ADVERTISEMENT

Slovis to leave

Just before the half of the Tennessee game Slovis got drilled. We should've just taken a knee down 3 going into the half. Just horrible
Funny you mention that game I just re watched that game last night ,that game had to be the most frustrating game of the season,2 missed fg's ,a Patti td run called back cause of a debatable wayne holding call,3 flags were actually picked up in that game that were going to go against tenn,we blocked a punt and got nothing out of it , and some horrible offensive play calling

So Jerk-o-vic wants to come home now after spurning Pitt twice. Dooz should give him two options....enroll at Duquense or run the Pitt scout team and carry Yarnell's water for him.

If Slovis is leaving, that's fine. There should be other signal callers out there better than Jerk-o-vic that would welcome the challenge for the Pitt starting QB position.
I’m not sure if he’d be good or not. But I don’t know that spurning is a good term for the second time. There were no guarantees here when he transferred. When he went to BC he was a stone cold lead pipe lock. So I wouldn’t hold that against him. Don’t except everyone to agree but he was going wherever he knew he was gonna be the guy.

I’m not sure if he’d be good or not. But I don’t know that spurning is a good term for the second time. There were no guarantees here when he transferred. When he went to BC he was a stone cold lead pipe lock. So I wouldn’t hold that against him. Don’t except everyone to agree but he was going wherever he knew he was gonna be the guy.
Good enough. I still think that Pitt should be able to bring in a player with the same tools and better upside and with more eligibility.

Good enough. I still think that Pitt should be able to bring in a player with the same tools and better upside and with more eligibility.
Well we certainly can hope. I believe I said elsewhere I’m not sure I’d want him. Certainly not as plan a or even b. If Slovis does indeed leave maybe you take a flyer since it’s only a year and get someone else too. But I don’t love the idea of him being deemed the guy.

Ir this is true, if I'm Patti, I stay in knowing Phil's history of injuries that even if I don't win the starting job, I'm going to play. Hope Yarnell stays and we get a high school QB

Ir this is true, if I'm Patti, I stay in knowing Phil's history of injuries that even if I don't win the starting job, I'm going to play. Hope Yarnell stays and we get a high school QB
Sometimes guys have just had enough and wanna get on with life. Your point is well taken but it depends on his priorities and whatever life opportunities await him.

Reactions: jctrack
Jurkovec sucks. He's way worse than Slovis, and I want nothing to do with him. I get that he's gritty and knows the offense. I also don't care. He's a very flawed quarterback mechanically, and he throws one of the worst balls I've ever seen. It flutters and hangs in the wind. No thanks. If this is what Cignetti wants to hitch his wagon to, it may be his last OC stint at this level.

look at it this way, if this comes to be Cignetti will be gone the following year. If it doesn't come to be and Jurkovec is successful the team has a good year and you should (in theory) be happy.

He still led us to a winning season. I offer thanks and well wishes. He wasn't the answer, but he wasn't the worst starter I can remember. There have been worse.

After the NC game I had him pegged as Genilla 2.0. Made a nice recovery in November. I'd put Slovis right around Priestly/Turman in the annals of modern (post Marino) Pitt QB history, maybe a little below those two. But better than Genilla, John Ryan, Chris Jelic, Tino

Either for draft ( please stop laughing) or another school . Jurkovec to announce for Pitt tomorrow . I suspect slovis may not stick around for the bowl .’
If Slovis leaves, I am OK with bring Jurkovec in,,,as long as we also bring in another experienced transfer and a freshman recruit.

The Diffenbach kid looks like UNC's Maye as a runner.

( I would rather Slovis stays and Cignetti goes)

He is worse. He physically cannot play quarterback, because he can't throw a football. I've been extremely consistent on praising Slovis' arm but admonishing his moxie and ability to read the field. Jurkovec has no arm talent and consistently lobs balls into double and triple coverage. You can check my posts and find that I was anti Jurkovec way before I thought him coming to Pitt was ever an option. He's gritty, but he isn't any good. This highlight tape should be set to the sounds of a flock of ducks quacking.

J.T. O'Sullivan analyzed his game against Pitt three years ago. A game that BC won and that was one of his better games. He kinda says basically the same stuff and this is when Phil was mostly healthy.

I get that he is a local guy, was once a huge recruit and knows Cignetti's offense, but I think Pitt likely can do better. Slovis is better already actually. But, here is the link:

If P. Jurkovec is not very good, bad arm, etc.someone tell the board why Cignetti would want him, it seems to me if you were in Cignetti's shoes and you knew the limitations of a kid who you coached previously, you would be sure to discourage his interest. So tell us what would motivate Cignetti to pursue failure?

If P. Jurkovec is not very good, bad arm, etc.someone tell the why Cignetti would want him, it seems to me if you were in Cignetti's shoes and you knew the limitations of a kid who you coached previously, you would be sure to discourage his interest. So tell us what would motivate Cignetti to pursue failure?
Why do people hire their friends for jobs and not open the position for the best candidates at times?

People tend to lean towards familiarity. Cignetti worked with Phil for two years, they know each other well and like each other. Everywhere else in life that is generally enough, so this is no different.

I do not think great options exist presently on the market (Phil is one of the better options) and maybe/likely Slovis forced their hand (as in, he is leaving and they need somebody).

I think the key is bringing in someone young to compete with Phil in the case that he is done physically. But, the pivot makes sense.

If Slovis leaves we would be better off going all in on Yarnell than having Jurkovek come in for one year. Yarnell has arm talent that Jurkovek does not have and he can develop into a very good fit for our offense. Cignetti has a whole offseason to work w Yarnell and get him ready. Bringing in a guy that turned down Pitt twice to be our QB for one season isn’t the answer.

J.T. O'Sullivan analyzed his game against Pitt three years ago. A game that BC won and that was one of his better games. He kinda says basically the same stuff and this is when Phil was mostly healthy.

I get that he is a local guy, was once a huge recruit and knows Cignetti's offense, but I think Pitt likely can do better. Slovis is better already actually. But, here is the link:

Agree.

He has health issues as he can’t seem to stay on the field. If he was not a local kid would Pitt fans be happy he may end up here? I doubt it if we are honest with ourselves.

Anyone who read my posts this year knows I’m far from a Slovis fan, but I think he throws a better ball & can improve in this O. Neither guy seems to be able to go beyond the first read.

I think we can get a better transfer QB if Slovis is gone.

Why do people hire their friends for jobs and not open the position for the best candidates at times?
Do you honestly believe the situation you describe is analogous to bringing in a below average QB at this level when you are the OC?

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Do you honestly believe the situation you describe is analogous to bringing in a below average QB at this level when you are the OC?
Yes, if they have the right relationship. This happens at all levels of life, from elite to mediocre. OCs have certainly clung to weaker players that they liked more than another guy that is more talented in the past.

Agree.

He has health issues as he can’t seem to stay on the field. If he was not a local kid would Pitt fans be happy he may end up here? I doubt it if we are honest with ourselves.

Anyone who read my posts this year knows I’m far from a Slovis fan, but I think he throws a better ball & can improve in this O. Neither guy seems to be able to go beyond the first read.

I think we can get a better transfer QB if Slovis is gone.
I completely agree.

Now look, he may be their best option in terms of an experienced guy if Slovis is leaving. It is possible because the only other guy available with his experience level is Armstrong, I think. Maybe Pyne.

I understand the play/interest. But, I think they should also be looking for a younger guy to compete. Someone transferring after their first or second year in college (behind a stud) that has a live arm.

if they have the right relationship
I just can't see it. it will be a disastrous season if the QB is sub par as described, with the importance that position.its hard enough as it is, but anyway we will agree to disagree. Cignetti is a real loser if this is the case.

I just can't see it. it will be a disastrous season if the QB is sub par as described, with the importance that position.its hard enough as it is, but anyway we will agree to disagree. Cignetti is a real loser if this is the case.
Well, I know you probably do not want to hear this, but they may not have a better option. So, I mean, it may be Cignetti and Narduzzi looking to get the best thing that they can get.

I doubt Phil would be terrible. You know, like Kevan Smith or Pat Bostick. But, if he comes, I am not expecting him to be better than Slovis was this year.

I will root for him to be the best QB in college football and hope that he is an All-ACC guy, but my expectation is/would not be high. That said, with good defense, you can win with a blah QB.

My choices: Armstrong, Veilleux, Gabbert and if they transfer Calzada or Rodemaker

Fresham: Hank Brown, Drogosh or Diffenbach.

Pitt could have easily been 10-2 this year with as awful as the QB situation was. They can sell the possibility of 10-2 in 2024, which is playoff consideration. I would prefer not to usher in a first year starter in 2024 with that manageable schedule. Even next year isn’t cut throat. 9-3/10-2 also possible with or without Slovis.

Both QBs are flawed in different ways. I've already said if I had to pick, I would take Jurkovec. I also like the idea of bringing in the PSU guy because chances are he'll play with JP's injury history.

Tell him to come and compete for the job. Nothing for us to lose unless we make promises and refuse to break them until game 8.

Tell him to come and compete for the job
and then wish him well as he will go where he gets that guarantee treatment . I have no problem with it, in fact I suggested that if he is not better than Slovis he really should not be considered.

After the NC game I had him pegged as Genilla 2.0. Made a nice recovery in November. I'd put Slovis right around Priestly/Turman in the annals of modern (post Marino) Pitt QB history, maybe a little below those two. But better than Genilla, John Ryan, Chris Jelic, Tino

Yes he was very much like John Turman if my memory is serving me correctly. Decent game manager type QB who could hit on the occasional deep ball. I put Priestley a tick above both given the year he had when we won the Tangerine Bowl.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT