ADVERTISEMENT

This COULD go very bad

gary2

Athletic Director
Jul 21, 2001
If Pitt pursues the "firing for cause" and loses, they will have to pay the entire buyout and legal fees. Pitt will also take an additional hit to their public image.

If Lyke hires a crony (like she has shown a propensity to do and media speculation is feeding) in Matta or Jent and it goes bad, it looks like Barnes all over again.

Matta gets labeled Stallings II: An old, tired, burned out retread in decline. (Stallings with a better record in a better league but with a bad back)

Jent gets labeled a "Why did you do that?" choice. Why make a hire with no college Head Coaching experience? Why do something that chancy when you need to correct a major mistake?

These are certainly very risky paths to pursue.

It also could go very well.

Cronyism is mostly bad when you hire an incompetent. If cronyism lands us a competent coach, nobody will care. Well, apparently, almost nobody.

Reactions: Pitt-Chains
If Pitt pursues the "firing for cause" and loses, they will have to pay the entire buyout and legal fees. Pitt will also take an additional hit to their public image.

If Lyke hires a crony (like she has shown a propensity to do and media speculation is feeding) in Matta or Jent and it goes bad, it looks like Barnes all over again.

Matta gets labeled Stallings II: An old, tired, burned out retread in decline. (Stallings with a better record in a better league but with a bad back)

Jent gets labeled a "Why did you do that?" choice. Why make a hire with no college Head Coaching experience? Why do something that chancy when you need to correct a major mistake?

It will never go to court. Never. It will be settled for a figure nobody will ever know because both parties will sign a NDA. Promise.

Reactions: PittBV
It will never go to court. Never. It will be settled for a figure nobody will ever know because both parties will sign a NDA. Promise.
That would undoubtedly be the cause minus animosity. I am not sure major animosity has not been created.

It is very likely Stallings prevails for the entire amount plus legal fees if this goes to court.

That is if this even gets to court and is not dismissed as frivolous.

Last edited:
Considering that firing someone for "Cause" is a HR matter and will be confidential we will never hear anything but rumors.

Big difference between Stallings and Matta.

Agree - Past Record and Back

If Matta returns to coaching we will see if he is a tired. old, burned out retread(with a bad back) in decline or a successful rejuvenation.

It also could go very well.

Cronyism is mostly bad when you hire an incompetent. If cronyism lands us a competent coach, nobody will care. Well, apparently, almost nobody.
I agree - It could go extremely well (maybe that is even the Lykely result)

People would then characterize it as networking: the way business works (some here have already done that)

Reactions: ScrantonicityIII
What is the risk really? We aren't even one of the top 100 programs in the country and may well be the worst Power 5. Penn friggin' State has surpassed us. There is no realistic hire out there who will instantly get us out of this pit, not even Matta. This is going to be hard and painful and our fan base, media and university administration are far too fragile and or foolish to deal with pain in any constructive manner.

What is the risk really? We aren't even one of the top 100 programs in the country and may well be the worst Power 5. Penn friggin' State has surpassed us. There is no realistic hire out there who will instantly get us out of this pit, not even Matta. This is going to be hard and painful and our fan base, media and university administration are far too fragile and or foolish to deal with pain in any constructive manner.

We aren't a Top 100 team, currently. As a PROGRAM, I believe we are Top 40ish

Absolutely agree there is no worse than 0-19. But: There needs to be serious consideration of where we go from here.

I know much of what I posted is based on media speculation, but a firing for cause stance (even if just a negotiating tactic) and a possible crony hire, don't appear to me to be the directions to take after that serious consideration.

Gary2. Stallings was Pitt's worst coach since 1902, three years before the first metal rim was invented to replace peach baskets (not joking.)

I don't get the point of carrying this much water for him. I gave the guy a chance. I was excited when we beat Maryland. But it's been an endless debacle ever since.

What are you getting out of this? Some sort of needed attention? I've never been a jerk to you so please don't take this the wrong way, but it's really sort of out of control at this point.

WOW. We fired the worst coach in the history of Pitt athletics.
Then, Then .... It could go bad from here ?

That would undoubtedly be the cause minus animosity. I am not sure major animosity has not been created.

It is very likely Stallings prevails for the entire amount plus legal fees if this goes to court.

Wrong.

lol...I love it.

Gary2. Stallings was Pitt's worst coach since 1902, three years before the first metal rim was invented to replace peach baskets (not joking.)

I don't get the point of carrying this much water for him. I gave the guy a chance. I was excited when we beat Maryland. But it's been an endless debacle ever since.

What are you getting out of this? Some sort of needed attention? I've never been a jerk to you so please don't take this the wrong way, but it's really sort of out of control at this point.
Why do you think this is about Stallings?

I want 2 things to happen:

1 - Pitt to own their mistake and pay the man (That ends the Stallings era and the negative publicity)

2 - Pitt to conduct a real search, conduct interviews that are not a sham and hire the best possible coach (My personal preference is for that coach to be young and energetic and on the way up, with no personal connection to anyone in the Pitt administration: A merit hire)

What is wrong with having that position?

Last edited:

1 - Pitt to own their mistake and pay the man (That ends the Stallings era)

2 - Pitt to conduct a real search, conduct interviews that are not a sham and hire the best possible coach (My personal preference is for that coach to be young and energetic and on the way up, with no personal connection to anyone in the Pitt administration: A merit hire)

Your #1 is literally about Stallings.
I agree with your #2 in terms of broad and robust interviews. We should have done that last time.

Reactions: Jpripper88

1 - Pitt to own their mistake and pay the man (That ends the Stallings era)

Why do you want #1, if you are a Pitt fan? It literally makes 0 sense.

Reactions: We_All_We_Got
Why do you want #1, if you are a Pitt fan? It literally makes 0 sense.
I agree with your #2 in terms of broad and robust interviews. We should have done that last time.
I came to the realization that Stallings had to go.

I don't know if you read it, but B_Man posted what I thought was the most persuasive reasoning for making a change.

I strongly believe #1 should happen also and can say with certainty my feeling that way has absolutely zero to do with Stallings.

Why are you assuming that Pitt will get hit for Stallings' legal fees? That is not the prevailing rule of law and no one knows what is in the contract. And even though I think this approach could backfire from a PR point of view my guess Pitt has more legal grounds/arguments than are currently being leaked/cited in the media.

Things could go bad every day you walk out the door...this a lot of posturing and negotiating going on now. Only one thing matters now and this who Pitt hires as head BB coach.

No could about it. It is a bad look.
No place to go but up.
I am not convinced on Lyke’s Ability to escape this situation on her time here.

Reactions: singregardless

Really? The sky is falling? God I am glad you are not part of the hiring process. What major crony has she hired? A fund raiser? Another head scratching post.

I came to the realization that Stallings had to go.

I don't know if you read it, but B_Man posted what I thought was the most persuasive reasoning for making a change.
He is gone. You just want him paid a lot of money for some reason.

Really? The sky is falling? God I am glad you are not part of the hiring process. What major crony has she hired? A fund raiser? Another head scratching post.
Christian Spears, Chris Hoppe and Kelly Brennan?

We don't know all his transgressions. There seemed to be some animosity at the end between HL and KS. If, for example, he repeatedly refused to show up for certain events that the AD direct him to attend., as has been reported, the issue is insubordination. Look, when most people get a new boss they have to adjust to them or move on. If you are at Vandy for 17 years and you can do what you like ok, but when you move you may have higher expectations placed upon you. These simple arguments sound like the hs freshman debate team items.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT