ADVERTISEMENT

Portal target thread

We need a 2/3 for sure, possibly a young 4 and possibly a 1. Let’s start deep diving into who we can target in portal with the firings.

Ole Miss/GT/ND players?
Losing 3 ball handlers. I really would like an experienced 1/2. Judah Mintz will probably go to a program with deep pockets? I’d be happy with another 5th year guy like Nelly.

We need a 2/3 for sure, possibly a young 4 and possibly a 1. Let’s start deep diving into who we can target in portal with the firings.

Ole Miss/GT/ND players?
Guys from those teams to look at for sure. But IMO there will be a LOT of good guys in the Portal. And it wouldn’t surprise me if Jeff Capel’s phone will be blowing up with talented players who will contact him about wanting to come to play here.

Pitt plays an attractive and exciting style. The Pete is a great venue. Pitt is a tremendous school and Pittsburgh as a city has a very nice vibe: not too big; not too small.

This is a fabulous opportunity for Pitt to “make some hay” in the Portal. As well as to get in on some more outstanding HS recruits. The right mix and balance of ingredients (youth and experience) is the key to the recipe for success now with the Portal available.

Poor Jimmy B. He whined yesterday that he had to play his 17-18 y/o kids vs Pitt’s “men”. 😂

Awww! Like Jimmy couldn’t have used the Portal, too. He effed up and now wants to cry about it try to cover his @$$. 😢😢

Guys from those teams to look at for sure. But IMO there will be a LOT of good guys in the Portal. And it wouldn’t surprise me if Jeff Capel’s phone will be blowing up with talented players who will contact him about wanting to come to play here.

Pitt plays an attractive and exciting style. The Pete is a great venue. Pitt is a tremendous school and Pittsburgh as a city has a very nice vibe: not too big; not too small.

This is a fabulous opportunity for Pitt to “make some hay” in the Portal. As well as to get in on some more outstanding HS recruits. The right mix and balance of ingredients (youth and experience) is the key to the recipe for success now with the Portal available.

Poor Jimmy B. He whined yesterday that he had to play his 17-18 y/o kids vs Pitt’s “men”. 😂

Awww! Like Jimmy couldn’t have used the Portal, too. He effed up and now wants to cry about it try to cover his @$$. 😢😢
A nice little postseason run would go a long way toward attracting some of the better transfer prospects. Kids want to know they will be playing meaningful games in March.

A nice little postseason run would go a long way toward attracting some of the better transfer prospects. Kids want to know they will be playing meaningful games in March.
Sure that would help. No doubt. But the guys you are recruiting for next year and beyond aren’t playing for Pitt right now.

You sell them on the idea they can come here and be even BETTER. And this year’s performance lends credence to the fact that CAN be done here right now, with the right players.

Curious how many spots are open and what Jeffress may have him in? If Dior stays? I mean they may have some solid options sticking. Not to sidetrack this thread but did Maleek attend yesterday? That may go a long way for 2025. He was probably like under ten the last time Pitt had that sort of success.

Capel is going to be the ACC Coach of the year and we are 1 win away from an ACC regular season championship.

We have plenty to sell recruits, on top of the fact we are returning a loaded frontcourt with 3 four star top 100 guards ready to play.

This is going to be the most exciting offseason in a while, both the transfer portal and 2024 recruits.

Am I insane for thinking we are still need an interior presence for next season? In addition to needing to find new ways to score, defensive rebounding also offers a ton of room for improvement--an area where we can help offset certain losses. Obviously Fede is a great asset, but it just seems like we need something else down there - perhaps not even a 5 but a more traditional 4 - in addition to him an Diaz Graham (and maybe Hugley).

Reactions: Parkview57
Am I insane for thinking we are still need an interior presence for next season? In addition to needing to find new ways to score, defensive rebounding also offers a ton of room for improvement--an area where we can help offset certain losses. Obviously Fede is a great asset, but it just seems like we need something else down there - perhaps not even a 5 but a more traditional 4 - in addition to him an Diaz Graham (and maybe Hugley).
I think they do but that’s mainly because I don’t think Diaz Graham is good enough to be the main guy if Fede were to get hurt for any significant time

Reactions: cabe23
I think they do but that’s mainly because I don’t think Diaz Graham is good enough to be the main guy if Fede were to get hurt for any significant time

It just feels like, with Fede's game being what it is, his value is somewhat contingent on having a bunch of other guys out there who can find ways to score. And we're going to be losing a lot of that with Burton already, and who knows what effect the guys we're losing will have on Hinson's efficiency? Like if Pitt football loses a great receiver, I don't think we necessarily have to chase his ghost; instead, we can find ways to run the ball better if it's more realistic. I guess that's kind of how I view points in the paint next season: Lots of untapped potential if we can get a guy in here who can do it (much easier said than done, of course, and I know the game is different now). Fede is the gold glove shortstop who hits .240 with like 5 home runs.

Of course, it's also possible that I am just an idiot.

Our guards dont rebound well and aren't good at rebounding, especially Cummings and Elliot.

We are losing (statistically) one of the worst rebounding guards in the ACC (Cummings) and adding the best rebounding guard in the entire 2022 recruiting class (Dior-who led all guards in the EYBL at 7.5 per game).

We are also adding Carrington at 6'6, who, can also really rebound on the wing, which is where I project him at to start off.

There are way too many moving parts to actually answer this question right now, but I get having the thought as the season winds down.

Are any of Hugley, Dior, Jeffress, or Santos on the team next year? Who knows, but let’s do some quick math. We’re losing 5 scholarship seniors, which are currently being replaced by 3 recruits.

So minimum 2 transfer spots are available, but I could see that rise even up to 5 spots even.

I think regardless you need to focus again on veteran guards who can shoot at all positions of need. No need to change up the formula.

Anything outside of that will be contingent upon who else stays/goes, and even so, the focus should be veteran guard play. Big man depth is a non-factor if you don’t start with filling out the backcourt.

In regards to specific players, it’s an absolute crapshoot until we know who would be leaving their teams. None of our current seniors that transferred in were on anyone’s radar prior to being here, if I remember correctly.

Handpicking players from other teams means nothing if they don’t gel, so it’s a pointless exercise, although yes, we’re all very curious what the roster construction might be.

Coletrain Washington for a backup 2/3 from Quaker Valley/Drexel

Philip Alston from Loyola/Cal U

Puff Johnson

Our guards dont rebound well and aren't good at rebounding, especially Cummings and Elliot.

We are losing (statistically) one of the worst rebounding guards in the ACC (Cummings) and adding the best rebounding guard in the entire 2022 recruiting class (Dior-who led all guards in the EYBL at 7.5 per game).

We are also adding Carrington at 6'6, who, can also really rebound on the wing, which is where I project him at to start off.

Well that gives me some solace. Maybe I put too much of our rebounding woes on having Hinson at the 4. But the other side of the coin is that you probably have to live with some of that given the offense he brings to the table, and he doesn't seem like someone you'd want guarding the 3 (can't say I've paid enough attention to know how frequently of an occurrences that has been this season, but it doesn't seem like it has been).

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
There are way too many moving parts to actually answer this question right now, but I get having the thought as the season winds down.

Are any of Hugley, Dior, Jeffress, or Santos on the team next year? Who knows, but let’s do some quick math. We’re losing 5 scholarship seniors, which are currently being replaced by 3 recruits.

So minimum 2 transfer spots are available, but I could see that rise even up to 5 spots even.

I think regardless you need to focus again on veteran guards who can shoot at all positions of need. No need to change up the formula.

Anything outside of that will be contingent upon who else stays/goes, and even so, the focus should be veteran guard play. Big man depth is a non-factor if you don’t start with filling out the backcourt.

In regards to specific players, it’s an absolute crapshoot until we know who would be leaving their teams. None of our current seniors that transferred in were on anyone’s radar prior to being here, if I remember correctly.

Handpicking players from other teams means nothing if they don’t gel, so it’s a pointless exercise, although yes, we’re all very curious what the roster construction might be.

I want 2 quality Sg's, and it can be both from the portal or it can be 1 portal 1 high school. Or 1 Sg and 1 CG

Jordan Dingle from Penn who does a lot of the stuff Burton does and is going to transfer with 4 Star Malachi Palmer would work well, for example.

Reactions: PittMan2003
@pittchagg
Has been following staff follows and thru out some interesting guard names

Rayj Dennis being very interesting

Reactions: cabe23
I love watching that Yuri Collins play more than anything.

All I know is if you want these top transfers, we better pass the hat around and get some $$$ for the bags

I want 2 quality Sg's, and it can be both from the portal or it can be 1 portal 1 high school. Or 1 Sg and 1 CG

Jordan Dingle from Penn who does a lot of the stuff Burton does and is going to transfer with 4 Star Malachi Palmer would work well, for example.
The most important part of Burton’s game doesn’t show up in any stat sheet. He can’t just be replaced with statistics.

I'm not as concerned about the front court because I think Fede and the twins physiques will be notably improved next year such they can withstand the bumping that goes on underneath the boards. I would concentrate on getting shooters and a experienced Point guard. Shooters are the biggest difference I've seen in this team compared to players over the last 10 years. You always had 4 guys on the floor who could shoot so the defense couldn't concentrate on any one player. Dior will be one of them, I believe, as he seems so tight with the guys on the team and seems to have bought in at Pitt. I would not expect Hugley back, however.

I'm not as concerned about the front court because I think Fede and the twins physiques will be notably improved next year such they can withstand the bumping that goes on underneath the boards. I would concentrate on getting shooters and a experienced Point guard. Shooters are the biggest difference I've seen in this team compared to players over the last 10 years. You always had 4 guys on the floor who could shoot so the defense couldn't concentrate on any one player. Dior will be one of them, I believe, as he seems so tight with the guys on the team and seems to have bought in at Pitt. I would not expect Hugley back, however.
Coach said it himself that it’s easier and more fun to coach when the ball goes in the basket.

I was thinking about Dingle. It seems as if the Penn offense goes through Dingle and he’s a high volume shooter.My concern would be that at Pitt he wouldn’t necessarily be the man as opposed to the role he plays now, which is he takes most of the shots on O. Averaging over 23 points per game , but only 2 assists. Decent size. I like that he’s another mature older player. Someone mentioned Coletrain Washington. He graduated high school in 2018. He’s be another old guy. Possibly 24 years old next season.

I was thinking about Dingle. It seems as if the Penn offense goes through Dingle and he’s a high volume shooter.My concern would be that at Pitt he wouldn’t necessarily be the man as opposed to the role he plays now, which is he takes most of the shots on O. Averaging over 23 points per game , but only 2 assists. Decent size. I like that he’s another mature older player. Someone mentioned Coletrain Washington. He graduated high school in 2018. He’s be another old guy. Possibly 24 years old next season.
Washington’s a Quaker Valley grad. Not that it would matter, but has Pitt had a QV alum on the hoops roster since Keith Starr?

He has a really high usage rate. With that usage rate coming down, I would expect his shooting percentage and efficiency to both go up.

A couple more I like

Ven Allen Lubin has a lot of potential. Potential transfer from Notre Dame, we recruited him in high school. High level rebounder that can score on the inside at the 4. Athletic. Since Mike Brey really likes Capel, why not for a transfer from their program. Good solid numbers for a freshmen and has gotten a lot better over the course of the season.

Yann Farrell is a player I really wanted out of high school but somehow ended up at St. Bonaventure. Good on the glass, shoots the 3 ball at a high level. Pitt was recruiting him hard and Im not sure what ended up going wrong. He's a high level candidate to end up somewhere in the power 6.

Ben Sheppard is a nice looking SG from Belmont. Quick, makes a lot of 3's and decent passer and rebounder. Good height around 6'6 but will probably be in high demand. He fits in really well with what we really need and could be really dangerous with Dior and Carrington.

Obviously Federico is going to get stronger but he's already strong enough. Now the twins should look and play a lot different next year.

Pitt should be an attractive option for portal players this off season. Look at the impacts they’re all making. Maybe a Georgetown recruit? Besides other schools who’ve fired their coaches. Thinking Pitt will have 3-5 scholarships to work with. A couple shooters and best player(s) available.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT