ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers acquire Justin Fields for a 6th round pick

We gave up 2 years of rookie deal of Kenny for 1 year of a rookie deal of Fields .

Listen- Russ was going to be the starter -
But now we have zero QBs signed for 2025.

This isn’t the master stroke folks are claiming. At least they could have signed Mason cheap since his market value also sucked to have some consistency
Yep. Three different starting qbs on opening day for three consecutive years. 2025 will make it 4.
Very Cleveland Brown like.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
And Kenny was accurate and reading defenses? I didn't want Fields and I didn't really want to trade Kenny yet but quit with the fantasy that Kenny has been good and only Canada was at fault.
The issues is not Kenny. The issue is the Steelers have zero clue on what makes a good offense and a good qb. Good NFL offenses are efficient and consistent. We struggled with both the past two years, some of that due to Kenny. Neither WIlson nor Fields are known for their decision making within the structure of an offense. Expect another inconsistent offense especially with the holes in our WR corps and OL.

It will be funny seeing the pretzel like logic of the PPG reporters when WIlson/Fields fail to lead the Steelers to the playoffs and the Steeler yet again are looking for a solution to qb.

You're job here has typically been protecting and pimping for Kenny because he's a Pitt guy, you homer ho.
Go to a Pittsburgh Steelers message board if that’s your number one priority. Pitt fans don’t go a Steelers board to talk about Pitt. You are the odd one for thinking Pitt fans on a Pitt message board shouldn’t support a Pitt guy.

The issues is not Kenny. The issue is the Steelers have zero clue on what makes a good offense and a good qb. Good NFL offenses are efficient and consistent. We struggled with both the past two years, some of that due to Kenny. Neither WIlson nor Fields are known for their decision making within the structure of an offense. Expect another inconsistent offense especially with the holes in our WR corps and OL.

It will be funny seeing the pretzel like logic of the PPG reporters when WIlson/Fields fail to lead the Steelers to the playoffs and the Steeler yet again are looking for a solution to qb.
No, Kenny was unfortunately a huge part of the issue.

Kenny Pickett‘s underwhelming touchdown numbers: Pickett now owns the lowest touchdown rate in league history. Over 300 quarterbacks have attempted at least 500 pass attempts in the NFL, and Pickett is the only one with a touchdown rate under 2.0%.

Pickett now owns the lowest touchdown rate in league history. Over 300 quarterbacks have attempted at least 500 pass attempts in the NFL, and Pickett is the only one with a touchdown rate under 2.0%.

New York Giants quarterback Tommy DeVito, an undrafted rookie playing behind one of the worst offensive lines seen in years, now has as many touchdown passes as Pickett this season, and DeVito has dropped back just 114 times.

The way his contract is structured, the 6th becomes a 4th only if he plays 51% of snaps.

And they can cut Russ for nothing.

So assuming Russ doesn't get hurt but the Steelers are bad, they can make Fields the starter in week 10 and still not owe the 4th round pick. That would give them 2 months to evaluate Fields' future and maybe sign him to what Baker and Geno got (effectively a 2 year deal).

No, Kenny was unfortunately a huge part of the issue.

Yeah, anything starting off with, "The issue was not Kenny" isn't even worth reading and will only be found on a Pitt board. All involved effed up a good bit, but Kenny not being very good tops the list of issues.

Reactions: Burgh15
At least this will be interesting. And now they at least have a younger option on the roster, I'd still pick a QB in the middle or late rounds, or at least sign an undrafted FA, they need at least one more

Jordan Travis. I’m beating that drum until the draft. He is going to be a steal for someone in the later rounds.

By trade value , which is a market price, Pickett > Fields and it's not even close. That means many GMs see Pickett as having the higher ceiling and it's easy to see why. Fields does not make good consistent quick decisions in the pocket. He is much better at making things happen outside of the pocket. That leads to an inconsistent offense.
The Steelers moves tell me they do not understand how to judge qbs. Neither Fields nor Wilson is known to be consistent executors that play with the structure of their offense. They are both known for their ability to make plays when things breakdown. The Steelers offense next year will be inefficient next year and probably more turnover prone. How does that lead to more victories??

This just isn’t accurate. The contract with Fields was a big factor in the market. You have one month until you have to decide on a huge option year kicks in with Fields. You have multiple years with Kenny. And Russell is borderline HOF - so let’s not say he can’t play the position. Just have to see how many years he has left.

And is it possible Omar played his hand perfectly? With some of you, it’s always negative “well he must suck”.

Fields is the perfect flyer to put with Russ, and an opportunity to renegotiate contract as a non starter. He has more rushing yards the last two years than Lamar. Can get him on the field as a Swiss Army knife, and gave up next to nothing to get a higher ceiling long term QB.

I love KP. I think he is a winner with some intangibles that will support his growth. But his short term means seasons that look like last year. Do people want to do the same thing and then bitch at Tomlin about playoff wins? Or actually take a couple swings to do something about it?

Reactions: Burgh15
I love KP. I think he is a winner with some intangibles that will support his growth. But his short term means seasons that look like last year. Do people want to do the same thing and then bitch at Tomlin about playoff wins? Or actually take a couple swings to do something about it?
The Steelers with Kenny and Rudolph was basically with Phil/Veilleux and Yarnell. In both cases the starters weren't getting the job done and the backup came in and looked good by comparison, yet really isn't good enough either to get over the hump.

Now Pitt swung for the fences with a young OC to drastically change what they day where the Steelers went with a safer pick, but having a former head coach on staff as a coordinator isn't a bad fallback either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT