ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting: Wannstedt vs Narduzzi

If the recruiting season finished right now, the three year average for Pitt would be 40 and falling. Based on recent commits and the crystal ball predictions, that's going to get worse. So far as the Costal is concerned, VT, UNC, and Miami are all doing much better in recruiting. The three year average (including this year) for those schools is 23 and rising. Yes, you have to win on the field but you're at a severe disadvantage in talent right out of the gate going forward.

What Dokish and other apologists fail to understand is that Pitt has been recruiting at a similar level since they joined the ACC so showing what looks like a respectable average (including the one year Pitt finished 4th in the conference) is meaningless in the context of performance on the field and performance versus the rest of the conference in recruiting.

There simply isn't enough talent at Pitt to consistently compete for the Coastal and the talent that is there is being squandered.

But hey, Tim Salem sleeps in his office and makes his wife change light bulbs! WOW!!!

I am not buying that Pitt has better players than App St. I didn't watch App St/PSU but App St will win the Sun Belt, a league Pitt would not win (sorry). Perhaps Pitt is deeper but if you look at who Pitt starts (ie their best 22), very few of those players had offers that were far and away better than App St-level. Someone mentioned only Bookser had more than 1 P5 offer of our starting offensive linemen....and these are our best 5. I would highly doubt they are better players than App St's OL.

We have nothing at TE and very little at WR (mostly G5 recruits). On D, we have 3 5th year senior MLBs who were all G5 level recruits, as was one of our safeties.

The difference between a low 3 star (which we get a lot of) and a 2 star (what schools like App St gets) is minimal. They have had a better "hit rate" on their 2 stars and low 4 stars than we have had.

Go on.

Reactions: paulbl99
And yet here they are.

If they played a less daunting OCC schedule they would be already ranked in the top 15- which is the level they are currently playing.

How do you think this all of this happening? Is Narduzzi and staff all just so far superior in the X&O's that they can win with their "pathetic" recruiting? Or does it make more sense that that they are recruiting just fine?

Who were the stars of yesterday's game-
Pickett
Ffrench
Mack
Millin
Jones
Hamlin
Kirk
Bright
Weaver
Pinnock

All PN gets.

Weak troll. When you were scrolling though pages of old threads in your basement last night, you must have skipped over the thread where I said the Coastal was trash this year and that it would be a shame if Pitt couldn't win it. Was about VaTech losing week #1.

Don't try to argue recruiting is fine. It's not.

The issue is even with the kids of former Panther stars , you as their parent would love for them to follow in your footsteps , but you also want whats best for them . OSU or Pitt ..not much choice is there .
Pitt law where would you want your kid to go to law school Pitt or Harvard ! No choice there .
It's a vicious cycle to attract quality players you have to win to win you need quality players ...
Good football players are noticed by the NFL no matter what school they play for. You may have a better chance to play and showcase your talent at PITT. As far as law school, I can't answer that.

Good football players are noticed by the NFL no matter what school they play for. You may have a better chance to play and showcase your talent at PITT. As far as law school, I can't answer that.
When your that good that all the best programs want you it's awfully hard to think a kid would go to a lesser school to get PT .

If the recruiting season finished right now, the three year average for Pitt would be 40 and falling. Based on recent commits and the crystal ball predictions, that's going to get worse. So far as the Costal is concerned, VT, UNC, and Miami are all doing much better in recruiting. The three year average (including this year) for those schools is 23 and rising. Yes, you have to win on the field but you're at a severe disadvantage in talent right out of the gate going forward.

What Dokish and other apologists fail to understand is that Pitt has been recruiting at a similar level since they joined the ACC so showing what looks like a respectable average (including the one year Pitt finished 4th in the conference) is meaningless in the context of performance on the field and performance versus the rest of the conference in recruiting.

There simply isn't enough talent at Pitt to consistently compete for the Coastal and the talent that is there is being squandered.

But hey, Tim Salem sleeps in his office and makes his wife change light bulbs! WOW!!!

I am not buying that Pitt has better players than App St. I didn't watch App St/PSU but App St will win the Sun Belt, a league Pitt would not win (sorry). Perhaps Pitt is deeper but if you look at who Pitt starts (ie their best 22), very few of those players had offers that were far and away better than App St-level. Someone mentioned only Bookser had more than 1 P5 offer of our starting offensive linemen....and these are our best 5. I would highly doubt they are better players than App St's OL.

We have nothing at TE and very little at WR (mostly G5 recruits). On D, we have 3 5th year senior MLBs who were all G5 level recruits, as was one of our safeties.

The difference between a low 3 star (which we get a lot of) and a 2 star (what schools like App St gets) is minimal. They have had a better "hit rate" on their 2 stars and low 4 stars than we have had.

Go on.

This team and staff has done a good job winning 50/50 games against teams who are similarly talented and I am super excited. We have maximized our talent. But everything I posted is still correct

Last edited:
You can't, on one day of the week, deride Chryst and Wisconsin as only having success because they play in a terrible division with a powderpuff schedule, and then on another day use them as an example as having greater success than Michigan or OSU or PSU. That is, if you wish to be taken seriously.

NAILED IT! He is hypocritical

And yet here they are.

If they played a less daunting OCC schedule they would be already ranked in the top 15- which is the level they are currently playing.

How do you think this all of this happening? Is Narduzzi and staff all just so far superior in the X&O's that they can win with their "pathetic" recruiting? Or does it make more sense that that they are recruiting just fine?

Pickett
Ffrench
Mack
Millin
Jones
Hamlin
Kirk
Bright
Weaver
Pinnock

All PN gets.

And I said the quality of recruiting has dropped. This season's squad is a 35 average rank. That will drop the next two years because last years class, and especially this one, was much lower.

Not saying this club isn't to be enjoyed but they still lost four games. Two by blowout (one of those was to a G5 school) and to a terrible UNC team. Enjoy what this team is doing but don't pretend everything with recruiting is fine. It's not.

Not sure why you think the team's recruiting composition is going to drop. Chryst's last class and the transitional class are the next 2 to fall off. More importantly, why you think the overall talent is dropping- it's not.

Geez, Carter was the lowest rated high school recruit last year. I guess he's looked terrible in your mind too.

I'm not even going to address losing to the #3 and #8 on the road; and #15 at home in a monsoon.

That leaves one bad loss. Big deal, just about everyone has at least one.

And I said the quality of recruiting has dropped. This season's squad is a 35 average rank. That will drop the next two years because last years class, and especially this one, was much lower.

Not saying this club isn't to be enjoyed but they still lost four games. Two by blowout (one of those was to a G5 school) and to a terrible UNC team. Enjoy what this team is doing but don't pretend everything with recruiting is fine. It's not.

Reactions: UPitt '89
Ignore the rankings. Tell me what players Narduzzi has brought in that are close to as good as Jabaal Sheard, Dion Lewis, Jon Baldwin, Dorin Dickerson, Shady McCoy, etc. Wanny brought in at least 15-20 players better than the best guy Narduzzi has brought in. Who IS the best player Duzz has recruited to Pitt?

Comparing Narduzzi with 3 complete classes to Wanny who was here for 6 seasons is hardly a fair comparison. The first class was half a class because of the late start. So we are really talking about 2 1/2 classes. Is that really a fair evaluation? FWIW, Nathan Peterman was better than any QB that played for Wanny or was recruited by him. Next year, the first of the Narduzzi recruits will have been on campus for 4 years. Then we can make a better evaluation.

Not sure why you think the team's recruiting composition is going to drop. Chryst's last class and the transitional class are the next 2 to fall off. More importantly, why you think the overall talent is dropping- it's not.

Geez, Carter was the lowest rated high school recruit last year. I guess he's looked terrible in your mind too.

I'm not even going to address losing to the #3 and #8 on the road; and #15 at home in a monsoon.

That leaves one bad loss. Big deal, just about everyone has at least one.

Can't help you if you're going to wear the rose colored glasses and be dismissive. Just don't try to embarrass someone who is using facts.

You are using opinions not facts.

It's your opinion that this year's recruiting ranking will be worse- the facts are we are not even through the early signing period. At worse, this class will be ranked higher than Chryst last recruits that are still in the team.

Can't help you if you're going to wear the rose colored glasses and be dismissive. Just don't try to embarrass someone who is using facts.

You are using opinions not facts.

It's your opinion that this year's recruiting ranking will be worse- the facts are we are not even through the early signing period. At worse, this class will be ranked higher than Chryst last recruits that are still in the team.

Pitt was 46th in the 247 composite rankings last year and dropped to 49th for this season (the rest of the class has to be phenomenal to pull that up). I really don't know what Chryst has to do with this but mid-40's doesn't get it done. Most of the kids that are big contributors on this team were out of classes that ranked 30 or 37 in the composite. Those are all facts.

If the "at worse" scenario is okay, then you think being out recruited by the rest of your conference doesn't matter. That's a bad opinion.

But they are not being outrecuited by the rest of their division, let alone the conference.

Does Weaver or Carter look like bad college players to you? They have one thing in common- they both were the lowest rated high school players in their respective classes. If that's the bottom of your recruiting rankings, they coaches are doing just fine.

I can tell you this, the coaches love the talent they brought in last year and think it will be their best class so far.

Pitt was 46th in the 247 composite rankings last year and dropped to 49th for this season (the rest of the class has to be phenomenal to pull that up). I really don't know what Chryst has to do with this but mid-40's doesn't get it done. Most of the kids that are big contributors on this team were out of classes that ranked 30 or 37 in the composite. Those are all facts.

If the "at worse" scenario is okay, then you think being out recruited by the rest of your conference doesn't matter. That's a bad opinion.

But they are not being outrecuited by the rest of their division, let alone the conference.

Does Weaver or Carter look like bad college players to you? They have one thing in common- they both were the lowest rated high school players in their respective classes. If that's the bottom of your recruiting rankings, they coaches are doing just fine.

I can tell you this, the coaches love the talent they brought in last year and think it will be their best class so far.

Yes, overrated guys bomb out and underrated guys succeed. Even elementary kids know you pick the kid that isn't very good last. I also don't know what you'd expect the staff to say but there's a really long list of guys that were a much higher priority that committed elsewhere. Overall, this cycle is a failure. Could it finish well? Maybe. But it's a bad year.

Reactions: brickfhouse
And yet here they are.

Pickett
Ffrench
Mack
Millin
Jones
Hamlin
Kirk
Bright
Weaver
Pinnock

All PN gets.
And the funny thing is, if that had happened - we play a weaker OOC schedule, in the years after PN is gone, posters on this board will denigrate the positives of the season by pointing to things like SOS, just like they do in DW's 9 and 10 win seasons. Pitt fans gonna Pitt

And dear god this was not meant as attempt to say if anyone is a good coach or not, so save me that garbage please. I beg you

Can you think of a modern Pitt HC that truly loved Pitt more than Wanny?

Other than his game day coaching, Wanny checked a lot of boxes.
- Grew up here so knows the region, the people, etc.
- Went to Pitt
- Won a national championship while on Pitt's coaching staff as a GA
- Won a Super Bowl as an assistant coach
- Was a head coach in the NFL

And Wanny is a good salesman and very likable. His love of Pitt comes through as sincere and when you love and believe in the product you are selling, it shows. He would have been a lifer at Pitt.

And all of the above is not a knock on Narduzzi, or the job Narduzzi has done this year, and he's a better game day coach than Wanny, but he's not the recruiter Wanny was.

Reactions: anon_vmuicqnzlyp3u
Can you think of a modern Pitt HC that truly loved Pitt more than Wanny?

Other than his game day coaching, Wanny checked a lot of boxes.
- Grew up here so knows the region, the people, etc.
- Went to Pitt
- Won a national championship while on Pitt's coaching staff as a GA
- Won a Super Bowl as an assistant coach
- Was a head coach in the NFL

And Wanny is a good salesman and very likable. His love of Pitt comes through as sincere and when you love and believe in the product you are selling, it shows. He would have been a lifer at Pitt.

And all of the above is not a knock on Narduzzi, or the job Narduzzi has done this year, and he's a better game day coach than Wanny, but he's not the recruiter Wanny was.
When the choice came down to his ego or love of Pitt- he chose his ego.

I would take Dave's last 3 years over anything Fraud and Chryst did. Pat's been a notch above Dave as an overall program head, imo.

And the funny thing is, if that had happened - we play a weaker OOC schedule, in the years after PN is gone, posters on this board will denigrate the positives of the season by pointing to things like SOS, just like they do in DW's 9 and 10 win seasons. Pitt fans gonna Pitt

And dear god this was not meant as attempt to say if anyone is a good coach or not, so save me that garbage please. I beg you

Win the next two and this discussion will be dead and never be brought up again... idk how many 4 or 5 stars Wanny had ( I loved the guy as our coach) but if Narduzzi wins the ACC and gives us a championship... idk if he recruits all 1 star players , as long as a coach has his locker room in place, can get players to play for him and buy into the system that's what really matters.

You do understand the difference between winning 9 games as part of what was basically a G5 conference versus beating a couple of OOC teams to get to 9 wins in the ACC, right?

I liked Wanny but during those last three winning seasons he had 5 non conference games per year to play with too. In 2010 we played one ranked team (and lost to them.) Our best win was probably Rutgers or Uconn.

You do understand the difference between winning 9 games as part of what was basically a G5 conference versus beating a couple of OOC teams to get to 9 wins in the ACC, right?
Completely irrelevant to my post, but thanks for playing

"Joe", I saw your post above. My position is consistent. I wanted a better schedule in the Wanny era and I defend us having a better one now. I've never flipped on this.

Reactions: FreddieFunk
"Joe", I saw your post above. My position is consistent. I wanted a better schedule in the Wanny era and I defend us having a better one now. I've never flipped on this.
I get that...my post was in jest and a complete fantasy...what part about "And dear god this was not meant as attempt to say if anyone is a good coach or not, so save me that garbage please. I beg you" didn't you read or get

I don't disagree with anything you said...it was meant as a jab to other posters that for some reason like to tear down a 9 or 10 win season. That was all. I'll take it no matter how it happens.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
Completely irrelevant to my post, but thanks for playing

No it's not. Somewhere in your logic you're assuming Pitt fans are silly for expecting the team to beat schools they should always beat. Wanny played in a weak conference and couldn't win it outright. The ACC is a little more difficult and there's an expectation to win the Coastal so OOC games shouldn't be a reach against lesser competition.

Weaver and Carter has multiple P5 offers.......... just sayin

Reactions: JSSTartan
From a national sports article , facts .......

• Pitt pushed Dave Wannstedt out after after 26 wins in three years. The Panthers have averaged 6.6 wins since.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT