ADVERTISEMENT

Possible WR transfer

4upmc

Junior
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2017

At least 3 open ships for this year so could be worth a shot…

Reactions: HTownSteeler

At least 3 open ships for this year so could be worth a shot…
WR and LB are two areas we need to address in the portal. Jackson reportedly ran a 4.41 and put up big numbers last year. A lot of schools are starting to offer him.

Reactions: 4upmc
WR and LB are two areas we need to address in the portal. Jackson reportedly ran a 4.41 and put up big numbers last year. A lot of schools are starting to offer him.
Agree we need depth and more talent at those spots. 4.41 with big numbers is worth a shot for sure. Hopefully we find a plug a play LB like Wiltz

Need a WR and a LB, and then I think DL (both DT and DE) has some bodies... but I'm just not sure how impactful they will be. Seems like most of the more high ceiling guys will be pretty young this season.

He's big and fast. It's probably expecting too much for a D2 player to come in to the ACC and contribute big things at WR. But if we have an open spot he's worth a flier.

If he's that fast, I don't see why we can't. There are D2 players who go from there to the NFL. I feel like receiver is one of the most translatable positions. Like if a dude can go from high school to producing as a freshman, surely he can be productive at 21 or whatever his age is.

Now what Wiltz did last season... THAT I did not see coming.

I mean I get you're not ruling out the possibility... just saying not to expect it. That's fair. But consider me hopeful and non-shocked if he works out.

If he's that fast, I don't see why we can't. There are D2 players who go from there to the NFL. I feel like receiver is one of the most translatable positions. Like if a dude can go from high school to producing as a freshman, surely he can be productive at 21 or whatever his age is.

I mean I get you're not ruling out the possibility... just saying not to expect it. That's fair. But consider me hopeful and non-shocked if he works out.
If he’s that fast then why wouldn’t he enter the draft and or try to cut an Fa deal. Seems like a kid with his size and speed would at least be able to latch on to an NFL practice squad

Important consideration. Yes he fast an has requisite height and build. But… can he consistently get out of coverage and catch the ball ?

If he’s that fast then why wouldn’t he enter the draft and or try to cut an Fa deal. Seems like a kid with his size and speed would at least be able to latch on to an NFL practice squad

Well they're all able to put general feelers out there with NFL teams and get some feedback on what would be best. This might be what they advised him to do.

And then I guess there's the fallback that even if you don't make the NFL you're able to say you played major college football.

I dunno, I actually think WR is one of the hardest positions to go up in competition. It's very, very technical. That's part of the reason why I think Addison will make it in the NFL. He can do a lot of things - get open, catch, high point - that take a long time to develop and he wins even though he's small. But I digress.

Plus isn't Cal a good D2 program? So he could be going against really bad competition.

Don't get me wrong, he has good size and speed and he was productive. He's not a bad bet, especially if we have an open ship and nothing to lose. But if Mumpfield had a tough time going from the MAC to the ACC as the conference freshman of the year, I'm going to assume that nearly all D2 WRs will have an even tougher time.

I dunno, I actually think WR is one of the hardest positions to go up in competition. It's very, very technical. That's part of the reason why I think Addison will make it in the NFL. He can do a lot of things - get open, catch, high point - that take a long time to develop and he wins even though he's small. But I digress.

Plus isn't Cal a good D2 program? So he could be going against really bad competition.

Don't get me wrong, he has good size and speed and he was productive. He's not a bad bet, especially if we have an open ship and nothing to lose. But if Mumpfield had a tough time going from the MAC to the ACC as the conference freshman of the year, I'm going to assume that nearly all D2 WRs will have an even tougher time.

I guess I just feel like we always assume high school linemen will need a few years to get stronger and develop technique, etc., whereas we always say receivers can be impactful as a freshman... and this dude has the primary tangible (speed) for that position. Obviously it's not a guarantee or anything; but I'd probably take my chances on a skilled position guy over someone who hs been pushing ragdolls out of the way for 3-4 years. Guys like Tyreek Hill, Adam Thielen, etc. have all made jumps from that level (I think) to the NFL, but I get that you could probably find some examples at other positions, too.

We'll see. Either way, I think we can all agree we're scanty at the position and better bring in someone from somewhere. Like someone said above, we should have 5+ spots to work with after Spring attrition.

I guess I just feel like we always assume high school linemen will need a few years to get stronger and develop technique, etc., whereas we always say receivers can be impactful as a freshman... and this dude has the primary tangible (speed) for that position. Obviously it's not a guarantee or anything; but I'd probably take my chances on a skilled position guy over someone who hs been pushing ragdolls out of the way for 3-4 years. Guys like Tyreek Hill, Adam Thielen, etc. have all made jumps from that level (I think) to the NFL, but I get that you could probably find some examples at other positions, too.

We'll see. Either way, I think we can all agree we're scanty at the position and better bring in someone from somewhere. Like someone said above, we should have 5+ spots to work with after Spring attrition.

Yeah I think it depends on what your definition of "impactful" is. Last year Mumpfield had 550 yards and Means had 400. I would bet that this guy has less than either of those. Is that "impactful?" I dunno. But the WR room is fairly open and there's no one who is guaranteed 80+ targets. Nothing really stopping this guy from doing as much or more than either of them.

Anyway, Hill went to Oklahoma State. He bounced around community college and D2 because he was a headcase. But he could play. Thielen took 3 years to become a regular contributor. And those guys are outliers. Most of the D2 WR are special teams guys like Gunner O or Ashton Dulin. Some WR4-5 types like Keelan Cole and Mike Stratchan. Nothing wrong with those players, but Hill and Thielen are really the only 2 good ones in the NFL and Hill doesn't really count IMO. https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2021-09-02/every-dii-and-diii-player-2021-nfl-roster

Yeah I think it depends on what your definition of "impactful" is. Last year Mumpfield had 550 yards and Means had 400. I would bet that this guy has less than either of those. Is that "impactful?" I dunno. But the WR room is fairly open and there's no one who is guaranteed 80+ targets. Nothing really stopping this guy from doing as much or more than either of them.

Anyway, Hill went to Oklahoma State. He bounced around community college and D2 because he was a headcase. But he could play. Thielen took 3 years to become a regular contributor. And those guys are outliers. Most of the D2 WR are special teams guys like Gunner O or Ashton Dulin. Some WR4-5 types like Keelan Cole and Mike Stratchan. Nothing wrong with those players, but Hill and Thielen are really the only 2 good ones in the NFL and Hill doesn't really count IMO. https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2021-09-02/every-dii-and-diii-player-2021-nfl-roster

Oh I would take another Araujo-Lopes in a second. Like, I think we're going to be HURTING at the position and any production is good production. I fully expect the two tight end set to be ran to a point where posters are promising to impale Cignetti and/or each other in the game threads.

I thought our receivers were an overall minus last season even with Wayne. And, though I do think the Killer M's are better than what their stats were last season, if Mumpfield or Means were to go down, which has been common for our receivers over the past few years, that's about all she wrote.

I know Alston has checked out well so far, but color me skeptical when he had zero receptions in a season where we were starving at the position at times.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
1 yr? I'd vote 100% take. Would be a lucky late pick up.
Alot of seekers now though.

The next wave of transfers are about to start coming on the market.

This is when Addison become available. This is when WVU had that run of their best players leaving.

If you have think your wallet is fat enough, maybe you hold out for some of the upper tier ones.

If not, just grabbing bodies like this as they become available, probably isn’t a bad idea.

Pitt got in on Jaquae very very late and don't understand why. Rutgers is all over him. He's visiting Pitt this weekend H2P!!!

Reactions: bschulter
WR/CB are 2 positions where HS players can slip and end up signing at a lower level due to many reasons but mainly if they didn't have a good QB or play in an offense that got them the ball. I've seen D2 guys who were D1 guys because of the scenarios above.

DB is another position that many coaches have to reach on because they often don't see on film the requisite technique or athleticism to play at the highest levels. A lot of reaches and misses because if your a corner in HS ball, you're usually seeing about 35-40 snaps a game. Of those snaps, you might see 10-12 passes in many cases.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT