ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Memories. Best Pitt Players/Favorite Pitt Players

Think that was Moses. The article on Gill definitely said Compton CC, then finished his career at Cal. Hard to understand how a Baltimore kid ended up in Compton though. He played for several minor league teams around Baltimore in 1999 to 2002.

Dante Milligan also went to UMass. I was thinking then maybe it was George Washington that Gill also went to, but that was Atilla Cosby.

Or like you said, maybe the one year at Cal was the only other Division I stint for Gill. There's just a bell ringing for me that there was another school.

Dante Milligan also went to UMass. I was thinking then maybe it was George Washington that Gill also went to, but that was Atilla Cosby.

Or like you said, maybe the one year at Cal was the only other Division I stint for Gill. There's just a bell ringing for me that there was another school.
Actually, he was at Cal 2 years after graduating from Compton Cummunity College but Sports Reference.com only lists stats for 97-98. There's a NYT article about him playing in a NIT game in March 1999 as a senior, though so Sports Reference is incomplete.

He played for the Washington Congressionals in the USBL IN 1999, then in something called the Street Basketbll Association for the Maryland Mustangs till 2001-2002. The SBL website lists him as "California" although it is possible he tred to transfer somewhere else between Pitt and Compton.

The best players I saw were

Billy Knight
Sam Clancy
Charles Smith
Dejaun Blair
Steve Adams

Lots of favorites but those that stand out are

Jerome Lane
Brad Wannamaker
Sean Miller
LeVance Fields
Julius Paige

Best for me (started 1985) are Charles Smith (overall ability), Brandin Knight (intangibles and leadership), DeJuan Blair (strength and rebounding), Sam Young (developed good outside shot and uber athletic) and Jerome Lane (SEND IT IN JEROME!)

My favorite were Ronald Ramon (esp after the WVU buzzer beater), Julius Page (his dunks were nasty), Brad Wanamaker (most underappreciated by Yinzers!), Levance Fields (anyone at MSG for Duke game?!?) and Ricardo Greer (started the run in 2001).

damn guys, I usually have a good memory but I cant recall this Gill guy at all. And I remember guys like Timmy Glover, Sortoris Agelou, Ghandi Jordan and my favorite, Garrick Thomas. I can even recall Mike Goodson and I even talked to Scott Columbo on the phone about pitt hoops, while he was ordering pizza (worked at a place in lebo during college, poor dude orders a pizza, tells me his name and I start asking him about the Vanderbilt game)

I don't have any idea what went wrong but a recruiting class with Ghandi Jordan and Omo Moses should have been a winner.

I seem to recall that Gill went back to a Division I school after California. UMass? (Maybe I'm confusing him with Omo Moses who was a UMass for sure).

This question is for anybody. I remember a Willard class that was completely wiped out by grade and other issues. Some of that class eventually played here and some didn't. Can anybody name them and the year?

A little surprised. Not one mention of Aaron Gray? Kid worked hard at PITT made himself an all conference type player and them managed to earn a great living in the League. Very under appreciated player!

This question is for anybody. I remember a Willard class that was completely wiped out by grade and other issues. Some of that class eventually played here and some didn't. Can anybody name them and the year?

I believe you are referring to the Paul Evans class that was supposed to join us for the 1989-1990 season.

Eric Mobley (went to Allegany CC for a year, then played here three years).
Chris McNeal (sat out a year for Prop 48, then had three good years at Pitt)
Jamal Faulkner (went to Arizona State instead, then Alabama)
Domanik Dumancic (sat out a year for Prop 48, then played a little the following year)
Danny Griffin (went to UNLV instead)

A couple of names I didn't see in the thread (I might have missed them, my eyes are going blind from cleaning out email on the first day back to work):

Curtis Aiken and Jerry McCullough.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT