ADVERTISEMENT

The genius that is Brennan Marion

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
9-2

Plays for division championship vs San Jose State next week. If they win that and the MWC championship, they probably go to the Peach Bowl if Tulane were to lose another game.

Reactions: 303vND
It’s no secret I’m a big fan of Marion, and he’ll be at a top school as an OC soon enough. He’s just a shooting star in the coaching ranks, and Pitt was lucky to have him for the short time they did. I still can’t believe he wanted the OC job so much, he was telling recruits he was the guy and Narduzzi said hold up, I got this guy Frank Cignetti, and he’s way better.

It’s no secret I’m a big fan of Marion, and he’ll be at a top school as an OC soon enough. He’s just a shooting star in the coaching ranks, and Pitt was lucky to have him for the short time they did. I still can’t believe he wanted the OC job so much, he was telling recruits he was the guy and Narduzzi said hold up, I got this guy Frank Cignetti, and he’s way better.
Talk about revisionist history.

"We've got better people in those positions now, I guarantee you that."

Is it, though? There were a lot of us who wanted Marion to take over for Whipple after the ACC Championship.
I would have preferred Marion as well, but there was a very deliberate reason why he was not chosen. IMHO, Marion handled the entire situation wrong when he was at PITT then he trashed the program on his way out. There was a considerable amount of collateral damage and he sowed seeds of discontent with the current players. Based on his character in this situation, I was happy he was not picked.

9-2

Plays for division championship vs San Jose State next week. If they win that and the MWC championship, they probably go to the Peach Bowl if Tulane were to lose another game.
He's so good he went from Texas to ... UNLV. I guess the 130 other D1 schools not named Pitt, Texas and UNLV whiffed on this future College Hall of Fame coach.

Reactions: PittMan2003
He's so good he went from Texas to ... UNLV. I guess the 130 other D1 schools not named Pitt, Texas and UNLV whiffed on this future College Hall of Fame coach.
Maybe those other 130 D1 schools did miss on him...we'll see.

Reactions: jaebree422
I was 100% fine with not promoting him after 2021. We had a "win now" team, so it made sense not to roll the dice on someone who had never done it at this level before. And then his shenanigans on social media were just the icing on the cake.

Does it look bad now? Of course. But that doesn't make it the wrong decision at the time. Hiring Cignetti was obviously the wrong decision, but that doesn't mean not hiring Marion was.

I'd love to give Marion a look now, with a year of G5 experience under his belt, but I assume that ship has sailed, capsized, and spontaneously combusted.

Talk about revisionist history.
Is it though? Replace "Cignetti" with "Salem" and that's pretty much what I heard happened.

The gist that I heard was that he wanted to interview before the bowl game and Duzz shut him down and said that the process would play out after the season ended. Then he chose Salem to call the plays for the bowl game which made it pretty clear that he had no intention of promoting Marion.

Is it though? Replace "Cignetti" with "Salem" and that's pretty much what I heard happened.

The gist that I heard was that he wanted to interview before the bowl game and Duzz shut him down and said that the process would play out after the season ended. Then he chose Salem to call the plays for the bowl game which made it pretty clear that he had no intention of promoting Marion.
I'd prefer to move on and talk about getting Mike Shanahan to PITT.

I would have preferred Marion as well, but there was a very deliberate reason why he was not chosen. IMHO, Marion handled the entire situation wrong when he was at PITT then he trashed the program on his way out. There was a considerable amount of collateral damage and he sowed seeds of discontent with the current players. Based on his character in this situation, I was happy he was not picked.
I don’t know enough about what happened to defend him, so I’m not going to defend him or his actions on the way out. The much bigger issue at Pitt is that 1 maybe 2 of Narduzzi’s OC hires have been good. Presumably, Cignetti is gone after the Duke game, but what confidence is there Narduzzi is going to pick a good OC this time? At some point, Narduzzi has to be held accountable for poor OC hires. I don’t think Heather is going to do it, so who will? I just see this as a philosophical issue as what Narduzzi believes will help him win is light years away from the reality of what does win in College Football.

I don’t know enough about what happened to defend him, so I’m not going to defend him or his actions on the way out. The much bigger issue at Pitt is that 1 maybe 2 of Narduzzi’s OC hires have been good. Presumably, Cignetti is gone after the Duke game, but what confidence is there Narduzzi is going to pick a good OC this time? At some point, Narduzzi has to be held accountable for poor OC hires. I don’t think Heather is going to do it, so who will? I just see this as a philosophical issue as what Narduzzi believes will help him win is light years away from the reality of what does win in College Football.
Lol. Talent is what works well in college football. That's the main issue with the offense.

Duzz does not get along with his OCs and if he does...the guy stinks. Jim Chaney was a very good OC who did not take Duzz's crap and he was out after one year. Canada was a good OC who had some strong talent around him and could not pass up LSU. Watson was a total disaster. Whipple was more like Chaney and did not need Duzz or his attitude. I think we saw a common theme here. I am a Duzz fan but he needs work in this area.

Duzz does not get along with his OCs and if he does...the guy stinks. Jim Chaney was a very good OC who did not take Duzz's crap and he was out after one year. Canada was a good OC who had some strong talent around him and could not pass up LSU. Watson was a total disaster. Whipple was more like Chaney and did not need Duzz or his attitude. I think we saw a common theme here. I am a Duzz fan but he needs work in this area.
I don't know that this is Duzz thing. I wouldn't read too much into a 30 second sound bite

Coordinators just don't stick around long. That's pretty much true everywhere.

Reactions: Tanat and jivecat
9-2

Last I heard Pitt fans were crucifying him. That being said I wouldn’t mind seeing him here

I was 100% fine with not promoting him after 2021. We had a "win now" team, so it made sense not to roll the dice on someone who had never done it at this level before. And then his shenanigans on social media were just the icing on the cake.

Does it look bad now? Of course. But that doesn't make it the wrong decision at the time. Hiring Cignetti was obviously the wrong decision, but that doesn't mean not hiring Marion was.

I'd love to give Marion a look now, with a year of G5 experience under his belt, but I assume that ship has sailed, capsized, and spontaneously combusted.
This is a solid take and post. Doesn't matter because Marion's publicist SMF, and a few of his cousins, will continue to start a few threads a week about him. Dude spent a total of 10 months here.

What is the fascination with this coach? He changes jobs every year so either every team that hires him does do enough to retain him or he just likes moving!

That's crazy to think Addison would make Pitt 11-1. Pretty sure I saw Addison play in the Peach Bowl whan Pitt lost by 10.

Even if a Pitt has went 12-0 or 11-1, that's nothing to build on. You don't "build on" the success of past teams. TCU isn't going to build a damn thing off their Natty game appearance. Neither is Cincinnati isn't going to build off their playoff appearance.

Programs that sustain success are programs that feed the recruiting machine 24/7.

That's crazy to think Addison would make Pitt 11-1. Pretty sure I saw Addison play in the Peach Bowl whan Pitt lost by 10.

Even if a Pitt has went 12-0 or 11-1, that's nothing to build on. You don't "build on" the success of past teams. TCU isn't going to build a damn thing off their Natty game appearance. Neither is Cincinnati isn't going to build off their playoff appearance.

Programs that sustain success are programs that feed the recruiting machine 24/7.
Pitt legitimately bragged to recruits about winning 20 games the last 2 years. They did the same thing you’re saying doesn’t work, and maybe it doesn’t, because I don’t think 1 recruit cared about that. Point being, Pitt tried building on the success of past teams.

Pitt legitimately bragged to recruits about winning 20 games the last 2 years. They did the same thing you’re saying doesn’t work, and maybe it doesn’t, because I don’t think 1 recruit cared about that. Point being, Pitt tried building on the success of past teams.
Yeah, it's just another selling point to add to many others.

And it was a selling point being made to another pool of mostly 3* type guys.

Who was throwing to Addison at the Peach Bowl?

We beat GT and Lou guaranteed with him. 100% guaranteed. Probably split Ten/UNC. Maybe we win both.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Then you see the idiocy of thinking the coordinator hire has anything to do with his decision.

It was a business decision, and a chance to play in LA with Caleb.
He loves dead horses... If playing for a coach was so important, why didn't he go to Austin?

Reactions: TD_6082
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT