ADVERTISEMENT

Rothstein Off-season ACC rankings

SU vs Pitt game 1. Mintz - 24 pts, 5 steals, 4 assists, 5 rebounds.
SU vs Pitt game 2. Mintz - 16 pts, 6 assists.
That’s a whole lotta trash.

7 of 17 shooting with the refs bailing him out with weak flops in game 1. It was more like 7 of 22 in a loss.

Game 2- Booger-eater kept playing in him a blowout loss. He scored 11 of his 16 after the game wasn't competitive.

Yeah, trash. The best part was his crying and refusing to shake hands like a b!tch.

Lol I think Nike was the most overrated Panther of the Capel era but you just completely discredit him who was a better scorer and defender in a better league than any of PITT’s current transfers.

How could Hinson’s role change unless he completely transforms his body and develops a move to get to the basket? If he wants to get a shot in the league he should want to keep his role as is and just improve his defense.

Jeffress needs to graduate and move on with his life’s work. His defense isn’t even that good.

You have to make a lot of assumptions just to put Pitt in the top 5-6, let alone the top half. Not saying there isn’t a combination to do it, but this team could easily finish in the bottom 4 as well if things don’t fall the right way. There’s so many external factors irs impossible to give an accurate gauges of where they’ll be, which is why I think rothstein analysis is fair.

Until Dior Johnson puts on a Pitt uniform in a regular season basketball game and the public address announcer says his bam, I’m not gonna believe he plays a second for Pitt.

There's an old saying in Tennessee—I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee—that says, 'Fool me once, shame on... shame on you. Fool me 13 times ——- you can't get fooled again. '"

With Johnson, that's where I'm at also. I don't believe he's playing for Pitt until I see him on the court in a Pitt uniform in a real ACC game and he's scored some points. Then I'll believe it. Until then, he's not here and available.

7 of 17 shooting with the refs bailing him out with weak flops in game 1. It was more like 7 of 22 in a loss.

Game 2- Booger-eater kept playing in him a blowout loss. He scored 11 of his 16 after the game wasn't competitive.

Yeah, trash. The best part was his crying and refusing to shake hands like a b!tch.
Mintz will put up better numbers that Dior this year.

A few of Pitt's transfers under Capel the last 3 years

Jamarius Burton- 1st Team All ACC and an ACC POY candidate

Blake Hinson- 2nd Team All ACC

Mo Gueye- Good enough to play a few NBA games and average 10 / 6 / 2 in college

Nike Sibande- 6th man of the year

With that said,

Leggett is going to be quite good next year. Im looking for Mike Cook type stats.

Also,

Pitt has 3 Top 100 recruits and 6 top 150 ranked recruits coming off the bench per Rothstein if you believe Rothstein's starting 5 (which I dont by the way). Anyone thinking Pitt is lacking talent needs to reread that again.

I also think Jaland Lowe is more than ready should something happen with Dior. This freshmen class coming in is an impact class.

With that said,

Leggett is going to be quite good next year. Im looking for Mike Cook type stats.

Also,

Pitt has 3 Top 100 recruits and 6 top 150 ranked recruits coming off the bench per Rothstein if you believe Rothstein's starting 5 (which I dont by the way). Anyone thinking Pitt is lacking talent needs to reread that again.

I also think Jaland Lowe is more than ready should something happen with Dior. This freshmen class coming in is an impact class.
What would be your starting 5 instead of Rothstein's group?

With that said,

Also,

If history is our teacher, Leggett will be at about 8 PPG

I like Mintz, but don’t see him as a winning player. I see him as a guy who’d rather get his than win. It will be intresting to see how he and the team do this year.

It's odd that so many players go to Syracuse and just act like complete dicks on the court. I watched Mintz a good bit in the EYBL. You didn't see him acting like child on court but a year later he's completely a selfish ass.

Capel has done a great job of identifying talent, whether thru the portal, traditional transfer, or freshmen route. He’s had good classes and late surprises. The faults have been in the actual coaching and team building. Last year, the combination of 4 old guards who had a shared sacrifice and bought into that to win and look good, plus adding a twice scorned Fede and a determined Hinson really worked. Hopefully he can use some of that last year’s magic to convince all the guys to do it again. That’s why I think they could finish anywhere from 1-15. They have enough pure talent to beat anyone, but they he did enough guys who could derail a season that it could not work. I think this is a big reason you see all of these dictator coaches retiring, the control is firmly in the players and it’s basically a crapshoot buying into a team.

The only thing that derailed last year from being special to all time was John Hugley predictably being the giant asshole he’s always been

He’s had good classes and late surprises. The faults have been in the actual coaching and team building.
I think this is a big reason you see all of these dictator coaches retiring, the control is firmly in the players
This is exactly as I have seen it. I don't like Capel, he shows the weaknesses you stated. But his strength all along was going to be his ability to bring in talent which he has, but he is unable to build team unity. However, dictator Coaches, and my idea of what a good Coach is, are a relic of by-gone days....Capel has a different set of skills and they gave Pitt a great boost last year and there is no reason that Capel's skills won't continue the general trend. When his talented players bring a winning attitude that builds team unity like the group of men did last season, Capel is all about letting them lead and highlight their talent. The results speak for themselves... while the Coaches I like ride off into the sunset, some bitter and some satisfied, but all of them best suited for the rocking chair.

This is exactly as I have seen it. I don't like Capel, he shows the weaknesses you stated. But his strength all along was going to be his ability to bring in talent which he has, but he is unable to build team unity. However, dictator Coaches, and my idea of what a good Coach is, are a relic of by-gone days....Capel has a different set of skills and they gave Pitt a great boost last year and there is no reason that Capel's skills won't continue the general trend. When his talented players bring a winning attitude that builds team unity like the group of men did last season, Capel is all about letting them lead and highlight their talent. The results speak for themselves... while the Coaches I like ride off into the sunset, some bitter and some satisfied, but all of them best suited for the rocking chair.
I really don’t care who the head coach is as long as they’re not an embarrassment like Stallings or doing other clown stuff off the court ala Huggins and embarrassing the university. Just win babh

Reactions: Parkview57
And Austin?
Probably slightly less than that at 6-7. Big difference between going against the HM guys every day and just surprising them taking every shot you want OOC. Leggett might be slightly higher due to playing in a decent MM league. But he shot 13 times a game last year and 39 percent overall. Those numbers he put up were born out of opportunity on a bad team. I usually pencil in guys for somewhere between 1/2 - 2/3 of their point production bouncing up.

I really don’t care who the head coach is as long as they’re not an embarrassment
I agree, not only that but also, there are always going to be teammates, coaches , bosses , in life that you don't like. In the case of Capel, I really don't know him so when I say I don't like him it's not personal. But who cares if I like him, he is digging Pitt out of the CB abyss. I like Tomlin a lot more than I liked Cowher, but a lot of people see it the other way.

I agree, not only that but also, there are always going to be teammates, coaches , bosses , in life that you don't like. In the case of Capel, I really don't know him so when I say I don't like him it's not personal. But who cares if I like him, he is digging Pitt out of the CB abyss. I like Tomlin a lot more than I liked Cowher, but a lot of people see it the other way.
Oh I think Cowher is a much better coach than Tomlin. Tomlin has actually done his best work without Ben imo. If Cowher had Ben as long as Tomlin, we’d probably have another Super Bowl or 2

12 for Legget. 5 for Austin.
Tend to agree more along this track. Torvik projects Leggett at 12, Austin at 6.

12 feels right for Leggett since I think he’s gonna start and probably play close to 30 minutes. They’ve got Dior at 8, though, and I think he’ll probably settle in closer to 12, too. Both of those guys are gonna have enough usage that I think they’ll both hit it, even though I could see some inefficient games out of either one of them.

I could see a scenario where Austin could be closer to 8, but o think that’ll be less efficient just because I think they’re gonna let him shoot it from three with some volume.

I think we’ll see a split where you have Blake as the team’s leading scorer by a pretty solid margin - think 16-18 points a game - and then a collection of guys that are somewhere between 6-12, with Leggett and Dior closer to 12, and Fede, Austin, and maybe one or both of the twins down closer to 8.

I also think that if we see Jeffress enter into that grouping of 6-12 PPG guys, we’ll comfortably be in the tournament next spring.

Would you consider guys like Tony Bennett, Rick Barnes, Rick Pitino, or Chris Beard "dictator" type coaches?

A big part of Capel's success last year was a weak league and working with almost zero expectations. Most fans had already written the season off back in November. It was an enjoyable season as it played out, thanks to team chemistry and the fact the team fought to turn things around when it would have been easy to quit. ...Looking at it a few months out, the team being no-show against ND with an ACC Championship on the line and getting boat raced in the NCAA against the first quality opponent is so on brand for a Capel coached team.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Tend to agree more along this track. Torvik projects Leggett at 12, Austin at 6.

12 feels right for Leggett since I think he’s gonna start and probably play close to 30 minutes. They’ve got Dior at 8, though, and I think he’ll probably settle in closer to 12, too. Both of those guys are gonna have enough usage that I think they’ll both hit it, even though I could see some inefficient games out of either one of them.

I could see a scenario where Austin could be closer to 8, but o think that’ll be less efficient just because I think they’re gonna let him shoot it from three with some volume.

I think we’ll see a split where you have Blake as the team’s leading scorer by a pretty solid margin - think 16-18 points a game - and then a collection of guys that are somewhere between 6-12, with Leggett and Dior closer to 12, and Fede, Austin, and maybe one or both of the twins down closer to 8.

I also think that if we see Jeffress enter into that grouping of 6-12 PPG guys, we’ll comfortably be in the tournament next spring.

Leggett isnt going to have his PPG cut in half going from A10 to ACC. The A10 is a good level. I agree Dior will be around 12.

Would you consider guys like Tony Bennett, Rick Barnes, Rick Pitino, or Chris Beard "dictator" type coaches?

A big part of Capel's success last year was a weak league and working with almost zero expectations. Most fans had already written the season off back in November. It was an enjoyable season as it played out, thanks to team chemistry and the fact the team fought to turn things around when it would have been easy to quit. ...Looking at it a few months out, the team being no-show against ND with an ACC Championship on the line and getting boat raced in the NCAA against the first quality opponent is so on brand for a Capel coached team.
#29 kenpom Iowa State begs to differ. Nearly the same kenpom rank as Indiana.

You misspelled "I hate my life". 😆

Reactions: FireballZ
Leggett isnt going to have his PPG cut in half going from A10 to ACC. The A10 is a good level. I agree Dior will be around 12.
1. He’s not gonna average around 13 shots a game like he did last year

2. The A10 is a 1 bid league. It’s no longer a good league.

If Leggett gets 13 shots a game or really anywhere in the double digit range, look for us to finish in the lower half. He isn’t an efficient scorer

Reactions: PITTstorm
If he stays healthy, I would think he will match Nelly's stat line. Maybe a bit better depending on the scoring at the 3.
39 percent FG percentage. 13 shots per game. If he’s getting anywhere close to 13 shots, Pitt is in trouble. They need to keep him around 7-5-8.5 shots a game and make him more efficient.

9 fg attempts at 11.6 per game was Nelly’s conference play stat line last year. I think that’s what they’re probably about what they’re hoping for and what they sold to him.

Reactions: joeydavid
Lol wait I have him on ignore because his hoops takes are so bad. Did someone say Rick Pitino WASNT a dictator type coach?

Listen, I love Rick. Greatest coach of all time. Convincing Ledlum to take uncle Mass’s mafia NIL money was genius. They’re gonna be crazy good this year. He is the definition of a dictator. He just made a deal with the devil to live forever doing it

Tony Bennett's a "dictator" type coach? That's news to us. :)
Do you think he is or isn't?

I'm not the guy on here that coined the term dictator for a type of coach.

It all depends on perspective. Everyone has their role in his blocker-mover offense, and there might be freedom within those roles, there isn't freedom to deviate from those roles. PT depends on maintaining the team concept and limiting mistakes. And you simply don't see the floor if can't defend.

Bennett recruits culture and character over raw talent. He doesn't have to resort to old school tactics to get what he wants out of his guys. For the most part, he knows the players he inks are going to buy in.

9 fg attempts at 11.6 per game was Nelly’s conference play stat line last year. I think that’s what they’re probably about what they’re hoping for and what they sold to him.
With Nelly, he would’ve accepted any role to be at Pitt and bring them back like he did.

The problem with a kid like Leggett is he MAY have some idiots in his ear that tell him 9 shots ain’t enough to get him to the league. It’s all a freaking crapshoot with these muppets these days.

Like I said, let’s hope they figured out the formula. Also, I wasn’t denigrating Leggett. I think he can be a fine contributor. I just see more of a Horton type contribution. For the love of god just don’t say he is the best scorer in the ACC during preseason practice

Reactions: pittchagg
In the context of my discussion, yes, in the sense that there is an expectation of the way business is going to be done. I did not intend it to reflect the 1960's gym teacher approach.
Bennett recruits culture and character over raw talent.

Indeed there is a pattern to the staff and players approach to preperation, etc., that was what I was alluding too.

Reactions: TD_6082
With Nelly, he would’ve accepted any role to be at Pitt and bring them back like he did.

The problem with a kid like Leggett is he MAY have some idiots in his ear that tell him 9 shots ain’t enough to get him to the league. It’s all a freaking crapshoot with these muppets these days.

Like I said, let’s hope they figured out the formula. Also, I wasn’t denigrating Leggett. I think he can be a fine contributor. I just see more of a Horton type contribution. For the love of god just don’t say he is the best scorer in the ACC during preseason practice

Mike Cook ECU Stats as a sophomore with no help on offense trying to run point guard and be the whole offense while the entire opposing team defense is geared towards trying to stop him.

Team Record- 9-19
Pomeroy Rank- 197

15 points per game
4 rebounds per game
3 assists per game
4 turnovers per game
37% Fg percentage
31% 3 point per percentage

Mike Cook Pitt stats as a junior

10.5 points per game
3.4 rebounds per game
2.6 assists per game
1.7 turnovers per game
50% FG percentage
47% 3 point percentage

Granted, Cook sat out a year on a redshirt to improve some things. But he also did a complete transformation with his efficiency by switching positions, lowering his usage rate substantially, and having actual help with the scoring load on offense. And his stats turned out really good and we won a lot with him.

I find Leggett's stats fairly impressive given he played on one of the worst offensive teams in all of D1 when you take him off the team completely. Leggett was playing basketball last year with a bunch of Drumgoole's and Jeffress brick layers on offense and he was the entire offense.

I share some of your skepticism with regards to Austin and having a significant impact on offense and what he can do here, Im not even sure he will start. I do not have the same skepticism with Leggett. He's good, we wanted him the day he entered the portal, and we got him.

And I expect Mike Cook type numbers with more rebounds and a bit lower shooting percentages with regard to Leggett. I think he helps us a lot.

Do you guys think that Federiko can join the 10-12 ppg group?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT