ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Program

PittHOFs

Scholarship
Oct 25, 2016
This program will be left with their pants down. ACC Coastal is pretty bad overall. I can totally see teams from the Atlantic jumping ship with the new wave of conference expansion. Performances like last night and lack of excitement on offense will have them playing in the MAC.

Ok, Pitt is happy with 7 win seasons and maybe a team that can win conference every 5-6 years, but that won’t make you attractive to other conferences. Pitt Administration as a whole is stuck behind the times and so near sighted. Never do they think big or long term.

And we are on this board saying it’s not over with a 5 star recruit who picked FSU. Ummmm yes it’s over. Just look at this offense!

Our pants have been down for 40 years, while getting grapefruits fastballed at our nuts. The gods gave us a taste of success last season because they sensed we were becoming desensitized. Now we're back to jugs machines and citrus fruit. Bite down hard, because your nuts are back in the strike zone, baby.

• Wow
Reactions: DaveTrout
That is what Narduzzi will generally give you. 7-5 seasons. Last year was a blip.

The numbers don't lie, unfortunately. Average record through his first six seasons was 7 wins - 5.67 losses.

Is barely a game over .500 good enough in college football, when you get at least one or two freebies every season in the form of FCS and G5 games? You tell me.

But I'm seeing that we certainly haven't turned any corners as a program. We just had a good qb one season.

The numbers don't lie, unfortunately. Average record through his first six seasons was 7 wins - 5.67 losses.

Is barely a game over .500 good enough in college football, when you get at least one or two freebies every season in the form of FCS and G5 games? You tell me.

But I'm seeing that we certainly haven't turned any corners as a program. We just had a good qb one season.

While playing the most top 20 teams OOC in the nation. Context matters. If they played a Wisconsin type of OOC schedule- they would be closer to 10 wins per.

But again, let not let the facts get in the way of a good rant.

While playing the most top 20 teams OOC in the nation. Context matters. If they played a Wisconsin type of OOC schedule- they would be closer to 10 wins per.

Just better to let them rant. Been waiting 2 years for this.

Reactions: FireballZ

See, that's where YOU don't understand context. OOC is 25% of the schedule. What about the other 75%?

If Ole Miss plays an FCS team and two G5 teams in the OOC and we play an FCS team, a G5 team, and two P5 teams... Guess what? They still played the tougher schedule!

The ACC is a joke, and the Coastal even more so. That accounts for most of our schedule every year. So yeah... we should play some decent OOC games. We should play more than most teams, in fact, because our conference schedule sucks.

Once again, people are crying about the OOC schedule this year, when we're going to end up playing like one freaking ranked team all season!

That is what Narduzzi will generally give you. 7-5 seasons. Last year was a blip.
True - but that’s what Pitt is. The 4 and 5 star recruits want to play for schools that treat them like kings and pay big NIL money. That includes on campus facilities and game day atmospheres. Pitt doesn’t match those things and therefore will be stuck in the 6-6 or 7-5 range as a program. I’m just glad our family went to the ACC Championship Game to enjoy it. The best overall Gameday experience in my 40 years of Pitt football.

Lol, crawl under a rock today. You spent the last month insulting anyone that questioned Cignetti as the best offensive mind ever and you are still trashing people?

Says the guy melting down.

Meanwhile, we beat Tennessee last season and lost to Western Michigan. The season before that we were 1-0 OOC but still managed to go 6-5. In 2016, 2019, and again this season, we were 3-1 OOC. Project that over a whole season and it's 9-3. So yeah... OOC scheduling isn't the problem.

And for the umpteenth time, the ACC plays 8 conference games. Most other conferences play 9. So that's an extra P5 team right off the bat.

Reactions: cbpitt2
True - but that’s what Pitt is. The 4 and 5 star recruits want to play for schools that treat them like kings and pay big NIL money. That includes on campus facilities and game day atmospheres. Pitt doesn’t match those things and therefore will be stuck in the 6-6 or 7-5 range as a program. I’m just glad our family went to the ACC Championship Game to enjoy it. The best overall Gameday experience in my 40 years of Pitt football.
Yes. One decent season in 40 does seem to be our designated ratio.

Yep. I mean we had a top 25 team and defending acc champs and outside of the students, no one showed up. I'm sure 4 and 5 star recruits are lining up for that.

Meanwhile, we beat Tennessee last season and lost to Western Michigan. The season before that we were 1-0 OOC but still managed to go 6-5. In 2016, 2019, and again this season, we were 3-1 OOC. Project that over a whole season and it's 9-3. So yeah... OOC scheduling isn't the problem.

I have no problem with the ooc schedule. We also have the third most acc wins I believe during duzzs stint.

We are like 90% of the rest of fbs, except with probably more roadblocks.

See, that's where YOU don't understand context. OOC is 25% of the schedule. What about the other 75%?

If Ole Miss plays an FCS team and two G5 teams in the OOC and we play an FCS team, a G5 team, and two P5 teams... Guess what? They still played the tougher schedule!

The ACC is a joke, and the Coastal even more so. That accounts for most of our schedule every year. So yeah... we should play some decent OOC games. We should play more than most teams, in fact, because our conference schedule sucks.

Once again, people are crying about the OOC schedule this year, when we're going to end up playing like one freaking ranked team all season!

It's just basic math. 7 becomes 9 or 10 when you stack easy OOC wins.

It's just basic math. 7 becomes 9 or 10 when you stack easy OOC wins.

Meh. Your politician-like (point out a small sliver of truth and play coy toward the obvious overall picture) approach to this doesn't really amuse me. Apparently you can fool ThePanthers, though, so that's kind of cool. We play in what has been the worst division in the P5, and our crossover opponent is Syracuse. And you guys want to schedule New Hampshire the first four weeks of every season. That's just dumb.

What's the point in even having competition if you just want to pull a Hitler and have a "talk" with every soccer team before they face the German national team?

Meh. Your politician-like (point out a small sliver of truth and play coy toward the obvious overall picture) approach to this doesn't really amuse me. Apparently you can fool ThePanthers, though, so that's kind of cool. We play in what has been the worst division in the P5, and our crossover opponent is Syracuse. And you guys want to schedule New Hampshire the first four weeks of every season. That's just dumb.

Lol. Small sliver huh? Here's another.

There's plenty of divisions over the last 7 years who have been just as bad, if not worse than the Coastal. Again, just reality based context.

Lol. Small sliver huh? Here's another.

There's plenty of divisions over the last 7 years who have been just as bad, if not worse than the Coastal. Again, just reality based context.

For a year here or there, yeah. But not consistently throughout Narduzzi's tenure. No way in hell. That's what you love about the Coastal Division, Dazed and Confused Joey: Other divisions will come and go, but the Coastal just stays the saaaaaame ugly. When six teams in six consecutive teams can win it, it's basically a Chinese Auction more so than a football division.

Well said

Yep. I mean we had a top 25 team and defending acc champs and outside of the students, no one showed up. I'm sure 4 and 5 star recruits are lining up for that.
Last few years it was everybody showed up but not the students. WTF. Die hard fans are always there (and I do mean us oldies because we know the value of loyalty.) Who showed up for the ACC Championship, 25K fans and many were not students, they were loyal supporters and the fair weathers.

Last few years it was everybody showed up but not the students. WTF. Die hard fans are always there (and I do mean us oldies because we know the value of loyalty.) Who showed up for the ACC Championship, 25K fans and many were not students, they were loyal supporters and the fair weathers.
I feel the students have been pretty strong in attendance the last few years.

While also playing an easy 8 game conference schedule each year.
But again, let’s not let the facts get in the way of a good rant.

While also playing an easy 8 game conference schedule each year.
But again, let’s not let the facts get in the way of a good rant.

Now point out how most teams play an "easy" conference schedule as well. I'll get you started. All of the B1GW, the P12, SECE,.. go on you can finish the list.

I don’t know if teamrankings.com, is a reliable source, but Pitt’s overall strength of schedule ranks significantly below Wisconsin’s every year. I’m guessing you’ll find the same if you check other sources.

I feel the students have been pretty strong in attendance the last few years.
I would say the “students don’t show” thing has been dead for at least 5 years now… that narrative should be over … and yes it was very obvious during the GT and RIU games immediately on television where the fan concentration was.

Agreed - the students have done a good job showing up the last few years. The rest of the fanbase hasn’t.
I refereed for 8 hours on Saturday in the rain in Vandergrift PA. I got to the stadium by 9:00. Stayed til the end. Our students and hardcore fans are the greatest. Our other "fans" are pathetic.

Reactions: ThePanthers
Well said
The days of turning corners is over. We aren't relevant. According to Athlon we were rated last in recruiting in a year where we should be much higher in the ACC. My yardstick is lose less than 3 games per year and exceed more than 8wins. Last year was their best in 40 years. Thank you Kenny Pickett.Our West Coast pretty Boy will not do any better, Perhaps a lot worse. He is not a leader.

Last season unfortunately was not the breakthrough I delusionally hoped for. It was an aberration. Pitt is fine being an average ditch digger program.

It’s rather shocking that it costs as much as it does for us to be that way, $5M for a HC who is only responsible for keeping us at 7-5 most years. I don’t know that I even want to know what we have to pay Cignetti for … that steaming pile of garbage he cooked up last Saturday.. But i fully realize that’s the going rate just to stay average; guys like Saban, Kelley et al make several times that (except that those schools allow their boosters to shoulder much of that).

This sticker shock is (another) indicative point of why we will very likely be out of the major college football follies within the next decade. If Duz actually had been able to follow up last season with a playoff run this season, his price would go well above what we’d continue to pay.

So maybe it is for the best that we didn’t ‘turn the corner’ and finally become a true player, only to still be frozen out of the conference contractions / expansions that are coming.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT