ADVERTISEMENT

Taking lumps with a young qb

Pickette can’t play...PERIOD!! And if Watson is back - with the Steelers meltdown they need to quarantine the south side complex for a year!

Reactions: PittPanthers90
Totally disagree. He is not progressed, he has regressed. Can we get someone who can develop these guys. This is not a great sign for this program in the future. It was evident with the Clemson game. You can't run the ball 50 times and win games.

I’ve said this in another thread and what you see from Pickett now is what you saw in his HS tapes. stares down receivers flushes from the pocket too soon and can’t make quick decisions

Patti and Beville are by far better QBs

If Duzz sticks with this kid and Watson he will be fired after next year because they will have a losing seaso

I don't want to hear about young QBs, how many young QBs over the years Freshman, or rs Freshman come into programs and handle it???

I don’t care if Joe Montana is on the bench. The current offensive system and playcalling is Matt Cavanaugh bad. Pitt keeps hiring stubborn stupid and boring B10 coaches and that’s why they go .500 and lose mediocre bowl games each year with nfl talent

Reactions: brickfhouse
I’ve said this in another thread and what you see from Pickett now is what you saw in his HS tapes. stares down receivers flushes from the pocket too soon and can’t make quick decisions

Patti and Beville are by far better QBs

If Duzz sticks with this kid and Watson he will be fired after next year because they will have a losing seaso

I don't think Pitt has a quality qb on their roster or in their incoming class.

Totally disagree. He is not progressed, he has regressed. Can we get someone who can develop these guys. This is not a great sign for this program in the future. It was evident with the Clemson game. You can't run the ball 50 times and win games.

He has had all year to show some improvement. I'm not seeing any improvement at all.

Last edited:
When you take lumps with a young QB, you see signs of quality play. They make you say "wow" every game, but then throw a dumb interception. This wasn't taking lumps, this was watching an incompetent passing game.

Joe Montana couldn't score in this O and Bill Walsh couldn't call a decent game with our QB.

Both the QB and this offense will be back next year.

I'm hoping for an influenza epidemic to cancel the season. GO INFLUENZA!

he will be better next year. Much better. All is not lost.
Absolutely absurd statement. You don't need to be a 3 year starter to hit wide open receivers. These are throws that high school kids make. Not only is Pickett inaccurate, but he telegraphs his throws and doesn't go through progressions.

You did notice that other schools start true freshmen who perform way better then Pickett.

Cruzer

Absolutely absurd statement. You don't need to be a 3 year starter to hit wide open receivers. These are throws that high school kids make. Not only is Pickett inaccurate, but he telegraphs his throws and doesn't go through progressions.

You did notice that other schools start true freshmen who perform way better then Pickett.

Cruzer

Yeah usually with a young qb you’ll see flashes of talent that give you hope that with more experience he’ll get a lot better. But other than the Wake game he’s shown nothing. He has had a complete season to improve and has not gotten better at even one aspect of the game

If Patti and or Beville can’t beat him out Duzz won’t be here in 2021

Hopefully Beville is the real deal or we are in trouble.

We need him to perform like Clemson’s frosh did this year otherwise we won’t win 5 games next year.

He has to work his ass off on accuracy if there’s any hope. I don’t think he has near enough help but when he does have time and guys open his throws aren’t great even if they’re completed. Too many times guys couldn’t get the yards after catch because it wasn’t easy or in stride.

he will be better next year. Much better. All is not lost.

What about our lumps? Some of us have been supporting Pitt athletes for years and we’ve had so many lumps on our heads, a phrenologist would be confused...

No, we need to give lumps instead of taking them for a change...

Reactions: Large Panther
Hopefully Beville is the real deal or we are in trouble.

We need him to perform like Clemson’s frosh did this year otherwise we won’t win 5 games next year.

He’s not going to be anywhere near that good. It’s not fair to expect the #550 recruit in the country to do the same things as the consensus best high school player in the country.

In a perfect world he can sit out a year to get stronger and continue to improve.

Reactions: bdur76
He’s not going to be anywhere near that good. It’s not fair to expect the #550 recruit in the country to do the same things as the consensus best high school player in the country.

In a perfect world he can sit out a year to get stronger and continue to improve.

He doesn’t have to be as good as the Clemson kid. He just has to be a decent D1 QB which Picket is not

I think Beville will be on campus this winter so he will have a decent shot at the starting position

Agreed, but no QB on the current roster could beat out Pickett so hope has to come from outside the current roster.

I dunno... maybe Pickett is damaged goods and irreparably damaged due to the coaching. Watson - per Narduzzi's guidance - seems to be grooming this guy as a zero-risk, game manager. Hence... he always takes the sack... rarely throws over the middle into coverage... throws low and away on sideline routes and rarely under throws posts and other deep routes unless the balls sail out of bounds so no-one can catch them.

I am convinced the guy doesn't throw picks because the brain-trust feels the risky throws aren't worth it and taking a sack (even from an opponents 30 pushing you out of FG range) is the best alternative. Because you know... he's Mr. Defense and his defense will win the field position battle. I don't expect any miracles from this bunch.

Reactions: Large Panther
Pickett looked like a QB with very little playing time under his belt. We all agree he should be much better than this, especially after starting all year. I blame some of this on the development or lack of it, but he doesn't keep his eyes on the whole field when he gets flushed out of the pocket. He had receivers wide open during the game and didn't see them because he was locked onto one receiver. Not sure how much of that is teachable or if it should be instinctive. Which ever it is Pickett doesn't seem to have it. I still think if we had an OC as good as Canada he would have done much better.

He won’t be better. He lacks talent. You can’t learn talent. My 90 year old grandma has a stronger arm than Pickett.
My 13 yr old grandson said he’s terrible

Anyone thinking we have qb are no brighter than those thinking Tomlin sb praised for breaking 8 ever yr.

I would say try to improve

There has been no improvement to continue...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT