ADVERTISEMENT

People with Top 25 ranking votes....

I've seen Pitt play poorly and tank against too many "easy" teams, way too many times to have the same kind of confidence. Certainly I've seen us escape similar games with wins too, which likely doesn't happen playing the same way against a stud opponent; but have lost enough so that it's no guarantee either, like many of you believe. Im not against scheduling easier (if that is even possible for us, or much in the thinking of our ADs, which I contend it usually isn't)... but ther team still has to show up
Not a guarantee, but more likely.

Record matters. Pollsters don't look at who you beat.

This is not complicated.

Playoff committee clearly does:

7. LSU (7-2)
8. Washington State (8-1)
9. West Virginia (7-1)
10. Ohio State (8-1)

---

11. Kentucky (7-2)
12. Central Florida (8-0)

---

22. Iowa State (5-3)
23. Fresno State (8-1)

Oh, also, playoff committee says they look at CPI, Resume S&P, an ESPN strength of record measurement .

I have no clue what AP voters look at. Probably Sports Center and box scores mostly. It doesn't appear the AP poll really sways the playoff voters too much. They part ways pretty consistently and seem to favor strong schedules and margins of victory more than AP voters do.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/8/21/16172422/ap-poll-2018-preseason-top-25-rankings

7. LSU (7-2)
9. West Virginia (7-1)
10. Ohio State (8-1)

---

11. Kentucky (7-2)

---

22. Iowa State (5-3)
23. Fresno State (8-1)
We're not even at the level yet to think about that! I'd be happy being 7-2 and ranked #25 at this point.

I know we're not going to any playoffs, btw, I just don't buy that they don't care about schedule. More relevantly, we need to try to win our conference, where our schedule is not in our control anyway.

I know we're not going to any playoffs, btw, I just don't buy that they don't care about schedule. More relevantly, we need to try to win our conference, where our schedule is not in our control anyway.
You are talking about things from a playoff perspective and you have 1 relevant example of 2 loss LSU with one of those losses to the clear best team in the country. UCF and Fresno State are completely different cases nd not relevant, at all. We are UCF's best win. We are way, way, way far away from worrying about being a top 4 team. This discussion is about perception. You noticeably left out Syracuse. Syracuse isn't a really good football team, but they bought 4 OCC wins, instead of taking 3 Ls. They are where Pitt would be with a swap of OOC schedules.

Syracuse probably has the easiest schedule in the ACC going forward. It'll be interesting to see if that helps build anything or not. I'm obviously skeptical about how far you can go without winning your conference and how much recruits care about rankings as opposed to coach, playing time, location, etc.

Syracuse probably has the easiest schedule in the ACC going forward. It'll be interesting to see if that helps build anything or not. I'm obviously skeptical about how far you can go without winning your conference and how much recruits care about rankings as opposed to coach, playing time, location, etc.
Even if they go 8-5, 9-4 or 10-3 pretty often with rankings in the 20s most years, that's awesome compared to what we are used to seeing.

You noticeably left out Syracuse. Syracuse isn't a really good football team, but they bought 4 OCC wins, instead of taking 3 Ls. They are where Pitt would be with a swap of OOC schedules.
SU only bought 3 OOC wins (WMU, UCan't, and the mighty Wagner Seahawks), their 4th OOC game is coming up and it is an ACC scheduled meeting with ND. I do agree though, swap skeds and Pitt is #13.

Syracuse probably has the easiest schedule in the ACC going forward.
If you mean for the rest of this year I disagree--OK, they'll smash UL tomorrow, but they still have to play ranked BC and undefeated ND, they may have one of the tougher ACC member schedules remaining this year.

Reactions: pittdan77

7. LSU (7-2)
9. West Virginia (7-1)
10. Ohio State (8-1)

---

11. Kentucky (7-2)

---

22. Iowa State (5-3)
23. Fresno State (8-1)

Who did Central Florida beat that was any good? And before you say it, Pitt isn't ranked.

But that doesn't matter. Pitt is about as relevant in the national title conversation as Iowa State or Fresno State. Or UCF, for that matter. Start rattling off 10 win seasons and then worry about your schedule holding you back.

Reactions: Jpripper88
On Syracuse's schedule, I meant over the next five or so years. No one else in the ACC is going that hard at auto-wins.

I'm totally unconvinced that will do anything for their recruiting or their ability to win the ACC or a major bowl.

On Syracuse's schedule, I meant over the next five or so years. No one else in the ACC is going that hard at auto-wins.

I'm totally unconvinced that will do anything for their recruiting or their ability to win the ACC or a major bowl.
But still, if they go 8-5 or 9-4 most of the time, IMO that's good enough and way better than what we've experienced most of the last 30 years.

Reactions: DiehardPanther

It is already a huge boost to their perception.

Reactions: pittdan77
Pitt is 5-4... these people fill out a ballot every week and are not sitting around doing team by team analysis on who beat who and when and why. Especially so of 5-4 vs 6-3 teams.. Pitt is right where a 5-4 team with no real significant wins should be...

Total right answer.

Anyone that thinks we are a top 20 team is nuts. Now, are we better than some top 25 teams? Heck yeah we are, but although we were screwed out of 2 games by the ref, we are still 5-4 with a dismal defense and a passing game like the 1926 Racine Cardinals

Reactions: McKee Place
Total right answer.

Anyone that thinks we are a top 20 team is nuts. Now, are we better than some top 25 teams? Heck yeah we are, but although we were screwed out of 2 games by the ref, we are still 5-4 with a dismal defense and a passing game like the 1926 Racine Cardinals
In defense of Racine (or was it the Oorang Indians?) the pigskin back then was an actual dead pig.

It is already a huge boost to their perception.

Perception won't win you a conference or division title.

The only argument I've heard is that perception helps you land recruits, which neither Pitt nor Syracuse is doing well. Facilities and coaches will impress players a lot faster than a one or two game difference in record.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT