ADVERTISEMENT

Team voted no on NIT

I remember the early Ben Howland/Dixon teams using the NIT as a springboard. That was 20+ years ago. Things have obviously changed. Listen to today;s players or they'll just enter the portal and sign a bigger NIL deal with another school. It's a clusterf*ck

With you leaving the Progra—no season tickets, no donations—sounds like quitting to me. Put your name in the fan portal.
No matter what I do, I can't have my name stricken from the media guide.

I will probably end up keeping my season tickets, even though it hasn't made financial sense for me to have them for many years now.

Sorry, no where is it written anyone voted. Look it up. From the PG

"We made the decision to decline an NIT invitation as a team and with the support of our university leadership. It was a difficult choice, but ultimately what is best for our student-athletes".
Then who voted?

That's true, I don't know. In '92 it was after though.

It still is not something for the players to vote on, IMO. And I completely disagree with Capel having the team do so.

You are right, Capel is the steward. And I am the steward of my support for the program. He made his call. And I will have to carefully think on mine.

I'm sure the hoops program will be hurting without your 5 dollar donation.

Where’s it written that electing not to play in a meaningless tournament is quitting on the season ?

Selfishly i’d prefer to see them play a few more games , but they just finished.a long hard season and got ripped , they deserved better . Why risk injury to play in a few meaningless games , let them get back to being college students .

Now it’s time for JC to go get them muscle !

congrats to Duquesne !
Yes heard risking injury was a big factor. H2P

Maybe they can go play the US women's soccer team in a exhibition game. That way they can play, but can't be criticized for losing to a Sunbelt team.

lol imagine cancelling your season tickets over a team refusing to play in the BBVA Compass Tournament.

There has been nothing published to substantiate that.
Except for the PG quoting Capel who did not use the term vote, sounds like the team discussed it. But, nevertheless they have made a decision that is good for them. so be it.

Yes, but I researched it, not really a vote per se after actually reading the quote.

Tom Crean going off on Pitt and other opt outs on ESPN2. He was totally fired up and he he is 100% correct.
Unless I heard wrong,apparently they told the NIT early on this week they would be not taking a bid.This just didn’t happen today.That also might be why Bub was asked if he was coming back after the UNC game.That would be a season ending question and as it turned out it was.

Reactions: Parkview57
Unless I heard wrong,apparently they told the NIT early on this week they would be not taking a bid.This just didn’t happen today.That also might be why Bub was asked if he was coming back after the UNC game.That would be a season ending question and as it turned out it was.

No matter when it was decided, it is a terrible decision. Except that you can't even blame it on the emotion of the moment, it really changes nothing. In fact, it makes it worse.

Reactions: Black Panther
Except for the PG quoting Capel who did not use the term vote, sounds like the team discussed it. But, nevertheless they have made a decision that is good for them. so be it.
But you continue to blame only Capel (despite your prior posts) though nothing backs you up about sole blame. Your dislike of Capel clouds your thoughts.

No matter when it was decided, it is a terrible decision. Except that you can't even blame it on the emotion of the moment, it really changes nothing. In fact, it makes it worse.
I agree with you.They should have taken the bid and played.I liked Creans passion on the subject.I sort of lost a little respect for him since he left Pitt but he gained it all back tonight.

Your dislike of Capel clouds your thoughts.
Not really, I don't feel that strongly about it. He definitely knows the college game,,,
Unless I heard wrong,apparently they told the NIT early on this week they would be not taking a bid.
I hope so , it would be a better way of making the decision, this is something that HCJC is good at , he knows what to expect and how to get ahead of this stuff.

Power conference programs not too good to play in the NIT:

LSU, Georgia, Boston College, Wake Forest, Virginia Tech, Ohio State, Iowa, Minnesota, Seton Hall, Providence, Villanova, Butler, Xavier, Cincinnati, UCF, Kansas State, Utah
Per the NIT selection show, teams that declined:
St. John's, Pitt, Oklahoma, Memphis, Ole Miss, and Indiana.

Think those might just be some of the notables. For instance, I didn't see Syracuse in the field.
They aren't in the field, but according to Syracusefan.com, they didn't receive a bid. WSYR said it was unclear if they weren't invited or declined. Nothing on the primary fan message board indicates they declined.

Last edited:
Trib writes:

"So irritated were Pitt officials after receiving the NCAA snub, they immediately declined an invitation to the NIT for “what is best for our student-athletes,” according to a statement from coach Jeff Capel."

That doesn't speak very well of "Pitt officials," at all. Most people on this board following developments over the past 48 hours expected them not be be selected. It shouldn't have come as a surprise.

Reactions: Chrush15
These guys are now getting paid to play . Apparently that does not carry over to the post season?

Look at football. The day is coming where teams tell these piss ant bowl games, either you pay us or we stay home.

Given the recent events with Pitt and other declining schools, has that day arrived??

Power conference programs not too good to play in the NIT:

LSU, Georgia, Boston College, Wake Forest, Virginia Tech, Ohio State, Iowa, Minnesota, Seton Hall, Providence, Villanova, Butler, Xavier, Cincinnati, UCF, Kansas State, Utah

Not sure that's a great argument though. That's only 17 P6 schools in the NIT out of 32. Out of those 17, 5 are Big East basketball-only schools. 1 is a clear basketball school (Wake). 2 are either new P6 or a historically terrible program (BC, UCF).

The only like programs who accepted NIT bids are LSU, UGa, VT, OSU, Iowa, Min, Cin, KSt, Utah

Why on earth would Bub Carrington risk injury playing in the NIT when virtually every NBA mock draft predicts he will be a first-rounder?

Reactions: Ski11585
Yes. I can’t stand people quitting on their teams when there’s a bowl game left. Doesn’t make them wrong, but I hate it. I want to see people finish what they started.
They did finish the main and only objective. To finish as high as they can in the ACC. Play in the ACC tourney and try to get an NCAA bid. They decided NOT to play in an optional exhibition. That is meaningless. They didn’t quit on their team because they the team decided as one not to play in tbese meaningless games. TV ratings and fan attendance proves how worthless these games are.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT