ADVERTISEMENT

Reflections

pittmeister

Assistant Coach
May 26, 2010
Some of you idiots crack me up... Let's review some of the nonsense...
  1. Unless a player is a 4 star recruit, it's a failure by the staff
  2. If Pitt lands a player that is a high 3 star player with more than five P5, scholarships, then the offers can't possibly be real....
  3. If Pitt lands a 4 Star player he is destined for stardom. Even though he has less than five P5 offers (See McVittie, & Flowers among others dating back to DW).
  4. Pitt should be landing 4 star recruits on a regular basis. Even though we've been mediocre for 35 years. After all, we have so much more to offer; No on campus stadium, small crowds, a bias and hostile media, and up until recently, little support from the administration...
  5. Winning has nothing to do with the quality of recruit you get as a result of winning....
  6. The quality of the Florida recruit is a myth, so Pitt should stop going to Florida for recruits, even though most of the players drafted are from FLA.
The best part of this, is when Pitt fans "like" the posts of some of these trolls write not knowing they're actually trolls! LOL!

So now let us sit back and reflect on what we've learned....Ha!

They don't crack me up, in fact it's what I expect on a message board of this sort.
IMO the board is a mix of sincere posters, trolls, know-it-alls, and inquisitive fans
looking to get some info on Pitt football. Personally I doubt that this board is any
different than any other college football board.

There need to be some realistic expectations when it comes to Pitt football. A crowd of 40-45k is as good as it will get at Heinz Field at an on-campus stadium, etc. Pitt could be winning the ACC ever year and it wouldn't be much higher than that. Also, as much as I'd love to see it, Pitt isn't going to compete with Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, etc. on a yearly basis. If they can turn into a perennial 7-8 win team and compete every 4-5 years for an ACC title with a 9-10 win season, I'd be very happy. What I want to see gone are those five-win seasons.

If you are not honestly concerned with Pitt's recruiting then you have not paid attention. Anyone that is not concerned is being a Pitt homer and seeing eyes in blue and gold glasses.

Concern is one thing, unrealistic expectations on the level of recruit Pitt should bring in on a consistent basis is another.... I am not concerned at this time. I'll stay positive and watch things unfold going into the season.

Here is what I think:

- I'll be willing to bet we will finish in the 30's come February.

- A high percentage of the players that have committed now will not sign with that team, and Pitt will land a few.

- Believe Pitt will be better next year ( I will post that subject later today). Winning will help as well.

Reactions: FireballZ
There need to be some realistic expectations when it comes to Pitt football. A crowd of 40-45k is as good as it will get at Heinz Field at an on-campus stadium, etc. Pitt could be winning the ACC ever year and it wouldn't be much higher than that. Also, as much as I'd love to see it, Pitt isn't going to compete with Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, etc. on a yearly basis. If they can turn into a perennial 7-8 win team and compete every 4-5 years for an ACC title with a 9-10 win season, I'd be very happy. What I want to see gone are those five-win seasons.

Good points.

Here is how trolls operate...
  1. On one hand some of these trolls will act as if negative things only happen at Pitt. Then in the same breath they say that things like suspensions, happen everywhere and that's just an excuse... So which is it? It can't be one and not the other.
  2. When a poster has a positive outlook on the season, he is quickly told that he is being "unrealistic" and told "We are who we are". But on the other hand, when we look realistic at the program, we are told that no matter what Pitt does is not good enough and we should be getting bigger crowds like PSU, recruiting at a much higher level and spending money on the same level as an SEC team...
When you see posters displaying these kinds of consistent contradictions, It clearly indicates that they are trolls. However some true Pitt fans can't see it.

2. If Pitt lands a player that is a high 3 star player with more than five P5, scholarships, then the offers can't possibly be real....
  3. If Pitt lands a 4 Star player he is destined for stardom. Even though he has less than five P5 offers (See McVittie, & Flowers among others dating back to DW).
  4. Pitt should be landing 4 star recruits on a regular basis. Even though we've been mediocre for 35 years. After all, we have so much more to offer; No on campus stadium, small crowds, a bias and hostile media, and up until recently, little support from the administration...
  5. Winning has nothing to do with the quality of recruit you get as a result of winning....
  6. The quality of the Florida recruit is a myth, so Pitt should stop going to Florida for recruits, even though most of the players drafted are from FLA.
The best part of this, is when Pitt fans "like" the posts of some of these trolls write not knowing they're actually trolls! LOL!

do we really crack you up or did you just want to insult us by calling us idiots?

do we really crack you up or did you just want to insult us by calling us idiots?

I do not consider you an idiot. I know the trolls when I see them. You are a good poster. I may not agree with you all the time, but that's ok as long as your posts make sense on a certain level... When I see inconsistencies and all out stupidity for the sake of winning an argument with no substance, that makes my eyes roll...

I do not consider you an idiot. I know the trolls when I see them. You are a good poster. I may not agree with you all the time, but that's ok as long as your posts make sense on a certain level... When I see inconsistencies and all out stupidity for the sake of winning an argument with no substance, that makes my eyes roll...
thanks meister, hey, I agree with you though, there is a lot of frustration here lately and some of these people are all over the place with what they want. I said it in another post, we want a verbal and we want them to shut it down and say how much they love us but we want that recruit to still get other P5 offers at the same time to justify the offer and help with star rankings. it's ridiculous if you break it down.

you just have to laugh it off and chalk it up to impatience and frustration.

Reactions: pittmeister
thanks meister, hey, I agree with you though, there is a lot of frustration here lately and some of these people are all over the place with what they want. I said it in another post, we want a verbal and we want them to shut it down and say how much they love us but we want that recruit to still get other P5 offers at the same time to justify the offer and help with star rankings. it's ridiculous if you break it down.

I totally agree. In my opinion P5 offers is the measuring stick...

1-3 are completely wrong and not reflected in real opinions, save steelcurtain. 5 doesn't make sense as a satirical point. You improve your program via recruiting. You do not win big by beating much more talented teams and THEN get better recruits. There are absolutely 0 examples of this. ZERO. No one has said 6. No one.

Concern is one thing, unrealistic expectations on the level of recruit Pitt should bring in on a consistent basis is another.... I am not concerned at this time. I'll stay positive and watch things unfold going into the season.

Here is what I think:

- I'll be willing to bet we will finish in the 30's come February.

- A high percentage of the players that have committed now will not sign with that team, and Pitt will land a few.

- Believe Pitt will be better next year ( I will post that subject later today). Winning will help as well.
1. Finishing "in the 30s" likely isn't good enough, relative to our competition. Somehow you continually misunderstand this.

2. What is a "high percentage"? Earlier you said "most" which is unbelievably and totally wrong.

3. Better than last year's 5-7? I sure as shit hope so.

Except those groups don't intersect. It is the ridiculous homer folks who want "Pitt men" and don't care to be anyone's 2nd choice. The other group wants talent. I don't care if it is someone's dream to play at FSU, but he doesn't get the opportunity, so we get him. I don't even care if he is committed to us and hoping for FSU the entire time. If we get him and he is really talented, that is ALL that matters.

This most recent recruit is a great example of the double standard of meister, not the group of realists he produces straw man arguments against, in order to deride. "P5 offers matter." But not for Leslie Smith? "I trust the staff found a diamond in the rough." Well...except...EVERYONE has seen this kid and passed. I still hope we just did a better job scouting and believing in his ability, but the fact is, EVERYONE saw him and EVERYONE passed. Believing this recruit was a good get is ENTIRELY dependent on having blind faith in our staff and that EVERYONE else was wrong. I hope that is the case, but when that is all you have, you sure are on shaky ground.

Meister--Yep.

Coaches don't take a commit from an 0 star rated guy in early June unless you are certain that he is a P5 level talent (at least a solid 3-star level talent level player--irrespective of not having been assigned the stars) based on a thorough (more than film) scouting job. If you have any real doubts you make a conditional offer depending on the kids senior season and slots available as LOI day approaches.

Furthermore--"not everyone has seen every player and passed [on some]" as Jpripper claims. There are so many more football players than basketball players out there that, unlike basketball, many are not thoroughly scouted live and in person and seeing film only is marginal for decision making. That is why there are recruiting camps. There are a variety of reasons some kids are missed by the star assigners--such as not starting as a sophomore or junior due to playing behind some one who as a senior or junior is better (late physically maturing is one factor in that scenario) that contribute to some players getting missed.

Reactions: pittmeister

Every fan base wants 5* players that don't take a single other visit and tell every coach don't even both offering me, I'm not interested. Except of course the OP, because then he would argue that recruit isn't actually a 5* player since the offers aren't there. But every other reasonable fan would love that to be the case.
But we understand that, when it comes to elite players, it's a roller coaster. It's hold on tight and try to keep them, and don't panic when they Tweet out the edits that other fans make for them with them in that team's uniform, and them taking other visits, etc. That's life when you go after the kind of recruits at that level of talent.
There literally isn't a single fan on this message board that is saying, "You know, I don't want any 4* commits because of the ride they take you on. I'd rather wait until June and steal a LB from Appalachia State, because I know he's ours. I don't have to worry about that." That fan doesn't exist except in your head.

Meister--Yep.

Coaches don't take a commit from an 0 star rated guy in early June unless you are certain that he is a P5 level talent (at least a solid 3-star level talent level player--irrespective of not having been assigned the stars) based on a thorough (more than film) scouting job. If you have any real doubts you make a conditional offer depending on the kids senior season and slots available as LOI day approaches.

Except the concern some of us have is that our "Plan A" guys, just aren't good enough. There is a lack of talent being brought in. Now, you can disagree with that. And that's fine. But you saying, "Hey, if we took him in June, he's Plan A," doesn't really address the recruiting concerns that people are expressing about Plan A.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Meister--Yep.

Furthermore--"not everyone has seen every player and passed [on some]" as Jpripper claims. There are so many more football players than basketball players out there that, unlike basketball, many are not thoroughly scouted live and in person and seeing film only is marginal for decision making. That is why there are recruiting camps. There are a variety of reasons some kids are missed by the star assigners--such as not starting as a sophomore or junior due to playing behind some one who as a senior or junior is better (late physically maturing is one factor in that scenario) that contribute to some players getting missed.

"Coaches don't take a commit from an 0 star rated guy in early June unless you are certain that he is a P5 level talent (at least a solid 3-star level talent level player--irrespective of not having been assigned the stars) based on a thorough (more than film) scouting job. If you have any real doubts you make a conditional offer depending on the kids senior season and slots available as LOI day approaches. "

That's a great point...

I think a lot of people are all over the place because we haven't really found a true identity yet (idk if we ever will). On one hand, we just went 5-7 last year while needing ot to beat youngstown state and losing to 1-8 unc. On the other hand, we had two straight 8 win seasons while beating 3 top 10 teams the last 2 years. So we're by no means even close to a bottom feeder, but we've also not at all shown the consistency to beat lower level competition, or even keep a coaching staff.

I feel like we're stuck in the middle and a lot of people on this message board seem to think one extreme to the other when it comes to our success on the field next year. And the arguments on here seem to simply be from peoples different views of expectations.

Reactions: cashisking884
I think a lot of people are all over the place because we haven't really found a true identity yet (idk if we ever will). On one hand, we just went 5-7 last year while needing ot to beat youngstown state and losing to 1-8 unc. On the other hand, we had two straight 8 win seasons while beating 3 top 10 teams the last 2 years. So we're by no means even close to a bottom feeder, but we've also not at all shown the consistency to beat lower level competition, or even keep a coaching staff.

I feel like we're stuck in the middle and a lot of people on this message board seem to think one extreme to the other when it comes to our success on the field next year. And the arguments on here seem to simply be from peoples different views of expectations.

I can't argue with any of that...

In my opinion, the one thing the naysayers can't seem to grasp is where Pitt stands in the college football landscape.

Once they get out of the bubble and objectively look at Pitt football compared to the elites of the game, it is clear that the road to becoming a "big player" is more difficult than they want to admit.

Going head to head with the big boys for 4 star recruits on a consistent basis, is very difficult.

People mention how DW was able to get those recruits, however, he had a small window of opportunity that he was able to capitalize. He was a former alumni and an area native, that was a pro football coach, with both a Super Bowl ring and a National Championship ring.

He had a big pedigree...

He was selling a dream and the local players ate it up. After the first few years the dream was dying and we reverted back to where we normally recruited, in the 30's maybe the high 20's.

Reactions: PittPanther84
The B&W board is vastly different than this one...Of course the Lair isn't getting paid to feed into a cult's doctrine...

They don't crack me up, in fact it's what I expect on a message board of this sort.
IMO the board is a mix of sincere posters, trolls, know-it-alls, and inquisitive fans
looking to get some info on Pitt football. Personally I doubt that this board is any
different than any other college football board.

Don't waste your time Jpripper88
I got you on ignore... You are one of the dead heads I was referring too...

Have a nice day...
You are still responding and avoiding your obvious lies and misrepresentations of both mine and your points.

Meister--Yep.

I am talking about a one of case here, with our first commitment. He plays at one of the best programs in the country. They have multiple P5 recruits every single year. He is one of at least 5 this season and they had 5 last season. Also, no one is talking about "star assigners" but P5 HCs and staffs. They all saw this recruit. They all passed. He wasn't a guy who sat behind others last year, either. He was a starter and impact player and selected for the 8A 3rd team defense. He played. He was impactful. EVERYONE saw him and passed, expect us.

Hopefully we got it right, but you can't say "I trust P5 offers" and then say they don't actually matter when Pitt takes a commitment from a guy without any. That is what pittmeister is doing. Then he is "ignoring" anyone who calls him out on it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT