ADVERTISEMENT

Roster

PG: McGowens, Johnson

SG/Wing: Ellison, Davis, N'Dir, JWF, Stevenson (undersized 4)

Big: Brown, Kene, Peace, George

Two spots left. Coaches may just hold one or both for 2019 if they can't get another grad transfer.

Reactions: DrPittfan163
PG: McGowens, Johnson

SG/Wing: Ellison, Davis, N'Dir, JWF, Stevenson (undersized 4)

Big: Brown, Kene, Peace, George

Two spots left. Coaches may just hold one or both for 2019 if they can't get another grad transfer.

Is Kene back for sure? If so, the eleven you listed is IMO better than last year's team
overall, but still weak on the inside. I agree with what you said about Stephenson.....an
"undersized 4." I have to believe there are grad transfers (Bigs) who are at least as
good as Browne and certainly Kene. If so I'd like to see two or at least one join this
group. The thought of Browne backed up by Iggy at Center is scary. Kene
at PF backed up by George....that's even worse.
Someone posted last night that we might play 4 out and 1 inside. That's a possibility,
but I'd rather Capel add reliable Bigs if he can.

I believe this is how it goes--someone please correct if in error.

Here is last year's roster sorted by position--

http://pittsburghpanthers.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball&roster=186&sort=position

Subtractions (5 Ships Opened)--

P. Stewart (transfer out) SG
J. Milligan (graduated) PG
R. Luther (transfer out) PF
M. Carr (transfer out) CG
M. Boykins (graduated) SG
Z. Smith (walk-on graduated) SG

Additions (3 Ships Filled)--

S. N'Dir (grad transfer) PG [6-2, 190]
X. Johnson (Fr) PG/CG [6-1, 175]
T. McGowens (Fr) SG/CG [6-4, 175]

That leaves 3 Ships Open for 2019 Class (Since N'Dir as grad transfer will only play 1 year).

That leaves 3 Ships Open for 2019 Class (Since N'Dir as grad transfer will only play 1 year).

I guess the question is....Kene? is he back. Another poster mentioned the pay
board seemed to say he's back. If so, we 2 ships open. Anyone know for sure?

Kene is back. Currently there are two open spots and two seniors (JWF and N'Dir). Plus there are still some guys who could be asked to move on after this year.

Capel can still have a large 2019 class.

Reactions: Chescat

Forgot Ellison.

Kene is back. Currently there are two open spots and two seniors (JWF and N'Dir). Plus there are still some guys who could be asked to move on after this year.

Just wondering out loud , but you have to wonder how the play of Chewie and Pitts other inside players last season were effected by KS system . Were they really that bad of rebounders or was the scheme making them look that bad ? I also doubt you’ll see Chewie chucking up all those threes this coming season too .

Don’t worry there will be plenty of space for the serious upgrades Pitts new recruiting guru will bring in !

We currently have 11 players.

2 seniors
2 juniors
5 sophomores
2 freshmen

If this holds, I would expect Capel to bring in 6 next year coming from the current unfilled 2 scholarships, JWF, N'dir, and 2 more players who will either transfer (Ellison), or won't be asked back (Chukwuka, George, Peace, etc).

Reactions: cabe23
If we are actually keeping Kene and George I'd like to see us bring in 1 grad transfer big and 1 FR big. Next year you push out Kene and George and then have 3 SRs leaving. Plus, you could have Davis and Ellison looking to leave or get pushed out. Gives you easy access to at least 5 scholarships for 2019 and possibly as many as 7.

If we are actually keeping Kene and George I'd like to see us bring in 1 grad transfer big and 1 FR big. Next year you push out Kene and George and then have 3 SRs leaving. Plus, you could have Davis and Ellison looking to leave or get pushed out. Gives you easy access to at least 5 scholarships for 2019 and possibly as many as 7.

You make some very good points. So far Capel has "pushed" nobody out. My guess
is he wanted to show positive feelings to the existing players and look like a "good guy"
with his initial dealings with the program. The fact that he's keeping Kene, Iggy, and
George despite their limitations says a lot about him. It will be interesting to see how he
handles this after one year here. If he brings in a few Bigs one or two now, and a few next year, he could actually keep Kene, Iggy and George.They would have the seldom used 11th, 12th and 13th spots.

2 seniors
2 juniors
5 sophomores
2 freshmen

If this holds, I would expect Capel to bring in 6 next year coming from the current unfilled 2 scholarships, JWF, N'dir, and 2 more players who will either transfer (Ellison), or won't be asked back (Chukwuka, George, Peace, etc).

This sounds about right to me but I think as long as you have a minimum class of 4 legit kids next season that is a really good start.

Hard to get a class of 6 really good kids.

So anything from 4 to 6 is good in my book.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg

2 seniors
2 juniors
5 sophomores
2 freshmen

This sounds about right to me but I think as long as you have a minimum class of 4 legit kids next season that is a really good start.

Going to be at least 5. I agree with you on 6 but the 6th could be a regular transfer, grad transfer, etc. I think we'll sign at least 5 frosh

I wouldn't be surprised if Aiken were to be redshirted this coming season with the opportunity to win a ship for the following season depending on how he looks/develops in practice.

Just wondering out loud , but you have to wonder how the play of Chewie and Pitts other inside players last season were effected by KS system . Were they really that bad of rebounders or was the scheme making them look that bad ? I also doubt you’ll see Chewie chucking up all those threes this coming season too .

Don’t worry there will be plenty of space for the serious upgrades Pitts new recruiting guru will bring in !
'

You make some very good points. So far Capel has "pushed" nobody out. My guess
is he wanted to show positive feelings to the existing players and look like a "good guy"
with his initial dealings with the program. The fact that he's keeping Kene, Iggy, and
George despite their limitations says a lot about him. It will be interesting to see how he
handles this after one year here. If he brings in a few Bigs one or two now, and a few next year, he could actually keep Kene, Iggy and George.They would have the seldom used 11th, 12th and 13th spots.
That is too much charity with no payoff IMO. Especially all at similar/same positions.

I would expect at least 4 (probably 5) FR and then 1-3 grad transfers or transfers next year. I think ideally you have 6 scholarships to work with and you take 4 FR, 1 grad, and 1 is flexible based on whether you can get a really high level transfer or FR.

That is too much charity with no payoff IMO. Especially all at similar/same positions.

I would expect at least 4 (probably 5) FR and then 1-3 grad transfers or transfers next year. I think ideally you have 6 scholarships to work with and you take 4 FR, 1 grad, and 1 is flexible based on whether you can get a really high level transfer or FR.

What "payoff" does any team get from the 11th,12th, and 13th slots. A normal rotation
is usually about 9 players. By the way, I'm no fan of Kene, Iggy, or George. My preference
would be to counsel them out of the program. If they insisted, on staying, and I doubt all
three would do that, Capel would have to make a decision on each.
I realize some coaches get rid of marginal players every year. With all that said, I'd rather
they be gone sooner than later. I also have to admit I have no idea what kind of character
these guys have. My sense is they're pretty good guys. It'll be interesting to see how
Capel handles this.

What "payoff" does any team get from the 11th,12th, and 13th slots. A normal rotation
is usually about 9 players. By the way, I'm no fan of Kene, Iggy, or George. My preference
would be to counsel them out of the program. If they insisted, on staying, and I doubt all
three would do that, Capel would have to make a decision on each.
I realize some coaches get rid of marginal players every year. With all that said, I'd rather
they be gone sooner than later. I also have to admit I have no idea what kind of character
these guys have. My sense is they're pretty good guys. It'll be interesting to see how
Capel handles this.
Well, normally those spots on the roster are guys who you hope could develop into something and eventually contribute. For all 3 to essentially be the same position AND have no chance of being quality ACC players, that is a lot of charity with no chance of cashing in.

Well, normally those spots on the roster are guys who you hope could develop into something and eventually contribute. For all 3 to essentially be the same position AND have no chance of being quality ACC players, that is a lot of charity with no chance of cashing in.

Ok, I'll agree with the "all three same position" statement and I certainly agree that
they "have no chance of being quality ACC players." What I usually see is
11th, 12th, and 13th getting recruited over as opposed to eventually contributing.
Their usual contribution is being practice fpodder. Anyway, I'm just looking at it from
a different viewpoint. We're probably more in agreement on this then our posts. LOL

Ok, I'll agree with the "all three same position" statement and I certainly agree that
they "have no chance of being quality ACC players." What I usually see is
11th, 12th, and 13th getting recruited over as opposed to eventually contributing.
Their usual contribution is being practice fpodder. Anyway, I'm just looking at it from
a different viewpoint. We're probably more in agreement on this then our posts. LOL
Yeah, I think most of the time those guys are getting recruited over, but you at least hope they hit sometimes. I don't think any of those guys have a prayer of being players and it all being the same position makes even more unlikely.

I definitely think we agree we hope to see better, even if they are the 11, 12, and 13 spots on the team, in the future.

Reactions: Chescat
Being 6'9" with a 7'4" wingspan is a good start for developmental player.

Yeah, I think most of the time those guys are getting recruited over, but you at least hope they hit sometimes. I don't think any of those guys have a prayer of being players and it all being the same position makes even more unlikely.

I definitely think we agree we hope to see better, even if they are the 11, 12, and 13 spots on the team, in the future.

Reactions: TreesHero

I think it was the system. I thought chewie was absolutely terrible last season, but occasionally showed he could rebound. I'm not thrilled to have him back, but a little intrigued to see him under a new coach. If capel doesn't let him chuck up awful shots at free will and he spends the offseason working on his post game, he may end up being a serviceable bench 4.

Being 6'9" with a 7'4" wingspan is a good start for developmental player.
Hope he can play?
Griffon%2BVulture.jpg

Reactions: HOF Coach

Nothing has come directly from Kene. I have heard he’s returning but I would feel better if he posted something. Everything is speculation until he announces. Never expected him to be the last player to announce.

Reactions: TreesHero
At this moment how many Pitt fans really care one way or another whether he is back in terms of possibly helping the team be improved over last season?

To judge by various discussions on this board he appears to be seen as an end of bench player occupying a ship that it is hoped will eventually go to a more talented big man.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
IMO from a purely basketball perspective, I'd prefer he not be back. What none
of us know is what kind of person and teammate he is. Does he add any intangibles like leadership, positive and upbeat attitude, unselfishness, team oriented, etc. We also don't
know where Capal is with this guy, maybe he wants him back. If Capal wants him, that's
certainly fine with me. However as I said, from a purely basketball perspective I'd like to see
him replaced with a legitimate BIG.

At this moment how many Pitt fans really care one way or another whether he is back in terms of possibly helping the team be improved over last season?

To judge by various discussions on this board he appears to be seen as an end of bench player occupying a ship that it is hoped will eventually go to a more talented big man.

That's basically where I'm at. Ok if he stays, but don't really care if he leaves.

That's basically where I'm at. Ok if he stays, but don't really care if he leaves.

Clearly he didn't set the world of Pitt basketball on fire last season. But perhaps, as Chescat suggests, Capel has seen some potential? We shall know eventually.

At least now we have enough players on the roster (even without another grad transfer or two) to field a team with some bench and to hold practices that include 5 on 5 situations. That is a lot better place than where we were after Stallings was let go and the transfers out were underway. Back then, it appeared we might enter next season with only 5-6 of the least talented players returning and the rest of the roster would have to be constructed of walk-ons from on-campus tryouts of former high school players with Div. 3 college-level hoops ability at the most.

The currently most likely players to get the most game minutes I would GUESS appear to be--

N'Dir (PG) and Elllison (2G/SF) should get starters PT.

Likewise, since we need at least one big man, Brown (C/PF) should get starters PT.

Then, at least based on last season--Frame (2G/F) will get good PT. Also, Stevenson (2G/SF) and Davis (2G) could get decent PT.

Finally, If they are as talented as believed, McGowens (2G/PG) and Johnson (PG) could/should eventually take away minutes from Stevenson and Davis as the season progresses with Johnson being N'Dir primary backup at the point and McGowens getting 2G minutes behind Frame and Ellison since the latter two should see significant minutes as wings (hybrid SFs/2Gs) if the "4-Guard" system is used as Pitt's primary offense.

Just guesswork--thoughts welcome.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
I think both McGowens and Johnson will get a lot of PT and maybe McGowens even starts.

I could see a starting rotation of something along the lines of
McGowens/N'Dir at the 1 and 2.
Ellison at 3
Stevenson at the 4. Undersized for sure but really lack another big after Brown.
Brown at the 5.

Frame could potentially start as well in place of Stevenson where they go with a 4 guard type system.

The currently most likely players to get the most game minutes I would GUESS appear to be--

N'Dir (PG) and Elllison (2G/SF) should get starters PT.

Likewise, since we need at least one big man, Brown (C/PF) should get starters PT.

Then, at least based on last season--Frame (2G/F) will get good PT. Also, Stevenson (2G/SF) and Davis (2G) could get decent PT.

Finally, If they are as talented as believed, McGowens (2G/PG) and Johnson (PG) could/should eventually take away minutes from Stevenson and Davis as the season progresses with Johnson being N'Dir primary backup at the point and McGowens getting 2G minutes behind Frame and Ellison since the latter two should see significant minutes as wings (hybrid SFs/2Gs) if the "4-Guard" system is used as Pitt's primary offense.

Just guesswork--thoughts welcome.
Stevenson won't be playing any 2G.

Stevenson won't be playing any 2G.

If we don't get any Bigs, he'll be playing the four with Kene. Frame will probably play the wing
and split time with Ellison, and maybe even Davis. This is a worse case scenario with what we
currently have, which IMO, is better than last year's team. However, I fully expect Capel to
bring in a Big or two for 2018. That would give us a lot of flexibility and we could still go small
if it was warranted. We're set at guard and Wing IMO. Even if the newbie Bigs aren't great, they
will at least give Stevenson and Browne a break in minutes.

I think both McGowens and Johnson will get a lot of PT and maybe McGowens even starts.

I could see a starting rotation of something along the lines of
McGowens/N'Dir at the 1 and 2.
Ellison at 3
Stevenson at the 4. Undersized for sure but really lack another big after Brown.
Brown at the 5.

Frame could potentially start as well in place of Stevenson where they go with a 4 guard type system.

If your scenario happens, it's because we go with what we now presently have on this
team. Either of your suggestions is better than what we had last year, IMO.
The backcourt is far better in fact. The frontcourt maybe slightly better only because of
experience. Bodies are needed upfront.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT