ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on this Potential Roster?

Because they've done that so much in past.
Mo was a 4.
They currently don't have one outside of hinson and maybe will at times.
Fede will play the collier role. You've seen the team. You know what they'll do.
Gueye was basically a 3 and half or a stretch 4. He didn't rebound overly well and was no threat with his back to the basket. Hugley would be the replacement for Gueye and Federico for Hugley. If Federico isnt very good and is just a Collier/Coulibaly talent then yea, he probably plays backup minutes. But if he is a good player and we dont get anyone better, I really believe Capel didnt lie when he told him he plans to play him with Hugley. Capel has to do things completely different. Perhaps 2 true bigs and monstering people in the paint and on the glass is the way to differentiate and win games. What if Federico and Hugley lead Pitt to become a top rebounding team? That would be a strong indicator of a winning team.

Gueye was basically a 3 and half or a stretch 4. He didn't rebound overly well and was no threat with his back to the basket. Hugley would be the replacement for Gueye and Federico for Hugley. If Federico isnt very good and is just a Collier/Coulibaly talent then yea, he probably plays backup minutes. But if he is a good player and we dont get anyone better, I really believe Capel didnt lie when he told him he plans to play him with Hugley. Capel has to do things completely different. Perhaps 2 true bigs and monstering people in the paint and on the glass is the way to differentiate and win games. What if Federico and Hugley lead Pitt to become a top rebounding team? That would be a strong indicator of a winning team.
Federiko is basically a backup/developmental big at this point. With 3 years of eligibility, hopefully he becomes more of a factor in years 3 and 4. Next year, if he's an improvement over Collier in that role (low bar), it's a plus. Still need another big who can start along with at least one good 3-point threat.

Last edited:
Federico is basically a backup/developmental big at this point. With 3 years of eligibility, hopefully he becomes more of a factor in years 3 and 4. Next year, if he's an improvement over Collier in that role (low bar), it's a plus. Still need another big who can start along with at least one good 3-point threat.
A 6'11 guy who averaged 11 and 9 in JUCO and that committed to the Huggy the Legend should be able to play right away

He was committed for like a minute and Huggins instantly recruited over him and forced his decommit. You’re trying too hard on this one
Agree. He is a project. A more likely semi successful project than a good many of our recent projects, but a project.

I think Protes has the right hope for Federiko coming in. There is a bit to like...but, for him to give much in the ACC next year he has to add serious weight and strength. I like that he has 3 years of eligibility. I know St. John's had reportedly offered him last spring as a '22 recruit, but he ended up in JUCO. He has some FIBA experience, but played little. I would expect him to be similar to Collier next season.

Adding Akok and Meechie...then, we can talk about a roster that might be improved. I would like the twins, as I think they have some long term potential as well.

Akok and Meechie, in my opinion, make the team versatile and would have some depth. I like Akok from the defensive and rebounding aspect and should help Hugley. Hinson hasn't played in 2 years, so that is an unknown, but I like the versatility he could provide at the F spot and we have some options to roll big or small. I like that Jeffress has stuck around..there are tools there and, again, can provide minutes, depth and versatility at the F spot.

I like Cummings, Sibande and Burton as the three guards. I think Meechie could add some of the shooting that is missing. He could shoot it and score in HS and was a nice recruit. He was shooting 40% from 3-pt range until a practice injury causing a concussion and fractured orbital bone had him missing 9 days and returned wearing a mask. He finished the regular season just 1-14 from 3 after the injury. So...with 3 years of eligibility he could be a nice guard. I expect Burton to have a good comfort level...I like Cummings. Nike, similar to Hinson, has played very little in 2 years, but he has scored a lot in his career...so, there is hope...but again, this group could be flexible and offer 2 and 3 guard line-ups to mix and match.

Again...add Akok and Meechie Jouhnson...then we can begin to wonder if there will be an improvement...we will see.

I think Protes has the right hope for Federiko coming in. There is a bit to like...but, for him to give much in the ACC next year he has to add serious weight and strength. I like that he has 3 years of eligibility. I know St. John's had reportedly offered him last spring as a '22 recruit, but he ended up in JUCO. He has some FIBA experience, but played little. I would expect him to be similar to Collier next season.

Adding Akok and Meechie...then, we can talk about a roster that might be improved. I would like the twins, as I think they have some long term potential as well.

Akok and Meechie, in my opinion, make the team versatile and would have some depth. I like Akok from the defensive and rebounding aspect and should help Hugley. Hinson hasn't played in 2 years, so that is an unknown, but I like the versatility he could provide at the F spot and we have some options to roll big or small. I like that Jeffress has stuck around..there are tools there and, again, can provide minutes, depth and versatility at the F spot.

I like Cummings, Sibande and Burton as the three guards. I think Meechie could add some of the shooting that is missing. He could shoot it and score in HS and was a nice recruit. He was shooting 40% from 3-pt range until a practice injury causing a concussion and fractured orbital bone had him missing 9 days and returned wearing a mask. He finished the regular season just 1-14 from 3 after the injury. So...with 3 years of eligibility he could be a nice guard. I expect Burton to have a good comfort level...I like Cummings. Nike, similar to Hinson, has played very little in 2 years, but he has scored a lot in his career...so, there is hope...but again, this group could be flexible and offer 2 and 3 guard line-ups to mix and match.

Again...add Akok and Meechie Jouhnson...then we can begin to wonder if there will be an improvement...we will see.
This would be my take as well.

The Diaz twins recently arrived and started their visit.
This guy is not pleased!

jhrsd3vs97b31.jpg

Reactions: pittmeister
He was committed for like a minute and Huggins instantly recruited over him and forced his decommit.
I don't like Huggins, but I respected him. If this is true, I no longer respect him either. That's not only screwing with the kid, it's screwing with all the coaches who might have been truly interested in the kid and went in a different direction when WVU said they were taking him.

That group better go to the Kelvin Sampson school of defense and hustle if they want to win.

Backing the discussion up to the most basic question--What needs to be added to the roster to produce a team that can finish in the upper half to upper third of the ACC?

IMHO, the answer means adding a quality point guard, a starting inside big talented enough that Hugley wont be doubled teamed and at least one, but preferably two 40% 3-ball shooters.
Right now we have a point guard--(maybe) and have filled neither of the two other needs, IMO.

Anyone that's a true Pitt fan would love for JC to pull it off unlike some turncoats

Of course we'd love for Capel to pull in 5 or 6 quality kids from the portal that could help immediately. But he has a long way to go to do that. Right now and including the kids he may already have, he's at least 3 players away from a quality roster.

I won’t post your name, but this was from you on Feb 19 when he committed.

Yessir Fede!!!!! Let's goooooo!!!! #HailWV
#TheLoveWayytwitter.com/Federiko_F/sta.

Hopefully this young man has found a great fit at Pitt. That’s a shame what WVU and OSU did to him. You have to look out for your guys. Those schools shouldn’t get anywhere close to your players as long as those coaches are there.
If a school screws over one of your players then I agree you should be done with that school.

I would say on the FB board you and I almost always agree. On the BB board we probably agree a large majority of the time. Nothing personal as I see you as a Pitt fan and most likely a good guy, but have to say it’s a little odd you pretty much saying who another poster is with BBInforPitt. Unless he said he who he is…then my bad.

If a school screws over one of your players then I agree you should be done with that school.

I would say on the FB board you and I almost always agree. On the BB board we probably agree a large majority of the time. Nothing personal as I see you as a Pitt fan and most likely a good guy, but have to say it’s a little odd you pretty much saying who another poster is with BBInforPitt. Unless he said he who he is…then my bad.
I agree with your sentiments and we do agree on many things.

Everything I said was accurate in my posts above. If I post anything else it gets deleted.

Reactions: 4upmc and pierre93

Welcome back!

How about this?

PG- Nelly Cummings ✳️
SG- Jamarius Burton
SF- Nike Sibande
PF- Blake Hinson ✳️
C- John Hugley

Seikou Jawara *️⃣
Greg Elliott ✳
Joey Baker *️⃣
William Jeffress
Guillermo Diaz ✳️
Jorge Diaz ✳️
Nate Santos
Fede Federiko ✳️

How about this?

PG- Nelly Cummings ✳️
SG- Jamarius Burton
SF- Nike Sibande
PF- Blake Hinson ✳️
C- John Hugley

Seikou Jawara *️⃣
Greg Elliott ✳
Joey Baker *️⃣
William Jeffress
Guillermo Diaz ✳️
Jorge Diaz ✳️
Nate Santos
Fede Federiko ✳️
Honestly one of the deepest in years, even deeper than late Dixon teams. However, not good enough at the top outside Hugley. The team has a chance though.

I don't like Huggins, but I respected him. If this is true, I no longer respect him either. That's not only screwing with the kid, it's screwing with all the coaches who might have been truly interested in the kid and went in a different direction when WVU said they were taking him.
Lighten up Francis this shit happens every day at every university. They’re all big boys and girls now they get paid

How about this?

PG- Nelly Cummings ✳️
SG- Jamarius Burton
SF- Nike Sibande
PF- Blake Hinson ✳️
C- John Hugley

Seikou Jawara *️⃣
Greg Elliott ✳
Joey Baker *️⃣
William Jeffress
Guillermo Diaz ✳️
Jorge Diaz ✳️
Nate Santos
Fede Federiko ✳️
Top to bottom much improved I think over anything he has done yet. Cautiously optimistic hoping that they all gel together and our younger guys are going to somewhat contribute this year. Actually could be somewhat excited! 😁

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
How about this?

PG- Nelly Cummings ✳️
SG- Jamarius Burton
SF- Nike Sibande
PF- Blake Hinson ✳️
C- John Hugley

Seikou Jawara *️⃣
Greg Elliott ✳
Joey Baker *️⃣
William Jeffress
Guillermo Diaz ✳️
Jorge Diaz ✳️
Nate Santos
Fede Federiko ✳️
I hope it happens. It is better than what I expected. We could have a good 9-10 man rotation.

I hope it happens. It is better than what I expected. We could have a good 9-10 man rotation.

I agree - better than I expected, but still thin with the bigs for the coming year. Curious what Hinson thinks of being the 4, I have the impression he thinks of himself as a guard.

How about this?

PG- Nelly Cummings ✳️
SG- Jamarius Burton
SF- Nike Sibande
PF- Blake Hinson ✳️
C- John Hugley

Seikou Jawara *️⃣
Greg Elliott ✳
Joey Baker *️⃣
William Jeffress
Guillermo Diaz ✳️
Jorge Diaz ✳️
Nate Santos
Fede Federiko ✳️
Play some Syracuse zone with this lineup—

C Hugley
W J Diaz-G
W. G Diaz-G
G. Hinson
G. Elliot

How about this?

PG- Nelly Cummings ✳️
SG- Jamarius Burton
SF- Nike Sibande
PF- Blake Hinson ✳️
C- John Hugley

Seikou Jawara *️⃣
Greg Elliott ✳
Joey Baker *️⃣
William Jeffress
Guillermo Diaz ✳️
Jorge Diaz ✳️
Nate Santos
Fede Federiko ✳️
I don't think that's an NCAA team, so I don't think Capel is likely to continue at Pitt. But I think it's enough of a reasonable roster with some exciting new comers that can win a few games -- enough for me to renew my season tickets.

Reactions: TWPitt
Play some Syracuse zone with this lineup—

C Hugley
W J Diaz-G
W. G Diaz-G
G. Hinson
G. Elliot
I’d say the odds of that happening and working are less than 1%. I’d prefer going small and spreading out the defense with good shooters and Hugley in the middle.

I’d say the odds of that happening and working are less than 1%. I’d prefer going small and spreading out the defense with good shooters and Hugley in the middle.
Probably right on the odds unless Boeheim leaves Cuse for Pitt 🤣🤣🤣. I will add, however, that the Diaz-G twins are supposed to be good jump shooters—if true they could spread the defense. Neither plays like a 4 or 5 in the highlight video I saw—they look like 3s who grew to 6-11. The Gueye analogy seems closest to what their games look like on video.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drew1208
Probably right on the odds unless Boeheim leaves Cuse for Pitt 🤣🤣🤣. I will add, however, that the Diaz-G twins are supposed to be good jump shooters—if true they could spread the defense. Neither plays like a 4 or 5 in the highlight video I saw—they look like 3s who grew to 6-11. The Gueye analogy seems closest to what their games look like on video.

Let's wait and see what they can do, remember, Santos was supposed to be a shooter too.

Let's wait and see what they can do, remember, Santos was supposed to be a shooter too.
Yes. Good shooters before college play aren’t always so good when they have to face the much better defenders in college ball. But, some do adjust after their first season or two. Santos might regain his touch and, perhaps the twins will have it from the start—or not. We will have a better idea next November-December.

I don't think that's an NCAA team, so I don't think Capel is likely to continue at Pitt. But I think it's enough of a reasonable roster with some exciting new comers that can win a few games -- enough for me to renew my season tickets.

Hopefully it's enough for several more Pitt Hoops fans to do the same.

For my personal case, it's hard for me to imagine what it would take for me not to renew my tickets. But we simply need more people in the seats. It was downright depressing being in the Pete for most games this season.

Hopefully it's enough for several more Pitt Hoops fans to do the same.

For my personal case, it's hard for me to imagine what it would take for me not to renew my tickets. But we simply need more people in the seats. It was downright depressing being in the Pete for most games this season.
There's going to be a point in the season that you're pretty excited. Mark. It down

Reactions: PittPoker
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT