ADVERTISEMENT

Seth Davis on Capel & Pitt

TheLogicalTake

Redshirt
Aug 7, 2018

Good item in Seth Davis’ mailbag this week about Capel/Pitt. He pretty much captures the current state of the program and what it’s going to take to get on track, but also adds that he believes Capel is the favorite to land at Duke so it could be a race to see what happens first.

I think we’re more likely to get back to a tournament before Coach K hands over the reigns to the next in line, but it certainly is an interesting question

Reactions: CaPAPITT76

Good item in Seth Davis’ mailbag this week about Capel/Pitt. He pretty much captures the current state of the program and what it’s going to take to get on track, but also adds that he believes Capel is the favorite to land at Duke so it could be a race to see what happens first.

I think we’re more likely to get back to a tournament before Coach K hands over the reigns to the next in line, but it certainly is an interesting question
If Capel builds Pitt from the garbage heap to a top 10 program he may just want to stay since he would consider Pitt his program instead of taking over a program that will always be considered Coach K's program.

Reactions: JRPITT and persp
12th Big East team? Oh, I love me some expansion. I don't think the Big East ever goes to 12. 11 + full round-robin 20 game schedule is what they want.

VCU isn't a big enough name to warrant them taking another public. The only team I can see is UMass but only if they get really good and sustain that for a good while.

Yeah. No.
[/QUOTE
Nooo of course not. No man wants to build and have his only legacy he would rather bathe in the success of someone else.
I'm so happy the posters here have so much insight and knowledge of Capel and human Nature.
And on another note a black man would rather live in the shadow of a white man instead of standing on his own two feet.
Yeah you guys got it right.

Or Jamie eventually left for His Alma Mater; the worst job in the league. Possibly the most absurd post this board has seen.
Yeah I loved that BS narrative as well. I’m not sure who was worse for Pitt - Lerch Barnes or the Sleepy Smurf he hired through his crony Todd Turner? Either way u look at it what a joke.

Yeah. It’s just crazy to think Capel would want to be HC at the place he played and coached. One of the top two jobs in the country that can outpay anyone. No he’s going to want to stay at Pitt. Sure.

What crystal ball are you looking in?? 2020-2021 will only be his 3rd year on the bench at Pitt and Pitt was 16-17 last year -- I think they will be over .500 this year and push for .500 in the ACC in 2021-2.

Please retake 4th grade reading comprehension. ".500 in the league"

I too I'm curious what crystal ball you are looking at that's projecting Jeff Caple's ACC record two years out from now?

If he continues on the path he’s been taking recruiting at Pitt and shows some game day savvy Pitt will be rapidly
improving . Put him in a situation where he can recruit elite players aka Duke he will become an elite coach . If Duke comes calling he’s gone !

I don't think Capel is going to win at Pitt. Year 3 and he's #13 preseason ACC.

What’s your definition of “winning”? Can he get Pitt into the middle tier of the ACC and consistently in the tournament? I think he can eventually. If you view “winning” through the same lens as we did a decade ago, well, I think you’re going to be disappointed.

Capel made a big bet on this freshman class. Unless there are defections, he’s looking at a small 2021 class and they’ve already lost their headliner for 22. If this group can elevate them to an NIT level this year and the tournament next year, then I think he’s done reasonably well. If we’re still having the same conversations next summer/fall, then it’s time to examine the direction of the program.

If Capel builds Pitt from the garbage heap to a top 10 program he may just want to stay since he would consider Pitt his program instead of taking over a program that will always be considered Coach K's program.
Maybe Duke will end up like Indiana after Knight or UCLA after Wooden after Coach K, good but never the same.

What’s your definition of “winning”? Can he get Pitt into the middle tier of the ACC and consistently in the tournament? I think he can eventually. If you view “winning” through the same lens as we did a decade ago, well, I think you’re going to be disappointed.

Capel made a big bet on this freshman class. Unless there are defections, he’s looking at a small 2021 class and they’ve already lost their headliner for 22. If this group can elevate them to an NIT level this year and the tournament next year, then I think he’s done reasonably well. If we’re still having the same conversations next summer/fall, then it’s time to examine the direction of the program.

He isn't going to win enough to keep a job. He won't be at Pitt for year 6, imo.

He isn't going to win enough to keep a job. He won't be at Pitt for year 6, imo.
Then Heather Lyke will Or should be fired. That means football and basketball will be an absolute disaster. Nothing else matters.

I totally disagree with you. He will get a 6th year no matter what. But if by year 6 there is no tourney/notable progress and they make a move, her job should absolutely be in jeopardy.

Reactions: Ski11585
It’s quite possible. But if they call Capel, he will walk to duke if he has to. Let’s not be this naive, people.

It's funny this topic comes up because the dyed in the wool sheep fans think like this everywhere. I remember living just outside of Knoxville when Buzz Peterson coached there. The debate was if he would take the UNC job if it opened up.

😂😂😂 Like, of course he would, but zero chance they would ever offer.

Then Heather Lyke will Or should be fired. That means football and basketball will be an absolute disaster. Nothing else matters.

Football is close. They are at least in most every game with a chance to win, even with no run game.

I'm not sure about basketball. Not only has Capel's recruiting been disappointing, his team's seem to have chemistry problems that are allowed to drag on through the entire year without being addressed. That's speculation on my part, but it certainly seems that way to me.

Reactions: Amigo3
Football is close. They are at least in most every game with a chance to win, even with no run game.

I'm not sure about basketball. Not only has Capel's recruiting been disappointing, his team's seem to have chemistry problems that are allowed to drag on through the entire year without being addressed. That's speculation on my part, but it certainly seems that way to me.

Football is not close.

Football being close may be the funniest thing I’ve read in weeks. They’re closer to being D2 than being at the top of the ACC

Thats total hyperbole.

Who said anything about being at the top of the ACC? They could easily be 5-1. With Twyman, they probably are, despite the lack of a running game.

Clemson, FSU, and Miami are the only programs in the ACC with a chance to be elite, imo.

Reactions: Nibblio
Thats total hyperbole.

Who said anything about being at the top of the ACC? They could easily be 5-1. With Twyman, they probably are, despite the lack of a running game.

Clemson, FSU, and Miami are the only programs in the ACC with a chance to be elite, imo.
Of course it’s hyperbole. And they could also be 1-5. Narduzzi sucks. He’s a gym teacher who trolls 17 yeAr old kids like a little bitch when they smartly choose another school. Coaches football like it’s 1970. Everything about him is JV.

I have absolutely zero respect for him as a coach and the only chance he has is to get out of his own way and get luckyin hiring his 5th offensive coordinator in 7 years.

Of course it’s hyperbole. And they could also be 1-5. Narduzzi sucks. He’s a gym teacher who trolls 17 yeAr old kids like a little bitch when they smartly choose another school. Coaches football like it’s 1970. Everything about him is JV.

I have absolutely zero respect for him as a coach and the only chance he has is to get out of his own way and get luckyin hiring his 5th offensive coordinator in 7 years.

His record speaks for itself. Outside of the Majors/Sherrill renegade blip, Pitt is what it is. Middle of the pack ACC is successful at Pitt.

Reactions: Fsgolfdr
I guess it depends on whether you are a glass half full or half empty type. 17 points away from being 6-0.

I see a team that is a quality offensive line away from being pretty good.

Let's hear your take.

I think Pitt football is overwhelming mediocre. They will never, ever, ever compete regularly for the top 25. They can in basketball. Financial investment should reflect that.

ETA: You have made it well known you dislike Capel. You would never make excuses for him like you are Duzz and like you did for Wanny.

Reactions: Straight Eye Larry
I guess it depends on whether you are a glass half full or half empty type. 17 points away from being 6-0.

I see a team that is a quality offensive line away from being pretty good.

Let's hear your take.
My aunt is balls away from being my uncle. The 2 1 point losses are squarely on Narduzzi. He costs 2 games every, single, year. Those teams had NO BUSINESS beating Pitt. 3-3 when two of your wins are Syracuse and Austin Peay is borderline pathetic. Senior QB. Diddy Bop. Unreal DL. Electric freshmen WR. And nothing but excuses from this loser. “I don’t call the offensive plays.” Get entirely the f*ck out of here you JV middle school gym teacher. He’s an embarrassment to the university of Pittsburgh. I mean, congrats to him on inheriting an NFL offensive line, NFL QB and James Conner. If not for his putrid defensive schemes maybe he could’ve won more with those players. It’s funny how Avonte Maddox went to the NFL and instantly got better. This guy is the definition of the Peter Principle. Not to mention we still have ND VT and Clemson. All L’s. Shit he’ll probably blow one of the others as well. I have a nephew who just went D1 football and an 8th grade nephew who will be P5 most likely if he tracks the same as the other 1. He will absolutely not go to Pitt if Pat Narduzzi is still here.

At least Capel has potential.

My aunt is balls away from being my uncle. The 2 1 point losses are squarely on Narduzzi. He costs 2 games every, single, year. Those teams had NO BUSINESS beating Pitt. 3-3 when two of your wins are Syracuse and Austin Peay is borderline pathetic. Senior QB. Diddy Bop. Unreal DL. Electric freshmen WR. And nothing but excuses from this loser. “I don’t call the offensive plays.” Get entirely the f*ck out of here you JV middle school gym teacher. He’s an embarrassment to the university of Pittsburgh. I mean, congrats to him on inheriting an NFL offensive line, NFL QB and James Conner. If not for his putrid defensive schemes maybe he could’ve won more with those players. It’s funny how Avonte Maddox went to the NFL and instantly got better. This guy is the definition of the Peter Principle. Not to mention we still have ND VT and Clemson. All L’s. Shit he’ll probably blow one of the others as well. I have a nephew who just went D1 football and an 8th grade nephew who will be P5 most likely if he tracks the same as the other 1. He will absolutely not go to Pitt if Pat Narduzzi is still here.

I don’t disagree with you. Out of curiosity - Have you interacted with PN?

I think Pitt football is overwhelming mediocre. They will never, ever, ever compete regularly for the top 25. They can in basketball. Financial investment should reflect that.

ETA: You have made it well known you dislike Capel. You would never make excuses for him like you are Duzz and like you did for Wanny.

I LOVE Jeff Capel. Love hearing him speak, think he could make Pitt an annual Top 25 team, hope he’s here for the next 20 years.

And I’m really frustrated with Narduzzi right now.

But as it stands, the football program is in a much better spot than the basketball program AT THE MOMENT.

Reactions: ThePanthers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT