ADVERTISEMENT

Portal Recruiting Thread and Roster building

Any chance we get in the mix for the 7'1" center from Stanford?

No, the price tag is going to be way too high. We need to do some real digging here at center and need to recruit this position better. There are guys that put up bad stats their first few years that turned out to be really good players. Just look at Quinten Post's college career. He was a complete nobody his first 2 years at Mississippi State. We have to find somebody under the radar that can be a Gary Mcghee.

If we want to swing for the fences Big Cliff is transferring from Rutgers. Thats the type of player that could elevate us into a major contender. But the price tag will be way too high.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
Latest mock has Bub stable around 28th. Notes though that could improve status returning to school. https://syndication.bleacherreport....madness-could-blow-up-scout-rankings.amp.html

Also ranked at 46th here:

And 24th here, but again noting could test stock and not stick in class.

Last edited:
It appears Pitt may be in contact with former 5 star center Enoch Boakye, transfer from Fresno State. 6'11 250lb center with a 7'5 wingspan from Canada. Just opened up today. Shot 62% from the floor with 8 / 8 / 1 splits.

Will be some heavy hitters involved obviously.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
It appears Pitt may be in contact with former 5 star center Enoch Boakye, transfer from Fresno State. 6'11 250lb center with a 7'5 wingspan from Canada. Just opened up today. Shot 62% from the floor with 8 / 8 / 1 splits.

Will be some heavy hitters involved obviously.
If there are heavy hitters after this dude we might as well forget about bigs from the portal.

If there are heavy hitters after this dude we might as well forget about bigs from the portal.

Heavy Hitters was probably a poor word choice on my part as you may think that sounds like blue bloods. It was meant more to mean, other power 6 schools that are respectable and competitive.

With that said, center is by far the toughest position to recruit because of scarcity of anyone that is decent at that position. There are far more quality guards and wings and even forwards than quality centers. Its also the most expensive NIL position by a considerable margin.

Regarding this particular player. If I recall correctly ASU had to hire someone to get him to commit out of high school. I dont know why he went to Fresno State nor do I have much more information. He does have fouls issues which has limited his playing time.

Heavy Hitters was probably a poor word choice on my part as you may think that sounds like blue bloods. It was meant more to mean, other power 6 schools that are respectable and competitive.

With that said, center is by far the toughest position to recruit because of scarcity of anyone that is decent at that position. There are far more quality guards and wings and even forwards than quality centers. Its also the most expensive NIL position by a considerable margin.

Regarding this particular player. If I recall correctly ASU had to hire someone to get him to commit out of high school. I dont know why he went to Fresno State nor do I have much more information. He does have fouls issues which has limited his playing time.

Looks like a beefier version of Fede. I sure hope they can do better than that.

He didn't do anything at ASU and hardly played his 2nd year, that's why he transferred.

Looks like a beefier version of Fede. I sure hope they can do better than that.

He didn't do anything at ASU and hardly played his 2nd year, that's why he transferred.

He's young. He was originally committed to Tom Izzo and Michigan State and he also reclassed and came in early which was a big mistake on his part. He's only 20 year old.

This guy does one thing Ive been repeatedly talking about. He rebounds. He had a DR rebound rate of 30, almost 3 times as high as Fede this year.

All we need next year is a center that can play consistent good defense and rebounds at a far higher level than Fede or Guillermo and provide a little bit of offense. For Fede to score, we literally had to put the ball in the perfect position possible. And sometimes he still couldnt finish it.

He gets some info right, but if you mean correct on player evaluations go look at his 2020 class predictions and others. It’s downright embarrassing.

He has some good info every once in a while but he gets way too caught up in recruiting which is fluid and oversaturated plus advanced stats so it’s easy to dig on him.

I have some good info every once in a while and if it’s negative for Pitt or JC it is IMPERATIVE the white knights come out in defense of Pitt and Jc
Love every once and awhile !

Did this dude really foul out in 6 minutes versus Utah State to end the year? Gonna be a pass.

Center is also the most 'raw' position in College Basketball. We shouldn't invest starter or competitive money unless they're proven or fit a direct archetype.
Who said Fede got 150K?

An average starter gets about $150k, no way Fede got that, imo.

125-150 is the most commonly thrown around number here regarding Fede.

Kante has a 7'4" wing span and bulked up to 245+.

He may struggle because his skills are raw. He has no post game at all like young players these days. But he won't be undersized.
Yeah, video of him that I have seen, he does not look overly skinny, medium build to me. Definitely has some wing span.

Center is also the most 'raw' position in College Basketball. We shouldn't invest starter or competitive money unless they're proven or fit a direct archetype.

125-150 is the most commonly thrown around number here regarding Fede.
I find that very hard to believe. I could be wrong but I don't think anybody thought Fede was more than a project when we got him and clearly he hasn't been average.

I find that very hard to believe. I could be wrong but I don't think anybody thought Fede was more than a project when we got him and clearly he hasn't been average.

Like all players in the transfer portal, You will get your answer soon enough when his school list gets released.

Believe it. They had to fight off a number of high major suitors for him last offseason.

I can believe this to a degree after last season even with him fading down the back stretch when the better centers were taking him to the perimeter where he really struggled. He played pretty hard last year and certainly helped in games. After this year though, we'll see what he gets. Maybe someone like South Carolina if he's lucky since that is where his brother is going.

I can believe this to a degree after last season even with him fading down the back stretch when the better centers were taking him to the perimeter where he really struggled. He played pretty hard last year and certainly helped in games. After this year though, we'll see what he gets. Maybe someone like South Carolina if he's lucky since that is where his brother is going.
Yeah, I don’t know what the market will be for him this offseason, but last offseason it was apparently pretty strong, and that’s why he was compensated the way that he was.

I wouldn’t imagine it would be stronger this year, though. I don’t think we were going to give him the same amount we did this year, and I don’t blame him for seeing if he can find that level of comp elsewhere.

Yeah, I don’t know what the market will be for him this offseason, but last offseason it was apparently pretty strong, and that’s why he was compensated the way that he was.

I wouldn’t imagine it would be stronger this year, though. I don’t think we were going to give him the same amount we did this year, and I don’t blame him for seeing if he can find that level of comp elsewhere.
So what is the list of what players got? How much did Hinson take? Did the freshman get any? Twins? Leggett? Austin?

He's young. He was originally committed to Tom Izzo and Michigan State and he also reclassed and came in early which was a big mistake on his part. He's only 20 year old.

This guy does one thing Ive been repeatedly talking about. He rebounds. He had a DR rebound rate of 30, almost 3 times as high as Fede this year.

All we need next year is a center that can play consistent good defense and rebounds at a far higher level than Fede or Guillermo and provide a little bit of offense. For Fede to score, we literally had to put the ball in the perfect position possible. And sometimes he still couldnt finish it.
He's played 3 years in college. He's not young, and frankly doesn't move the needle at all.

He's played 3 years in college. He's not young, and frankly doesn't move the needle at all.

Anybody that has been around a basketball in their life understands bigs take longer to develop than any other position on the floor. And its really not all that close.

Thats not to say this guy is going to be an upgrade over Fede. We might not even want him. But he's 20 years old, not some 25 year old 6 year senior. Huge difference.

Anybody that has been around a basketball in their life understands bigs take longer to develop than any other position on the floor. And its really not all that close.

Thats not to say this guy is going to be an upgrade over Fede. We might not even want him. But he's 20 years old, not some 25 year old 6 year senior. Huge difference.
In 2 days he won't be 20 anymore, and I have no idea why you are lecturing me on big development timelines. Nobody is claiming they don't take longer to develop.

I'm simply stating this kid isn't an upgrade and the few stats you choose to cherry pick don't change that. He'd be an underwhelming addition.

I think that's the problem, he is bang average. Above average rim protector, below average (generous) offensive skillset outside of Offensive Rebounding.

He can go be an average starter somewhere else and probably make similar if not more money, even now. We just need a completely different profile player for our offense to function.

Do not be surprised if we trade post defense in favor of offense now that Hinson is gone. We will need to create more looks and rim runs with losing 40% shooting from the logo.

In 2 days he won't be 20 anymore, and I have no idea why you are lecturing me on big development timelines. Nobody is claiming they don't take longer to develop.

I'm simply stating this kid isn't an upgrade and the few stats you choose to cherry pick don't change that. He'd be an underwhelming addition.

Im not cherry picking the rebound stats. He is a far better rebounder than Fede and its not remotely close.

There was a 7 game stretch this season that little 5'10 Levance Fields was a far better rebounder than Fede on the defensive end of the basketball court. There is only one way to go when you are rock bottom at rebounding the basketball like Fede the majority of this year.

And for the record, Im happy Fede is gone.

While Im at it, I forgot Fede shot 40% from the foul line this year. Yes, you read that correctly, 40%.

Just like Wanamaker is the most underrated player in Pitt history. Fede is either at the top of the list or right at the top of the list as the most overrated player in Pitt history.

Federiko was not worth a scholarship on a team that has four other guys 6'10" and over. Put an adequate pick and roll dive man who can finish alley oops consistently there and we're in the tournament.

Im not cherry picking the rebound stats. He is a far better rebounder than Fede and its not remotely close.

There was a 7 game stretch this season that little 5'10 Levance Fields was a far better rebounder than Fede on the defensive end of the basketball court. There is only one way to go when you are rock bottom at rebounding the basketball like Fede the majority of this year.

And for the record, Im happy Fede is gone.
LOL, it actually is close. This dude averaged 7.7 last year and 4.4 for his career. Fede averaged 5.2 and 5.3. Maybe you can parse the competition they played too. ASU quit giving him minutes his 2nd year and he went to Fresno.

This dude you're pimpin shot under 50% from the free throw like as well. He's a beefier version of Fede. I know you'll never acknowledge he's no different so have free to hang on his rebounding margin. I'd rather have Fede back than this dude.

LOL, it actually is close. This dude averaged 7.7 last year and 4.4 for his career. Fede averaged 5.2 and 5.3. Maybe you can parse the competition they played too. ASU quit giving him minutes his 2nd year and he went to Fresno.

This dude you're pimpin shot under 50% from the free throw like as well. He's a beefier version of Fede. I know you'll never acknowledge he's no different so have free to hang on his rebounding margin. I'd rather have Fede back than this dude.

DR rebound rate

Fede- 15
Boakye- 29.7

This is twice as high as Fede.

Strength of schedule

Pitt-82
Fresno State-92

Actual rebounds per game

Fede- 5.2
Boakye- 7.7

And LOL at you using career averages to justify anything. That is seriously some dumb level stuff right there. Hey buddy, Quinten Post averaged 2 points per game his first 2 seasons in college basketball at Mississippi State. His last 2 seasons at Boston College he was an ACC All league selection.

And Im not pimping anybody.

So is this Kante at like the 2 minute mark rebounding?
Yes
While Im at it, I forgot Fede shot 40% from the foul line this year. Yes, you read that correctly, 40%.

Just like Wanamaker is the most underrated player in Pitt history. Fede is either at the top of the list or right at the top of the list as the most overrated player in Pitt history.
lol he’s not rated highly by anyone? The change from Hugley to him was the entire basis of the entire change in offensive philosophies though so he is definitely Capel’s most important recruit. GDG wasn’t ready to play and Hugley would’ve cost them even getting to 10 wins last year. So he extended the Capel era further any other player has

Reactions: pittchagg
Yes

lol he’s not rated highly by anyone? The change from Hugley to him was the entire basis of the entire change in offensive philosophies though so he is definitely Capel’s most important recruit. GDG wasn’t ready to play and Hugley would’ve cost them even getting to 10 wins last year. So he extended the Capel era further any other player has
Who Fede? No way, that was Cummings and Hinson

Absolutely was. Hugely keeps playing they win 10 games and he’s out of a job. Entire team changed once they went space and pace and had a pulse of a defender on the other side which made everyone else better
They might have won 30-35 games total over the past two years with Hugley as the 30 minute per game 5. Upgrading to Fede (and everything that was involved with the switch to Fede) makes him a 10-12 win player. He was worth every penny!

What's your take on Dishon Jackson?

Heavy footed. He's listed at 260lb and he might be pushing 270+ in some of his tape. He's big. Space eater, ok scoring ability from the tape Ive seen with some ability to put the ball on the floor. Quality passing ability for a big man, something I value. If we got his weight down it would really help him move better and help him on the glass. He would easily be able to hold his ground against anyone in the ACC in terms of not getting backed down, but he's going to need to shed some weight for us to get a rebound advantage over Fede. He's got real schools coming at him from the Big 10, SEC, ACC, etc..

Reactions: PITT 76
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT