ADVERTISEMENT

QB Recruiting

poconopanther

Redshirt
Jul 5, 2001
first let me say this. If we could get a prospect to campus this staff does a fine job of selling all the great things Pitt has to sell. I am impressed by Duzz recent hires. I think we finally have a good group of recruiters and I like the speed and athleticism we are getting commitments from including some offensive talent. However but correct me if I am wrong but of the nearly thirty visitors the pas few months we have hosted none have been QBs. What gives here? When Pickett uses up his eligibility after this year and thereafter what can we expect. We still don’t know what we have in the backups in Beville and Yellin who were both borderline four stars coming out of high school and veteran Nick Patti. We also have the big kid from Texas with good size and limited experience at the position to develop but it would seem to me that we need to bring in a Qb for this class for sure with attrition at this position so common for college programs. Hopefully a dual threat type QB . Perhaps the staff is gonna look into the transfer portal this off season but there is no guarantee there. Any thoughts?

Yes we have problems recruiting QBs. Until we have success on offense that will be the case. I expect this season the O will do better!

Yes we have problems recruiting QBs. Until we have success on offense that will be the case. I expect this season the O will do better!

Is there any evidence of this? I look around the country and see teams with routinely bad offenses, land 4* QBs. That can actually be a benefit to you when selling early playing time.

Sellers sell.

We haven’t had a big time recruiter recruiting QBs in years. Anybody actually think Grandpa Whipple is a smooth operator on the trail?
broken record here but having your OC doubling as your qb coach and that qb / oc isnt exactly a road warrior with recruiting, building relationships, knocking on high school doors in the off-season like you said, does not help in the least..

It appears to me that we are seeing a transition into a Brennan Marion Go-Go offense. I'm thinking Whipple's time here will come to an end when Pickett goes pro. They didn't want to start a new scheme his senior year. Marion will want to bring in his guy to run the offense. It's obvious he can recruit. Why have Whipple recruit a QB now? Marion will make it work with what he has on roster until he recruits and develops his QB

Last edited:
I hope the kid turns out to be the next Burrow, but I hope you weren't trying to use him as an example of a "big time" qb recruit.
4 star, that's as big as it gets for us. if you are waiting for a 5 star high school QB recruit, you better find a new team to root for because i can assure it, it wont happen at pitt. not for whipple or any other OC we'll ever have..

Beville looked good in the spring game and is probably the most athletic Qb other than KP on the roster but even though he was a high three low four star recruit out of high school I dont believe his offer sheet was that impressive .
he was a 4 star, rated the 11th best pro style qb recruit that year. again, for Pitt, that's as high as it gets. you guys expecting or hoping for a 5 star to look at pitt are crazy. Manning's son or nephew is a 5 star high school QB recruit, guess what school isnt on his list?

you want the best player coming out of high school at the most important position. me too. it's just not going to happen..

Beville looked good in the spring game and is probably the most athletic Qb other than KP on the roster but even though he was a high three low four star recruit out of high school I dont believe his offer sheet was that impressive .
Have not seen the Beville athleticism.

Reactions: Millerton24
It is fairly obvious Pitt will be taking a transfer QB this recruiting season.

Will come in with an excellent chance to start.

That was my thought as well. They have 4 scholarship QBs (Patti, Yellen, Beville and Yarnell) returning for 2022. If one of those leaves or if none show promise after this coming season, they’ll probably try to get someone from the portal. Otherwise they might just wait until the 2023 class to take a QB.

4 star, that's as big as it gets for us. if you are waiting for a 5 star high school QB recruit, you better find a new team to root for because i can assure it, it wont happen at pitt. not for whipple or any other OC we'll ever have..
I guess I'm just confused about how a kid can go from unranked at his position to 4-star in a month with just 2 Power-5 offers, none from his region. He was certainly not ranked that highly prior to signing with Pitt and none of the other sites held him near that regard.

If I told you that we beat out only Northwestern and Rutgers (2018 Rutgers not 2021 Rutgers) for a recruit, would you really think that was big time?

I guess I'm just confused about how a kid can go from unranked at his position to 4-star in a month with just 2 Power-5 offers, none from his region. He was certainly not ranked that highly prior to signing with Pitt and none of the other sites held him near that regard.

If I told you that we beat out only Northwestern and Rutgers (2018 Rutgers not 2021 Rutgers) for a recruit, would you really think that was big time?
so you are going to disregard rankings and his overall position rating by rivals and use offers to prove your point. ok, knock yourself out.. Rivals had him as 12th best pro style qb and the other site had him as 18th best pro style qb.. but ignore that and go with whatever helps support your point..

huff and puff and stomp your feet til we get the best qb recruit out of high school all you want. im just warning you, you are gonna be there for awhile..

Hmm, Cincinnati and Northwestern must have been recruiting pretty well around 2018 since they both certainly had excellent seasons last year.

Hmm, Cincinnati and Northwestern must have been recruiting pretty well around 2018 since they both certainly had excellent seasons last year.
cincy signed a big time QB not too long ago. dont think he was a 5 star though but a very highly rated 4 star. he was from cincy though as i recall. maybe a year or two ago. not sure if he has played yet..

He was a Composite 0.8638 before signing that went to a composite 0.8701 at the next ranking.

so you are going to disregard rankings and his overall position rating by rivals and use offers to prove your point. ok, knock yourself out.. Rivals had him as 12th best pro style qb and the other site had him as 18th best pro style qb.. but ignore that and go with whatever helps support your point..

huff and puff and stomp your feet til we get the best qb recruit out of high school all you want. im just warning you, you are gonna be there for awhile..
So your idea of "elite qb recruit" is the 39th rated high school qb in the country? Also, Rivals had him as the 18th best pro-style qb when he signed, not 12th.

Look, he was a solid recruit for Pitt and I was glad when Pitt landed him. I am generally pleased with Narduzzi's efforts as a whole in recruiting. I am reasonable about Pitt's chances and laugh every time I see posters predict 9 & 10-win seasons every year in prediction threads. I don't expect Pitt to land a top 10 QB recruit in any season.

But that doesn't change the definition of "BIG TIME QB RECRUIT" and I'm sorry but #39 in the country does not fit that title.

Reactions: cashisking884
So your idea of "elite qb recruit" is the 39th rated high school qb in the country? Also, Rivals had him as the 18th best pro-style qb when he signed, not 12th.

Look, he was a solid recruit for Pitt and I was glad when Pitt landed him. I am generally pleased with Narduzzi's efforts as a whole in recruiting. I am reasonable about Pitt's chances and laugh every time I see posters predict 9 & 10-win seasons every year in prediction threads. I don't expect Pitt to land a top 10 QB recruit in any season.

But that doesn't change the definition of "BIG TIME QB RECRUIT" and I'm sorry but #39 in the country does not fit that title.
now he's 39th? when and how did this happen.

all im saying is, if you guys need a 5 star qb out of high school to come to pitt before pitt can win 10 games, well then it's not gonna happen. with us in the acc, we can win 10 games with good (but not great) qb play. we arent in the SEC or big 10, we can make it happen.

There is more than one way to skin a cat. good Qb play with our schedule can get us there. i'd love for the 5 star qb to say no to alabama and ohio state and come play for whipple but im just not a fan of mind altering drugs..

now he's 39th? when and how did this happen.
The E site had him the 33rd best pocket passer, and above 60th in overall QBs.
Another had him at 39th overall and 39th in composite
This site had him at 18th pro-style before jumping to 11th pro-style 6 months later in December. If you look at QBs rated below his new rating you see a bunch of kids with 9-20 P5 offers by comparison.

Again, solid recruit for Pitt and hope the kid plays lights out. Fine, I guess we can agree that this was a "big time qb for Pitt" but I doubt the type of "big time" the original poster was referring to.

he was a 4 star, rated the 11th best pro style qb recruit that year. again, for Pitt, that's as high as it gets. you guys expecting or hoping for a 5 star to look at pitt are crazy. Manning's son or nephew is a 5 star high school QB recruit, guess what school isnt on his list?

you want the best player coming out of high school at the most important position. me too. it's just not going to happen..

Technically we did get the best when Max Browne (5 stars) transferred to PITT :)

He wanted Clemson then any SEC school after, he didn't have big time offers , then by a friendship between an old Pitt coach and his high school coaches got him to Pitt, ask him

He wanted Clemson then any SEC school after, he didn't have big time offers , then by a friendship between an old Pitt coach and his high school coaches got him to Pitt, ask him
Can you to repost in English?

The word “can” is the question.

It appears to me that we are seeing a transition into a Brennan Marion Go-Go offense. I'm thinking Whipple's time here will come to an end when Pickett goes pro. They didn't want to start a new scheme his senior year. Marion will want to bring in his guy to run the offense. It's obvious he can recruit. Why have Whipple recruit a QB now? Marion will make it work with what he has on roster until he recruits and develops his QB

Hope this is right.

Sorry. I don’t think it is okay for us to say we can’t expect to land good QBs at Pitt. Very good recruiters can get very good QBs to commit. I don’t want to hear any more excuses about not having this or that.

The administration poured.lots of money into improving the facilities for PN and his players and to help PN land big recruits. They also are now paying him very handsomely for his job. It’s up to him now to show he can hire the right coaches/recruiters and bring in multiple high level ACC talent at each positions- even QB.

There should always be at lest two very capable QBs, RBs, TEs on the roster all times. Not necessarily 5 star level but 4 star for sure. Think Tyler Palko and Joe FlThink JP Holtz and Scott Orndoff. Think Conner and Ollison We haven’t had two players at that kind of level for years now. It’s not be acceptable. We need to stop pretending expectation have to be mediocre at Pitt because of (add some lame excuse here). If PN and staff are starting to find and land some good DBs down in Florida, why can’t they reel in a few QBs too. A head college football coach making $4.7 million a year ought to be bringing in good players at ALL positions. Let’s get it done coach.

Last edited:
Sorry. I don’t think it is okay for us to say we can’t expect to land good QBs at Pitt. Very good recruiters can get very good QBs to commit. I don’t want to hear any more excuses about not having this or that.

The administration poured.lots of money into improving the facilities for PN and his players and to help PN land big recruits. They also are now paying him very handsomely for his job. It’s up to him now to show he can hire the right coaches/recruiters and bring in multiple high level ACC talent at each positions- even QB.

There should always be at lest two very capable QBs, RBs, TEs on the roster all times. Not necessarily 5 star level but 4 star for sure. Think Tyler Palko and Joe FlThink JP Holtz and Scott Orndoff. Think Conner and Ollison We haven’t had two players at that kind of level for years now. It’s not be acceptable. We need to stop pretending expectation have to be mediocre at Pitt because of (add some lame excuse here). If PN and staff are starting to find and land some good DBs down in Florida, why can’t they reel in a few QBs too. A head college football coach making $4.7 million a year ought to be bringing in good players at ALL positions. Let’s get it done coach.

The disappointing thing about QB recruiting is how evenly dispersed it is amongst teams once transfers hit. Big time players all go to the same schools, one wins the job, and the others transfer.

Sometimes they transfer to other big time schools (Fields to OSU), and yes, they frequently stay within the geographic region of where they are from/at (Milton from UCF to FSU).

But you also see a lot “where else you going to go?” type QB transferring. (Rising from Texas to Utah.)

You don’t have a lot of teams striking out at QB talent acquisition at all levels. We really stand out in that regard. Can’t do it from the high school level. Can’t do it in the transfer portal.

The disappointing thing about QB recruiting is how evenly dispersed it is amongst teams once transfers hit. Big time players all go to the same schools, one wins the job, and the others transfer.

Sometimes they transfer to other big time schools (Fields to OSU), and yes, they frequently stay within the geographic region of where they are from/at (Milton from UCF to FSU).

But you also see a lot “where else you going to go?” type QB transferring. (Rising from Texas to Utah.)

You don’t have a lot of teams striking out at QB talent acquisition at all levels. We really stand out in that regard. Can’t do it from the high school level. Can’t do it in the transfer portal.

They have 5 scholarship QBs and Pickett is a 4 year starter, so I can understand that impacting how they recruit and how recruits view it as an opportunity. But after that it will get interesting. Patti will be a senior next year and depending if / how he or the backup plays this fall, the staff may have to get a transfer, get a priority QB in 2023 or both.

That said, plenty of other programs would gladly take a Pickett at QB. Not saying that Pitt couldn’t improve his competition, but I think a bigger issue has been the failure to recruit playmakers and linemen around him.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT