ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt soccer

Interesting roster makeup for Duquesne

13 internationals with 8 of them being from Australia, Iceland, and Norway. Wonder what that connection is.

Tons of locals
5 Riverhounds
3 Beadling
2 Arsenal
1 Northern Steel (which is now Century Steel)
1 FC Pittsburgh

Also Club Ohio, Pacesetter, and Baltimore Celtic (someone asked about them in another thread)

Didn't realizs Anthony Harding transferred to Duquesne. He played some at Pitt

I didn't see the very beginning of the game so I will take SMF's word for it that Duquense played Pitt even or so early, but it's pretty obvious over the last half hour or so of the first half which is the obviously better team.

2-0 at the half.

Reactions: HOF Coach
I didn't see the very beginning of the game so I will take SMF's word for it that Duquense played Pitt even or so early, but it's pretty obvious over the last half hour or so of the first half which is the obviously better team.

2-0 at the half.
Pitts ability to recycle the ball and maintain possession looked better than it has all year. Goes to show you the difference in competition.

Pitts ability to recycle the ball and maintain possession looked better than it has all year. Goes to show you the difference in competition.

Yeah, the notion that Duquesne is a top 25 team and Pitt is not is kind of laughable at this point.

2-0 at the half.
Yes, all Pitt in the last part of the 1st Half. That said, this Duquesne team is legit.....in that they are a good mid-major and a team who can maybe win a game or 2 in the ACC.

ALL Duquesne these last 5 minutes to make it 3-2, should be 3-3. Making Pitt look like a JV team. Pitt's defense has been a problem all year. Duquesne may score again.

4-2

Duquesne acquitted themselves nicely. They are a legit lower seed NCAAT team but probably have to win the A10T to get in

Are you bipolar or just overly dramatic?

Pitt - 4
Duquesne - 2
Overly dramatic. The 2-0 10 minute stretch when they could have had a 3rd goal was as dominant a team has been over Pitt at Ambrose Urbanic since 2018 or so. Duquesne was outshooting Pitt 6-1 in the 2nd Half at that point

• Wow
Reactions: jctrack
Overly dramatic. The 2-0 10 minute stretch when they could have had a 3rd goal was as dominant a team has been over Pitt at Ambrose Urbanic since 2018 or so. Duquesne was outshooting Pitt 6-1 in the 2nd Half at that point
Pitt - 5
Duquesne - 2

It was a game of swings, but Pitt controlled the large majority of the game.

Reactions: ThePanthers
Pitt's offense is good enough to make a deep run in the NCAA tournament. Pitt's defense is, well, not.
Yea but even their offense isnt that close to the last 2 years. Hard to compare to those guys though. That said, yea, they have the potential to score enough to make a Final Four but their defense is, if I am being nice, average. They have the potential for losing their 1st game because of it.

Pitt - 5
Duquesne - 2

It was a game of swings, but Pitt controlled the large majority of the game.
Pitt was better over the duration, no doubt. The last goal came with 30 seconds left when Duquesne was sending everyone forward so that's misleading. But Duquesne looked fine. About the level of lower ACC. VT/NC State/BC. Better than WVU. For Duquesne, that's huge. Not long ago, they were about the level of IUP/Cal U

I was annoyed by the zoomed out camera angle they kept doing. I know they were trying to show the fans but have a camera below looking up.
Good win, and a very important win to get ready for a tough ACC game.

Reactions: ThePanthers
I was annoyed by the zoomed out camera angle they kept doing. I know they were trying to show the fans but have a camera below looking up.
Good win, and a very important win to get ready for a tough ACC game.
I am glad they added bleachers to the other side finally but the crowds go way down as it gets colder. Now, if we get a nice day in November for an ACC or NCAAT game, it could get packed again. ND last year was packed. Hofstra and Northern Illinois in the NCAAT were 2 of the worst crowds of the year. Part of that though is Pitt does not market the soccer program at all. Pitt basketball had a game at like noon and Pitt had an NCAAT soccer game at 2. Not one time during the basketball game did they announce "hey fans, dont forget to walk across the street after the game to watch your #5 Pitt soccer team in an NCAAT match." Yea, maybe no one goes over but it cant hurt to put up a graphic

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Pretty good game. We had our chances, especially down the stretch. Game could have gone either way. Wish we had pulled it out.
Noel, with a brave diving header at the end of the match, nearly scored the upset goal.

I was at the game. There was a disappointing crowd for the #2 team in the country. The students were all jazzed up for their basketball opening night. I guess that is one excuse.

Pitt was much more physical the entire game. Duke looked quicker on the perimeter. Did the announcers make any issue with what looked like a certain first-half hand ball on Duke, one that appeared to prevent a certain goal for Pitt?

I thought our defense was pretty good last night. A few anxious moments but, all in all Duke did not roam free.

I was at the game. There was a disappointing crowd for the #2 team in the country. The students were all jazzed up for their basketball opening night. I guess that is one excuse.

Pitt was much more physical the entire game. Duke looked quicker on the perimeter. Did the announcers make any issue with what looked like a certain first-half hand ball on Duke, one that appeared to prevent a certain goal for Pitt?

I thought our defense was pretty good last night. A few anxious moments but, all in all Duke did not roam free.
I didn’t see it. I turned the game on in the first half but the handball must have been early - maybe inside the first 30 minutes? It is possible the game is archived on ESPN and I can go back and see.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT