ADVERTISEMENT

Stillers - Jags

We have been watching a different second half
Weird. At that point in the half, He flawlessly lead them down the field on a TD drive, making good decisions running and throwing the ball. Maybe you were in the bathroom or walking your dog. Sure after the int he sucked, but prior to he was looking good.

Terrible season for offensive football. Can there be a worse combination of college and NFL football in one town w/r to offense?
And we have two mediocre coaches. One stumbles clumsily over every word in a news conference, so he’s hated. And the other is the greatest word smith of all time and therefore has half the country fooled.

Reactions: Dan1911 and Chaos
LOL, love the local yokel Kdka call in show after a Steeler loss. 40ish minutes into it. 35 minutes have been whining and ranting about how the officials jobbed the Steelers and how the “inconsistency in officiating has to be addressed”. One time, one game, when every bad call didn’t go their way. Welcome to Pitt’s nightmare literally every week, yinzers

LOL, love the local yokel Kdka call in show after a Steeler loss. 40ish minutes into it. 35 minutes have been whining and ranting about how the officials jobbed the Steelers and how the “inconsistency in officiating has to be addressed”. One time, one game, when every bad call didn’t go their way. Welcome to Pitt’s nightmare literally every week, yinzers
on the other hand

lol. lmao even

The side by side pics just like this in the FSU and Pitt QB slides last week were scoffed at as being irrelevant, so I’ll say that these are equally so. Suck it up Steelers fans and accept the butt rape from the officials. Pitt fans have to, every single week of every season.
It has more to do with incompetence. That picture clearly shows an Illegal Formation on the Steelers.

on the other hand

lol. lmao even

It is pretty obvious that people do not know the rule for an offensive lineman being in the neutral zone. So to help everyone out, here are the pertinent sections of the NFL rulebook. If you don't believe me, you can look it up for yourself here:

2023 NFL Rulebook

ARTICLE 2. NEUTRAL ZONE. The neutral zone is the space between the forward and backward points of the ball (planes) and extends to the sidelines. It starts when the ball is ready for play (See neutral zone infraction, 7-4-4).

Item 1. Non-Snapper. If he is not the snapper, no part of his body is permitted to be in the neutral zone at the snap, and his helmet must break a vertical plane that passes through the beltline of the snapper

Now look at that picture and tell me that the BOTH guards aren't lined up with their helmets in the neutral zone, and I'll tell you that you are blind.

Now if you want to argue that that's a ticky-tacky call and they shouldn't be calling that, hey, I'm right there with you. And if you want to argue that the defender on the left end of the line is also lined up in the neutral zone so if you are going to call it you have to call it on both teams, again, I'm right there with you. But the only way you can look at that picture and not know, not think, but know, that both of the Stiller guards are lined up with their head's in the neutral zone is if you don't know the rules.

It is pretty obvious that people do not know the rule for an offensive lineman being in the neutral zone. So to help everyone out, here are the pertinent sections of the NFL rulebook. If you don't believe me, you can look it up for yourself here:

2023 NFL Rulebook

ARTICLE 2. NEUTRAL ZONE. The neutral zone is the space between the forward and backward points of the ball (planes) and extends to the sidelines. It starts when the ball is ready for play (See neutral zone infraction, 7-4-4).

Item 1. Non-Snapper. If he is not the snapper, no part of his body is permitted to be in the neutral zone at the snap, and his helmet must break a vertical plane that passes through the beltline of the snapper

Now look at that picture and tell me that the BOTH guards aren't lined up with their helmets in the neutral zone, and I'll tell you that you are blind.

Now if you want to argue that that's a ticky-tacky call and they shouldn't be calling that, hey, I'm right there with you. And if you want to argue that the defender on the left end of the line is also lined up in the neutral zone so if you are going to call it you have to call it on both teams, again, I'm right there with you. But the only way you can look at that picture and not know, not think, but know, that both of the Stiller guards are lined up with their head's in the neutral zone is if you don't know the rules.

Not disagreeing with you. I have just never seen that called on a FG. Never.

And that's people's problems with this call specifically and NFL officiating in general. There are a ton of rules which are never enforced in particular situations. Or you get a warning before enforcement. But then some ref decides to enforce it one time against one team and completely alters the the outcome of a game.

If a rule isn't enforce 99.9% of the time, then non-enforcement is the actual rule and the rule itself exists only as a way to punish particular people in particular circumstances. That's why people are upset.

Reactions: Chaos
Not disagreeing with you. I have just never seen that called on a FG. Never.

And that's people's problems with this call specifically and NFL officiating in general. There are a ton of rules which are never enforced in particular situations. Or you get a warning before enforcement. But then some ref decides to enforce it one time against one team and completely alters the the outcome of a game.

If a rule isn't enforce 99.9% of the time, then non-enforcement is the actual rule and the rule itself exists only as a way to punish particular people in particular circumstances. That's why people are upset.

I agree, it's ticky-tacky and they shouldn't have called it. If they were worried about it you go to the coach after the first time you see it and you tell him "hey coach, your guy(s) are lining up in the neutral zone, tell them to stop, if they do it next time I'm going to call it." And then if they do it again you've got no excuse.

But it surely was a penalty by the way the rule is written.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT