ADVERTISEMENT

QB Recruiting

Im talking about *this* staff.

Browne wasn’t a breakthrough. Nobody wanted him. He wasn’t a big time portal land. He was a 5* that would be a 3* if reassessed when he committed to us. That’s not a win on the trail.

Beville was an okay ranked 3* in the 247 composite.
Beville was a 4-star here and ranked the 11th best pro-style QB in the class.

The industry consensus was he was an decent 3*. He wasn’t the kind of breakthrough recruit people are hyping him up to be.

Yeah. I think we can differentiate (somewhat) who is a true "4 star" recruit by composite + offers. I mean one site had Pat Bostick rated as a 5 star. On no planet was he a 5 star. Great Pitt man, great ambassador, not a great or good QB.

Plus, and I did this analysis before, no position has more busts than the top ranked QB's on these sites. One reason, they base so much on camps, and there is no way can you duplicate the live fire, decision processing and actions of real game activities against real competition. Sure, a kid can light up say, Burrell High School for 500 yards. But when he is facing nothing but P5 level defenders and defenses, it is a whole another ball game.

Reactions: pittdan77
usually not one to push the transfer portal but i think we really utilize this with finding qbs. dont give up on high school qb recruiting of course but i still think even after misses like that max browne guy and yarnell, you keep trying for the next Nate.

if you miss on one of these, it's a one or two year commitment and if you dont, well good things await and there are plenty of really highly rated players buried on some of these SEC rosters with zero chance to play.

The industry consensus was he was an decent 3*. He wasn’t the kind of breakthrough recruit people are hyping him up to be.

I subscribe to Rivals. I use their ratings. I can't read nor care about 247 composite whatever that is.

Who were the 4/5 star QBs in that system in the class of 2019? I would be curious to know how that turned out.

Im talking about *this* staff.

Browne wasn’t a breakthrough. Nobody wanted him. He wasn’t a big time portal land. He was a 5* that would be a 3* if reassessed when he committed to us. That’s not a win on the trail.

Beville was an okay ranked 3* in the 247 composite.
Yellen was a consensus 4 star via the portal, and Peterman was a consensus 4 star transfer as well.

If they aren't going to land highly ranked QBs out of HS, then they need to bring in numbers and separate the wheat from the chaff. They finally have some numbers and need to develop someone.

I think Patti is more serviceable than many here think. Beville was very raw and looked a lot better this spring than what I've seen before, so hopefully he continues improving. Seems Yellen is destined to be a backup and Yarnell is a question mark who will redshirt. If they lose someone to the portal, I'd prefer it to be Yellen.

There will be QBs hitting the portal over the next month. Let's see how active Pitt is in trying to land one. Not sure there's been much in there to recruit up to this point.

Reactions: FireballZ
I subscribe to Rivals. I use their ratings. I can't read nor care about 247 composite whatever that is.

Who were the 4/5 star QBs in that system in the class of 2019? I would be curious to know how that turned out.
Of the thirteen 4/5* guys in that QB class, 10 are projected starters for their school. One transferred and is starting for the new school and one transferred and is 2nd on the depth chart, and one is in the portal. 11 of those schools are predicted to have good records this year.

I'd say 247 nailed it.

Yeah. I think we can differentiate (somewhat) who is a true "4 star" recruit by composite + offers. I mean one site had Pat Bostick rated as a 5 star. On no planet was he a 5 star. Great Pitt man, great ambassador, not a great or good QB.

Plus, and I did this analysis before, no position has more busts than the top ranked QB's on these sites. One reason, they base so much on camps, and there is no way can you duplicate the live fire, decision processing and actions of real game activities against real competition. Sure, a kid can light up say, Burrell High School for 500 yards. But when he is facing nothing but P5 level defenders and defenses, it is a whole another ball game.
this is true. There are always a couple of “can’t miss” QB prospects in most classes, like a Lawrence, a Peyton Manning, a Fields etc, but it’s much harder to predict the next-level success of a QB versus any other position. The game gets much faster and much more complicated at the college level. You don’t get away with too many mistakes or bad decisions.

Of the thirteen 4/5* guys in that QB class, 10 are projected starters for their school. One transferred and is starting for the new school and one transferred and is 2nd on the depth chart, and one is in the portal. 11 of those schools are predicted to have good records this year.

I'd say 247 nailed it.
Who are they?

Or you could do your own homework on it and see if he’s right or wrong. I know that’s not how people process their info these days. They just accept it as gospel truth of it’s something they agree with or reject it as outright lies if it isn’t.
I don't access to 247. I subscribe only to Rivals. I thought that was clear.

I'd say 247 nailed it.
In fairness, I'll be interested in how many of these young guys are still starting at the end of the year since many are unknown commodities. Interestingly enough, Joey Yellen was #9 on that list of 13.

NCPitt, you don't have to subscribe to access the information.

When was the last time any team outside of Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, Ohio State and Clemson recruit a successful top notch P5 four star QB?

The list is short. Most successful ones are outside the power… QB and OL are the toughest positions to scout.

I don't access to 247. I subscribe only to Rivals. I thought that was clear.
I don’t subscribe to 24/7 either-but there are other easily accessible ways to verify the info starting with the 24/7 2019 QB rankings available to anyone with internet access.

In fairness, I'll be interested in how many of these young guys are still starting at the end of the year since many are unknown commodities. Interestingly enough, Joey Yellen was #9 on that list of 13.

Thanks. I wonder why the guy who cited the site couldn't tell that. I clicked on the picture in his link and it wouldn't open so I thought I was locked out.

Yellen was #19 and a 4 star on the 24/7 composite, #59 and a 3 star on 24/7’s own rankings.

When was the last time any team outside of Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, Ohio State and Clemson recruit a successful top notch P5 four star QB?

The list is short. Most successful ones are outside the power… QB and OL are the toughest positions to scout.
Sam Howell, Trubitsky, Jameis Winston, Jurkovec, Ehlinger, Mond come to mind without researching it.

I was looking at the pro style list I linked, which is what I thought Dan was referencing.
I think we’re talking about QBs regardless of style. But FWIW 24/7’s own, non-composite rankings had Ol’ Yellen as the 29th ranked pro style QB. Interestingly they had Beville ranked higher as the 18th pro styler.

Yellen isn’t even built like an athlete let alone a P5 QB. Kinda reminds me of Bostick in that way. The first time you see the guy in pads and before he even takes the field it’s like, “this is our 4 star QB?” 24/7 l’s ranking was way more accurate than the composites.

Yellen was a consensus 4 star via the portal, and Peterman was a consensus 4 star transfer as well.

If they aren't going to land highly ranked QBs out of HS, then they need to bring in numbers and separate the wheat from the chaff. They finally have some numbers and need to develop someone.

I think Patti is more serviceable than many here think. Beville was very raw and looked a lot better this spring than what I've seen before, so hopefully he continues improving. Seems Yellen is destined to be a backup and Yarnell is a question mark who will redshirt. If they lose someone to the portal, I'd prefer it to be Yellen.

There will be QBs hitting the portal over the next month. Let's see how active Pitt is in trying to land one. Not sure there's been much in there to recruit up to this point.

Yellen had fallen to a middle of the road 3* when he hit the transfer portal.

https://247sports.com/college/pitts...erPortalPositionRanking/?institutionkey=24034

And I don’t really care what emergency strategies they need to come up with to mitigate their inability to land a QB with any kind of QB ranking every single cycle. What tactics they should adopt in light of that or how success it can be, is a separate discussion.

My only point is how disappointing it is and how shocking it is. You go through every team’s recruiting class cycles and most P5 schools aren’t this bottom of the barrel at QB in the rankings. That’s my only point. Well, that and that it’s a problem.

Yellen had fallen to a middle of the road 3* when he hit the transfer portal.

https://247sports.com/college/pitts...erPortalPositionRanking/?institutionkey=24034

And I don’t really care what emergency strategies they need to come up with to mitigate their inability to land a QB with any kind of QB ranking every single cycle. What tactics they should adopt in light of that or how success it can be, is a separate discussion.

My only point is how disappointing it is and how shocking it is. You go through every team’s recruiting class cycles and most P5 schools aren’t this bottom of the barrel at QB in the rankings. That’s my only point. Well, that and that it’s a problem.
It's only a problem if Pitt doesn't get production from any of the guys on the roster.

Tennessee has no problem signing 4 & 5 star QBs. They currently have a 5 star battling a 4 star transfer for the starting job, yet Pitt will go into that game with a huge advantage at the QB position.

Reactions: NCPitt

I'd say 247 nailed it.

And 2020 is much of the same.

1. Bryce Young: Bama Starter
2. D.J. Uiagalelei: Clemson Starter
3. CJ Stroud: Ohio State starter
4. Card: In battle to be Texas starter, but Thompson is more experienced and really flashed last year.
5. Jackson: Went from Texas to Utah after Card and Thompson passed him. Probably going to have to wait behind Brewer from Baylor this season.
6. Doty: Started as FR for USC, going to be the starter this year.
7. Bailey: Started 3 games as true for Tenn
8. Garbers: Was beat out by Morris, who is very good. Went to UCLA, will probably sit behind DTR.
9. King: Looks to be starter for A&M this year
10. Butterfield: Don’t know anything about him, BC transfer is probably going to start.
11. Illingworth: Don’t know, OSU has their stud QB lined up for years to come as starter, and OSU takes don’t really dominate the Twitter timeline.
12. Prater: Starter at UC. Stud.
13. Purdy: Played for FSU as true last year, going to sit behind McKenzie this year. Looked alright I guess.
14. Hornsby: Expected to lose the job to the other dude Ark fans are hyping up. His name escapes me.
15. Richardson: In QB battle at UF with JOnes. Jones is expected to win it due to experience. But UF fans think Richardson has looked very good.
16. Van Dyke: Sitting behind King, but is being hyped up as the heir apparent stud for next year.
17. Sims: Started for GT as true and played fairly well considerIng.
18. Pyne: I think the Wisky transfer is expected to win the job, but Pyne was their number 2 behind Ian Book last year as a true.
19. Beck: UGA fans think he is already a bust and needs to go to the portal.
20. Johnson: Started for LSU last year as a true and looked pretty good.

Those are the Top 20 QB recruits in 2020 (all had 4* next to their name). Some are going to suck. But already a bunch have a lot of hype around them, and some have already flashed on the field. Certainly doesn’t look like a huge bust % amongst them.

It's only a problem if Pitt doesn't get production from any of the guys on the roster.

Tennessee has no problem signing 4 & 5 star QBs. They currently have a 5 star battling a 4 star transfer for the starting job, yet Pitt will go into that game with a huge advantage at the QB position.

No, it’s still a problem in the sense that it’s indicative of a lack of selling on the offensive side of the ball. Which we see across the board. Which is why the talent tends to suck on that side of the ball.

Sam Howell, Trubitsky, Jameis Winston, Jurkovec, Ehlinger, Mond come to mind without researching it.
Jurkovec? One season starting at BC?

Winston - I’ll give you that one

Ehlinger - Texas? Yeah that’s a tough school to get 4 star talent…

Trubitsky? One season and left. Peterman’s season was better

Howell? 8-4? We got that from Kenny on 2019. He lost to Pitt as well…

What about Miami? Duke? NCST? ? Virginia? Wake Forest? Syracuse? Georgia Tech? You mean they don’t want 4 star QB’s that play like 4 star QB’s?

Tennessee? Miss State? etc…

Outside of NC, it appears only the big time schools consistently get the 4 star QB’s.

Jurkovec? One season starting at BC?

Winston - I’ll give you that one

Ehlinger - Texas? Yeah that’s a tough school to get 4 star talent…

Trubitsky? One season and left. Peterman’s season was better

Howell? 8-4? We got that from Kenny on 2019. He lost to Pitt as well…

What about Miami? Duke? NCST? ? Virginia? Wake Forest? Syracuse? Georgia Tech? You mean they don’t want 4 star QB’s that play like 4 star QB’s?

Tennessee? Miss State? etc…

Outside of NC, it appears only the big time schools consistently get the 4 star QB’s.

I dont’ understand the point you’re trying to make here? That on the recruiting trail we can’t hope to land higher quality recruits than Wake and Cuse? Is that all we can hope to be on the QB recruiting trail?

Hell, even your GT example doesn’t make sense. They didn’t really recruit QBs under the old staff, so their QB recruiting track record doesn’t make sense to point to. The new staff? They landed a 4* QB right away. And he now starts for them.

No, it’s still a problem in the sense that it’s indicative of a lack of selling on the offensive side of the ball. Which we see across the board. Which is why the talent tends to suck on that side of the ball.
I agree with this. That's a problem that exists at schools that aren't football factories and can't recruit elite talent across the board regardless of coaching regime. They tend to do much better job at finding talent that fits the specialty of the HC.

I dont’ understand the point you’re trying to make here? That on the recruiting trail we can’t hope to land higher quality recruits than Wake and Cuse? Is that all we can hope to be on the QB recruiting trail?

Hell, even your GT example doesn’t make sense. They didn’t really recruit QBs under the old staff, so their QB recruiting track record doesn’t make sense to point to. The new staff? They landed a 4* QB right away. And he now starts for them.
Here's the point... There are only so many 4-5 star OB's to go around. Most will go to the big time schools. Every school wants a big time QB. The best thing to do is scout, recruit and develop.

Reactions: NCPitt
And 2020 is much of the same.

1. Bryce Young: Bama Starter
2. D.J. Uiagalelei: Clemson Starter
3. CJ Stroud: Ohio State starter
4. Card: In battle to be Texas starter, but Thompson is more experienced and really flashed last year.
5. Jackson: Went from Texas to Utah after Card and Thompson passed him. Probably going to have to wait behind Brewer from Baylor this season.
6. Doty: Started as FR for USC, going to be the starter this year.
7. Bailey: Started 3 games as true for Tenn
8. Garbers: Was beat out by Morris, who is very good. Went to UCLA, will probably sit behind DTR.
9. King: Looks to be starter for A&M this year
10. Butterfield: Don’t know anything about him, BC transfer is probably going to start.
11. Illingworth: Don’t know, OSU has their stud QB lined up for years to come as starter, and OSU takes don’t really dominate the Twitter timeline.
12. Prater: Starter at UC. Stud.
13. Purdy: Played for FSU as true last year, going to sit behind McKenzie this year. Looked alright I guess.
14. Hornsby: Expected to lose the job to the other dude Ark fans are hyping up. His name escapes me.
15. Richardson: In QB battle at UF with JOnes. Jones is expected to win it due to experience. But UF fans think Richardson has looked very good.
16. Van Dyke: Sitting behind King, but is being hyped up as the heir apparent stud for next year.
17. Sims: Started for GT as true and played fairly well considerIng.
18. Pyne: I think the Wisky transfer is expected to win the job, but Pyne was their number 2 behind Ian Book last year as a true.
19. Beck: UGA fans think he is already a bust and needs to go to the portal.
20. Johnson: Started for LSU last year as a true and looked pretty good.

Those are the Top 20 QB recruits in 2020 (all had 4* next to their name). Some are going to suck. But already a bunch have a lot of hype around them, and some have already flashed on the field. Certainly doesn’t look like a huge bust % amongst them.
Back to 2019 and it proves an interesting analysis. Both Rivals and 247 had the same 2 5* and they also agreed on 18 4*. 247 had 8 4* that Rivals had lower ranked. Of those 8, 1 is a starter, 1 is now a running back, 3 transferred, and 3 are down the depth chart. Rivals had 3 4* that were lower ranked by 247. All 3 are down the depth chart.

I actually would rate Rivals as the better source.

Here's the point... There are only so many 4-5 star OB's to go around. Most will go to the big time schools. Every school wants a big time QB. The best thing to do is scout, recruit and develop.

But even those QBs eventually get spread around.

People in this thread keep making the same tired point: big time schools tend to monopolize the 4* talent at the high school level.

I disagree with that to the extent it means we shouldn’t be expected to land a 4* QB once ever 4 recruiting cycles at least.

But I do agree that big time schools take a lot of them.

The problem is that even the lesser schools tend to land them more frequently than we do. Are you telling me that G5 schools like Cinn. and SMU can expect to land 4* QBs now and then out of high school, but that’s just beyond the ability of the Pitt program? Just stop.

And while it may be true that the big time programs get them at the high school level, lower schools do frequently get them when they transfer right away. Utah’s QB room is currently stacked with them. Why can Utah expect that but we can’t?

It seems like most P5 schools have a turn when it comes to landing highly coveted QBs. Even some G5s. Whether that be on the high school trail or a big time QB that has transferred relatively early so he isn’t still considered a bust yet. We, under Narduzzi, are one of those rare teams that never gets that turn.

And to me it’s a problem.

But even those QBs eventually get spread around.

People in this thread keep making the same tired point: big time schools tend to monopolize the 4* talent at the high school level.

I disagree with that to the extent it means we shouldn’t be expected to land a 4* QB once ever 4 recruiting cycles at least.

But I do agree that big time schools take a lot of them.

The problem is that even the lesser schools tend to land them more frequently than we do. Are you telling me that G5 schools like Cinn. and SMU can expect to land 4* QBs now and then out of high school, but that’s just beyond the ability of the Pitt program? Just stop.

And while it may be true that the big time programs get them at the high school level, lower schools do frequently get them when they transfer right away. Utah’s QB room is currently stacked with them. Why can Utah expect that but we can’t?

It seems like most P5 schools have a turn when it comes to landing highly coveted QBs. Even some G5s. Whether that be on the high school trail or a big time QB that has transferred relatively early so he isn’t still considered a bust yet. We, under Narduzzi, are one of those rare teams that never gets that turn.

And to me it’s a problem.
Pitt starting QB’s over the last 20 years include the following 4-star recruits: Priestley, Rutherford, Palko, Bostick, Savage, Voytik, and Peterman.

Stull and Sunseri were actually rated higher than Pickett. Pickett is our lowest rated established starting QB over the last 20 years, but yet could have the best NFL career.

Reactions: singregardless
Pitt starting QB’s over the last 20 years include the following 4-star recruits: Priestley, Rutherford, Palko, Bostick, Savage, Voytik, and Peterman.

Stull and Sunseri were actually rated higher than Pickett. Pickett is our lowest rated established starting QB over the last 20 years, but yet could have the best NFL career.
You're wasting your time. Facts mean nothing. You can also throw in Tino Sunseri as well. ESPN had him as a 4 star player. 80 and above is considered a 4 star player according to ESPN...

You also forgot to mention Mark Myers, another 4 star QB

EDIT: I just remembered another one:

How many is that so far?????

Last edited:
Reactions: singregardless
You're wasting your time. Facts mean nothing. You can also throw in Tino Sunseri as well. ESPN had him as a 4 star player. 80 and above is considered a 4 star player according to ESPN... You also forgot to mention Mark Myers, another 4 star QB

Was this the kid who went home to Cleveland every weekend instead of practicing?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT