ADVERTISEMENT

Solution for schools not in the SEC/BIG.

HailtoPitt

Board of Trustee
Jun 18, 2001
Create a conference for football and basketball only. Drop the other sports, which are primarily funded through football and basketball generated revenue. Then use 100% of the new conference revenue for football and basketball. That's the only way I see a school like Pitt competing with schools in the SEC and BIG long term. Only 8 teams. So Pitt, WVU, Louisville, Miami, etc.

And no, SMF did not take over my account. I know I will get blasted for this suggestion.

Create a conference for football and basketball only. Drop the other sports, which are primarily funded through football and basketball generated revenue. Then use 100% of the new conference revenue for football and basketball. That's the only way I see a school like Pitt competing with schools in the SEC and BIG long term. Only 8 teams. So Pitt, WVU, Louisville, Miami, etc.

And no, SMF did not take over my account. I know I will get blasted for this suggestion.
Pitt isn't doing that so it's not really a solution to anything.

Reactions: pittmeister

Is it considered to be "blasting" your idea to point out that it would actually be illegal?

And so we are on the same page, I don't mean "a bad idea". I literally mean "illegal".

Reactions: ThePanthers
It was a good chuckle that your somewhat seriously suggested that Pitt drop or remove it’s non-revenue sports from the premier level. I think at this time in history, Pitt would literally drop its medical school before women’s volleyball or soccer.

So you're suggesting the other P5 conferences form a suicide pact? The instant the non-SEC/B1G schools merge is the instant it becomes the JV conference.

You only have to take it 1 logical step further to see that the B1G and SEC would feel threatened and likely merge their conferences. They would then have like 15 of the top 20 revenue schools and be able to poach any of the remaining schools that they feel would increase their brand.

How would Pitt spend those increased $$ to compete with the SEC B1G?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the ACC schools locked in due to the rights deal? I think I heard that if a school leaves before the deal is up their tv money (or a big portion) goes to the ACC. I think this is why there hasn't been any movement by Clemson or Fla St.

How would Pitt spend those increased $$ to compete with the SEC B1G?

Depends on how much increased revenue there would be. But the first thing would be to eliminate the University subsidy of $8M per year. Then spend to compete in the coaching salary arms race. Then recruiting costs and facilities.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the ACC schools locked in due to the rights deal? I think I heard that if a school leaves before the deal is up their tv money (or a big portion) goes to the ACC. I think this is why there hasn't been any movement by Clemson or Fla St.

When it falls apart, then Pitt is free to leave.

Those two didn't jump before they signed the new GOR so it's probably safe to assume there wasn't legitimate interest. At least not right now. Probably has a lot to do with overlapping TV footprints but all of the wild speculation really whiffed badly.

It was a good chuckle that your somewhat seriously suggested that Pitt drop or remove it’s non-revenue sports from the premier level. I think at this time in history, Pitt would literally drop its medical school before women’s volleyball or soccer.
i didnt even know pitt had a womens soccer team, i kid you not. i know the men's team is doing well.

dont think i've ever seen one post, one highlight or one pic of anything pitt female soccer related. not on this site, in the news, in the newspaper, online, anywhere. and i follow pitt athletics on social media too..

I thought this idea was football and basketball being separate from Olympic sports, who would have their own regionally-centric conferences. Obviously I didn’t read it correctly, because I do not agree with scrapping them altogether.

Depends on how much increased revenue there would be. But the first thing would be to eliminate the University subsidy of $8M per year. Then spend to compete in the coaching salary arms race. Then recruiting costs and facilities.
You don't think Narduzzi's staff is adequately paid? Or that his recruiting budget isn't enough? How much more does he need?

i didnt even know pitt had a womens soccer team, i kid you not. i know the men's team is doing well.

dont think i've ever seen one post, one highlight or one pic of anything pitt female soccer related. not on this site, in the news, in the newspaper, online, anywhere. and i follow pitt athletics on social media too..
They’ve been nearly as good as volleyball and men’s soccer the past few seasons. Very good program with a great head coach.

I thought this idea was football and basketball being separate from Olympic sports, who would have their own regionally-centric conferences. Obviously I didn’t read it correctly, because I do not agree with scrapping them altogether.
I think it absolutely makes a ton of sense to scrap non revenue sports being tied to these conferences like the ACC. zero reason to have our soccer or lacrosse teams going to wake forest and boston to play. More geographical conferences for non revenue sports is a no brainer.

of course it will take way too much effort to put into effect so we have what we have..

Reactions: HailToPitt725

We have mutliple threads in the olympic forum during the season on the women's soccer team, and there was just a big write up on their great season in the PG

pittsburghsoccernow and the womens soccer twitter are always posting and there were a few news segments as well.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
I think it absolutely makes a ton of sense to scrap non revenue sports being tied to these conferences like the ACC. zero reason to have our soccer or lacrosse teams going to wake forest and boston to play. More geographical conferences for non revenue sports is a no brainer.

of course it will take way too much effort to put into effect so we have what we have..
As brought to you by your Carolina Ford Dealers.

What could be done and still be OK with Title IX I would think? Have the P5 conferences, like ACC, SEC, B1G etc. be just for sports that make money, football and men's basketball. The other sports that don't make a profit could play in local leagues and be D3, non-scholarship to save on travel etc. Like Pitt's soccer and volleyball and baseball teams for example could be in a conference with CMU, RMU, Duquesne, WVU, YSU, IUP, etc. Places you can ride a bus to.

I know some in the media have talked about making football and men's basketball players employees and do a revenue share and make all other sports clubs with no scholarships and regional leagues with limited university support. This would be a huge shift that is unlikely to happen anytime in the near future but down the road who knows.

What could be done and still be OK with Title IX I would think? Have the P5 conferences, like ACC, SEC, B1G etc. be just for sports that make money, football and men's basketball. The other sports that don't make a profit could play in local leagues and be D3, non-scholarship to save on travel etc. Like Pitt's soccer and volleyball and baseball teams for example could be in a conference with CMU, RMU, Duquesne, WVU, YSU, IUP, etc. Places you can ride a bus to.
How is providing $0 to women’s sports ok with Title IX? Giving them a bus is not financial aid

Reactions: Parkview57
How is providing $0 to women’s sports ok with Title IX? Giving them a bus is not financial aid
I said, BE D3 in those sports, then they get what you get at D3 schools. Men's soccer, baseball and wrestling would be the same as well.

I'd also say if they want equality, then GENERATE AS MUCH MONEY AS FOOTBALL in one of your sports.

Actually, I have suggested something like this, though not this extreme. NCAA Hockey, Wrestling and Baseball have conferences that aren't always comprised of the football/basketball members. The Big 10 is the only one. I think there are 6 ACC wrestling schools. The SEC doesn't even have wrestling. Mizzou wrestles in the Big 12. Northern Iowa, North Dakota is in the Big 12. Cal Poly and Cal Bakersfield is in the Pac 12.

Create your football conferences. Add in basketball to those like Nova, UConn, Xavier, etc...

Have all of the non revenue sports be more regionalized.

Even in High School, schools are in different sections for different sports.

I said, BE D3 in those sports, then they get what you get at D3 schools. Men's soccer, baseball and wrestling would be the same as well.

Yeah, you said it. It doesn't make it any more legal.

If they had a press conference announcing they were going to your scheme, the first lawsuit would be file before the presser was even over, and an injunction against proceeding with the plan would be in place before the end of the day. That plan is so clearly and obviously illegal that every judge in the country would rule against it.

Reactions: cashisking884
Actually, I have suggested something like this, though not this extreme. NCAA Hockey, Wrestling and Baseball have conferences that aren't always comprised of the football/basketball members. The Big 10 is the only one. I think there are 6 ACC wrestling schools. The SEC doesn't even have wrestling. Mizzou wrestles in the Big 12. Northern Iowa, North Dakota is in the Big 12. Cal Poly and Cal Bakersfield is in the Pac 12.

Create your football conferences. Add in basketball to those like Nova, UConn, Xavier, etc...

Have all of the non revenue sports be more regionalized.

Even in High School, schools are in different sections for different sports.

Yeah, however it needs to work to group football and basketball together to create an attractive package that would bring in a lot of money per school from tv dollars. There wouldn't be any football bottom feeders like Northwestern, Rutgers, Vanderbilt, etc. Maybe ND would even want part of the deal, because fewer schools would mean more scheduling flexibility. Location would not matter.

Pitt
WVU
ND
Louisville
Miami
Oregon
Washington

Eventually the Big10 and SEC will become the de facto AFC and NFC JV. The NFL minor league.

Yeah, you said it. It doesn't make it any more legal.

If they had a press conference announcing they were going to your scheme, the first lawsuit would be file before the presser was even over, and an injunction against proceeding with the plan would be in place before the end of the day. That plan is so clearly and obviously illegal that every judge in the country would rule against it.
Exactly, as was the original post. This whole thread is HYPOTHETICAL, it's illegal, but it's still logical, the sports that can't support nationwide travel, maybe shouldn't travel nationwide. Hypothetically maybe it should be made legal.

The ACC Network under your plan...

Please Stand By GIF by Mailchimp

• Haha
Reactions: HOF Coach
Not only is it illegal from a Title IX perspective, but they'd have to break away from the NCAA and form its own governance structure and championship events (i.e. its own basketball championship apart from, in this hypothetical, the B10 and SEC). In order for any school to compete in Division 1 basketball, the NCAA requires sponsorship of 7 sports for men and 7 for women (or 6 for men and eight for women) with each season (fall, winter, and spring) represented by a minimum of both a men's and women's sport. Each sport also is mandated a minimum number of competitions against D1 schools on their schedules.

So the minimum # of D1 sports sponsored is 14. Pitt sponsors 19. The ACC may have its own expected minimum, but Georgia Tech is the smallest athletic program with 17. In the real world, Pitt, which is trying to look and act like a big boy athletic department for the first time in 90 years, isn't dropping anything at this point.

Reactions: pittdan77
The solution is to find a way to get into the SEC and Big Ten.

There isn’t much outside of that.

It's a hypothetical thread, the NCAA has rules, the rules don't match the economic reality, theoretically if you could mix and match and decide the level D1, D2, D3 etc. individually for each sport, it might make economic sense and you might even be able to support more sports, not less. The only sports that need to be D1 with national schedules because they make money from it are football and men's basketball and maybe women's basketball, all the rest could be D3 and play locally based on their income.

Exactly, as was the original post. This whole thread is HYPOTHETICAL, it's illegal, but it's still logical, the sports that can't support nationwide travel, maybe shouldn't travel nationwide. Hypothetically maybe it should be made legal.

It’s not actually illegal.
Pitt just needs to stop accepting federal funds.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT