ADVERTISEMENT

Rothstein Picks Pitt 8th in ACC

Protes

All American
Mar 23, 2003
Doesn't even have Delalic on our bench, LOL. Anyway, it's better when we are underrated and disrespected. Can't wait for us to prove the "experts" wrong again. #H2P

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
Doesn't even have Delalic on our bench, LOL. Anyway, it's better when we are underrated and disrespected. Can't wait for us to prove the "experts" wrong again. #H2P

UVa way too low. Bennett is masterful in the regular season. Pitt could finish anywhere from 1st to 8th, I'd say.

I'd probably go

1. UNC
2. Duke
3. UVa
4. Pitt

I don't see 8th as an insult, by any means. Especially with 18 teams. I could see it. We'd have a shot at the tournament if we did that, too (well, assuming the ACC grades out a little better than it has been), because the difference in conference seeding is like a game here and there or a tiebreaker.

I don't see 8th as an insult, by any means. Especially with 18 teams. I could see it. We'd have a shot at the tournament if we did that, too (well, assuming the ACC grades out a little better than it has been), because the difference in conference seeding is like a game here and there or a tiebreaker.
I agree. We will see how things go.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Do we really have a hard time figuring out why people could look at us and see a team that lost a lottery pick guard and a guy who made something like 4,738 three pointers last season and think that we might not be quite as good?
I’d have to look it up to be certain but 4,738 seems high.

Do we really have a hard time figuring out why people could look at us and see a team that lost a lottery pick guard and a guy who made something like 4,738 three pointers last season and think that we might not be quite as good?

I mean we return 4 important pieces from an NCAAT team and got some decent transfers so yes, 8th seems really low to me

Reactions: KennyHeisman8
Not at all. Figured we’d be picked around 7th or 8th at best. But I do think we’ll be better than that. Corhen is an upgrade over Fede. Bub was really good, but so is Beebah. We’ll have more depth at Center. Jaland will be much better. Amsal is the wild card, if he replaces 2/3’s of Blake’s scoring, we are going to be very good.

Not at all. Figured we’d be picked around 7th or 8th at best. But I do think we’ll be better than that. Corhen is an upgrade over Fede. Bub was really good, but so is Beebah. We’ll have more depth at Center. Jaland will be much better. Amsal is the wild card, if he replaces 2/3’s of Blake’s scoring, we are going to be very good.

I'm sort of on the fence as to whether or not we'll be a better team than last season. I think the overall talent may be a net loss, but the team could still be better as a whole with better positional balance. And even if we're not a better team, we could still have a better season by virtue of not completely pissing November and December away.

Still, it's not as though we exist in a vacuum. There are some teams we finished ahead of last season (Wake, Clemson, Miami, NC State, etc.) that have quite a few returning names I recognize, and I'm also looking through the transfer portal rankings and seeing some of them pop up quite a bit in the top #150. With how rampant guys coming and going is nowadays, it also wouldn't shock me (this season or any season) if a team like Syracuse or Louisville emerges out of nowhere to be pretty decent.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
I mean we return 4 important pieces from an NCAAT team and got some decent transfers so yes, 8th seems really low to me

We lost our best two guys from a team that did not, in fact, make the NCAAT. Which is why it should be easy to see why someone could think we are going to take a step back this season.

I'm not saying that we will, I'm just saying that it's pretty obvious why people could think that way.

We lost our best two guys from a team that did not, in fact, make the NCAAT. Which is why it should be easy to see why someone could think we are going to take a step back this season.

I'm not saying that we will, I'm just saying that it's pretty obvious why people could think that way.
Plus, we didn’t bring in any obviously highly rated newcomers. It’s possible, if not even likely, that Cummings may be underrated and Amsal could be a real find. But none of our newcomers are thought of as high impact from the outside.

I’m optimistic, but like you said, picking us 8th is pretty obvious at this point.

In ACC Conference play only stats,

Jaland Lowe had a higher shooting percentage, 3 point shooting percentage by a wide margin, a better ORTG power rating, better assist to turnover ratio, better free throw percentage, and less turnovers per game than Bub Carrington in ACC Conference play. In fact, Bub only scored 1.5 points more per game than Lowe in ACC Conference play and he played 2 more minutes per game. Let's not override or dismiss the fact that Lowe turned it on and flipped the switch big time which was the main reason our entire season turned around. He was the main catalyst at point guard leading the charge. And I wouldn't be surprised if he is a future All American. And I can certainly argue he was better than Bub in ACC Conference play last year.

And as far as impact players. Cam Corhen averaged 9.8 points per game in ACC Conference play as a sophomore with an ORTG offensive power rating of 128 with a 68% shooting percentage (Troutman level), which is better than anyone in the entire Jeff Capel era, and he did that as a 19 year old sophomore. Why this guy is constantly getting slept on is beyond me. There was so much hype around Fede the last few years because of his defense which used to make me dizzy because I was one of the few that never bought into the Fede noise, and Corhen destroyed Fede, twice, coming off the bench, as an 18 year old and 19 year old underclassmen. And now he is a seasoned junior with the one of the best returning offensive power ratings in the entire ACC. He was second last year in win shares at seasons end on Florida State's team.

Here's a fun little poll idea. Which duo would you take, Hinson and Bub last year, or Lowe and Corhen this year? Because I think the latter is going to be really, really good this year.

I'm sort of on the fence as to whether or not we'll be a better team than last season. I think the overall talent may be a net loss, but the team could still be better as a whole with better positional balance. And even if we're not a better team, we could still have a better season by virtue of not completely pissing November and December away.

Still, it's not as though we exist in a vacuum. There are some teams we finished ahead of last season (Wake, Clemson, Miami, NC State, etc.) that have quite a few returning names I recognize, and I'm also looking through the transfer portal rankings and seeing some of them pop up quite a bit in the top #150. With how rampant guys coming and going is nowadays, it also wouldn't shock me (this season or any season) if a team like Syracuse or Louisville emerges out of nowhere to be pretty decent.

Its tricky. Last year's team was a Top 15ish team that struggled a bit early and whose OOC SOS and the MWC kept them out. So while we may not be a Top 15ish team type team, I think we have the much better resume.

Its tricky. Last year's team was a Top 15ish team that struggled a bit early and whose OOC SOS and the MWC kept them out. So while we may not be a Top 15ish team type team, I think we have the much better resume.

I think there is more doubt on Capel from the national media than there is on our own players, but maybe that's just my line of thinking.

This Pitt team won 12 of its last 16 ACC games last year. 7 of those wins were by at least 10+ points. So its not like Pitt was barely beating teams like the Burton / Cummings team the year prior, we were soundly beating teams and blowing out ACC teams at the end of last year. That is not a result of 2 players being good, Thats a result of having a really good team at seasons end.

I think there is more doubt on Capel from the national media than there is on our own players, but maybe that's just my line of thinking.

This Pitt team won 12 of its last 16 ACC games last year. 7 of those wins were by at least 10+ points. So its not like Pitt was barely beating teams like the Burton / Cummings team the year prior, we were soundly beating teams and blowing out ACC teams at the end of last year. That is not a result of 2 players being good, Thats a result of having a really good team at seasons end.

Last year's team was better than 22-23. Next year's team may not have as much talent as 23-24 but will have the best resume. Still would like one more good opponent though.

Yeah, I think it's very possible that this year's team could make the tournament - perhaps even comfortably - but last year's March team could beat this year's March team.

Of course, that's just one of many possibilities. I wouldn't sign off on anything as of now. Who could possibly predict this stuff with any sort of confidence when starting lineups are turning over by 20... 40... 60... 80% each season?

I think we're deeper this season (which is kind of a weird statement after we've had the ACC 6th man of the year the last two), but the high-end, need-a-basket talent... well, hopefully we have enough of it.

Yeah, I think it's very possible that this year's team could make the tournament - perhaps even comfortably - but last year's March team could beat this year's March team.

Of course, that's just one of many possibilities. I wouldn't sign off on anything as of now. Who could possibly predict this stuff with any sort of confidence when starting lineups are turning over by 20... 40... 60... 80% each season?

I think we're deeper this season (which is kind of a weird statement after we've had the ACC 6th man of the year the last two), but the high-end, need-a-basket talent... well, hopefully we have enough of it.

Below is a link of the comings and goings of every player on every ACC team from this offseason.

I have not done a deep dive on this yet to really look at the efficiency metrics and defensive metrics going into next year for all these teams. But there is one thing I am certain on, that Virginia has Mount Everest to climb if they are going to finish and be better than Pitt next year and be a top 5ish ACC team. Im not buying it and I fully understand how good of a coach they have. That roster is not talented and unlike most years, it is young counting on underclassmen like TJ Power who did nothing at Duke last year to carry them. And that team routinely got its doors blown off last year when Reece Beekman wasn't playing like a 1st team all acc player. And he is gone.

Taking a look at some stats now.

One area that this Pitt team should dominate is ball control. Pitt finished 8th in the country last year in turnovers per game, and that is likely I think to improve this year. Cam Corhen rarely turns the ball over with respect to usage rate, Jaland Lowe's turnover issues ended early on in the first 10 games of the season last year as an injured freshmen. Brandin Cummings rarely turns the ball over. The biggest turnover culprit was Fede, and he had the lowest usage rate on the entire team. Jorge had turnover issues and I am projecting he barely plays this year. Damian Dunn had some turnover issues in the past and I currently think he is closer to the 6th or 7th man or so off the bench than a starter, which was his role at Houston, while having a low usage rate which should help him. Delalic averaged 2 turnovers per game in the Euro league, and his usage rate is probably getting cut in half which is why his turnovers should come down along with it. We are not even sure if Delalic even starts as it could be Austin.

This team should have one of the best assist to turnover ratios in the entire country and I say that with high confidence. Do that and dominate ball control, and get back to trying to dominate on the glass, and good things will happen.

Last edited:
Taking a look at some stats now.

One area that this Pitt team should dominate is ball control. Pitt finished 8th in the country last year in turnovers per game, and that is likely I think to improve this year. Cam Corhen rarely turns the ball over with respect to usage rate, Jaland Lowe's turnover issues ended early on in the first 10 games of the season last year as an injured freshmen. Brandin Cummings rarely turns the ball over. The biggest turnover culprit was Fede, and he had the lowest usage rate on the entire team. Jorge had turnover issues and I am projecting he barely plays this year. Damian Dunn had some turnover issues in the past and I currently think he is closer to the 6th or 7th man or so off the bench than a starter, which was his role at Houston, while having a low usage rate which should help him. Delalic averaged 2 turnovers per game in the Euro league, and his usage rate is probably getting cut in half which is why his turnovers should come down along with it. We are not even sure if Delalic even starts as it could be Austin.

This team should have one of the best assist to turnover ratios in the entire country and I say that with high confidence. Do that and dominate ball control, and get back to trying to dominate on the glass, and good things will happen.

Rebound margin

Pitt finished +3 in rebound margin last year, 64th best in the country. That simply is not good enough and it was because of painfully weak rebounding from our frontcourt.

Pitt loses Bub Carrington and 5.2 rebounds per game, one of the best in the entire country for a guard. Pitt replaces Carrington with Leggett at 5.5 rebounds per game, on paper, a slight increase and will be one of the best in the country for a guard. Although making up the loss of Leggett's rebounding coming off the bench is going to be very difficult. Delalic can rebound, Cummings and Dunn are ok at best and doubtful that they are anywhere close to Ish on the glass.

Pitt loses Fede and Hinson, 2 of the worst rebounding big combinations in all of D1. Neither one of them could rebound, and Hinson cost us the ACC semifinals and an NCAA tournament birth because of it. Can Guillermo and Corhen be much better? On paper the answer is not really. But there is one caveat. Corhen guarded a lot of players last year, from centers all the way down to 2 guards last year. He was pulled away from the basket a lot because of his size and versatility. Getting pulled away from the basket will limit rebound ability. How much is the question. Corhen will easily be better than Fede rebounding the ball. But can he snag 7-8+ rebounds per game playing primarily in the paint? Maybe, if Im honest about it. Obviously, the more Corhen grabs, the much better we are going to be.

The wildcard

Papa Kante. Ive talked about him extensively, Ive talked about how he plays the game harder than anyone else on the floor and takes pride in defense and rebounding like the old school defensive shut down Pitt teams of the past like in 2004. Im not going to project how good he is going to be coming off a major injury but will say this. We need him. We absolutely need him for this team to get to the next level because of his defense and rebounding and his elite level play on the hedge. He's long, he's big, and he plays with a tenacity 99% most players do not play with. We need him. And a healthy Kante elevates everything.

Reactions: Brock_45
In ACC Conference play only stats,

Jaland Lowe had a higher shooting percentage, 3 point shooting percentage by a wide margin, a better ORTG power rating, better assist to turnover ratio, better free throw percentage, and less turnovers per game than Bub Carrington in ACC Conference play. In fact, Bub only scored 1.5 points more per game than Lowe in ACC Conference play and he played 2 more minutes per game. Let's not override or dismiss the fact that Lowe turned it on and flipped the switch big time which was the main reason our entire season turned around. He was the main catalyst at point guard leading the charge. And I wouldn't be surprised if he is a future All American. And I can certainly argue he was better than Bub in ACC Conference play last year.

And as far as impact players. Cam Corhen averaged 9.8 points per game in ACC Conference play as a sophomore with an ORTG offensive power rating of 128 with a 68% shooting percentage (Troutman level), which is better than anyone in the entire Jeff Capel era, and he did that as a 19 year old sophomore. Why this guy is constantly getting slept on is beyond me. There was so much hype around Fede the last few years because of his defense which used to make me dizzy because I was one of the few that never bought into the Fede noise, and Corhen destroyed Fede, twice, coming off the bench, as an 18 year old and 19 year old underclassmen. And now he is a seasoned junior with the one of the best returning offensive power ratings in the entire ACC. He was second last year in win shares at seasons end on Florida State's team.

Here's a fun little poll idea. Which duo would you take, Hinson and Bub last year, or Lowe and Corhen this year? Because I think the latter is going to be really, really good this year.
I would take Bub and Hinson slightly, but then when we also add Beebah, Dunn and Amsal and only lose Fede and Will, then I call it an overall win.

Below is a link of the comings and goings of every player on every ACC team from this offseason.

I have not done a deep dive on this yet to really look at the efficiency metrics and defensive metrics going into next year for all these teams. But there is one thing I am certain on, that Virginia has Mount Everest to climb if they are going to finish and be better than Pitt next year and be a top 5ish ACC team. Im not buying it and I fully understand how good of a coach they have. That roster is not talented and unlike most years, it is young counting on underclassmen like TJ Power who did nothing at Duke last year to carry them. And that team routinely got its doors blown off last year when Reece Beekman wasn't playing like a 1st team all acc player. And he is gone.

I agree about UVA.

Some of that would seem like paralysis by analysis when considering changes in team chemistry, roles, sometimes positions, level of competition, etc.

The difference being, of course, that last year we had both Lowe and Carrington. If you want to argue that Lowe is going to be essentially the Carrington replacement then we need a Lowe replacement. And if you want to argue that Lowe was better than Carrington, well, then we still need a replacement for a lottery pick.

I agree that Corhen should be a large upgrade at center. And I hope that Lowe and someone will be an upgrade over Lowe and Carrington. But come on, it should be easy to understand why people would think that isn't going to happen.

The difference being, of course, that last year we had both Lowe and Carrington. If you want to argue that Lowe is going to be essentially the Carrington replacement then we need a Lowe replacement. And if you want to argue that Lowe was better than Carrington, well, then we still need a replacement for a lottery pick.

I agree that Corhen should be a large upgrade at center. And I hope that Lowe and someone will be an upgrade over Lowe and Carrington. But come on, it should be easy to understand why people would think that isn't going to happen.

What I am saying is, Lowe was a star last year, arguably better than Carrington on offense, Carrington was the stud on defense and rebounding, Lowe is going to be a beast this year.

And Ish Leggett stats and Carrington stats are close, that is the next thing I am saying. Look at the numbers across the board.

Carrington vs Leggett

Leggett

12.3 ppg
5.5 rpg
1.9 apg
43% FG%
34% 3 pt %
86% FT

Carrington

13.8 ppg
5.2 rpg
4.1 apg
41% FG
32% 3 point
78% FG

Carrington has already been replaced, rather easily, and its not because of Lowe who is going to be a superstar.

And yes, I think our team is criminally underrated and going to be good. I think we make the NCAA tournament easily. Its about how high seed we get.

Rebound margin

Pitt finished +3 in rebound margin last year, 64th best in the country. That simply is not good enough and it was because of painfully weak rebounding from our frontcourt.

Pitt loses Bub Carrington and 5.2 rebounds per game, one of the best in the entire country for a guard. Pitt replaces Carrington with Leggett at 5.5 rebounds per game, on paper, a slight increase and will be one of the best in the country for a guard. Although making up the loss of Leggett's rebounding coming off the bench is going to be very difficult. Delalic can rebound, Cummings and Dunn are ok at best and doubtful that they are anywhere close to Ish on the glass.

Pitt loses Fede and Hinson, 2 of the worst rebounding big combinations in all of D1. Neither one of them could rebound, and Hinson cost us the ACC semifinals and an NCAA tournament birth because of it. Can Guillermo and Corhen be much better? On paper the answer is not really. But there is one caveat. Corhen guarded a lot of players last year, from centers all the way down to 2 guards last year. He was pulled away from the basket a lot because of his size and versatility. Getting pulled away from the basket will limit rebound ability. How much is the question. Corhen will easily be better than Fede rebounding the ball. But can he snag 7-8+ rebounds per game playing primarily in the paint? Maybe, if Im honest about it. Obviously, the more Corhen grabs, the much better we are going to be.

The wildcard

Papa Kante. Ive talked about him extensively, Ive talked about how he plays the game harder than anyone else on the floor and takes pride in defense and rebounding like the old school defensive shut down Pitt teams of the past like in 2004. Im not going to project how good he is going to be coming off a major injury but will say this. We need him. We absolutely need him for this team to get to the next level because of his defense and rebounding and his elite level play on the hedge. He's long, he's big, and he plays with a tenacity 99% most players do not play with. We need him. And a healthy Kante elevates everything.
Kante hasn’t played a lick of college ball and still isn’t healthy enough to be a full practice participant. Expecting anything from him is… a choice.

What I am saying is, Lowe was a star last year, arguably better than Carrington on offense, Carrington was the stud on defense and rebounding, Lowe is going to be a beast this year.

And Ish Leggett stats and Carrington stats are close, that is the next thing I am saying. Look at the numbers across the board.

Carrington vs Leggett

Leggett

12.3 ppg
5.5 rpg
1.9 apg
43% FG%
34% 3 pt %
86% FT

Carrington

13.8 ppg
5.2 rpg
4.1 apg
41% FG
32% 3 point
78% FG

Carrington has already been replaced, rather easily, and its not because of Lowe who is going to be a superstar.

And yes, I think our team is criminally underrated and going to be good. I think we make the NCAA tournament easily. Its about how high seed we get.
I'm with you, Vader. I get why some posters aren't seeing the 8th place ranking as disrespectful. I think I made my comments because I am also bullish on our team. I think we will be better than that. This is the most complete roster we have had under Capel. We are a deep and well-balanced team. Corhen's presence alone should do a lot for us. I think Jaland is going to be a star and I believe Delalic and Cummings are going to be huge factors for us.

Kante hasn’t played a lick of college ball and still isn’t healthy enough to be a full practice participant. Expecting anything from him is… a choice.

I always forget he's on the team. We are so deep that I dont even pencil him in with any minutes

Carrington vs Leggett

Leggett

12.3 ppg
5.5 rpg
1.9 apg
43% FG%
34% 3 pt %
86% FT

Carrington

13.8 ppg
5.2 rpg
4.1 apg
41% FG
32% 3 point
78% FG

OK, so we replace Carrington with Leggett. Then who replaces Leggett?

And the notion that we have easily replaced an NBA lottery pick is silly. The hope is that we perform better as a team, because we sure shouldn't be counting on any of the new guy to be NBA lottery ready in one year.

And again, it's not that I think that we'll finish 8th. It's that it's easy to understand why someone who is not a Pitt mark could think that we won't be as good as we were last year.

OK, so we replace Carrington with Leggett. Then who replaces Leggett?

And the notion that we have easily replaced an NBA lottery pick is silly. The hope is that we perform better as a team, because we sure shouldn't be counting on any of the new guy to be NBA lottery ready in one year.

And again, it's not that I think that we'll finish 8th. It's that it's easy to understand why someone who is not a Pitt mark could think that we won't be as good as we were last year.

With all due respect...

Would you or anyone else like to personally bet me 1 on 1 that this team finishes better than 8th place next year with Jaland Lowe at Point Guard and Cam Corhen at Center? By all means, say it right here....

I dont need to see what Cummings, Delalic, Kante, or anyone else does. I know what I have at point guard and I know what I have at center. And I know this team with Lowe and with Corhen is better than 8th place. So lets make it a little personal here with a little fun...

With all due respect...

Would you or anyone else like to personally bet me 1 on 1 that this team finishes better than 8th place next year with Jaland Lowe at Point Guard and Cam Corhen at Center? By all means, say it right here....

With all due respect...

I have said in multiple posts that it's not that I think that we are going to finish 8th, it's that it's easy to see how someone who is not a Pitt mark could think that. All you keep doing is showing that you are a Pitt mark.

But it's OK, we all already know that.

With all due respect...

I have said in multiple posts that it's not that I think that we are going to finish 8th, it's that it's easy to see how someone who is not a Pitt mark could think that. All you keep doing is showing that you are a Pitt mark.

But it's OK, we all already know that.

The offer is on the table for you, Rothstein, or anyone else....

The offer is on the table for you, Rothstein, or anyone else....

You should contact him with your offer, I'm sure he'll take you up on it.

While you wait, you could try reading what people actually post, instead of just assuming that you know without actually reading them.

You should contact him with your offer, I'm sure he'll take you up on it.

While you wait, you could try reading what people actually post, instead of just assuming that you know without actually reading them.

No need to. This is the year I think we are are actually back. I have not been this confident since Wanamaker and Pitt in 2011. And unlike past years, I think this team comes out swinging on day 1. Overconfident, perhaps...especially with Kante as Im hopeful with him... But I like what we have and I think we are ready, right now, in August....

No need to. This is the year I think we are are actually back. I have not been this confident since Wanamaker and Pitt in 2011. And unlike past years, I think this team comes out swinging on day 1. Overconfident, perhaps...especially with Kante as Im hopeful with him... But I like what we have and I think we are ready, right now, in August....

15 years since an All American point guard. 15 years....

Its time...

Reactions: GomerTV
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT