ADVERTISEMENT

Portal players of Pitt interest--so far

DC_Area_Panther

Head Coach
Jul 7, 2001
It appears Pitt has already shown interest in the following five players in the portal--

Denver Jones, 6-4 Guard (Florida International University)
Zach Austin, 6-7 Forward (High Point)
Myles Stute, 6-7 Forward (Vanderbilt)
Damien Dunn 6-5 Guard, Temple
Jared Bynum 5-10 Point Guard, Providence

Both of the two forwards appear to be 3-types---neither seems to be power forward (4) type.

Last edited:
Reactions: hermdigity
I've mentioned Dunn, but haven't officially seen him linked to Pitt.

Did someone mention Charles Pride, Bryant? Thought I saw that name on here.

It appears Pitt has already shown interest in the following five players in the portal--

Denver Jones, 6-4 Guard (Florida International University)
Zach Austin, 6-7 Forward (High Point)
Myles Stute, 6-7 Forward (Vanderbilt)
James Dunn 6-5 Guard, Temple
Jared Bynum 5-10 Point Guard, Providence

Both of the two forwards appear to be 3-types---neither seems to be power forward (4) type.
Have seen a list for Dunn not including Pitt

Have not seen Bynum mentioned with Pitt

My buddy is a Princeton grad, and he says that they have a really good player who has to transfer because of Ivy League rules. I guess they’re only allowed to play a certain amount of years in that league, unlike the rest of D1. Possibly someone to keep an eye on — although I can’t remember his name. Anyone know who I’m referring to?

My buddy is a Princeton grad, and he says that they have a really good player who has to transfer because of Ivy League rules. I guess they’re only allowed to play a certain amount of years in that league, unlike the rest of D1. Possibly someone to keep an eye on — although I can’t remember his name. Anyone know who I’m referring to?
It has got to be Tosan Evbuomwan. He’s not a secret to anyone and will garner a ton of interest. Will be a great get for whoever gets him. And you have that correct. No grad students in the Ivy unless you do it in under 8 semesters. Once you graduate, that’s usually it for athletics.

Last edited:
My guess is the guard who tore it up last game, Ryan Langborg. He's from La Jolla, Cali., so my guess is the West Coast schools will be in play. He should go to SDSU since they have seven seniors on its current squad.

Last edited:
My guess is the guard who tore it up last game, Ryan Langborg. He's from La Jolla, Cali., so my guess is the West Coast schools will be in play. He should go to SDSU since they have seven seniors on its current squad.
Just a random thought here , a Princeton grad might actually consider the academic opportunities at the school he’s choosing ! Imagine that !

Just a random thought here , a Princeton grad might actually consider the academic opportunities at the school he’s choosing ! Imagine that !
Or not if the academics was a haul during your stay. Maybe you want basket weaving courses.

No doubt Jae’lyn Withers has talent. Louisville played him out of position (probably an SF but played C) and he played through multiple coaching issues. He’s worth the flyer if we have the spots.

No doubt Jae’lyn Withers has talent. Louisville played him out of position (probably an SF but played C) and he played through multiple coaching issues. He’s worth the flyer if we have the spots.

I am being more selective. I worry about players coming from losing programs/bad cultures. That was the worst coached team I've seen.

I am being more selective. I worry about players coming from losing programs/bad cultures. That was the worst coached team I've seen.
You don’t rule out a kid just because he’s from a losing program, he could be a good kid stuck in a bad situation .

Definitely seems like we’re prioritizing long guys who can shoot it in the early going here.

Portal season is interesting because it’s almost as telling to see the types of players that we *aren’t* reaching out to. We aren’t contacting point guards or centers. We are contacting a lot of guys who flex between the 2-4 spots.

Reactions: cabe23 and Drew1208
Definitely seems like we’re prioritizing long guys who can shoot it in the early going here.

Portal season is interesting because it’s almost as telling to see the types of players that we *aren’t* reaching out to. We aren’t contacting point guards or centers. We are contacting a lot of guys who flex between the 2-4 spots.
Good point. Also the taller they are the less of them there are. There's always a ton of good guards in there

Denver Jones would be a great addition. And there is some mutual interest that he could come here. That could be a real nice piece to the backcourt. 3 level scorer, athletic, 6'4, shoots free throws just under 90% and shoots 3's at 37%. Turnovers are a bit high, but had a high usage rate as he carried the offense at over 20 points per game.

He's going to be in high demand but this is the type of guard that we need. An athlete that can shoot and score in multiple ways to take over the SG position. 1st team all conference usa with 2 years left to play. Arkansas also appears to be coming hard among others.

They still won ACC games. Stallings disaster was worst ever.

The Stallings team was better. The computers would probably show that. The ACC was actually very good that year, a big reason why they couldn't win a game. They only had 8 or so realistic chances to win.

The Stallings team was better. The computers would probably show that. The ACC was actually very good that year, a big reason why they couldn't win a game. They only had 8 or so realistic chances to win.
Where would you rank Blake Hinson’s Iowa State team?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT