ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers

Name 4 you rather have not named belichek or Carroll

Dear Mr Windbag,
windbag-wonders-bernoulli-5-768x320.jpg

Good coaches better than Tomlin are likely to have less of an NFL record but are young coaches or assistants who have a higher ceiling than Tomlin.

Their careers are trending up while Tomlins is trending down.
Other rating factors where Tomlin is falling short are:

Player management - he didn't handle the team well, lost control, Ben is running the show, and AB was a disaster

Game management- Tomlin seems to swing a miss in this category, challenges, etc

On the fly and half time adjs - Rivers/Chrgers mentioned it last year we adjusted and the Steelers didn't. 26-7 beat down in the second half. Tomlin was confused and lost control of the game. This happens over and over again with the Steelers losing to teams they should beat just ask Oakland.

There's more. Football analysts alude to Tomlins inability to control and manage games, and the local Pittsburgh radio hosts to a host think he's downing a poor job coaching the Steelers.

I'm not listing names because you and the other Windbags on the site will spend their day micro posting stupid reasons why Tomlin is a better choice.

It Tomlin was an airplane the crew would be on the radio yelling Mayday, Mayday we're about to crash.

Last edited:
Dear Mr Windbag,

Good coaches better than Tomlin are likely to have less of an NFL record but are young coaches or assistants who have a higher ceiling than Tomlin.

Player management - he didn't handle the team well, lost control, Ben is running the show, and AB was a disaster

On the fly and half time adjs - Rivers/Chrgers mentioned it last year we adjusted and the Steelers didn't. 26-7 beat down in the second half. Tomlin was confused and lost control of the game. This happens over and over again with the Steelers losing to teams they should beat just ask Oakland.

There's more. Football analysts alude to Tomlins inability to control and manage games, and the local Pittsburgh radio hosts to a host think he's downing a poor job coaching the Steelers.

I'm not listing names because you and the other Windbags on the site will spend their day micro posting stupid reasons why Tomlin is a better choice.

It Tomlin was an airplane the crew would be on the radio yelling Mayday, Mayday we're about to crash.

So in other words, you can’t name any coaches. Got it.

Dear Mr Windbag,

And you’ve again provided no names

lots of words to say nothing, while ironically calling me a windbag?

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Dear Mr Windbag,

You’d help your cause if you just name a few. Just saying. o_O

Correct
Which is why the anti-tomlin folks are a bit silly
I think Ski initiating this Tomlin debate was silly since it is so old and boring and can easily be argued from either the pro or anti-Tomlin side. But the silliest thing was that he’s tried to make his pro-Tomlin point by calling him not really a good coach.

I think Ski initiating this Tomlin debate was silly since it is so old and boring and can easily be argued from either the pro or anti-Tomlin side. But the silliest thing was that he’s tried to make his pro-Tomlin point by calling him not really a good coach.

1: 98% of what's posted on these boards is old and boring and can easily be argued from either side.

2: Eh. Not really. I more so argued that there's one coach head and shoulders above the rest and would then put Tomlin in the second tier.

1: 98% of what's posted on these boards is old and boring and can easily be argued from either side.

2: Eh. Not really. I more so argued that there's one coach head and shoulders above the rest and would then put Tomlin in the second tier.
Yep you’re correct, most debates can easily be argued from both sides, and with validity on both sides. What is silly is Souf and you not seeing that w/r to Tomlin.

On pt 2, no matter how you cut it, you’re not presenting a ringing endorsement for Tomlin if all you can say he’s no better or worse than his peers.

Yeah, this Tomlin debate is getting old and tired. Let’s talk about something new and fresh.

How about that on-campus stadium? :rolleyes:

Reactions: pittdan77
Yep you’re correct, most debates can easily be argued from both sides, and with validity on both sides. What is silly is Souf and you not seeing that w/r to Tomlin.

On pt 2, no matter how you cut it, you’re not presenting a ringing endorsement for Tomlin if all you can say he’s no better or worse than his peers.
I see it just fine

I’m I have no skin in the game .

tomlin has been to two Super Bowls , won 1, and hasn’t had a losing season in 13 years - this may be his first and with the dirth of talent. On offense-
May be his best coaching job

If the Steelers move on- fine by me.

but you’ll notice nobody has a handful of names -
Which is my point.

tomlin gets discounted by sports talk radio fans because they want change for changes sake.

he’s clearly in the handful of coaches in the nfl who are in the top tier

Reactions: HailToPitt725
If Tomlin isn't coaching the Steelers next year it will almost certainly be by his choice. He lost his starting QB for the year to injury. His back up was out for the 2nd half of a critical Baltimore game. He lost his best RB to FA because the front office opted not to sign him. He may bear some responsibility for not reigning in AB earlier, but that stuff last year has been proven pretty clearly to be more about AB's mental state.

I'm not saying that Tomlin doesn't make questionable decisions with in game management but he isn't going to get fired after the hand that he has been dealt this year.

If Tomlin isn't coaching the Steelers next year it will almost certainly be by his choice. He lost his starting QB for the year to injury. His back up was out for the 2nd half of a critical Baltimore game. He lost his best RB to FA because the front office opted not to sign him. He may bear some responsibility for not reigning in AB earlier, but that stuff last year has been proven pretty clearly to be more about AB's mental state.

I'm not saying that Tomlin doesn't make questionable decisions with in game management but he isn't going to get fired after the hand that he has been dealt this year.
This is the correct answer, IMO. They stayed with Noll when the team was obviously on the decline his last few seasons and stayed with Cowher when he had his struggles. I think the likely outcome is Tomlin stays through 2021 and retires with Ben when their contract expire.

They recognize that there’s no one out there who could produce better results than Tomlin, and the ones that are aren’t going anywhere (Belichick, Carroll?). Only one I would maybe consider being an “upgrade” is Payton, but he has his downfalls just like Tomlin. I think you’d get around the same results with guys like Reid, Harbaugh, Gruden, etc. unless you’re making the argument that the team needs a “different message.”

Off to a great start. It is amazing how many Steeler fans are at this game. We are 1-4, and they took over their stadium.
The really sad thing about it is Yinzers will travel across the country to watch a team from Pittsburgh play a football game. I would bet that a lot of those same people would not drive to Heinz Field to watch another Pittsburgh football team play a game.

This is the correct answer, IMO. They stayed with Noll when the team was obviously on the decline his last few seasons and stayed with Cowher when he had his struggles. I think the likely outcome is Tomlin stays through 2021 and retires with Ben when their contract expire.

They recognize that there’s no one out there who could produce better results than Tomlin, and the ones that are aren’t going anywhere (Belichick, Carroll?). Only one I would maybe consider being an “upgrade” is Payton, but he has his downfalls just like Tomlin. I think you’d get around the same results with guys like Reid, Harbaugh, Gruden, etc. unless you’re making the argument that the team needs a “different message.”
Sean Payton has a much better HOF QB and just like Tomlin only has 1 Super Bowl win to show for it, there really isn't an "upgrade" out there.

Sean Payton has a much better HOF QB and just like Tomlin only has 1 Super Bowl win to show for it, there really isn't an "upgrade" out there.
I agree with that, which is why I only went as far as saying you could make the argument. If anything, you could say Tomlin is better because he has more Super Bowl appearances.

The really sad thing about it is Yinzers will travel across the country to watch a team from Pittsburgh play a football game. I would bet that a lot of those same people would not drive to Heinz Field to watch another Pittsburgh football team play a game.

A lot of the folks who were there are transplanted Western Pennsylvanians like me who had that date circled on our calendars since the schedule was released.

why is this a sad thing? First off, a lot are transplanted western pa steeler fans living out west but even if some were actually living here, why is that sad?

Some steeler fans want to take a long weekend/mini vacation to southern California to watch the steelers play. that's sad? Sounds pretty nice to me. take a long weekend and fly out west to SoCal in October.. not sure how that is really sad for anyone..

You’d help your cause if you just name a few. Just saying. o_O

Tomlin was the DC for the Viking when the Steelers hired him.
No HC NFL track record for the Superbowl champs the Steelers.
Tomlin got lucky with a team loaded with talent.

Like Tomlin now the Steelers HC Cowher's career was on a downward trend.

Had I listed him ( Tomlin) at that time as a possible Steelers replacement coach for Cowher all you guys plus Mr Windbag and his outraged partner Ski would have been all over me on that one.

Lots of great coaches with potential are available just like Tomlin when he joined the Steelers?

It's a large list.

Burn out!

Last edited:
No HC NFL track record.

Had I listed him ( Tomlin) at that time as a possible Steelers replacement coach for Cower all you guys plus Mr Windbag and his outraged partner Ski would have been all over me on that one.

Lots of great coaches with potential are available just like Tomlin?

It's a large list.
Bill Cowher must have gotten lucky as well.

Bill Cowher must have gotten lucky as well.

Cowher worked hard.

Coach Cowher was not put into the same situation as Tomlin when he took over for Chuck Noll in 1992. The Steelers at that time were not a Super Bowl contender. In fact they had missed the playoffs six times in the final seven seasons under Noll, so Cowher taking over and making the playoffs six straight years and making the team’s first Super Bowl appearance since the 1979 season was very impressive. Cowher also won five division titles in his first seven years and only missed the playoffs one time (his seventh year). Tomlin has made four playoff appearances and won three AFC North titles but has missed the playoffs three times, two years in a row in playoffs in each of his first six seasons as head coach, a feat previously accomplished only by Paul Brown.

Even though Cowher's last few years weren't Superbowl years Tomlin inherited the Cowher success, discipline, and legacy.
When the Cowher effect wore off there was no Tomlin effect in fact the Steelers program has declined and Tomlin has lost control of the great Steelers.

Last edited:
No HC NFL track record for the Superbowl champs the Steelers.

Like Tomlin now the Steelers HC Cowher's career was on a downward trend.

Had I listed him ( Tomlin) at that time as a possible Steelers replacement coach for Cowher all you guys plus Mr Windbag and his outraged partner Ski would have been all over me on that one.

Lots of great coaches with potential are available just like Tomlin when he joined the Steelers?

It's a large list.

Burn out!
PF2, for all intents and purposes, you could be right. However, you continuing to dodge the question of “who” gives your argument less credibility.

I don’t even care if it’s not an established head coach. It might be comparing apples to oranges considering Tomlin is a well-established, Super Bowl-winning coach, but it gives you something to work off of. Do you like Kris Richard? Perhaps Kevin O’Connell?

PF2, for all intents and purposes, you could be right. However, you continuing to dodge the question of “who” gives your argument less credibility.

I don’t even care if it’s not an established head coach. It might be comparing apples to oranges considering Tomlin is a well-established, Super Bowl-winning coach, but it gives you something to work off of. Do you like Kris Richard? Perhaps Kevin O’Connell?

At the time Tomlin was hired would someone like myself have named him??
If I did I would have been blasted out of the water.

So I don't mention them!

There are lots of up and comers out there in addition to established head coaches.
I reserve my right to mention them due to the Monday morning, the glass is half empty, downside Yinzers who post on this Free Message Board.
Lol!

Cowher worked hard.

Coach Cowher was not put into the same situation as Tomlin when he took over for Chuck Noll in 1992. The Steelers at that time were not a Super Bowl contender. In fact they had missed the playoffs six times in the final seven seasons under Noll, so Cowher taking over and making the playoffs six straight years and making the team’s first Super Bowl appearance since the 1979 season was very impressive. Cowher also won five division titles in his first seven years and only missed the playoffs one time (his seventh year). Tomlin has made four playoff appearances and won three AFC North titles but has missed the playoffs three times, two years in a row in playoffs in each of his first six seasons as head coach, a feat previously accomplished only by Paul Brown.

Even though Cowher's last few years weren't Superbowl years Tomlin inherited the Cowher success, discipline, and legacy.
When the Cowher effect wore off there was no Tomlin effect in fact the Steelers program has declined and Tomlin has lost control of the great Steelers.
Cowher inherited a good team Woodson, Lake, Nickerson(left after 92), Lloyd, Dawson, Foster, Thigpen and O’Donnell. Sure Noll missed the playoffs but he did a great job rebuilding the roster his last few seasons.

Cowher inherited a good team Woodson, Lake, Nickerson(left after 92), Lloyd, Dawson, Foster, Thigpen and O’Donnell. Sure Noll missed the playoffs but he did a great job rebuilding the roster his last few seasons.

Happjack,
I took this right from the Steelers article about Cowher and Tomlin. It was a cut and paste.

I didn't make it up. I didn't write whats in Red.
I'm going with the professional Steeler media rather than Happjack's opinion.

It looks like Cowher inherited team on a downward slide.
He may have inherited some good players but the team as a team was in bad shape and Cowher pulled things together.
Tomlin inherited good players, a good team, has good players, and the team is in decline under his management!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT