ADVERTISEMENT

The Buccos

And you spent what…10 milly? I would also add- you need Reynolds to get hot…and then trade him. He’s Enron stock.
Add Hayes. I wanted him traded after he recovered from his last back injury. Hope he gets healthy and hits.

Backs rarely get better over time.

Reactions: 303vND
Me too.I advocated trading him this past offseason. But now seeing him, I think Temarr Johnson, who probably has more trade cache should be moved in a package for a power bat at 1B or OF.

Well they're all easy to like when they're killing the ball, haha. Hopefully this can last.

Termarr does make sense to move, but they better not bring in a rental player for this season only. In my opinion, that would be an awful lack of self-awareness.

Being a former catcher a passed ball is definitely on the catcher .. Hated that term . Passed ball . Sucked . You knew it was an E2 ....
Not always on the catcher - he could have been crossed up looking for a different pitch.

True - but it may have a glitch now and then.

Yeah, but when it has a glitch the pitcher and the cacther know it, and one or the other tells the umpire and they fix it.

At this point, I think most cross ups are probably when the pitcher really wants to throw a certain pitch (or in a certain location) and they are so focused on that that when the catcher calls something else they basically don't hear it, and just throw what they wanted to. And that probably doesn't happen very often at all.

Yeah, but when it has a glitch the pitcher and the cacther know it, and one or the other tells the umpire and they fix it.

At this point, I think most cross ups are probably when the pitcher really wants to throw a certain pitch (or in a certain location) and they are so focused on that that when the catcher calls something else they basically don't hear it, and just throw what they wanted to. And that probably doesn't happen very often at all.
Well…that’s the glitch that can cause passed balls.

Can a guy who is a rookie with only 4 starts be your all-star? Not sure if there are really any other options. Keller? Holderman?

Can a guy who is a rookie with only 4 starts be your all-star? Not sure if there are really any other options. Keller? Holdermans?
Keller's current stats put him at 18-9 3.59 era projected for the year..so he will do...

Can a guy who is a rookie with only 4 starts be your all-star?... uh, no, but a guy who is a rookie with 8 or 9 starts when the actual selection occurs can...

How bout our buccos! Playing into the 13th inning and haven't had a hit since the 6th inning. They continue to invent new ways to blow games. Tonight, Bae loses a ball in the lights allowing the only Toronto run to score and tie the game.

I think the tie game EI format sucks ...

I guess I can understand doing it during the covid season, but there is no reason to have continued that past then. Just play baseball. If playing too much baseball is a problem (and hey, with teams only carrying seven relief pitchers I can see why it might be :rolleyes: ), then if a game goes 14 or 15 innings or something like that and it's still tied, just call it a tie and send everyone home.

I guess I can understand doing it during the covid season, but there is no reason to have continued that past then. Just play baseball. If playing too much baseball is a problem (and hey, with teams only carrying seven relief pitchers I can see why it might be :rolleyes: ), then if a game goes 14 or 15 innings or something like that and it's still tied, just call it a tie and send everyone home.
Joe . While I generally agree with your posts but .. During Covid season ?
What does that even mean ? They Play Outdoors for goodness sake ...
I might have missed something but , were they all playing with the pathetic masks on ? Why was baseball altered because of this ?

Saw that Pride Night is coming up at PNC Park. Does anybody know if they'll let me in wearing my rainbow thong with my yellow duckie boots? Nothing else, of course, save for possibly a pair of fab shades. I figure if people can paint their chests and go shirtless...

Anyway the fact remains inspite of the reason , I think they need to go back to the old way . IMO...

Joe . While I generally agree with your posts but .. During Covid season ?
What does that even mean ? They Play Outdoors for goodness sake ...
I might have missed something but , were they all playing with the pathetic masks on ? Why was baseball altered because of this ?

It means that during the covid season there were no minor league games being played, so it wasn't as easy to potentially replace guys who got hurt. And of course with covid and some players missing games because of that there was already the potential for the need for an increased number of pitchers. So you could at least make an argument that teams couldn't afford the need for many extra pitchers, so playing games that lasted really long would be more of a hardship than normal.

They continue to do it because they just don't like long games. And I don't mean long so much in terms of time in this case as opposed to long in terms of innings.

Former Bucco Tucupita Marcano is facing a lifetime ban from baseball. MLB apparently has evidence that last year, when he was on the Pirates' disabled list he bet on Pirates' games.

I’ve seen enough after tonight. Regardless of whether we win or lose this game (or even this series), we need to go all-in this summer, and the next couple summers. I think we’re witnessing the start of the greatest 1-2 pitching duo in franchise history. Need to make the most of it while they’re here.

I’ve seen enough after tonight. Regardless of whether we win or lose this game (or even this series), we need to go all-in this summer, and the next couple summers. I think we’re witnessing the start of the greatest 1-2 pitching duo in franchise history. Need to make the most of it while they’re here.

Ironically, last night was also a feather in the cap for those who don't like to give up on prospects, as Glasnow has had an excellent post-Pittsburgh career.

It would be nice to keep the farm system in tact and just go out and sign a $15M bat and a $25M bat (stop me if you're laughing too hard) to put around Hayes, Reynolds, Cruz, Endy, etc. But that ain't happening. They could probably get a AAA/some MLB service outfielder type for Falter if they concede this year and mark next year as the beginning of their contending window. But let's be honest - it would probably be another Olivares/Taylor, not another Reynolds.

Ironically, last night was also a feather in the cap for those who don't like to give up on prospects, as Glasnow has had an excellent post-Pittsburgh career.

It would be nice to keep the farm system in tact and just go out and sign a $15M bat and a $25M bat (stop me if you're laughing too hard) to put around Hayes, Reynolds, Cruz, Endy, etc. But that ain't happening. They could probably get a AAA/some MLB service outfielder type for Falter if they concede this year and mark next year as the beginning of their contending window. But let's be honest - it would probably be another Olivares/Taylor, not another Reynolds.
Saw an interesting potential trade for the Pirates right now.
The Orioles lost 2 SP to Tommy John and are running a platoon at 1B.

They need pitching. Pirates send Priester and Hunter Barco to Baltimore for LH hitting 1B Ryan O'Hearn.

Win win for both teams. O'Hearn has a club option for '25 so it is more than a one year deal. He could platoon with Joe, solve the Roundy Tellez problem.

Makes a lot of sense, so the PIrates won't do it.

Saw an interesting potential trade for the Pirates right now.
The Orioles lost 2 SP to Tommy John and are running a platoon at 1B.

They need pitching. Pirates send Priester and Hunter Barco to Baltimore for LH hitting 1B Ryan O'Hearn.

Win win for both teams. O'Hearn has a club option for '25 so it is more than a one year deal. He could platoon with Joe, solve the Roundy Tellez problem.

Makes a lot of sense, so the PIrates won't do it.

I can't stand Priester, so if anyone wants him I'd be happy to part with him. Admittedly, I don't know much about Barco, though.

Edit: Just looked up Barco's stats. I wouldn't trade him. I love right-handed power pitchers with high K numbers.

... which is why I can't stand Priester, the "crafty" righty. Greg Maddux he ain't.

Last edited:
Reactions: HailToPitt725
I can't stand Priester, so if anyone wants him I'd be happy to part with him. Admittedly, I don't know much about Barco, though.

Edit: Just looked up Barco's stats. I wouldn't trade him. I love right-handed power pitchers with high K numbers.

... which is why I can't stand Priester, the "crafty" righty. Greg Maddux he ain't.
At this point, to get something you have to give up something.
They totally blew the off season with dud acquisitions.
Trading is the only thing left to help this team.

As noted above, the sooner the better because the clock is ticking on Jones and Skenes.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
At this point, to get something you have to give up something.
They totally blew the off season with dud acquisitions.
Trading is the only thing left to help this team.

As noted above, the sooner the better because the clock is ticking on Jones and Skenes.

I'm just not ready to do it as soon as this season. I just think we'll be a better team next season and the one after that, so if we're going to get a guy who only has a year or two of control, you might as well wait until we're peaking. Especially when you take into account that our record already puts us behind the 8-ball a bit.

I'm just not ready to do it as soon as this season. I just think we'll be a better team next season and the one after that, so if we're going to get a guy who only has a year or two of control, you might as well wait until we're peaking. Especially when you take into account that our record already puts us behind the 8-ball a bit.
1.5 games back of the WC. Even if they keep playing at this clip and they don’t get going for another month or two, there’s still hope that the team will peak by September and be playing their best ball heading into the playoffs.

How’s that for a “good for nutting take”?

1.5 games back of the WC. Even if they keep playing at this clip and they don’t get going for another month or two, there’s still hope that the team will peak by September and be playing their best ball heading into the playoffs.

Even if the Buccos squeak into the post-season, I cannot see this year as being our year. Our peak is probably two years from now and any moves should be made with that in mind.

There are only two teams in the NL who aren't within 4 games of a wildcard spot, lol. I just think we can do better with a full season of Skenes, getting Endy back, hopefully acquiring some better bats than we did this past offseason in free agency, etc.

I do understand there is some give and take to that, such as losing Falter. This just doesn't feel like a good lineup at all, and I don't know that one guy would change that.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
There are only two teams in the NL who aren't within 4 games of a wildcard spot, lol. I just think we can do better with a full season of Skenes, getting Endy back, hopefully acquiring some better bats than we did this past offseason in free agency, etc.

I do understand there is some give and take to that, such as losing Falter. This just doesn't feel like a good lineup at all, and I don't know that one guy would change that.
They will shut down Skenes and Jones late summer so I don't expect any moves to go for it this year. Next year should be when they look to do this, but it is the Pirates, so who knows.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT