ADVERTISEMENT

Team voted no on NIT

I disagree with this. If individual players choose to opt out that’s one thing, but for the program this equals extra exposure, revenue, and practices. If selected, put a team on the floor. The NIT is no different than the football team playing in the Sun Bowl. Take advantage of the extras it affords.
How much more money would any of the players (or Capel or Lyke for that matter) make if they went. I think the answer to that explains a lot.

Not really, I don't feel that strongly about it. He definitely knows the college game,,,

I hope so , it would be a better way of making the decision, this is something that HCJC is good at , he knows what to expect and how to get ahead of this stuff.
I think that you're the one on crack.

These guys are now getting paid to play . Apparently that does not carry over to the post season?

Look at football. The day is coming where teams tell these piss ant bowl games, either you pay us or we stay home.

Given the recent events with Pitt and other declining schools, has that day arrived??
Teams are paid by the bowl games.

There's no way they wouldn't have been invited. Xavier is like 16-17.
I agree one would think they would have been. I have no idea. But there is nothing on the main fan message board either, nor on their twitter feed, nor their SBNation blog site.

Xavier's Net ranking was 64; Syracuse's was 84.

From what it appears, they didn't receive a bid.

Last edited:
How much more money would any of the players (or Capel or Lyke for that matter) make if they went. I think the answer to that explains a lot.
They would be paid the same if they had been selected to the NCAA tourney. Would they have turned it down based on your implication?

They still are paid, which was the point.
No, it negates the point. Most bowls lose money for participating teams.

And actually, teams aren't paid. Conferences are paid. Conference then reimburse teams for their travel/participation. Usually, it doesn't cover the expense of playing in the bowl.

Teams aren't paid for NCAA participation either. Units are collected for the conferences, which are then paid per unit.

Last edited:
Would you really want to see them compete as a #1 seed without Carrington & Hinson? Not sure I would.

Absolutely. I love watching Pitt basketball so even without Bub and Blake, I'd look forward to that game more than the National Championship game. If they lose, so what.

I've seen it first hand, although it wasn't the disappointment at that time as much as disillusion with the staff that came with a season ending unraveling. And it took playing exactly one game to get that competitive juice back, and that one game proved to be a springboard.

A springboard to what, exactly?

They used winning that first NIT game that year into losing the second game they played. Unless you mean they used it as a springboard to a 9-9 record in the Big East the following season, which was clearly much better than that season's record of {checks media guide} 9-9.

Reactions: PITTstorm
I don't agree with the decision not to play, because it's an opportunity to watch more Pitt Basketball. I would have gone to the home games.

But, if they don't want to play then what's the use? I'd rather they not play than watch a half hearted effort in a game they don't want to be in.

I don't agree with the decision not to play, because it's an opportunity to watch more Pitt Basketball. I would have gone to the home games.

But, if they don't want to play then what's the use? I'd rather they not play than watch a half hearted effort in a game they don't want to be in.

Just imagine paying money to go to the game, and then seeing a half-assed effort like we saw the last time Pitt played in the NIT.

Wait, hold on a second, that's unfair on my part. Saying that they put out a half-assed effort in that game is actually an insult to people who have actually put out a half-assed effort at something. That team would have had to have put out a lot more effort for it to even make it to half-assed.

A springboard to what, exactly?

They used winning that first NIT game that year into losing the second game they played. Unless you mean they used it as a springboard to a 9-9 record in the Big East the following season, which was clearly much better than that season's record of {checks media guide} 9-9.
Some of the starters had essentially quit. They were benched and replaced by the what essentially became the following year's starting lineup who came in and turned it around, particularly the attitude of the team, which actually did follow it up with a solid effort against Florida.

It was a springboard for leadership on the team going forward. And they made the NCAAs the next year.

Some of the starters had essentially quit. They were benched and replaced by the what essentially became the following year's starting lineup who came in and turned it around, particularly the attitude of the team, which actually did follow it up with a solid effort against Florida.

And they made the NCAAs the next year.

Yeah, they improved from 9-9 in the conference and just out of the NCAA tournament to 9-9 in the conference and just in the NCAA tournament (where they lost in the first round).

Hooray, I guess?

No. It should not be.

They voted against going in 1992. School forced them to go.
You think 1992 is even remotely relevant?

What if Jeffress, Lowe, Leggett, and Fede hit the portal? If Bub and Blake decide to focus on prepping for the NBA?

Now imagine the coaches already know that.

I get it. They fell short of their goal and didn’t want to play in the consolation tournament. It’s their decision and I respect it. But I’m disappointed not seeing these guys play together again. This was my favorite Pitt team in quite some time. Hopefully Bub wants to run it back and try again. H2P

Sure, we're disappointed Pitt isn't playing games in the NIT. But there was no guarantee that any of the stars of the team would even play. And this is just like an exhibition game and really means very little if anything.

Did you look at some of the records of the teams that are going to the NIT? There's at least 1 team with a losing record and many teams with less than 20 wins. And who can tell me who last year's NIT champion was without looking it up? It is irrelevant. It will be phased out soon.

Reactions: Black_Man_Panther
You think 1992 is even remotely relevant?

What if Jeffress, Lowe, Leggett, and Fede hit the portal? If Bub and Blake decide to focus on prepping for the NBA?

Now imagine the coaches already know that.
Yes. The status of the NIT is not much different as it was in '92. Teams declined back then as well.

The portal changes nothing. Players have until May 1st to put their name in.

And if the team was as close as they claim to be, they should want to play together as long as possible, try to go out on a high note, even if they all leave after.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chrush15
Sure, we're disappointed Pitt isn't playing games in the NIT. But there was no guarantee that any of the stars of the team would even play. And this is just like an exhibition game and really means very little if anything.

Did you look at some of the records of the teams that are going to the NIT? There's at least 1 team with a losing record and many teams with less than 20 wins. And who can tell me who last year's NIT champion was without looking it up? It is irrelevant. It will be phased out soon.
North Texas over UAB, and Xavier the year before.

Xavier has the losing record but is 64th in the NET.

That's true, I don't know. In '92 it was after though.

It still is not something for the players to vote on, IMO. And I completely disagree with Capel having the team do so.

You are right, Capel is the steward. And I am the steward of my support for the program. He made his call. And I will have to carefully think on mine.
Players always vote on these things. I usually agree with your posts, but this time I think you are way off. these kids got screwed! Why should they go out and help make money for the NIT and the NCAA. There is risk for injury so why play for nothing. Their hearts would not be in it. i have had season tickets for over 40 years and I am glad they refused.

Yes. I can’t stand people quitting on their teams when there’s a bowl game left. Doesn’t make them wrong, but I hate it. I want to see people finish what they started.
You recall that in KPs Covid season the team voted to not go to a bowl game. Shame these young men have minds of their own.

Reactions: Black_Man_Panther
No matter what I do, I can't have my name stricken from the media guide.

I will probably end up keeping my season tickets, even though it hasn't made financial sense for me to have them for many years now.
Then don’t renew. Are your season tickets a Sword of Damocles for Pitt? I didn’t think many people bought tickets to any sporting event because it made financial sense. I sure don’t. I can watch almost any game on some screen of some kind?
Just do us a favor…lets us know if you don’t renew. If you don’t renew then I’ll purchase 2 season tickets to give to a local
high school. I did it for Oakland Catholic and will again if you don’t renew.

Players always vote on these things. I usually agree with your posts, but this time I think you are way off. these kids got screwed! Why should they go out and help make money for the NIT and the NCAA. There is risk for injury so why play for nothing. Their hearts would not be in it. i have had season tickets for over 40 years and I am glad they refused.
You think the NIT makes money for the NCAA? Hardly any I'd imagine. The only reason they own it was to put an end to an antitrust lawsuit from the prior owner....because the NIT was going out of business. Pitt declining doesn't effect the NCAA one iota. They'll make the same amount of money regardless. Every year there are teams that feel snubbed. It's part of basketball. If you don't want to feel snubbed, stay the hell off the bubble. Thinking you are somehow punishing the NCAA for not inviting you is a foolish reason to turn it down and effectively a temper tantrum.

I vehemently disagree with the message it sends. You simply do not turn down opportunities to keep competing and work on your game, especially against quality, organized competition. You get over your disappointment about not getting something you think you were entitled to, and take the opportunity to prove something and just compete. No one is entitled to get what they want or think they deserve. That's life, now go make the best of it and prove people wrong. Not this group, they'd rather sulk.

Last edited:
You recall that in KPs Covid season the team voted to not go to a bowl game. Shame these young men have minds of their own.
Under the circumstances of COVID, I couldn't argue with that decision.

I don't view this similarly at all.

Then don’t renew. Are your season tickets a Sword of Damocles for Pitt? I didn’t think many people bought tickets to any sporting event because it made financial sense. I sure don’t. I can watch almost any game on some screen of some kind?
Just do us a favor…lets us know if you don’t renew. If you don’t renew then I’ll purchase 2 season tickets to give to a local
high school. I did it for Oakland Catholic and will again if you don’t renew.
Well that's extra motivation for me not to renew. I'm in club seats. They're going to love those.

Reactions: Saboteur II

If the teams that had winning records had decided to play there would be no sub 500 teams in the field.

It sure does for players who are adamant about not going the NIT. Go against their wishes and watch the other schools circle like vultures with their NIL offers
Other schools are going to be trying go after guys anyway, but you point is spot on.

Force these guys to play in some consolation tournament when they don't want to isn't the smartest thing to do with the portal wide open. It's just asking for trouble.

Don't worry they will all be wearing their Pitt colors 5 years from now. No regrets about a tournament they could have won. They will look great in those colors with the words "Best buy" embroidered on the shirts.

And that’s how it should be. Let the players decide. Forcing a kid to play in front of 3k people is going to have a reverse effect and leave a bad taste in their mouth.
And they wouldn't care anyways and most likely get blown out. Will Jeffress would play all 40 minutes too.

You think the NIT makes money for the NCAA? Hardly any I'd imagine. The only reason they own it was to put an end to an antitrust lawsuit from the prior owner....because the NIT was going out of business. Pitt declining doesn't effect the NCAA one iota. They'll make the same amount of money regardless. Every year there are teams that feel snubbed. It's part of basketball. If you don't want to feel snubbed, stay the hell off the bubble. Thinking you are somehow punishing the NCAA for not inviting you is a foolish reason to turn it down and effectively a temper tantrum.

I vehemently disagree with the message it sends. You simply do not turn down opportunities to keep competing and work on your game, especially against quality, organized competition. You get over your disappointment about not getting something you think you were entitled to, and take the opportunity to prove something and just compete. No one is entitled to get what they want or think they deserve. That's life, now go make the best of it and prove people wrong. Not this group, they'd rather sulk.
Sorry but this is ridiculous. You brought up 1992, things are much different now. Back then teams played, it's not like that now.

in 1992 A Big Mac, large fries and a drink cost $2,59
in 2024 it costs $18.00 in some McDonalds.

Different era sir.

Do you feel entitled and think you deserve to see Pitt in the NIT?
No. Rather, I think it is a terrible message to send to the players...young men... that quitting is an acceptable way to deal with disappointment.

Last edited:
Sorry but this is ridiculous. You brought up 1992, things are much different now. Back then teams played, it's not like that now.

in 1992 A Big Mac, large fries and a drink cost $2,59
in 2024 it costs $18.00 in some McDonalds.

Different era sir.
Yes, the inflation of the cost of a Big Mac meal is certainly relevant to the discussion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT