ADVERTISEMENT

Reasonable prediction thread

BballinsiderfromPitt

Heisman Winner
Feb 15, 2018
Let’s say we are the first team in NCAA history to endure zero injuries, zero defections, zero suspensions for borrowed cars, punching cops or banging teammates’ girlfriends…

what are your REALISTIC expectations for this team we have assembled? And do it based on 12 scholarship players. Can’t add anyone else onto it.

I think adding similarly talented players on the bench has raised the floor a good bit but not the ceiling as much. I think 13-16 wins is possible. Best case scenario it goes
1) Cummings - maybe slightly better than Femi but every year the PG has been a reflection of the system
2) Burton - more of less the same person/player. Hopefully will be more efficient
3) Nike - hopefully comes off the ACL 100
Percent but for an athletic player I’m skeptical
4) id actually prefer Jeffress here with Hinson coming off the bench to give you a better defense and have the possible offense coming off the bench
5) Hugley - hopefully becomes a lot more efficient with the ball, less TO’s better decision making etc. and STAYS on the block except ball screen situations

Bench - I think during the ACC season you really only see 3-4 realistically get minutes. Fede gets 10 mins a game as a backup center. Does a better job than Collier specifically on defensive end but won’t give much on offense
Hinson plays 20-25 mins at the 4, depending on how Jeffress plays where the scoring is coming from etc. same would go for Jeffress if he’s the one coming off the bench. Flow of the game
Mcneilly and Elliott split the guard backup minutes and bring shooting, not sure who plays spot mins at the 1? Maybe Mcneilly? Maybe Burton? Maybe Jeffress slides down and plays some backup 3? I think he looks uncomfortable on the wing on offense but can guard a 3.

wouldn’t expect much from either Diaz this season from what I’m hearing and going to go back in Spain to try out for the national team doesn’t help their growth here. Who am I forgetting?

I am predicting 14 wins for that group which with a carrington commitment may be enough to keep his job?

Let’s say we are the first team in NCAA history to endure zero injuries, zero defections, zero suspensions for borrowed cars, punching cops or banging teammates’ girlfriends…

what are your REALISTIC expectations for this team we have assembled? And do it based on 12 scholarship players. Can’t add anyone else onto it.

I think adding similarly talented players on the bench has raised the floor a good bit but not the ceiling as much. I think 13-16 wins is possible. Best case scenario it goes
1) Cummings - maybe slightly better than Femi but every year the PG has been a reflection of the system
2) Burton - more of less the same person/player. Hopefully will be more efficient
4) id actually prefer Jeffress here with Hinson coming off the bench to give you a better defense and have the possible offense coming off the bench
5) Hugley - hopefully becomes a lot more efficient with the ball, less TO’s better decision making etc. and STAYS on the block except ball screen situations

Bench - I think during the ACC season you really only see 3-4 realistically get minutes. Fede gets 10 mins a game as a backup center. Does a better job than Collier specifically on defensive end but won’t give much on offense
Hinson plays 20-25 mins at the 4, depending on how Jeffress plays where the scoring is coming from etc. same would go for Jeffress if he’s the one coming off the bench. Flow of the game
Mcneilly and Elliott split the guard backup minutes and bring shooting, not sure who plays spot mins at the 1? Maybe Mcneilly? Maybe Burton? Maybe Jeffress slides down and plays some backup 3? I think he looks uncomfortable on the wing on offense but can guard a 3.

wouldn’t expect much from either Diaz this season from what I’m hearing and going to go back in Spain to try out for the national team doesn’t help their growth here. Who am I forgetting?

I am predicting 14 wins for that group which with a carrington commitment may be enough to keep his job?

This all makes sense and is more or less what I see.

Can you elaborate more on what you said about the twins? I believe I've said what I heard which was they are a little closer to projects than Pitt fans might want.

I'd maybe predict more than 14 wins. It might be a little bit hopeful but I'm seeing maybe 8-12 in conference and 8-3 OOC. The ACC record depends on how much the league will improve. Hard to know right now. I think Capel has upgraded overall talent, but I just don't know if I see a player he's brought in that will make a significant difference. Or in other words, I think he's raised the floor, but perhaps not the ceiling.

Getting to a winning record is a must for Capel to keep his job in my opinion.

I haven't seen the what the rest of the ACC has done yet and this is a team full of wildcards.
I'm way higher on the one twin than you and DT. The kid can move and shoot at 7 foot. Just not sure if they're strong enough for defense yet.

I'll wait but they better be improved.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
I haven't seen the what the rest of the ACC has done yet and this is a team full of wildcards.
I'm way higher on the one twin than you and DT. The kid can move and shoot at 7 foot. Just not sure if they're strong enough for defense yet.

I'll wait but they better be improved.

Keep in mind that I can't say I have any "personal" opinion on either of the twins. I am only reporting what someone said to me -- someone who would know more about them than I.

So you expect nothing from Santos?

15 wins overall feels about right. I don't see the ACC being worse than last year, but I also haven't kept up with the ACC roster moves. Maybe the conference will be down again.

As for the roster, we're solid at guard, no doubt. Our forwards are not much improved though.

Since you're taking an optimistic view of things for this exercise, throw in the Barnes commitment as well.

The plusses imo. If nothing else, having so many experienced guards should cut down the on the TOs. The outside shooting should be better (maybe a lot better) and not the deficiency that it was last last year. The improved depth alone wins a few extra games.

Agree with Will at the 4. It's puzzling to me what happened with his shooting stroke being so flat last year.

The twins are wildcards. They seemed to improve greatly at IMG with better competition. Hopefully that continues. They are going to get banged around until they get stronger.

Slightly better than .500 this year with a few of the transfers being better than we expected.

In 2 years, Jeffress hasn't shown that he is even an A10 level player and has been one of the worst Pitt players in recent memory (who has seen legit PT) but you prefer him over a 23 year old who has averaged 10 in the SEC?

The biggest positive for this season is that more serviceable bodies should allow us to stay aggressive on defense and play the hot hand on offense.

This isn't a prediction as much as it is an expectation, but if you can't do better than .500 by year five, what the hell are you doing? I mean, you're getting a 5+ game head start in the non-conference games (well, assuming you don't lose to the Citadel, etc.).

Last edited:
Reactions: Drew1208
That’s not at all what he posted actually.
To be fair, SMF has never read an entire post in his life. I also don’t expect much from Santos as someone asked, not at all in fact.

As for the twins as you eluded to, I have heard the same. I also don’t think twins playing on IMG’s main postgrad national team would’ve been passed on by every other P5 school if that assessment was WAY off. Of course it could be… just seems that’s the general consensus as of right now.

I said 13-16 wins so i went with 14 as my official prediction. I think they still lose a WTF game or 2 OOC and then win 1 I probably don’t think they should.

I would place Jeffress at the 4 over Hinson to start yes. Hinson hasn’t played in 2 years and was just an OK defender when he did. Jeffress stinks offensively, but he’ll move the ball quicker and Hugley, Burton, Cummings, Nike all need shots in that order in the lineup I posted. If Will just plays defense and passes the ball he’s more valuable than another guy wanting to get his own out there most games. That’s just good basketball sense. Do you really want the 4 man to take touches away from Hugley who you have declared a top 3 big in the country?

Reactions: cabe23
To be fair, SMF has never read an entire post in his life. I also don’t expect much from Santos as someone asked, not at all in fact.

As for the twins as you eluded to, I have heard the same. I also don’t think twins playing on IMG’s main postgrad national team would’ve been passed on by every other P5 school if that assessment was WAY off. Of course it could be… just seems that’s the general consensus as of right now.

I said 13-16 wins so i went with 14 as my official prediction. I think they still lose a WTF game or 2 OOC and then win 1 I probably don’t think they should.

I would place Jeffress at the 4 over Hinson to start yes. Hinson hasn’t played in 2 years and was just an OK defender when he did. Jeffress stinks offensively, but he’ll move the ball quicker and Hugley, Burton, Cummings, Nike all need shots in that order in the lineup I posted. If Will just plays defense and passes the ball he’s more valuable than another guy wanting to get his own out there most games. That’s just good basketball sense. Do you really want the 4 man to take touches away from Hugley who you have declared a top 3 big in the country?

Just to be clear for the continuity of the thread, bbinsider is not suggesting it was me who declared Hugley as a top 3 big in the country.

I just don't see how Capel keeps his job of he wins 13 to 16 games. It's year 5. You need the Nit at least. I don't see that happening with this roster.

It's hard for me to see this team making the NIT. We'd need to be what, the number 8 team in the ACC? Win 10 or 11 conference games?

I'd love to be surprised, and there's a reason they play the games. But that seems like a reach.

I just don't see how Capel keeps his job of he wins 13 to 16 games. It's year 5. You need the Nit at least. I don't see that happening with this roster.
16 wins might be enough for an NIT bid depending on where those wins come from. Especially since I think the ACC will actually get a little respect this year.

Alot can explain the twins- 2 similar players, late arrival to the U.S., late developing, schools de-empathizing high school recruiting, limited available P5 roster spots,, etc.

You are correct about zigging when the rest are zagging.

Alot can explain the twins- 2 similar players, late arrival to the U.S., late developing, schools de-empathizing high school recruiting, limited available P5 roster spots,, etc.

You are correct about zigging when the rest are zagging.
They are de-emphasizing HS recruiting, but for the sake of clarity, they are POSTGRAD kids who are generally thought more developed and ready to play than a traditional HS kid. Coupled with international development, 63/64 schools in the P5/6 didn’t think they could contribute to their teams this year. I’m assuming Pitt did since they could be needed for something to save their jobs.

They could certainly be right, but I’d go with the other 63 regardless if they were at Pitt or Kentucky.

They are de-emphasizing HS recruiting, but for the sake of clarity, they are POSTGRAD kids who are generally thought more developed and ready to play than a traditional HS kid. Coupled with international development, 63/64 schools in the P5/6 didn’t think they could contribute to their teams this year. I’m assuming Pitt did since they could be needed for something to save their jobs.

They could certainly be right, but I’d go with the other 63 regardless if they were at Pitt or Kentucky.

Are any of the twins IMG games online? Couldn't find any when I looked a while back.

Edit: found one on Combine's channel.

Last edited:

My worry is this … 6-10+ kids who can hit jump shots are a pretty rare commodity. Even if the are projects, they are a profile the high level programs covet because they can become high level players. It does seem a bit concerning to me that no other P-5 school was looking hard at them.

But for the good of the order, I will not speak of this again. I hope they make the Spain team, have some solid games, and really contribute this coming season! After all, they are Panthers!!

And going back to the original premise of this thread, 16 wins and somehow finding our way into the NIT is certainly “reasonable.” I for one am going to go all in on the expectation… because… why not? I’d certainly rather reach this than not. And if we don’t, I’m fairly confident a new regime will follow.

That’s my take as well. It is year 5, so there are no excuses.

I agree. This year, anything short of at least an NIT bid will mean Capel is gone. I could be optimistic and say 16 wins, but I don't believe that is enough for him to keep his job. Where are those wins going to come from with an improved ACC, in all probability? And the OOC has some tough games also. I hope he can somehow get to 19 or 20 wins just because I'm a Pitt fan and want Pitt to do well. But I don't see it.

My worry is this … 6-10+ kids who can hit jump shots are a pretty rare commodity. Even if the are projects, they are a profile the high level programs covet because they can become high level players. It does seem a bit concerning to me that no other P-5 school was looking hard at them.

But for the good of the order, I will not speak of this again. I hope they make the Spain team, have some solid games, and really contribute this coming season! After all, they are Panthers!!

And going back to the original premise of this thread, 16 wins and somehow finding our way into the NIT is certainly “reasonable.” I for one am going to go all in on the expectation… because… why not? I’d certainly rather reach this than not. And if we don’t, I’m fairly confident a new regime will follow.
For the love of all things holy please do not have one outlier game that we have to hear about for 4-5 years like Levon Kendall.

• Haha
JC should’ve been gone after yr 3 and then again after last season , but guess what he’s still there . Heather just doesn’t want to fire him and eat his contract. She needs JC to turn this around , because unless she robs a bank there’s no high quality coach that is taking this job without being grossly overpaid. Not Pitts style .

With all the experts on this board not one of them knows the specifics of his contract and the buyout numbers , so saying if he doesn’t win so many games and make a post season tournament he's gone is just speculation. If he has a .500 season and the twins look promising with a good recruiting class signed he’s going nowhere.

The idea that the fan base can’t continue to take the losing hasn’t looked at the attendance at their home games . No one is there anyway , there’s so few loyal Pitt bb fans left . Absorbing millions of dollars to appease so few fans doesn’t sound like an idea the administration is behind .

Ps …My guess is these Panthers surprise everyone and have a far better season than anyones expecting .

Pitt doesn't have enough offense to play a 0 on the perimeter. If he moves to the 4 and can just defend and rebound, ok. But you cant play Jeffress at the 3 and have him score 2 points in 21 minutes.

JC should’ve been gone after yr 3 and then again after last season , but guess what he’s still there . Heather just doesn’t want to fire him and eat his contract. She needs JC to turn this around , because unless she robs a bank there’s no high quality coach that is taking this job without being grossly overpaid. Not Pitts style .

With all the experts on this board not one of them knows the specifics of his contract and the buyout numbers , so saying if he doesn’t win so many games and make a post season tournament he's gone is just speculation. If he has a .500 season and the twins look promising with a good recruiting class signed he’s going nowhere.

The idea that the fan base can’t continue to take the losing hasn’t looked at the attendance at their home games . No one is there anyway , there’s so few loyal Pitt bb fans left . Absorbing millions of dollars to appease so few fans doesn’t sound like an idea the administration is behind .

Ps …My guess is these Panthers surprise everyone and have a far better season than anyones expecting .
So what’s your prediction on the overall record?

Pitt doesn't have enough offense to play a 0 on the perimeter. If he moves to the 4 and can just defend and rebound, ok. But you cant play Jeffress at the 3 and have him score 2 points in 21 minutes.

Concerns about Jeffress' offense are certainly logical, but bbinsider wasn't suggesting he should play on the perimeter regardless.

Concerns about Jeffress' offense are certainly logical, but bbinsider wasn't suggesting he should play on the perimeter regardless.
That 4 position you still have to be able to shoot in this offense. They get lots of open 3s.
I think Hinson reminds me more of a 3 than a 4 by watching his tape.
I dunno tho, these are way better problems than before

That 4 position you still have to be able to shoot in this offense. They get lots of open 3s.
I think Hinson reminds me more of a 3 than a 4 by watching his tape.
I dunno tho, these are way better problems than before

Generally, I really agree with you last line. Let's both sure hope it's right!!!!

I think about the best we could do would be 17-14 during regular season. And if they happens, I believe Capel will be back.

Remember, this is year 5! I am going with a .500 season. Just need to remember that this will be another Capel and staff coached team. Just can't get over excited with that thought. At most schools, he would be fired but not at Pitt given the situation and contract/buyout.

Reactions: Hail412Pitt
Taking the assumption of no injuries and off court problems and assuming team unity---just assuming that this team is NOT less talented than last years there should be no reason for a repeat 5-6 OOC record. Should go 7-4 OOC on that basis alone.

IMHO, doing only that gets you to the suggested 13 win floor.

Then if we assume 3-ball shooting has been significantly improved by player additions like Elliot and McNielly that should lessen the frequency of Hugley facing double teams on the inside which suggests winning more than 6 games in the ACC. What would that number be? It is hard to see it be more than 8 which gets you to 15 wins.

Getting to 10 ACC (including the ACCT) wins is what is needed to get to 17 wins and a possible NIT.

The wild card, is one or both of the twins improving/adjusting quickly enough to the level of play to push the team beyond these expectations.

That change doesn't mean to me that a twin has to beef up enough to play on the low blocks--IMO is just means getting to a Mo Gueye (or slightly better) level of contribution as a tall 3/4 who makes his 3s. Since the defensive contribution would be less than Gueye's they would have to make the 3 at a higher percentage than Gueye did last season.

Last edited:
I think they’ve done a better job of adding some pieces this year than in previous years, but it’s hard to be anything but guarded with expectations. I expect we’ll look/feel better but I also expect the ACC to take a step up as a whole. I think we’ll flirt with NIT expectations to a certain point, but fall short and it will really come down to the commitments that Capel has been able to accrue for 2023 as to if he keeps his job. For me, he has to really kill it in 2023 and bring in a top 20ish class that has the potential to up the talent level considerably, otherwise I think we really need to just cut ties and go in a new direction.

I won't predict a win-
loss scenario, since I
always want to see em
first in REAL game time.
However, I do see an
uptick this season due
to more overall talent
from top to bottom.
Again, that overall talent
is AVERAGE. Others in
this thread have said,
and I agree....we will be