ADVERTISEMENT

The Buccos

They will shut down Skenes and Jones late summer so I don't expect any moves to go for it this year. Next year should be when they look to do this, but it is the Pirates, so who knows.

Very good point, and that's definitely something else to consider. I know the fans don't want to hear it, but going in on the next few seasons after this one seems like the more prudent thing to do.

Saw an interesting potential trade for the Pirates right now.
The Orioles lost 2 SP to Tommy John and are running a platoon at 1B.

They need pitching. Pirates send Priester and Hunter Barco to Baltimore for LH hitting 1B Ryan O'Hearn.

Win win for both teams. O'Hearn has a club option for '25 so it is more than a one year deal. He could platoon with Joe, solve the Roundy Tellez problem.

Makes a lot of sense, so the PIrates won't do it.
I also read that the White Sox are open to trading Luis Robert Jr… that makes a lot of sense for both sides.

Dominant starting pitching is what typically gets you through the early rounds of the playoffs. With what we have anything is possible.

They will shut down Skenes and Jones late summer so I don't expect any moves to go for it this year. Next year should be when they look to do this, but it is the Pirates, so who knows.
If the Pirates are in wild-card contention, why would they do that?

After this season, do they have Skenes/Jones for 5 more, or 6? If it’s five, and you are Ben Cherington, do you try to tie them up long-term? Maybe eight years, $140 million? That number ain’t gonna get it done in the next few years, but it might now. Is it a gamble? Sure it is. But, it would save the Pirates a ton of money, which they always like to do. And it would make Skenes/Jones filthy rich now.

If the Pirates are in wild-card contention, why would they do that?
Because with this bullpen and these bats, I don't care how good the starting pitching is, we aren't winning a world championship. The hope is that within a couple years, we have some more holes plugged -- and still have Jones, Skenes, and Keller at the top of the pitching line-up.

Because with this bullpen and these bats, I don't care how good the starting pitching is, we aren't winning a world championship. The hope is that within a couple years, we have some more holes plugged -- and still have Jones, Skenes, and Keller at the top of the pitching line-up.
You can make moves to improve this team while the starting pitching is this good. You're talking about a franchise that hasn't won anything of significance since Jimmy Carter's administration, shutting it down with a wild card birth on the line is idiotic.

Innings count. They aren't going to let them pitch 180 innings this year.
Winning counts - you can't baby these guys - you have a chance to go to the playoffs, you don't punt on a season because you're pitch counting.

Winning counts - you can't baby these guys - you have a chance to go to the playoffs, you don't punt on a season because you're pitch counting.
It is a done deal. It has already been discussed and decided on by management. The only thing we don't know is when they hit the agreed upon number of innings which Pirate management has not yet disclosed.

You can make moves to improve this team while the starting pitching is this good. You're talking about a franchise that hasn't won anything of significance since Jimmy Carter's administration, shutting it down with a wild card birth on the line is idiotic.
If winning three division championships in the 90s isn't something of significance in your eyes, then this year's team isn't winning anything significant. Maybe they make the wild card round, maybe win that, but will lose in one of the next two series. They won't win the pennant this year.

It's idiotic to trade a piece that could turn into a contributor a year or two from now for a rent-a-player this year.

If winning three division championships in the 90s isn't something of significance in your eyes, then this year's team isn't winning anything significant. Maybe they make the wild card round, maybe win that, but will lose in one of the next two series. They won't win the pennant this year.

It's idiotic to trade a piece that could turn into a contributor a year or two from now for a rent-a-player this year.
WOW...I said significant - no one gives a flip about division championships. And I'll wait until this year's team is either eliminated or headed to the playoffs before I pass judgment.

And who said it has to be a rent a player? You're not precluded from trading for a long term player.

WOW...I said significant - no one gives a flip about division championships. And I'll wait until this year's team is either eliminated or headed to the playoffs before I pass judgment.
I know they can improve as the year goes on, and I hope they do, but I just see too many warts with this team. Too inconsistent at the plate, too many many bullpen letdowns, not great defense, and bad coaching. Maybe we make improvements in some of those areas but the odds of all of those categories rising to a level good enough to win the National League is probably less than 1%. Coaching might be the area that gives me the least hope with this team.

I know they can improve as the year goes on, and I hope they do, but I just see too many warts with this team. Too inconsistent at the plate, too many many bullpen letdowns, not great defense, and bad coaching. Maybe we make improvements in some of those areas but the odds of all of those categories rising to a level good enough to win the National League is probably less than 1%. Coaching might be the area that gives me the least hope with this team.
One middle of the lineup hitter and one decent arm in the bullpen would go a long way in improving their chances. I echo your concern about the coaching...Shelton seems to miss on a lot of elementary things - it's like he doesn't have a feel for the game.

Funny I was watching the Dodgers broadcast yesterday and the announcers were saying the Pirates would not be a team you want to face in the playoffs in a short series with Jones and Skenes.

Funny I was watching the Dodgers broadcast yesterday and the announcers were saying the Pirates would not be a team you want to face in the playoffs in a short series with Jones and Skenes.
yes, quite funny because no one will have to face them in the play-offs..............

yes, quite funny because no one will have to face them in the play-offs...........

Ha, yeah. They are still +680 to make the playoffs on FanDual. Sounds like easy money for some people on this thread. That said, those aren't terrible odds, at all. 2nd and 3rd wild card spots are wide open. I'm sure the Cubs, Padres, Giants...one of them make a big trade. Maybe a team gets hot naturally...but there's no reason the Pirates can't hang around.

but there's no reason the Pirates can't hang around.
right, but there is a reason they won't win , ownership will not change to win, it(winning, getting over a hump, etc,) is not part of the equation for Nutting...

I realize I am blinded by dislike for the lack of respect that ownership/management and their media/propaganda employees have for Pirate fans, but it is not going to happen.
They are millions (but no all that far away) from having an adequate platooner first baseman, an above average fielding shortstop (to go with that good pitching staff), and a better duo behind the plate....but the money will stay with Nutting

Ha, yeah. They are still +680 to make the playoffs on FanDual. Sounds like easy money for some people on this thread. That said, those aren't terrible odds, at all. 2nd and 3rd wild card spots are wide open. I'm sure the Cubs, Padres, Giants...one of them make a big trade. Maybe a team gets hot naturally...but there's no reason the Pirates can't hang around.
That’s why I’m in favor of them going all-in beginning *this* season. This team could easily earn the final Wild card spot and with the starting pitching we now possess, who knows what you can do in a best-of-three (and eventually best-of-five) series. Why not go after a bat like Luis Robert who could provide a much-needed complement to this team?

That’s why I’m in favor of them going all-in beginning *this* season. This team could easily earn the final Wild card spot and with the starting pitching we now possess, who knows what you can do in a best-of-three (and eventually best-of-five) series. Why not go after a bat like Luis Robert who could provide a much-needed complement to this team?
But you still need to win a best of 7 series to win the NL. And then another best of 7 series to win a world championship.

I laid out reasons above, but I don't see this as a team that can "easily" earn the final wild card spot. I know Nutting and the Bucco fans are all excited at the moment because we beat the Dodgers twice. It is certainly a possibility we get a wild card, but it will not be easy from what I see of this team/set of coaches, and even if you make the post-season, the odds are extremely long of doing anything noteworthy this post-season.

Maybe because Suwinski is from Chicago the White Sox would have unusual interest in him and another relatively minor piece in exchange for Roberts? But I would not be willing to give up much. I'd rather us not give up the next Meadows and Glasnow, yet (speaking of Meadows, what is his deal?). Maybe two years from now I'd get rid of the future and go all-in, but this year isn't the year IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: HailToPitt725
This Heller guy is oozing potential. I don't think that first run counts in extras, so he was able to keep his ERA at sub 50 (49.5 by my math), come Heller high water. Not bad.

• Wow
Reactions: 303vND
This Heller guy is oozing potential. I don't think that first run counts in extras, so he was able to keep his ERA at sub 50 (49.5 by my math), come Heller high water. Not bad.

I think you can see why, even though he is 32 and has spent time with several other organizations, and that he first pitched in the majors in 2016, and yet after today still has only pitched 51 major league innings.

If he's not DFA'd tomorrow by the time the team is leaving for St. Louis something is wrong.

I think you can see why, even though he is 32 and has spent time with several other organizations, and that he first pitched in the majors in 2016, and yet after today still has only pitched 51 major league innings.

If he's not DFA'd tomorrow by the time the team is leaving for St. Louis something is wrong.
That was brutal to watch. He should have left straight for the bus station…don’t even bother to shower.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
The Bucs were officially robbed of a win today. The home plate umpire called this a passed ball, leading to a Twins run:

Instead of a 4-3 victory, the game was 4-4 after nine and the Twins proceeded to score 7 runs in the 10th.
Wow - can't believe that is not a reviewable play. The other thing I wonder about is did MLB change the rules and only have a home plate umpire. What were the other base umps watching that they didn't see a foul ball?

He can carpool with Suwinski and Davis.

The Bucs were officially robbed of a win today. The home plate umpire called this a passed ball, leading to a Twins run:

Instead of a 4-3 victory, the game was 4-4 after nine and the Twins proceeded to score 7 runs in the 10th.

I didn't see that play, but I was pretty disappointed McCutchen didn't score on that Reynolds double. Might have been out, but it would have taken two good throws.

Of course, I also forget if he eventually scored anyway, ha, so this might be moot.

Wow - can't believe that is not a reviewable play. The other thing I wonder about is did MLB change the rules and only have a home plate umpire. What were the other base umps watching that they didn't see a foul ball?
Right? Not only was there a clear change in direction, but I’m pretty sure you could hear the ball make contact with that bat. We should protest, although it probably wouldn’t do anything.

Even if he is DFA'd, something is wrong. This is why I say, even as well as a bunch of them may play, the Pirates are going nowhere, the fact is there are too many "AAA" players on the roster and in the end ,games like these once every 10 days won't allow them to make the P.O's, IMO. A complete MLB roster they have a shot, but refusing to pay bonafide ML players makes it too hard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pittisit4me

I've said a few times they need a new coaching staff. Shelton seems like a good guy but he lacks the intensity that this team needs in order to turn the corner. He should have blown a fuse after this horrible call. I don't care how much talent the Pirates accumulate, I don't think Shelton is the right guy to lead this team going forward and I'm going to be a skeptic until they make a change.

I've said a few times they need a new coaching staff. Shelton seems like a good guy but he lacks the intensity that this team needs in order to turn the corner. He should have blown a fuse after this horrible call. I don't care how much talent the Pirates accumulate, I don't think Shelton is the right guy to lead this team going forward and I'm going to be a skeptic until they make a change.
I thought the exact same thing! Hurdle had his faults, but he would’ve made Lloyd McClendon blush today if he were manger.

Shelton seems like a good guy
Many mid-managers that seem like "good guys "out in the workforce, but in the 45+ years of working various jobs as a laborer, in general they are worthless. They really don't care about anything but making their own jobs easier. No hassles, but in the end, the workers that are conscientious get screwed. Would you be happy to be on a team with no fire, and just happy to be there? These types of managers(not just in baseball) are losers, IMO

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT