ADVERTISEMENT

QB Recruiting

Part of our problem is the once cradle of QB's (Western PA) has completely dried up. What, we have produced 2 high level P5 QB 's in 20 years in Pryor and Jurkovich?

I do expect Brennan Marion to have some impact if he is here for a couple of years.

They have 5 scholarship QBs and Pickett is a 4 year starter, so I can understand that impacting how they recruit and how recruits view it as an opportunity. But after that it will get interesting. Patti will be a senior next year and depending if / how he or the backup plays this fall, the staff may have to get a transfer, get a priority QB in 2023 or both.

That said, plenty of other programs would gladly take a Pickett at QB. Not saying that Pitt couldn’t improve his competition, but I think a bigger issue has been the failure to recruit playmakers and linemen around him.

No big time recruit is scared of the recruits on the roster.
Pickett maybe scared off recruits early on in his career. But most thought he was gone after last year, and we didn’t have a 4* QB knocking down our door. And don’t this year either.

Pickett maybe scared off recruits early on in his career. But most thought he was gone after last year, and we didn’t have a 4* QB knocking down our door. And don’t this year either.
Yeah, Jurkovec would be here if Kenny wasn't.

Why would anyone assume he was gone when he never announced anything though? Plus you have to assume that the level of interest in QBs is at least in part determined by what the staff knows from talking to him. I don’t doubt that a Trevor Lawrence type would not flinch at our other QBs, but if that’s what you’re talking about you probably need to reign in your expectations.

Part of our problem is the once cradle of QB's (Western PA) has completely dried up. What, we have produced 2 high level P5 QB 's in 20 years in Pryor and Jurkovich?

I do expect Brennan Marion to have some impact if he is here for a couple of years.
A big problem is that even the ones that are highly regarded in high school aren’t staying home. Besides those two mentioned you have Consentino, Terry, Paul Jones, Morelli, and Kevin McCabe. All 4-stars (I believe) and all from west of Harrisburg, none of them went to Pitt. Out of the 8 4-star Western PA QBs in the last 20 years, Pitt landed zero of them.

It appears to me that we are seeing a transition into a Brennan Marion Go-Go offense. I'm thinking Whipple's time here will come to an end when Pickett goes pro. They didn't want to start a new scheme his senior year. Marion will want to bring in his guy to run the offense. It's obvious he can recruit. Why have Whipple recruit a QB now? Marion will make it work with what he has on roster until he recruits and develops his QB
I hope this is the case, but still not good to just bagging on a qb in a class.

Why would anyone assume he was gone when he never announced anything though? Plus you have to assume that the level of interest in QBs is at least in part determined by what the staff knows from talking to him. I don’t doubt that a Trevor Lawrence type would not flinch at our other QBs, but if that’s what you’re talking about you probably need to reign in your expectations.

Because he was a senior?

The idea that Pickett is this huge detriment to QB recruiting is insane.

Last year he had an optional year of eligibility left, this year he has none. Neither one is scaring off a big time QB recruit. The staff just can’t land that type of QB recruit.

I hope this is the case, but still not good to just bagging on a qb in a class.
All this Marion hype is more than a little crazy. If you ask me, he is showing to be less of a recruiter than Beatty.

I know everyone on here seems anxious for a fire drill offense. We do play most of our games in Pittsburgh weather.

If Pitt has the big year I expect Pitt to have, Marion might not even be here next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeffburgh
A big problem is that even the ones that are highly regarded in high school aren’t staying home. Besides those two mentioned you have Consentino, Terry, Paul Jones, Morelli, and Kevin McCabe. All 4-stars (I believe) and all from west of Harrisburg, none of them went to Pitt. Out of the 8 4-star Western PA QBs in the last 20 years, Pitt landed zero of them.
This is true. Bit a couple of things, for one, Consentino never even played QB in HS. So..... But again, I am talking what QB's even played at a P5 level, let alone played well and were either good college players (like Pryor) or NFL prospects. I think Jurkovec is going to be one, and honestly if it wasn't for Pickett, he would have transferred from ND to Pitt.

Your point though is valid and it is their fault. But look at the great Tyler Palko and Anthony Morelli. Really, Palko was a good college QB, Morelli less so. In High School, we thought these guys were for sure NFL guys.

And I will give you this list.
Dan Marino. Jim Kelly. Joe Montana. Terry Hanratty. Tom Clements. Joe Namath. Johnny U. Only one went to Pitt, so this isn't a new development.

This is true. Bit a couple of things, for one, Consentino never even played QB in HS. So..... But again, I am talking what QB's even played at a P5 level, let alone played well and were either good college players (like Pryor) or NFL prospects. I think Jurkovec is going to be one, and honestly if it wasn't for Pickett, he would have transferred from ND to Pitt.

Your point though is valid and it is their fault. But look at the great Tyler Palko and Anthony Morelli. Really, Palko was a good college QB, Morelli less so. In High School, we thought these guys were for sure NFL guys.

Dan Marino. Jim Kelly. Joe Montana. Terry Hanratty. Tom Clements. Joe Namath. Johnny U. Only one went to Pitt, so this isn't a new development.
I thought you were being sarcastic in your earlier post when you said Jurkovec would have come to Pitt from ND if it weren’t for Kenny.

Other than your opinion, what do you base that assumption on?

I thought you were being sarcastic in your earlier post when you said Jurkovec would have come to Pitt from ND if it weren’t for Kenny.

Other than your opinion, what do you base that assumption on?
Pretty much what was said and I heard. He didn't hate Pitt, he was enamored with playing at ND.

Reactions: pghcraig10

I'm not going to pretend to have in-depth knowledge of his high school career, but Cosentino threw for 500+ yards in his Junior season and and 770 yards in his senior season. His highlight reel seemed exclusivley him under center or int he shotgun. Apparently it was good enough to get named to the Big 33 as a QB and ranked as the top 15 Pro-Style QB in the country.

I guess my point was that even if western PA was still a hotbed of high school qb talent, it's not as if they would have signed with Pitt over the last 20 years.

Pretty much what was said and I heard. He didn't hate Pitt, he was enamored with playing at ND.
You’re closer to the source than I.

I knew he was enamored with Norte Dame, but when he decided to leave them, I thought Pitt was not in the mix. Not that he hates Pitt, but he just wasn’t interested.

I’ll defer to you, because I don’t “hear” anything about the program.

The disappointing thing about QB recruiting is how evenly dispersed it is amongst teams once transfers hit. Big time players all go to the same schools, one wins the job, and the others transfer.

Sometimes they transfer to other big time schools (Fields to OSU), and yes, they frequently stay within the geographic region of where they are from/at (Milton from UCF to FSU).

But you also see a lot “where else you going to go?” type QB transferring. (Rising from Texas to Utah.)

You don’t have a lot of teams striking out at QB talent acquisition at all levels. We really stand out in that regard. Can’t do it from the high school level. Can’t do it in the transfer portal.
I think Pitt is doing okay at QB. The previous staff landed Savage. This one brought in Peterman & Browne. Max didn't work out, but Pickett has been solid. It's way too soon to assume the others on the roster won't be solid.

Highly ranked QBs, maybe more than any other position, can be a crap shoot. There are a ton of 4 & 5 star guys out there who are never anything more than mediocre.

I think Pitt is doing okay at QB. The previous staff landed Savage. This one brought in Peterman & Browne. Max didn't work out, but Pickett has been solid. It's way too soon to assume the others on the roster won't be solid.

Highly ranked QBs, maybe more than any other position, can be a crap shoot. There are a ton of 4 & 5 star guys out there who are never anything more than mediocre.

But then less highly ranked guys have to be even more of a crap shoot. And that’s what we have on the roster. It’s just that we are amongst a relatively few P5 schools in how bare our QB acquisition is, across all levels. We aren’t ever even in it for a QB approaching a 4* ranking, both at the high school and transfer level.

And Browne was obviously not a 5* when we brought him in. That’s why we got him. If Browne had been beaten out as like a rFR and then transferred, getting him would have been far more impressive.

Because he was a senior?

The idea that Pickett is this huge detriment to QB recruiting is insane.

Last year he had an optional year of eligibility left, this year he has none. Neither one is scaring off a big time QB recruit. The staff just can’t land that type of QB recruit.
They knew there was the chance of another year because of Covid. And yes, Pickett returning was “scaring off” any transfer. That wouldn’t affect high school kids, but I honestly don’t know how much the staff was recruiting any high school kids because they had 4 scholarship QBs they like and then they knew they had Pickett on a Covid year. I get your concern on QB recruiting but you are probably going to have to take a Xanax and wait until after this year.

But then less highly ranked guys have to be even more of a crap shoot. And that’s what we have on the roster. It’s just that we are amongst a relatively few P5 schools in how bare our QB acquisition is, across all levels. We aren’t ever even in it for a QB approaching a 4* ranking, both at the high school and transfer level.

And Browne was obviously not a 5* when we brought him in. That’s why we got him. If Browne had been beaten out as like a rFR and then transferred, getting him would have been far more impressive.
Possibly. So many variables go into play at the QB position that make it very hard to decipher how they will translate to the college game.

I don't think we really know if Pitt's QB acquisition is bare or not. The numbers are okay. Only time will tell if one of those guys will be productive or not.

There’s only 1 QB you listed who was deserving of a low 4-star ranking, and that was Morelli. He had a good arm, but was a box of rocks. Antony would have greatly benefited from Walt as his coach. Cosentino was a better punter than QB, Jones couldn’t hit the side of a barn from 2 feet away, McCabe can be filed under the Pat Bostick file, and who is Terry? I’ll give you another name - Chandler Kincaide. He was rated as a 5-star in 9th grade and then 4-star in 10th grade. He verbally committed to Fraud Graham when he was here. He completely fell off the map. There was a period of time when people were obsessed with western PA being the “cradle of QB’s” and overreaching big-time.

I'm not going to pretend to have in-depth knowledge of his high school career, but Cosentino threw for 500+ yards in his Junior season and and 770 yards in his senior season. His highlight reel seemed exclusivley him under center or int he shotgun. Apparently it was good enough to get named to the Big 33 as a QB and ranked as the top 15 Pro-Style QB in the country.

I guess my point was that even if western PA was still a hotbed of high school qb talent, it's not as if they would have signed with Pitt over the last 20 years.
But he was recruited as a punter.

There’s only 1 QB you listed who was deserving of a low 4-star ranking, and that was Morelli. He had a good arm, but was a box of rocks. Antony would have greatly benefited from Walt as his coach. Cosentino was a better punter than QB, Jones couldn’t hit the side of a barn from 2 feet away, McCabe can be filed under the Pat Bostick file, and who is Terry? I’ll give you another name - Chandler Kincaide. He was rated as a 5-star in 9th grade and then 4-star in 10th grade. He verbally committed to Fraud Graham when he was here. He completely fell off the map. There was a period of time when people were obsessed with western PA being the “cradle of QB’s” and overreaching big-time.
I am not going to mention his name and HS to protect the innocent. But because of the past success, kids here who played QB and were 6'3" or taller were automatically projected as the next one. I remember Street and Smith's preseason HS All American lists, under Honorable Mention they listed a QB from my HS who never even started. They figured, "well he's tall, he can throw, he's from Western PA, he must be good." He wasn't.

And I think that carried through to about the 2010's. I think Rivals really overestimated local QB's up to that point.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Oh and one other thing, and I mentioned this more than a few times. Kids like Ethan Morton and Robbie Carmody 20 years ago, absolutely likely would have played football, played QB and been big tome recruits.

He was a gift from a former coach who knows the family. How do I know this ....I sat with the coach and some family at the Pitt Wake game when he was being recruited, nice try though
What difference does it make how he got to Pitt? Beville is a talented QB with a good skill set.

Some of it is bad timing. Rod Rutherford and Tyler Palko were 4-star recruits who did well at Pitt. You aren’t going to turn either one down to bring in Bruce Gradkowski who happened to be a good college QB as well. Tony Zimmerman was a stud QB coming out of PT and a big-time get. Marc Bulger was hurt and didn’t even become a full-time starter until his Sr. You aren’t going to tell Zimmerman we don’t want you and then roll the dice on a guy who was unknown at the time.

Some of it is bad timing. Rod Rutherford and Tyler Palko were 4-star recruits who did well at Pitt. You aren’t going to turn either one down to bring in Bruce Gradkowski who happened to be a good college QB as well. Tony Zimmerman was a stud QB coming out of PT and a big-time get. Marc Bulger was hurt and didn’t even become a full-time starter until his Sr. You aren’t going to tell Zimmerman we don’t want you and then roll the dice on a guy who was unknown at the time.
You are right. Zimmerman though was the perfect example of "Western Pa kid, tall, good passing numbers, he got to be a top prospect, right?" Wrong.

Rod and Palko were great gets, put either of them on say 2007-10 Pitt teams and things would have been a lot different.

In the end, the “so many variables” doesn’t stop when the 4th * goes away. You keep kinda hinting at it, but I see no evidence that highly ranked QB recruits have a higher bust rate

This all kinda seems besides the point I made anyway. You’re right that we don’t know if Narduzzi has the super decoder ring of QB recruiting and his 3* guys are actually elite recruits.
But what we do know is there isn’t an elite ranked QB recruit on the roster. Either through landing him in high school or a big time portal get. And that’s not by design. We aren’t the one school that would absolutely hate to land a solidly ranked 4* every cycle at the QB position.

Possibly. So many variables go into play at the QB position that make it very hard to decipher how they will translate to the college game.

I don't think we really know if Pitt's QB acquisition is bare or not. The numbers are okay. Only time will tell if one of those guys will be productive or not.

Here's the thing, though. The '22 class has only 21 4/5 star QBs for 65 P5 schools and another 60+ G5 and independents. For the most part, they all committed to local schools or big national brands. Pitt didn't fit either of those categories and it is unreasonable to expect Pitt to be the exception. Pitt may break through occasionally but they are obviously better suited to target 3 star QBs.

4/5 Stars

Last edited:
What difference does it make how he got to Pitt? Beville is a talented QB with a good skill set.
Agreed that it doesn’t matter. People said Pitt was lucky Blair’s knees were bad. Or they got lucky getting Steven Adams because of a Dixon connection. Who cares. And sometimes that’s the way it works.

As far as talent that may be true - I don’t know. But isn’t at least a little concerning that he’s not number 2? It’s not like we’re loaded and I don’t think Patti’s that good.

Regardless I think we’d all agree we better hope KP stays healthy.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Here's the thing, though. The '22 class has only 21 4/5 star QBs for 65 P5 schools and another 60+ G5 and independents. For the most part, they all committed to local schools or big national brands. Pitt didn't fit either of those categories and it is unreasonable to expect Pitt to be the exception. Pitt may break through occasionally but they are obviously better suited to target 3 star QBs.

4/5 Stars

But Pitt doesn’t break through occasionally. That’s kind of my point.

We are uniquely situated with a small handful of schools that does not seem to breakthrough occasionally.

We are uniquely situated with a small handful of schools that does not seem to breakthrough occasionally.
If you're looking at it from a recruiting standpoint, based on stars alone, I think it's fair to say we do breakthrough occasionally. Bostick was a 4 star. Savage, Voytik, Peterman and Beville all had 4 stars, with Browne a 5-star. Going back 20 years, Palko was also a 4-star.

Reactions: NCPitt

Beville was a breakthrough - a 4-star from SC. Chad Voytik was a breakthrough - a 4-star from TN.

If you're looking at it from a recruiting standpoint, based on stars alone, I think it's fair to say we do breakthrough occasionally. Bostick was a 4 star. Savage, Voytik, Peterman and Beville all had 4 stars, with Browne a 5-star. Going back 20 years, Palko was also a 4-star.

Im talking about *this* staff.

Browne wasn’t a breakthrough. Nobody wanted him. He wasn’t a big time portal land. He was a 5* that would be a 3* if reassessed when he committed to us. That’s not a win on the trail.

Beville was an okay ranked 3* in the 247 composite.

Reactions: WannyandWalt
Im talking about *this* staff.

Browne wasn’t a breakthrough. Nobody wanted him. He wasn’t a big time portal land. He was a 5* that would be a 3* if reassessed when he committed to us. That’s not a win on the trail.

Beville was an okay ranked 3* in the 247 composite.
Peterman?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT