ADVERTISEMENT

Thiero

I’m hard pressed to figure out what he does. He appears to be a guard/wing that doesn’t shoot the 3. Undersized if used at the 4.

This isn’t meant as a criticism, just that it’s hard to pin down his role.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
I’m hard pressed to figure out what he does. He appears to be a guard/wing that doesn’t shoot the 3. Undersized if used at the 4.

This isn’t meant as a criticism, just that it’s hard to pin down his role.
Not undersized at all. He played 4 often for UK this year. This would be a very good get even if his offense is not good. But I expect his offense to continue to improve. He has an elite motor and is a well above average defender and rebounder.

Not undersized at all. He played 4 often for UK this year. This would be a very good get even if his offense is not good. But I expect his offense to continue to improve. He has an elite motor and is a well above average defender and rebounder.
I was basing on sports reference site, where he’s listed as a 6”6 guard.

He is a dog.
Part of what he wants is to play more sf to prepare for the NBA.
So, he almost assuredly is going to start at sf.
He will get the opportunity to take more threes in HCJCs offense, we will see if he can hit them at solid rate. Not saying he will be Hinson w it, but NO ONE, even Hinson himself thought he was going to turn into the three shooter he became at Pitt.
I too was a but meh on him, but have warned up a lot to the idea that they can use a lineup of Lowe, Ish, Dunn, Thiero and Corhen to close games out.
If this works out this team will be long, athletic and tough, could be pdg.

He is a dog.
He will get the opportunity to take more threes in HCJCs offense, we will see if he can hit them at solid rate. Not saying he will be Hinson w it, but NO ONE, even Hinson himself thought he was going to turn into the three shooter he became at Pitt.
I too was a but meh on him, but have warned up a lot to the idea that they can use a lineup of Lowe, Ish, Dunn, Thiero and Corhen to close games out.
I think he’ll still play 4 here, but he’ll have every opportunity to get ready for the NBA!

Reactions: Jeffburgh
He is a dog.
That lineup you described would be the best a lineup has looked going into a season since Capel has been here. Only time will tell if it ends up being that way.

That lineup you described would be the best a lineup has looked going into a season since Capel has been here. Only time will tell if it ends up being that way.
7 for 21 on 3s last season. Too few attempts to really know how he would do if he regularly shot 5-6 3s per game? Might shoot a higher % on a lot more volume?

7 for 21 on 3s last season. Too few attempts to really know how he would do if he regularly shot 5-6 3s per game? Might shoot a higher % on a lot more volume?

There are certainly exceptions, but most people who shoot 22 threes for a whole season who then go on to shoot 5-6 threes per game the next season do NOT shoot a significantly higher percentage on a lot more volume. Because if you only shoot 22 threes all season it's pretty likely that almost all of those 22 shots were when you were wide open. And that isn't going to be the case if you are taking 5 or 6 of them a game.

There are certainly exceptions, but most people who shoot 22 threes for a whole season who then go on to shoot 5-6 threes per game the next season do NOT shoot a significantly higher percentage on a lot more volume. Because if you only shoot 22 threes all season it's pretty likely that almost all of those 22 shots were when you were wide open. And that isn't going to be the case if you are taking 5 or 6 of them a game.
We are going to need to be a different team in some respects without Blake. Not only the 110 threes but the court spacing Blake afforded us. Even if we get Thiero, he’s only going to shoot something like 50 threes.

We are going to need to be a different team in some respects without Blake. Not only the 110 threes but the court spacing Blake afforded us. Even if we get Thiero, he’s only going to shoot something like 50 threes.
But not having Fede also helps. Having a legit inside scoring threat will help. Thiero would also be another option. They were a bubble team with Blake’s 110 threes. But they will be much deeper and well rounded than last year regarding scoring threats. Why take a shot with 35 percent chance of falling vs one that likely goes in at a 60 percent chance.

Reactions: Sam Bam Clancy
Well that is one assumption as to why there were only 22 attempts. It could be equally likely that most of those attempts were desperation attempts taken by necessity at the end of the shot clock. This was my assumption. Can't know which scenario is correct without further research.

Well that is one assumption as to why there were only 22 attempts. It could be equally likely that most of those attempts were desperation attempts taken by necessity at the end of the shot clock. This was my assumption. Can't know which scenario is correct without further research.

If you think he was good enough to make, say 38-40% of his threes but Kentucky decided that they didn't want him shooting any of them anyway, well, let's just say that that is so unlikely that I'm not going to believe it. They had a guy who took 85 threes for them at 36.5%. You don't think that if Thiero could hit them at a better percentage than that that his coaches wouldn't have been happy for him to do so?

Did I say anything about Thiero having potential to shoot 3s at any particular percentage rate? I was only raising the possibility he might under the right conditions be able to do better than a 7/22 rate. Even 34-35 % would be decent.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
But not having Fede also helps. Having a legit inside scoring threat will help. Thiero would also be another option. They were a bubble team with Blake’s 110 threes. But they will be much deeper and well rounded than last year regarding scoring threats. Why take a shot with 35 percent chance of falling vs one that likely goes in at a 60 percent chance.

This year's team was almost solely reliant on whether Blake lit it up from 3. Carrington's mid-range game was pretty consistent but we lived or died too much with the 3 point shot. If Thiero comes to Pitt, it may be one of our weakest 3 point shooting lineups in awhile but also maybe our most talented since 2010-11. Lowe and Thiero are guys who can make the NBA. Leggett and Dunn are legit scorers. Corhen will be our best offensive post player since Blair and that includes 7 PPG Steven Adams who they never passed the ball to. The big weakness could be rebounding but if they get that squared away, its a team that could sneak into the Final Four or miss the NCAAT again. All the teams have pretty much equal talent nowadays with the mass redistribution every year.

Couldn't make a late push to get him to visit Malibu? Seriously, Pepperdine should be one of the very best mid-majors. Gonzaga good? Obviously not. St. Mary's good? Yes, they should be.
Don’t have the same cash as Gonzaga my guy. I have some dudes I am bringing in… and who I can’t afford… passing to good PITTlaces before i send elsewhere

Don’t have the same cash as Gonzaga my guy. I have some dudes I am bringing in… and who I can’t afford… passing to good PITTlaces before i send elsewhere

Of course not Gonzaga but Pepperdine should be St. Mary's. Maybe not quite to the level as SMC because Bennett is an elite coach but the Waves have been punching below their weight for a few decades now. I thought Romar the recruitinator would get it done but nope.

The same guy on that board that said he was headed to Baylor now recanted and said it’s not UNC because Pitt is making a hard push for him. So I think it may be settling in for them!

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
The same guy on that board that said he was headed to Baylor now recanted and said it’s not UNC because Pitt is making a hard push for him. So I think it may be settling in for them!
They think they can’t compete with our bag.

Yes really.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT