ADVERTISEMENT

Seth Davis on Capel & Pitt

How many draft picks did Boston College and NC State have?

Pitt is being 100 percent coached how they have been under Narduzzi. Poorly.

It’s also the height of hilarity that you’ve tried to use the pandemic twice as an excuse for the team’s play. EVERY OTHER TEAM IS PLAYING UNDER SAME CONDITIONS. The pandemic is not unique to Pitt football. Please don’t mention that bullshit again.

Lack of practice time tends to hurt teams that run a little more complex offense

Not at all. He hasn't recruited well at OL, TE, or RB. That's a valid criticism.
Lol. And he’s done a terrible job coaching. You admitted it. Hold the tape partner. You showed it yourself saying the offense was too difficult. That’s all coaching.

thanks! You lost when you said the offense was too difficult to teach during a pandemic. 100 percent coaching. Doesn’t know how to adapt. Will be fired very soon. Can’t wait!

I didn't say it was too complicated. How the hell would I know with any degree of certainty that's the case??? That was just a hypothesis. It may very well be mostly talent related.

Whatever the case, the offense isn't performing the way it needs to and he needs to get it fixed.

The firing the coach talk at any point this year is insane

I didn't say it was too complicated. How the hell would I know with any degree of certainty that's the case??? That was just a hypothesis. It may very well be mostly talent related.

Whatever the case, the offense isn't performing the way it needs to and he needs to get it fixed.

The firing the coach talk at any point this year is insane
“Lack of practice time with a little more complex offense”. You’ve used the pandemic twice as an excuse as if it’s unique to Pitt. My prediction is you will not give Capel the same leeway despite having a much younger team.

I know they’re not gonna fire him this year and said that. He will absolutely be fired after 21 or 22 because he’s proven he’s a dolt. He needs to go somewhere he can poorly coach defense and worry about nothing else. Some guys aren’t built for the big seat. Clearly he is one. Hopefully his next school will tell him not to troll 17 year old boys on twitter.

I am now done discussing this with you.

He's lasted longer at Pitt than Capel did at Oklahoma. Think about that.

I’ll ask again. If Pitt football is “close“ but “close” isn’t consistently finishing in the top 25, then how is Duzz any different that the overwhelmingly negative opinion you have of Capel (a ceiling of Mark Gottfried)?

Last edited:
Football is close. They are at least in most every game with a chance to win, even with no run game.

I'm not sure about basketball. Not only has Capel's recruiting been disappointing, his team's seem to have chemistry problems that are allowed to drag on through the entire year without being addressed. That's speculation on my part, but it certainly seems that way to me.
You’re trolling and everyone is taking the bait. I guess I am too. Do you even know what you’re talking about on the basketball side? We finally have a roster in which the coaching staff can run a real practice. The program was as bad as the men’s soccer program was when Stallings left. Jay Vidovich didn’t make the Soccer team an ACC contender overnight. It took a few years. As far as I’m concerned this will be the first year we can start evaluating Capel’s job of rebuilding this program. The first two years don’t count for me.

He's lasted longer at Pitt than Capel did at Oklahoma. Think about that.
1. Oklahoma is an elite basketball program. And Jeff capel was young as a head coach then and some of the stuff went on showed that.
2. I’ve been very critical of capel and his staff in spots and praised him and staff in other spots. You probably won’t find a more objective poster for Pitt basketball, imo.
3. Capel actually did something at Oklahoma. Was one of the 8 best teams in America for a year. If Narduzzi even made us a top 25 team he’d be safe for years in my eyes. But every time we get in the top 25 he boasts or complains about lack of respect and he ends up screwing it up because he can’t keep his team focused on what matters. WINNING. The guy can’t handle success with even a modicum of humility.

Reactions: Ski11585
I’ll ask again. If Pitt football is “close“ but “close” isn’t consistently finishing in the top 25, then how is Duzz any different that the overwhelmingly negative opinion you have of Capel (a ceiling of Mark Gottfried)?

Narduzzi is close to nothing in terms of an upgrade. He’s spot on in maintaining the status quo - winning 5-8 games a year. And for those who’ve seen me post this multiple times - sorry. But next year’s class, despite the homer hype on this board, is more of the same.

I LOVE Jeff Capel. Love hearing him speak, think he could make Pitt an annual Top 25 team, hope he’s here for the next 20 years.

And I’m really frustrated with Narduzzi right now.

But as it stands, the football program is in a much better spot than the basketball program AT THE MOMENT.

"But as it stands, the football program is in a much better spot than the basketball program AT THE MOMENT. "
Don't you really mean the reverse?

I have to believe the hoops program is in much better shape now (with the quality freshman class) than the football program--far closer, IMHO, to being a Nationally ranked team in the next few years than football.

And, even now, the hoops team has a better shot at a winning W-L record this upcoming season than this year's football team does at this point baring achieving several upset wins.

I am pretty confidant we will have an end of season top 25 ranked hoops team in a future season sooner than we will have a top 25 end of season football team.

"But as it stands, the football program is in a much better spot than the basketball program AT THE MOMENT. "

I have to believe the hoops program is in much better shape now (with the quality freshman class) than the football program--far closer, IMHO, to being a Nationally ranked team in the next few years than football.

And, even now, the hoops team has a better shot at a winning W-L record this upcoming season than this year's football team does at this point baring achieving several upset wins.

I am pretty confidant we will have an end of season top 25 ranked hoops team in a future season sooner than we will have a top 25 end of season football team.
How is it a Quality Class? It’s Ranked 10th in the ACC when you go by actual player rankings, that’s not going to cut it..

Jeff Capel has finished in LAST PLACE in conference 3 out of his last 4 coached Seasons, and next to last in the other..

Sorry, Jeff Capel is the definition of a Mediocre BBall Coach..

to be honest, BOTH Coaches are Mediocre at Best. Capel has proved it already, Narduzzi is proving it now..

Last edited:
How is it a Quality Class? It’s Ranked 10th in the ACC when you go by actual player rankings, that’s not going to cut it..

Jeff Capel has finished in LAST PLACE in conference 3 out of his last 4 coached Seasons, and next to last in the other..

Sorry, Jeff Capel is the definition of a Mediocre BBall Coach..
Welcome back!

I’m only agreeing with you because Narduzzi sucks. I don’t see Pitt having a winning record in basketball this year. I think they’ll actually regress. But they certainly have a better shot of being top 25 before football unless Kenny returns for a 5th year.

I’m only agreeing with you because Narduzzi sucks. I don’t see Pitt having a winning record in basketball this year. I think they’ll actually regress. But they certainly have a better shot of being top 25 before football unless Kenny returns for a 5th year.

For the record, why I believe this yerar's hoop team should be better than last year's team.

First--the why nots (in no particular order of importance)--

1. UNC won't be really bad like last year--that was 2 wins we are unlikely to get this year.
2. McGowens is gone. We will probably miss him on defense more than on offense--his jump shooting stats were terrible.
3. Last season was believed by the experts to have been an overall down year for the ACC.
4. Our good freshman recruiting class wasn't ranked as high in the ACC hierarchy as some believe it needed to be for Pitt to make a big jump. No "one and done" recruits.
5. Odukale's broken arm holds him back and Sibande might not become eligible which makes backcourt depth a potential issue.

Second, the whys we should be better (again in no particular order of importance).

1. Freshman class not as far down the list as #10 (per 24/7 sports anyway) at ACC #7 in virtual tie with Louisville at ACC #6.
2. Freshman class filled Pitt's greatest need--its lack of quantity, quality and depth of big men.
3. Ithiel Horton should provide the 3-ball shooting McGowens could not at the off guard.
4. Increased overall athleticism and length should make this team's defense better.
5. A corollary to #2, better defensive rebounding and improved inside scoring should help this team shoot a higher percentage overall--not just from outside the arc (where it was atrocious last season).

One "maybe" to add to the whys--if Sibande gets eligible and Odukale heals quickly and well the backcourt depth problem eases.

All the above being said, IMHO, the whys exceed the why nots with a couple of caveats

(1) The biggest improvement likely won't happen out of the gate--IMHO, it will happen by mid-season or later as the better of the freshmen gain maturity and contribute more.
(2) A winning W-L record likely won't happen in the ACC so Pitt needs to play enough OOC games to get to an slightly over 0.500 overall record and Covid issues will effect that option.

Last edited:
For the record, why I believe this yerar's hoop team should be better than last year's team.

1. UNC won't be really bad like last year--that was 2 wins we are unlikely to get this year.
2. McGowens is gone. We will probably miss him on defense more than on offense--his jump shooting stats were terrible.
3. Last season was believed by the experts to have been an overall down year for the ACC.
4. Our good freshman recruiting class wasn't ranked as high in the ACC hierarchy as some believe it needed to be for Pitt to make a big jump. No "one and done" recruits.
5. Odukale's broken arm holds himback and Sibande might not become eligible which makes backcourt drpth a potential issue.

Second, the whys we should be better (again in no particular order of importance).

1. Freshman class not as far down the list as #10 (per 24/7 sports anyway--#7; virtual tie with Louisville at #6).
2. Freshman class filled Pitt's greatest need--its lack of enough quantity, quailty and depth of big men.
3. Ithiel Horton should provide the 3-ball shooting McGowens could not at the off guard.
4. Increased overall athleticism and length should make this team's defense better.
5. A corollary to #2, better defensive rebounding and a better inside game should help this team shoot a higher percentage overall--not just from outside the arc where it was atrocious last season.

One maybe to add to the whys--if Sibande gets eligible and Odukale heals the rest of the way quickly and well the backcourt depth problem eases.

All the above being said, IMHO, the whys exceed the why nots with a couple of caveats

(1) The biggest improvement likely won't happen out of the gate--IMHO, it will happen in mid-season or later as the better of the freshmen gain maturity and contribute more.
(2) A winning W-L record likely won't happen in the ACC so Pittneeds to play enough OOC games to get to an slightly over 0.500 record and Covid issues will effect this one.

the class is ranked that high because of Quantity, not quality..

5. Odukale's broken arm holds himback and Sibande might not become eligible which makes backcourt drpth a potential issue.

1. Freshman class not as far down the list as #10 (per 24/7 sports anyway--#7; virtual tie with Louisville at #6).
2. Freshman class filled Pitt's greatest need--its lack of enough quantity, quailty and depth of big men.
5. A corollary to #2, better defensive rebounding and a better inside game should help this team shoot a higher percentage overall--not just from outside the arc where it was atrocious last season.

One maybe to add to the whys--if Sibande gets eligible and Odukale heals the rest of the way quickly and well the backcourt depth problem eases.

(1) The biggest improvement likely won't happen out of the gate--IMHO, it will happen in mid-season or later as the better of the freshmen gain maturity and contribute more.
(2) A winning W-L record likely won't happen in the ACC so Pittneeds to play enough OOC games to get to an slightly over 0.500 record and Covid issues will effect this one.
I probably didn’t explain myself well on this one. I think they have a chance to be a better team in almost every measurable stat offensively but not win as many games for the simple reason you said. The ACC sucked last year. Unfortunately Hugley will be the only big ready to play and that won’t be enough to compete with the big boys yet. We still have way too much of a talent deficiency overall to be in the top half of the league. Anywhere from 9-14th in the league is where they will most likely finish imo.

Reactions: TheLogicalTake
Do we even know our schedule yet and will Sibande be eligible? That will go a long way in predicting how the season goes.

I probably didn’t explain myself well on this one. I think they have a chance to be a better team in almost every measurable stat offensively but not win as many games for the simple reason you said. The ACC sucked last year. Unfortunately Hugley will be the only big ready to play and that won’t be enough to compete with the big boys yet. We still have way too much of a talent deficiency overall to be in the top half of the league. Anywhere from 9-14th in the league is where they will most likely finish imo.

Not much I would disagree with here. I am just not as confidant that the ACC will come as far back from last season's level as you may be. Given that, I am not sure that league strength will hold Pitt back as much as you do.

Also, and this is just a wild guess (probably just wishful thinking on my part) but perhaps we will have another surprise like we did with Champagnie last season--a guy who turns out better than his recruiting ranking.

My lead candidate to be a surprise is Noah Collier. He has apparently grown from recruiting sites listed height of 6-7 to a legit 6-8.5 or 6-9 (Pitt roster says 6-8 but official site articles mention him as 6-9). Add to that, he has impressed XJ with his ability to "jump out of the gym" (per XJ's first day of practice interview).

Ultimately time and games played will tell the story on all of our speculation. I just plan to enjoy watching the process begining late November while keeping my overall expectations on degree of success modest.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
The bottom line is that this yrs team will be better than last yrs team and the team next yr will be better than this
yrs team . The program is headed in the right direction and with a little luck that maybe one or two of the newcomers become impactful players Pitt will compete in the ACC .

Reactions: Pittisit4me
The bottom line is that this yrs team will be better than last yrs team and the team next yr will be better than this
yrs team . The program is headed in the right direction and with a little luck that maybe one or two of the newcomers become impactful players Pitt will compete in the ACC .
I mean, maybe. If XJ goes pro after this year whether it’s NBA or to make money in Europe PG will be a total wildcard. I’m not sold on beating out UMass for a 20 year old PG in Femi like everyone else is.

We also still lack any type of difference maker at true center. Hugley is not a difference maker at the 5, maybe if they stretch him out. The other bigs aren’t any better than Terrell Brown. You’re making baseless assumptions that the program continues its trajectory based not in any sort of reality.

In your reality, bringing in mid level ACC classes would’ve kept Narduzzi on his trajectory. We see how that’s played out. You either need elite coaching or elite players. Right now....

I mean, maybe. If XJ goes pro after this year whether it’s NBA or to make money in Europe PG will be a total wildcard. I’m not sold on beating out UMass for a 20 year old PG in Femi like everyone else is.

We also still lack any type of difference maker at true center. Hugley is not a difference maker at the 5, maybe if they stretch him out. The other bigs aren’t any better than Terrell Brown. You’re making baseless assumptions that the program continues its trajectory based not in any sort of reality.

In your reality, bringing in mid level ACC classes would’ve kept Narduzzi on his trajectory. We see how that’s played out. You either need elite coaching or elite players. Right now....
I’ll disagree with you ( a lot ) , but especially with regards to the bigs , the direction of the program and the coach .

I’m sure you weren’t excited about X signing with Pitt either . How could the 250th or so rated recruit who was a Nebraska recruit be impactful ? Or what about a transfer guard from Delaware ! ( I’m jumping the gun here on Horton , but I’m buying in to what’s been reported . See no reason for JC or X to hype someone without cause )

I think in time you comparing JC to PN will look quite silly !

Expecting Pitt to ever out recruit the likes of Duke , UNC , Va and Louisville is delusional. Pitt needs to continue to build its roster and get a mix of upperclassmen and talented newcomers . Just like JD did and that takes time . With on court success Pitt will be able to recruit better .

Guess what in time we’ll see whose right .

I’ll disagree with you ( a lot ) , but especially with regards to the bigs , the direction of the program and the coach .

I’m sure you weren’t excited about X signing with Pitt either . How could the 250th or so rated recruit who was a Nebraska recruit be impactful ? Or what about a transfer guard from Delaware ! ( I’m jumping the gun here on Horton , but I’m buying in to what’s been reported . See no reason for JC or X to hype someone without cause )

Expecting Pitt to ever out recruit the likes of Duke , UNC , Va and Louisville is delusional. Pitt needs to continue to build its roster and get a mix of upperclassmen and talented newcomers . Just like JD did and that takes time . With on court success Pitt will be able to recruit better .

1. Considering he played in the DMV, was committed to Nebraska and UConn wanted to take him but had no scholarships, I’d say comparing x and his rating to Femi choosing us over UMass is quite the stretch. And of course X was the afterthought of that class! Trey was our highest ranked recruit in years!

2. You’re basically calling me wrong based on Horton’s play, which he hasn’t played. Longer 3 point line, longer more athletic league. We’ll see how good he is soon. Probably 8-9 points per game, which would be pretty good.

3.Have you actually seen the bigs play? I wasn’t dumping on Hugley. I like him. I think he could work well as an inside out big but could struggle against longer more athletic bigs. The other bigs are all way too stiff to contribute in the ACC right now. I’ve been Collier’s biggest promoter and fan on this website. Would want to see those two play together.

4. I have absolutely no expectations go out recruit duke unc or Louisville. My responses are based on a non biased look with an outlook towards the entire league, not just Pitt lenses. Could they be better than I am seeing? Sure. But every person here is just assuming no matter what the trajectory of Capel’s program is the wins go up no matter what just because we added players with more upside than we had. Not relative to the league.

Very wishful thinking. Finish somewhere between 9-13 in the league depending on our luck and schedule.

You need to give up the delusions about building programs like Dixon Did.. Kids don’t wait around for playing time.. They leave for other programs.. If Capel can’t Recruit talent to Pitt, then he won’t be here long. He’s a mediocre Coach with a less than adequate staff surrounding him.. Jeff is not good enough to Coach kids up, he needs to bring in Top 8 or better ACC Classes..
2020 Class is rated #10 based on player ranking in ACC, seems to be lost on some Mope who can’t understand simple math..

Last edited:
You need to give up the delusions about building programs like Dixon Did.. Kids don’t wait around for playing time.. They leave for other programs.. If Capel can’t Recruit talent to Pitt, then he won’t be here long. He’s a mediocre Coach with a less than adequate staff surrounding him.. Jeff is not good enough to Coach kids up, he needs to bring in Top 8 or better ACC Classes..

Just brought in what 24/7 rates as the #7 ACC class (and essentially tied with #6 Louisville) and it was a class that addresses the most pressing need of the this roster (more bigs--one or two to contribute soon and one to develop to contribute 2-3 years from now).

Your conclusion that Capel can't coach kids up is one I won't buy or reject either, until I see what he does with this incoming class and last year's class over the next 2-3 years.

2020 Class is rated #10 based on player ranking in ACC, seems to be lost on some Mope who can’t understand simple math..
From where the program was at expecting more at this time without outright buying players is delusional . Do I expect Pitt to return to the glory days of JD , were they‘re one of the best teams in the country yr after yr , no , but that’s the only formula that will allow Pitt to compete against programs where the elite recruits die to go to . Will JC turn Pitt into an elite program, I doubt it. , but I do foresee yrs when they will compete with more talented , but younger less experienced
teams . Assuming that every kid that’s not playing as a freshman picks up and leaves is a faulty assumption. Pitt under JC will become one of the better teams in the ACC , but they’ll never be elite nor will it happen overnight. Like I’ve said time will tell whose right .

If Capel builds Pitt from the garbage heap to a top 10 program he may just want to stay since he would consider Pitt his program instead of taking over a program that will always be considered Coach K's program.
Duh, NO. A Duke alum with the chance of coaching the top program in the country isn't staying at Pitt if offered the Duke Job.

so we could lose a coach who left us for his "dream job." Jamie dixon, ben howland and paul chryst are pleased..

We can all hope Capel does well enough to eventually become the HC at Duke. That would be a GOOD thing.
I’ll never understand why people don’t want Pitt to be a stepping stone job. When it was for assistants in basketball, we were pretty damn good.

If a coach’s end game is Pitt football or Pitt basketball, he’s probably gonna suck.

I’ll never understand why people don’t want Pitt to be a stepping stone job. When it was for assistants in basketball, we were pretty damn good.

If a coach’s end game is Pitt football or Pitt basketball, he’s probably gonna suck.
I want Pitt to be great, but Jeff Capel ain’t going to be the guy to get them there.. He’s a Mediocre Head Coach and his Career Record proves that.. He drove OU into the Dumpster and Hasn’t showed me anything to prove that he’s anything more than a Bottom Tier ACC Coach..

I want Pitt to be great, but Jeff Capel ain’t going to be the guy to get them there.. He’s a Mediocre Head Coach and his Career Record proves that.. He drove OU into the Dumpster and Hasn’t showed me anything to prove that he’s anything more than a Bottom Tier ACC Coach..
That has nothing to do with my post

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT