ADVERTISEMENT

Seth Davis on Capel & Pitt

My aunt is balls away from being my uncle. The 2 1 point losses are squarely on Narduzzi. He costs 2 games every, single, year. Those teams had NO BUSINESS beating Pitt. 3-3 when two of your wins are Syracuse and Austin Peay is borderline pathetic. Senior QB. Diddy Bop. Unreal DL. Electric freshmen WR. And nothing but excuses from this loser. “I don’t call the offensive plays.” Get entirely the f*ck out of here you JV middle school gym teacher. He’s an embarrassment to the university of Pittsburgh. I mean, congrats to him on inheriting an NFL offensive line, NFL QB and James Conner. If not for his putrid defensive schemes maybe he could’ve won more with those players. It’s funny how Avonte Maddox went to the NFL and instantly got better. This guy is the definition of the Peter Principle. Not to mention we still have ND VT and Clemson. All L’s. Shit he’ll probably blow one of the others as well. I have a nephew who just went D1 football and an 8th grade nephew who will be P5 most likely if he tracks the same as the other 1. He will absolutely not go to Pitt if Pat Narduzzi is still here.

At least Capel has potential.

Wow. Narduzzi really inherited a lot of offensive talent. It's hard to comprehend how a team that stacked offensively could go 6-7 and put up 10 points on Akron the year before

Wow. Narduzzi really inherited a lot of offensive talent. It's hard to comprehend how a team that stacked offensively could go 6-7 and put up 10 points on Akron
Narduzzi inherited the best offensive talent that he has ever coached. Conner, Henderson, Ollison, Hall, Weah, Boyd...come on, man.

My aunt is balls away from being my uncle. The 2 1 point losses are squarely on Narduzzi. He costs 2 games every, single, year. Those teams had NO BUSINESS beating Pitt. 3-3 when two of your wins are Syracuse and Austin Peay is borderline pathetic. Senior QB. Diddy Bop. Unreal DL. Electric freshmen WR. And nothing but excuses from this loser. “I don’t call the offensive plays.” Get entirely the f*ck out of here you JV middle school gym teacher. He’s an embarrassment to the university of Pittsburgh. I mean, congrats to him on inheriting an NFL offensive line, NFL QB and James Conner. If not for his putrid defensive schemes maybe he could’ve won more with those players. It’s funny how Avonte Maddox went to the NFL and instantly got better. This guy is the definition of the Peter Principle. Not to mention we still have ND VT and Clemson. All L’s. Shit he’ll probably blow one of the others as well. I have a nephew who just went D1 football and an 8th grade nephew who will be P5 most likely if he tracks the same as the other 1. He will absolutely not go to Pitt if Pat Narduzzi is still here.

Potential for what? Stay off probation?

😂😂😂 This is comical. Pitt was 25-27 overall in the 4 years before he arrived. Narduzzi is 39-32. What has he turned it into?
A senior quarterback, experienced defense and supposedly young good playmakers into a 4-7 season? I mean you’re really celebrating 39-32 when his best 2 seasons were with Chryst’s players? If not for his moronic defensive scheme, he probably could’ve earned more leeway those first 2 years and won 10 games. But he Absolutely sucks as a coach.
Remember in his first season he bragged about making defensive adjustments at halftime? I think it was like effing Duke. And he said they’d never be out coached. Has he out coached one team since?

Has anyone seen if he’s subtweeted Khalil Dinkins yet? I can’t keep up with his middle school bullshit

I LOVE Jeff Capel. Love hearing him speak, think he could make Pitt an annual Top 25 team, hope he’s here for the next 20 years.

And I’m really frustrated with Narduzzi right now.

But as it stands, the football program is in a much better spot than the basketball program AT THE MOMENT.

I don’t disagree. However, I think the ceiling on the hoops program is significantly higher than football.

Reactions: BPKY
I also remember Duke hanging half a hundred on Pitt in 2014.

And let's not forget GA Tech putting up 56 on Pitt and Eve 6 for homecoming. I think half of that came in the first 5 minutes of the game.

Double Pitt's score versus Akron in 2014 and we only lose by 1 point to Buster Brown's Fighting Zips.

I also remember Duke hanging half a hundred on Pitt in 2014.

And let's not forget GA Tech putting up 56 on Pitt and Eve 6 for homecoming. I think half of that came in the first 5 minutes of the game.

Double Pitt's score versus Akron in 2014 and we only lose by 1 point to Buster Brown's Fighting Zips.
Lol Paul chryst took over after the Haywood/Graham disaster. Hardly the same as being left an NFL offense and then deciding to implement your terrible defensive scheme with no talent.

I love how your defense of Narduzzi is “Hey! He’s slightly better than boring Paul Chryst was.” Good god. If that’s your aspiration for Pitt football you should find another program to root for. 4-7 with a senior QB and multiple defensive draft picks here we come!!!

I don’t disagree. However, I think the ceiling on the hoops program is significantly higher than football.

As much as I care about Pitt basketball, this will always a be a football school. I don’t think either program was done any competitive favors by moving to the ACC, but, assuming they continue to turn 3 star defenders into NFL draft picks, they’re a coach and a QB away from being a strong 2nd tier program in the conference. The pieces needed to elevate Pitt football are much more conceivable than those that are needed to elevate the basketball program.

As much as I care about Pitt basketball, this will always a be a football school. I don’t think either program was done any competitive favors by moving to the ACC, but, assuming they continue to turn 3 star defenders into NFL draft picks, they’re a coach and a QB away from being a strong 2nd tier program in the conference. The pieces needed to elevate Pitt football are much more conceivable than those that are needed to elevate the basketball program.

In terms of fan preference? You’re right. I guess what I’m saying is that as a 35 year old, I’ve seen Pitt hoops get two #1 seeds and be ranked #1 in the nation. I’ve never seen that level of success from football.

If I had to make some insane wager for my life, I think it’s more likely I see that repeated in hoops than to see a repeat of the late 70s and early 80s in football.

The demographics and finances are easier to overcome in hoops. You only need to hit on one or two guys or get one or two lucky breaks.

Wow. Narduzzi really inherited a lot of offensive talent. It's hard to comprehend how a team that stacked offensively could go 6-7 and put up 10 points on Akron the year before

Well 6 years in and this team is all his. And the offense stinks. STINKS. Very little talent. If he had any kind of offense we’d probably be 5-1.

With the propensity of giving up the big plays that they do I doubt Twyman is worth 2 wins. Or even 1.

Well 6 years in and this team is all his. And the offense stinks. STINKS. Very little talent. If he had any kind of offense we’d probably be 5-1.

With the propensity of giving up the big plays that they do I doubt Twyman is worth 2 wins. Or even 1.

When two of them were 1 point games. I think probably so. He's pretty special.

When two of them were 1 point games. I think probably so. He's pretty special.

Don’t disagree with him being special. But the DL is the least of their problems. It’s possible and we’ll never know. But I do know the talent on offense is ridiculously bad. And college ball has become about scoring points. It’s nice to have a good D but unless he steps up recruiting on O - and fairly significantly - we’ll be stuck.

Don’t disagree with him being special. But the DL is the least of their problems. It’s possible and we’ll never know. But I do know the talent on offense is ridiculously bad. And college ball has become about scoring points. It’s nice to have a good D but unless he steps up recruiting on O - and fairly significantly - we’ll be stuck.

Agree. And you're right. We'll never know. I'll say this though... The D looked gassed on the last possession vs NC State. Somehow I think we make a play and close that game out if he plays.

Football is close. They are at least in most every game with a chance to win, even with no run game.

I'm not sure about basketball. Not only has Capel's recruiting been disappointing, his team's seem to have chemistry problems that are allowed to drag on through the entire year without being addressed. That's speculation on my part, but it certainly seems that way to me.
I don't agree with this at all. I am not sure why you are so bearish on Capel. he came into a horrible situation. the talent this year is by far his best, with a lot of young players. We were one of the worst teams in the country before he got here.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
I don't agree with this at all. I am not sure why you are so bearish on Capel. he came into a horrible situation. the talent this year is by far his best, with a lot of young players. We were one of the worst teams in the country before he got here.
It’s wild that anyone could think that Narduzzi entered into a worse situation than Capel. Narduzzi inherited a football program that had a football team in desperate need of stability. Capel inherited a basketball program in need of an actual basketball team.

Then Heather Lyke will Or should be fired. That means football and basketball will be an absolute disaster. Nothing else matters.

I totally disagree with you. He will get a 6th year no matter what. But if by year 6 there is no tourney/notable progress and they make a move, her job should absolutely be in jeopardy.

I'm curious what your logic is here. It is way too early to cut Capel, so why would she be fired over it in a couple years?

I've been critical of his early results but he still gives us a greater chance of winning than almost any other hire we'd make.

I'm curious what your logic is here. It is way too early to cut Capel, so why would she be fired over it in a couple years?

I've been critical of his early results but he still gives us a greater chance of winning than almost any other hire we'd make.
I don’t think you’re understanding my post. I am saying if we get into year 6/7 of Capel and he ends up getting fired, she would’ve done a terrible job with the two most important programs in her tenure. Giving Narduzzi a contract extension after a 5-7 season was obviously a Colossal mistake and if she bought out stallings to eventually fire the person she chose to replace him she would’ve botched both programs. I suppose her tenure more or less hinges on who she will eventually hire to replace Narduzzi after next year since he will be fired.

it’s sad that our athletic department has been so inept my entire lifetime that just doing obvious things (like switching the colors) make it impossible to talk about her job.

I don’t think you’re understanding my post. I am saying if we get into year 6/7 of Capel and he ends up getting fired, she would’ve done a terrible job with the two most important programs in her tenure. Giving Narduzzi a contract extension after a 5-7 season was obviously a Colossal mistake and if she bought out stallings to eventually fire the person she chose to replace him she would’ve botched both programs. I suppose her tenure more or less hinges on who she will eventually hire to replace Narduzzi after next year since he will be fired.

it’s sad that our athletic department has been so inept my entire lifetime that just doing obvious things (like switching the colors) make it impossible to talk about her job.
Basketball had a heck of a run under Howland/Dixon. In 2009 the football and basketball teams were Top 20. But of course that was short lived.

ryan lewis made some nice plays for NYG last night... looked like he didn't know how to play CB for Duzzi.

I understand your post completely. The point is you have to analyze those decisions at the time they were made. Forcing out Stallings was absolutely the right move. There's no way to misconstrue that. Whether you'd prefer Hurley or whoever over Capel, that's your opinion, but landing him after 0-18 was a good hire. Even after a couple mediocre or uninspiring years so far, I still think Capel gives us a better chance of success than a lot of guys we could dream to replace him with.

So, the question is, if you give him all the chances in the world to succeed, and he doesn't, why does that become her fault? The only way you can blame her, similar to your point about Narduzzi, is if he's clearly failing at his job and she is negligently letting it happen.

Basketball had a heck of a run under Howland/Dixon. In 2009 the football and basketball teams were Top 20. But of course that was short lived.
That’s the point. We CAN be good in both. The fact that everyone will continue to make excuses as to why not is not my problem. If we aren’t very good in at least one in her 8th-9th year we’re giving her a pass as AD because she switched colors? I mean I really don’t care about M’s soccer or volleyball.

My post had literally nothing to do with Capel or her choosing of Capel.

He can't coach. Look at OU. Look at what happened at Duke when he stepped in for K.

You hire a guy like Capel to bring in Top 50 type recruits. If he can't do that, he isn't going to be successful.

What have you seen that you like so far?

That’s the point. We CAN be good in both. The fact that everyone will continue to make excuses as to why not is not my problem. If we aren’t very good in at least one in her 8th-9th year we’re giving her a pass as AD because she switched colors? I mean I really don’t care about M’s soccer or volleyball.

My post had literally nothing to do with Capel or her choosing of Capel.

Pitt football can't even sign ONE top 10 class in the 30 years since they deemphasized football. How are they ever going to be really good?

Pitt football can't even sign ONE top 10 class in the 30 years since they deemphasized football. How are they ever going to be really good?
Recruit in the Top 20-30 range, develop your players, run good schemes, and be a good game day coach. Our schedule isn’t all that daunting. A 10 win season every 3-4 years isn’t asking much.

Asking for quite a lot actually, unless you play all stiffs non-conference.
Next years non conference schedule. That should be an automatic 3-1 with a chance at 4-0. Clemson at Home is the only extremely difficult opponent.
  • 09/04 - UMass
  • 09/11 - at Tennessee
  • 09/18 - Western Michigan
  • 09/25 - New Hampshire

Next years non conference schedule. That should be an automatic 3-1 with a chance at 4-0. Clemson at Home is the only extremely difficult opponent.
  • 09/04 - UMass
  • 09/11 - at Tennessee
  • 09/18 - Western Michigan
  • 09/25 - New Hampshire
I mean... cmon... we play in the effing coastal where no one gets their act together. We can’t go 6-2 in league and 4-0 OOC once every 4 years if we hired an actual good coach? It’s funny how @TD_6082 wants Capel to recruit top 50 players with no backyard but doesn’t expect anything from NArduzzi or the football program

I mean... cmon... we play in the effing coastal where no one gets their act together. We can’t go 6-2 in league and 4-0 OOC once every 4 years if we hired an actual good coach? It’s funny how @TD_6082 wants Capel to recruit top 50 players with no backyard but doesn’t expect anything from NArduzzi or the football program

Backyard? That isn't really the way basketball recruiting works. Even teams in basketball hotbeds might only have 2 or 3 players on their roster from their home town.

I just glanced at the Rivals Top 150. It looks like there are 2 Top 30 kids from PA, with one going to Oregon and the other to FSU.

BTW, Try comparing costs of P5 Recruiting budget for football vs basketball.

Backyard? That isn't really the way basketball recruiting works. Even teams in basketball hotbeds might only have 2 or 3 players on their roster from their home town.

I just glanced at the Rivals Top 150. It looks like there are 2 Top 30 kids from PA, with one going to Oregon and the other to FSU.

BTW, Try comparing costs of P5 Recruiting budget for football vs basketball.
So basically, every excuse in the book for Narluzzi but you think Capel will never win at Pitt. Gotcha.

So basically, every excuse in the book for Narluzzi but you think Capel will never win at Pitt. Gotcha.

I'm not making excuses for Narduzzi. I'm just saying that the football program isn't that far away, and this should be viewed as a throw away season anyway. Did anybody really believe there would even be a season back in mid-July? Pitt Athletics is strapped for cash as it is. This isn't business as usual like a lot of you seem to think.

As for Capel, It depends on your expectations and how you define winning. I think Capel can win on a similar level as Mark Gottfried. Does that cut it for you?

I'm not making excuses for Narduzzi. I'm just saying that the football program isn't that far away, and this should be viewed as a throw away season anyway. Did anybody really believe there would even be a season back in mid-July? Pitt Athletics is strapped for cash as it is. This isn't business as usual like a lot of you seem to think.

As for Capel, It depends on your expectations and how you define winning. I think Capel can win on a similar level as Mark Gottfried. Does that cut it for you?

So you think Duzz will consistently have Pitt in the top 25?

Ah yes, a throwaway season with multiple NFL draft picks, a senior QB who’s played since he was a freshmen in our head coach’s sixth season.

you using a pandemic to cover up our coach losing two games he had to win out of the first 6 is the definition of an excuse. “Just happy to have a season” doesn’t cut it for me.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
So you think Duzz will consistently have Pitt in the top 25?
For exactly one week, all the while having his arrogant staff and players tweeting about being ranked too low followed up by losing to shitty teams. If Narduzzi just never spoke publicly, he may be ok.

Ah yes, a throwaway season with multiple NFL draft picks, a senior QB who’s played since he was a freshmen in our head coach’s sixth season.

you using a pandemic to cover up our coach losing two games he had to win out of the first 6 is the definition of an excuse. “Just happy to have a season” doesn’t cut it for me.

Fine. That's you. Imo, your priorities are a little out of whack. You think these teams are being coached the way they would be in a normal year? Are you under the belief that having multiple NFL draft picks is special?

He can't coach. Look at OU. Look at what happened at Duke when he stepped in for K.

You hire a guy like Capel to bring in Top 50 type recruits. If he can't do that, he isn't going to be successful.

What have you seen that you like so far?
I like the talent he has brought in for this class. we have been grossly undermanned since he got here. the next 2 years will be a big test. I also like him personally. think he is a good ambassador for the school, which will also allow him to attract talent.

No. Of course not.

But you said football is close. Close to what. If you aren’t talking consistent top 25 how is that any different than predicting Capel will perform comparable to Mark Gottfried? Mediocre is mediocre.

Reactions: levance2
Fine. That's you. Imo, your priorities are a little out of whack. You think these teams are being coached the way they would be in a normal year? Are you under the belief that having multiple NFL draft picks is special?
How many draft picks did Boston College and NC State have?

Pitt is being 100 percent coached how they have been under Narduzzi. Poorly.

It’s also the height of hilarity that you’ve tried to use the pandemic twice as an excuse for the team’s play. EVERY OTHER TEAM IS PLAYING UNDER SAME CONDITIONS. The pandemic is not unique to Pitt football. Please don’t mention that bullshit again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT