ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt game thread vs Florida Gulf Coast

No arguing that Blair was special , but this kid looks like he’s a future NBA star . The last freshman I saw that had this impact on me was Charles Smith .
I’m personally going to wait and see how he looks against ACC competition, but so far it’s hard to not start thinking that he might be the most creative and dynamic shot-making point guard we have had at Pitt.

Reactions: gary2
You think Hinson missed free throws because he hasn’t practiced them ?
And Bub made all of his because he did ?
C’mon
Have you guys actually played basketball before ?
Fede has terrible form. Who said anything about Hinson and Bub not practicing? Coaches put their players in game like situations and apply pressure in practice to prepare them for the game. But I’m sure you wouldn’t understand that.

Reactions: jctrack
Didn’t Julius Page or Knight miss a free throw that lost a game their freshman year and then they stayed after in the gym for a long time that night.

Indiana sucks this year and they were missing IT. FGCU sucks too. We had an awful night shooting. Could have blown them out by 25 easily. They missed 14 FT. Make 7 of them and they are up 19. Make 2 more threes (they only made 8 of 28) and that is a 24 point win. This was a poor Pitt performance. One they could have hit 100 again.
First, I want to say we didn't play our best tonight. With that out of the way, I don't agree that FGCU sucks. They are a decent team that had an inside game good enough to expose a weakness. It is clear we are going to have trouble defending other teams bigs that have enough quickness, and we will see plenty of that in upcoming games. We need stronger guys and I think Papa will be missed. Like I said earlier in this thread, I thought the length of Fede and the twins would bother them inside,but, honestly I don't remember us having more than a block or two the entire game. I'm happy to be 3-0, and we found out our interior defense needs to get much stronger.

Reactions: Protes and jctrack
First, I want to say we didn't play our best tonight. With that out of the way, I don't agree that FGCU sucks. They are a decent team that had an inside game good enough to expose a weakness. It is clear we are going to have trouble defending other teams bigs that have enough quickness, and we will see plenty of that in upcoming games. We need stronger guys and I think Papa will be missed. Like I said earlier in this thread, I thought the length of Fede and the twins would bother them inside,but, honestly I don't remember us having more than a block or two the entire game. I'm happy to be 3-0, and we found out our interior defense needs to get much stronger.
I take back what I said out of excitement. I am more upset with how poorly Pitt shot… But this is a game they lose in years past with that shooting.hence the importance of balanced scoring!

The guards are the wildcards. 55 an ok late pickup more so if can make a couple more 3’s. Will a bit improved but still basically 4 on 5 with him on offense. The rest to me early including coach are what they are right now. Similar to last year but they rebounded well as team and made FT.

Fede has terrible form. Who said anything about Hinson and Bub not practicing? Coaches put their players in game like situations and apply pressure in practice to prepare them for the game. But I’m sure you wouldn’t understand that.
Fede’s job is to defend , rebound, and dunk in that order

Fede’s job is to defend , rebound, and dunk in that order
FT shooting by all, even Fede, should improve as season progresses. Fede made 64.7% of his FTs last season; Hinson 67.9%

Tonight's FTs were 18/32. Standard of 70%+ would have required 5 more FTs made. Only shot about 28% on 3s. Should have made 2-3 more. Had Pitt done that it would have been the 20-25 point win this team was capable of.--

Off games happen, Miami almost lost tonight to 0-3, FIU.

Didn’t Julius Page or Knight miss a free throw that lost a game their freshman year and then they stayed after in the gym for a long time that night.

Howland and Dixon always had them practicing FT's because they needed to. Most teams do practice them and players shoot many of them while in practice and after practice. When I played, that's what we did. So the answer to your question is yes.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Howland and Dixon always had them practicing FT's because they needed to. Most teams do practice them and players shoot many of them while in practice and after practice. When I played, that's what we did. So the answer to your question is yes.
He never had them practicing them .
Their teams were average at best , and our best players were often the worst culprits

What you did with peach baskets doesn’t matter :)

FT shooting by all, even Fede, should improve as season progresses. Fede made 64.7% of his FTs last season; Hinson 67.9%

Tonight's FTs were 18/32. Standard of 70%+ would have required 5 more FTs made. Only shot about 28% on 3s. Should have made 2-3 more. Had Pitt done that it would have been the 20-25 point win this team was capable of.--

Off games happen, Miami almost lost tonight to 0-3, FIU.
Yep
Game to game variances
We won by double digits despite not playing well

From being there in person tonight: Jeffress is absolute clamps on defense, big men just had a bad game and got worked by Brittney Griner, Carrington is legit and guards are looking good, team could be really good this year.

Worst play of the game for Pitt?

Towards the end, in a tight game, one of the twins thinking now was a good time to take his man off the dribble.

Fede needs to be tougher, for sure. He has a strong enough frame, but it seems like he doesn't know how to use it. And the twins are both better suited as stretch 4's. GDG is going to have a hard time at the center spot being so rail thin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT