rotation, we're in trouble.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
I agree, "deepest"...but it's
"deep" with average. As
stated, there has to be
some "star power to win
consistently." We've seen
Capel lose one top recruit
after another. We are now
seeing the results of those
recruiting efforts.

The only saving grace IMO
is the ACC is bad this year
and we have a lot of
company in the bottom
third of the league.

Thanks for the insights
by those who attended
the scrimmage. I expect
to see an 8 maybe 9 man
rotation....4 guards, 2 Bigs,
3 wings. If Collier, Santos,
and Amadason are in that
rotation, we're in trouble.
Don't be sleepin on my boy Santos.
He's old and can shoot.

Reactions: TWPitt and cabe23
Don't be sleepin on my boy Santos.
He's old and can shoot.
OK, I hear ya. My point
though is there are 4
experienced guards,
Femi, Horton, Sibande,
and Burton. There's not
much room for a fifth
guard. I gotta believe
the wing/forwards are
Jeffers, Payton, and
Oladapo. That's seven
players without the two
Bigs.

So where does he fit in?
Collier is also a forward
and Gueye might get some
time there if we go big.
A frosh who surprises as
did Champ would be great.
Is Santos that guy?

Ok for now I wont' "sleep"
on him but........just sayin.

OK, I hear ya. My point
though is there are 4
experienced guards,
Femi, Horton, Sibande,
and Burton. There's not
much room for a fifth
guard. I gotta believe
the wing/forwards are
Jeffers, Payton, and
Oladapo. That's seven
players without the two
Bigs.

So where does he fit in?
Collier is also a forward
and Gueye might get some
time there if we go big.
A frosh who surprises as
did Champ would be great.
Is Santos that guy?

Ok for now I wont' "sleep"
on him but........just sayin.
He's playing the 3 more. And really that's where i see him and jeffress for now being most at with maybe a tiny bit of two.
Honestly i see him getting some time just cause he can shoot better than mostly everyone on the team. But not a bunch of minutes but i think he'll earn every game minutes.

He's playing the 3 more. And really that's where i see him and jeffress for now being most at with maybe a tiny bit of two.
Honestly i see him getting some time just cause he can shoot better than mostly everyone on the team. But not a bunch of minutes but i think he'll earn every game minutes.
He seems to know what he is doing. Played with confidence, not hesitancy.

Took good shots that looked good out of his hand.

If those shots start to fall, I see him playing some.

I think the notion of the old BE as a tough league had its roots in the ultra-competitive pugnacious coaches. Think Rolly vs. Evans, Jim O'brien, Calhoun, and the big fat guy at Georgetown. There were really old rivalries from the time when the CYO schools were big time.

** Hail to Pitt!
I think my recap was “pretty close” to yours. ( Defintely not comparing presentation, just observation)

** Hail to Pitt!
My biggest question coming out of the scrimmage is Payton. He did not play anywhere near as much as I expected.

Before I go any further, let me issue a disclaimer ( for those that seem to demand it). What follows is my opinion, my impressions, I am not posting them like the 10 commandments.

It seems to me that there have been indications in the media and social media that Payton might be something. Maybe it is my imagination , but that is the drift I am getting.

I liked the look of Mo playing with Big John. That may well be the best way forward, but if Payton is something he needs to play more minutes than Mo’s backup.

With Jeffress (in the scrimmage) looking like he still has no confidence on offense, I say Payton eats heavily into the Jeffress minutes.

I know that spacing arguments, but maybe Mo’s versitility compensates for that.

I also know Payton neither stood out or looked to be going particularly hard in the scrimmage.

Anxious to see if Payton is “something” or not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT