ADVERTISEMENT

RIP to Nathan Davis

If you are a pitt alum chances are you took his intro to jazz class. One of the best ever. 81 years young

His class was a good one. Sad to hear. I hope somewhere in the University's archives they have a recording of his class.

Pitt's Jazz program has been really hit hard lately with last summer's untimely death of Davis' successor, Geri Allen, and now Davis. It is a storied and leading jazz program, but it has now lost two amazing internationally renown musicians with major cred and ties all over the jazz world. Makes me wonder where Pitt is going to turn.

Last edited:
The best classes I had in the 70’s were Jazz 80 with Nathan Davis, Presidential rhetoric with Ted Windt and a military history course with Colonel Goldstein who wrote many books on Pearl Harbor. Sadly all have now passed

The best classes I had in the 70’s were Jazz 80 with Nathan Davis, Presidential rhetoric with Ted Windt and a military history course with Colonel Goldstein who wrote many books on Pearl Harbor. Sadly all have now passed
"Rhetoric in a Free Society" was the class that I took from Ted Windt. That class was one of the first classes to close out at registration because of its popularity. Assigned reading included "Animal Farm" and "1984".

Thank you for the reference. I took Professor Windt’s course as well and enjoyed it immensely.

Had not thought about it for years until now.

Thank you for the reference. I took Professor Windt’s course as well and enjoyed it immensely.

Had not thought about it for years until now.

"Us Texans are not Southerners. Us Texans are Texans"

I wish I had more interest in politics back then. If Dr Windt was still with us.....I would be sure to listen to his voice.

Wow. Blast from the past. Second semester, freshman year, 1991. So hard to get into. Is music still a requirement these days?
RIP ND...

Reactions: HOF Coach
My father used to tell him stories about him, said he was his favorite "teacher" b/c his teachings went into his life. RIP in peace.

I had Nathan Davis and Ted Windt both . Got to see Windt years later and told him how much I enjoyed Pres Rhet 1 & 2. Nathan was a jazz legend and always brought in to talent for the Mellon jazz fest I remember Billy Cobham coming to Pitt did a great Drum clinic I attended and got to talk with him -Cobham is top notch period

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT