ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on this Potential Roster?

To some extent I can see your point; however, I think back to Howland's first year and even a hoop Xs and Os challenged fan like me noticed how he took the same talent and coached them up immediately. It was night and day.

Obviously Ben did change Willard's system to what Ben and Jamie used. But isn't that what good coaches do? Maybe Coach Capel gambled that he could quickly recruit player who to fit his system.

Champ showed promise from day one. I can't point to any other player who this staff has developed significantly. They still stand around and play sloppily most of the time.

Toney
Champ
Hugley
Mo
Burton

All have developed their game significantly under Capel.

I've already expressed that my take is that McNeilly is a really high ceiling recruit. But he's been floating around for a couple of years and I've heard there are questions about whether he can live up to his potential.

But I'd love for him to join our team because the potential is certainly there.

I don't have any specific info about whether he will commit here or not.

But I do hope he does.

I've already expressed that my take is that McNeilly is a really high ceiling recruit. But he's been floating around for a couple of years and I've heard there are questions about whether he can live up to his potential.

But I'd love for him to join our team because the potential is certainly there.

I don't have any specific info about whether he will commit here or not.

But I do hope he does.
We got him.

Toney
Champ
Hugley
Mo
Burton

All have developed their game significantly under Capel.
Mo and Burton played one season. Not sure how you can say they did anything more than just learn the system. There's no prior season to compare them with.

Toney was mostly just an athletic defender and garbage man on day one and on the day he left. Still was for Arkansas. I wish he never left though. He was a valuable player. Everyone improves a little with age and experience.

One could argue that Hugely developed last year. I'd argue that he improved physically (strength & conditioning) and not so much in his skill set, but I'll give you that one.

Significantly is the operative term here.

Reactions: FireballZ
Mo and Burton played one season. Not sure how you can say they did anything more than just learn the system. There's no prior season to compare them with.

Toney was mostly just an athletic defender and garbage man on day one and on the day he left. Still was for Arkansas. I wish he never left though. He was a valuable player. Everyone improves a little with age and experience.

One could argue that Hugely developed last year. I'd argue that he improved physically (strength & conditioning) and not so much in his skill set, but I'll give you that one.

Significantly is the operative term here.
I’m not sure if Mo “developed “ but he was certainly utilized well to max his potential .

I’ll have to see year 2 of Burton to judge development .
Hugely certainly improved , and hope he takes another leap forward this season with a more balanced roster and some other big bodies to take all the wear and tear off him

Reactions: BPKY and FireballZ
He was committed for like a minute and Huggins instantly recruited over him and forced his decommit. You’re trying too hard on this one

The Washington Generals take another L.

I win this thread. My outlook for this team was pretty accurate though I had Hugley potentially starting at the 4 to help with rebounding.

The Washington Generals take another L.

I win this thread. My outlook for this team was pretty accurate though I had Hugley potentially starting at the 4 to help with rebounding.
You lose every thread ever. You said Hugley was worth 1 million dollars. Stop posting

I’m the only person on this website who instantly corrected and said Fede was better for this team and they’d start winning if they benched Hugley. Literally no one else agreed.

Last edited:
Reactions: pittjas
You lose every thread ever. You said Hugley was worth 1 million dollars. Stop posting

I’m the only person on this website who instantly corrected and said Fede was better for this team and they’d start winning if they benched Hugley. Literally no one else agreed.

I said 100K in the April-June 2022 free agent market and if he made 1st team All ACC THIS season, he could be worth a lot more in the April-June 2023 free agent market. And I stand by that. You arent comprehending. Of course, he has sucked this year so he isnt getting close to 1st Team All ACC or even 1st Team All Pitt. You can say I was wrong about Hugley's ability or potential but at least get it right what I said about NIL.

Just take the L like a man. You should be used to it by now.

In reading this thread, one thing is for sure, most people don't really know how the players will turn out.
I'm exhibit A. Of making mistakes
Also Capel had lots of surprises
Xj was a surprise
Justin was a surprise
Mo was a bit of a surprise
Hinson and Fede are surprises
Hugley's dramatic set back was a surprise

• Wow
Reactions: PittPoker
Mo was a bit of a surprise
Hinson and Fede are surprises
To me even Burton and Cummings to the degree of their success is surprising. I don't know anything about any of the players before they get here , though. The big question to me is are these guys a surprise to the staff or is it generally playing out as planned? Because if this is not just the proverbial "throw it on the wall and see what sticks" approach then HCJC has a very sustainable approach in this new portal era, imo.

Reactions: Drew1208
To me even Burton and Cummings to the degree of their success is surprising. I don't know anything about any of the players before they get here , though. The big question to me is are these guys a surprise to the staff or is it generally playing out as planned? Because if this is not just the proverbial "throw it on the wall and see what sticks" approach then HCJC has a very sustainable approach in this new portal era, imo.

Burton putting up 1st Team All-ACC numbers is certainly a surprise but he's a 5th year guy. Players get better. 23 year olds are better than 18 year olds. We've seen here at Pitt and at other places, guys make drastic improvements. Wanamaker, Patterson, Gibbs, etc. The difference is you dont really do that at the same school anymore.

Hinson doesn't surprise me a ton. His play has been like a best-case scenario of what I thought he could he, going off his SEC numbers. So, while I wouldn't predict he would be All-ACC, I wouldn't have thought it would be totally impossible. Guys get better.

Cummings has surprised me in that he has developed into sort of that natural PG/leader. I saw him more as a scoring PG. More in that Xavier Johnson, have to do things myself type. He probably isnt scoring as much as I thought but that's not a bad thing.

Fede is another best case scenario of what I thought he could be as you see from my posts above. His JUCO numbers were good.

Elliott has been about what we all expected I think. Probably rebounds better than I thought and is more streaky than I would like but he's been a good addition.

I say a lot of times that luck plays a factor and we've had so much bad luck recently, we have been due. I dont want to take anything away from the staff but sometimes guys just develop differently. Burton, Hinson, and Fede all of a sudden becoming really good ACC players all at the same time is a bit lucky. But every team needs that. We always talk about JJ Moore or Dante Taylor, those are kids that didnt develop and that's not Jamie's fault. Sometimes it just never happens.

Reactions: Parkview57
Burton putting up 1st Team All-ACC numbers is certainly a surprise but he's a 5th year guy. Players get better. 23 year olds are better than 18 year olds. We've seen here at Pitt and at other places, guys make drastic improvements. Wanamaker, Patterson, Gibbs, etc. The difference is you dont really do that at the same school anymore.

Hinson doesn't surprise me a ton. His play has been like a best-case scenario of what I thought he could he, going off his SEC numbers. So, while I wouldn't predict he would be All-ACC, I wouldn't have thought it would be totally impossible. Guys get better.

Cummings has surprised me in that he has developed into sort of that natural PG/leader. I saw him more as a scoring PG. More in that Xavier Johnson, have to do things myself type. He probably isnt scoring as much as I thought but that's not a bad thing.

Fede is another best case scenario of what I thought he could be as you see from my posts above. His JUCO numbers were good.

Elliott has been about what we all expected I think. Probably rebounds better than I thought and is more streaky than I would like but he's been a good addition.

I say a lot of times that luck plays a factor and we've had so much bad luck recently, we have been due. I dont want to take anything away from the staff but sometimes guys just develop differently. Burton, Hinson, and Fede all of a sudden becoming really good ACC players all at the same time is a bit lucky. But every team needs that. We always talk about JJ Moore or Dante Taylor, those are kids that didnt develop and that's not Jamie's fault. Sometimes it just never happens.
It’s amazing how you expected all these players to be this good, and you expected Hugley to be a first team all league guy, AND you were expecting the ACC to be terrible, yet you weren’t predicting 16-4 or 17-3. It’s almost like you’re lying about all of it.

I couldn’t care less to bring up the billion predictions of you being wrong. Hugley is the biggest L in the history of the internet though.

It’s amazing how you expected all these players to be this good, and you expected Hugley to be a first team all league guy, AND you were expecting the ACC to be terrible, yet you weren’t predicting 16-4 or 17-3. It’s almost like you’re lying about all of it.

I couldn’t care less to bring up the billion predictions of you being wrong. Hugley is the biggest L in the history of the internet though.

I didnt expect Burton, Hinson, and Fede to be this good. I thought

Hugley - 1st team All-ACC
Hinson - what he did at Ole Miss
Burton - slight improvement from last year
Nelly - poor man's Xavier Johnson
Nike, Elliot - decent but not great starter-types
Fede - legit P6 level backup (which is way better than weve had recently)

Basically, I thought Hugley had to be really good and the supporting cast had to be ACC-level starters, not all-league like Burton and Hinson have been.

That’s simply not true
But egoist have to ego

You’re right about the L. You had him outta tahn. Not even available at Pitt. Gone-zo. Chicken or the egg. Quit hijacking threads with this crap. Both of you.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
You’re right about the L. You had him outta tahn. Not even available at Pitt. Gone-zo. Chicken or the egg. Quit hijacking threads with this crap. Both of you.
This thread was dead and SMF revived it to try and hide the fact he said Hugley was worth a million dollars. Simply replying to his insanity

This thread was dead and SMF revived it to try and hide the fact he said Hugley was worth a million dollars. Simply replying to his insanity

Again, I didn't say that and you know that. I said if he made 1st Team All ACC this year, he would be and I still stand by that. If he comes back and averages 25 PPG and makes 1st Team All League, then yes, he or anyone with those numbers would be worth $1 milliom in free agency.

Again, I didn't say that and you know that. I said if he made 1st Team All ACC this year, he would be and I still stand by that. If he comes back and averages 25 PPG and makes 1st Team All League, then yes, he or anyone with those numbers would be worth $1 milliom in free agency.
Yet an all big 12 player was with 400k a year to the richest school. Insane L that you will not give up. You’re about to get the ignore feature

Sean Miller Fan said:
Next year. Maybe Pitt can get close, I don't know. Hugley is very very loyal to Capel so I think he'd take less to play for him but not significantly less. He was Honorable Mention All-ACC. If he's 3rd team this year, he'll make $1 million next year. 2nd team = $1.5 million. 1st team = $2 million

This is last thing I’ll say on subject. This is what you said after changing your answer for the billionth time. You think 3rd team all league guys are worth 1 million. In reality it’s probably worth about 15-20k. It’s absolute insanity you could be this off.

Sean Miller Fan said:
Next year. Maybe Pitt can get close, I don't know. Hugley is very very loyal to Capel so I think he'd take less to play for him but not significantly less. He was Honorable Mention All-ACC. If he's 3rd team this year, he'll make $1 million next year. 2nd team = $1.5 million. 1st team = $2 million

This is last thing I’ll say on subject. This is what you said after changing your answer for the billionth time. You think 3rd team all league guys are worth 1 million. In reality it’s probably worth about 15-20k. It’s absolute insanity you could be this off.

Its all fluid and the market is changing. A 3rd Team All-ACC guy is getting a whole lot more than 15K in free agency. Would Hugley or any other 3rd team player, get $1 million? No. However I definitely believe a 1st Team big could get $1 million. Armando Bacot, for example. 1st Team All-ACC, has another year left, he would get at least $1 million in free agency. So you're saying I'm wrong on this when my "prediction" was based for 12 months in the future and based on Hugley's play this year. If Hugley lit it up and averaged an efficient 19 and 10 but didnt make the top 2 teams because maybe the ACC was just really good, then, yes, I think he could get $1 million as a 3rd team player.

Its all fluid and the market is changing. A 3rd Team All-ACC guy is getting a whole lot more than 15K in free agency. Would Hugley or any other 3rd team player, get $1 million? No. However I definitely believe a 1st Team big could get $1 million. Armando Bacot, for example. 1st Team All-ACC, has another year left, he would get at least $1 million in free agency. So you're saying I'm wrong on this when my "prediction" was based for 12 months in the future and based on Hugley's play this year. If Hugley lit it up and averaged an efficient 19 and 10 but didnt make the top 2 teams because maybe the ACC was just really good, then, yes, I think he could get $1 million as a 3rd team player.
So you were way off, admit you were way off, then circle back to you possibly being right? Got it. You’re an idiot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT