ADVERTISEMENT

Towson Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** One of the reasons I do these so-called “dribbles” after Panther Hoops games, game in and game out, is to try to capture the mood or emotion of each game, and hopefully translate these emotions among the Panther faithful.

** But as I sit at this laptop, I’m having a hard time understanding my own emotions for this win. I actually thought about this in depth on the drive home. I wasn’t sure if I was pleased or discouraged, frustrated or enthused, satisfied or bemoaned. Only word kept coming into my head that made sense. That word? Perplexed!

** I’m always happy for a Pitt Hoops win, but I’m unsure what to make of a dogfight against a Colonial Athletic Conference Team.

** I appreciated seeing such important contributions from Noah Collier, but am dumbfounded by the splinters John Hugley is pulling from his behind.

** I’m at a loss to understand why Femi is struggling to take his assumed lead role, while taking great pleasure in watching Nate Santos’ three ball trickle through the twine.

** So here’s what I do know. When Towson went up three with 4:43 to go, I confess I expected our Panthers to fold. I prepared myself for a troubling loss, far beyond perplexing.

** Sitting just below the press box, I ran up to @chrispeak wondering if he had heard any explanation as to why Big John had not been welcomed back onto the court. He just offered me an unknowing shrug.

** Seconds later, Femi finds Hugley’s understudy for the dunk and one and just like that, this one is tied. Noah tied it again seconds later.

** A few seconds after that, the man from Erie who almost never looks confident shooting the ball hits the most confident jumper of his career to tie the game once again.

** And then, the other Panther stallion who spent the better part of the contest in the stable, boldly drills his only three point shot of the game to give us the lead we never lose. And this is the same guy who was 1-4 from the foul line. I’ll readily admit I never saw that coming.

** I’ll also confess that after four years, I’m still perplexed by Jeff Capel’s coaching psychology. It made some sense as to why he sat Xavier Johnson in past years. But it was harder to understand why Femi and Big John went down when it seemed that their services would be so badly needed.

** Even harder for me to understand were Capel’s post game comments saying Big John sat because he was playing poorly. While that may have been so, it was hard for me to see what made his play any worse than any other Panther.

** But whether or not I understand it, I don’t even have to take it on faith to know that the particular Capel tactic worked. In fact, this night the Panthers did indeed play better without their two best.

** And there may be some logic to Capel’s madness. Big John and Femi are this team’s best players. But this team is never going to go anywhere this year if others don’t get into the act.

** The others who got into the act were why the Panthers won. The aforementioned Noah was almost inexplicably clutch. Mr. Burton did his best Adrian Dantley posting up to get points when it looked at times like that might be the only way the Panthers could score. Chris Payton added a needed jumper. Will scrapped for a full 39 minutes without turning the ball over once. And Dan was nothing short of a big, tall mature rock.

** But then there’s Nate. Somehow, somewhere both Nate and his teammates figured out that it was a good thing for him to let it fly. So as confused as I was to understand why this didn’t happen as much as needed previously, I smile at this moment thinking about what his future as a Panther might look like.

** Though these confused thoughts, one notion has become slightly more clear to me. Hopefully, there’s a little more to this entire Panther team than many of us might have thought at 5:59 pm tonight. And maybe, our much maligned Head Coach made some nifty moves this evening to bring this concept to the forefront.

** Or maybe, this was just one weird game against a not-so-good team that points toward greater struggles the Panthers will endure this campaign.

** I honestly don’t know. I’m perplexed. But I’ll take the win.

** And while I’m at it … let’s TAKE THE COASTAL TOMORROW!!

** HTP!!

** One of the reasons I do these so called “dribbles” after Panther Hoops games, game in and game out, is to try to capture the mood or emotion of each game, and hopefully translate these emotions among the Panther faithful.

** But as I sit at this laptop, I’m having a hard time understanding my own emotions for this win. I thought about this in depth on the drive home. But I wasn’t sure if I was pleased or discouraged, frustrated or enthused, satisfied or bemoaned. Only word kept coming into my head that made sense. That word? Perplexed!

** I’m always happy for a Pitt Hoops win, but I’m unsure what to make of a dogfight against a Colonial Athletic Conference Team.

** I appreciated seeing such important contributions from Noah Collier, but am dumbfounded by the splinters John Hugley is pulling from his behind.

** I’m at a loss to understand why Femi is struggling to take his assumed lead role, while taking great pleasure in watching Nate Santos’ three ball trickle through the twine.

** So here’s what I do know. When Towson went up three with 4:43 to go, I confess I expected our Panthers to fold. I prepared myself for a troubling loss, far beyond perplexing.

** Sitting just below the press box, I ran up to @chrispeak wondering if he had heard any explanation as to why Big John had not been welcomed back onto the court. He just offered me an unknowing shrug.

** Seconds late, Femi finds Hugley’s understudy for the dunk and one and just like that, this one is tied. Noah tied it again seconds later.

** A few seconds after that, the man from Erie who almost never looks confident shooting the ball hits the most confident jumper of his career to tie the game once again.

** And then, the other Panther stallion who spent the better part of the contest in the stable, boldly drills his only three point shot of the game to give us the lead we never lose. And this is the same guy who was 1-4 from the foul line. I’ll readily admit I never saw that coming.

** I’ll also confess that after four years, I’m still perplexed by Jeff Capel’s coaching psychology. It made some sense as to why he sat Xavier Johnson in past years. But it was harder to understand why Femi and Big John went down when it seemed that their services would be so badly needed.

** Even harder for me to understand were Capel’s post game comments saying Big John sat because he was playing poorly. While that may have been so, it was hard for me to see what made his play any worse than any other Panther.

** But whether or not I understand it, I don’t even have to take it on faith to know that the particular Capel tactic worked. In fact, this night the Panthers did indeed play better without their two best.

** And there may be some logic to Capel’s madness. Big John and Femi are this team’s best players. But this team is never going to go anywhere this year if others don’t get into the act.

** The others who got into the act were why the Panthers won. The aforementioned Noah was almost inexplicably clutch. Mr. Burton did his best Adrian Dantley posting up to get points when it looked at times like that might be the only way the Panthers could score. Chris Payton added a needed jumper. Will scrapped for a full 39 minutes without turning the ball over once. And Dan was nothing short of a big, tall mature rock.

** But then there’s Nate. Somehow, somewhere both Nate and his teammates figured out that it was a good thing for him to let it fly. So as confused as I was to understand why this didn’t happen as much as needed previously, I smile at this moment thinking about what his future as a Panther might look like.

** Though these confused thoughts, one notion has become slightly more clear to me. Hopefully, there’s a little more to this entire Panther team than many of us might have thought at 5:59 pm tonight. And maybe, our much maligned Head Coach made some nifty moves this evening to bring this concept to the forefront.

** Or maybe, this was just one weird game against a not-so-good team that points toward greater struggles the Panthers will endure this campaign.

** HTP!!
Thanks for your analysis

As I said in the other thread, he took those two guys out because they came out playing like they didn't care.

Sure, but I can't say that they looked like they were playing like didn't care more or less than anyone else.

Having said this .. credit where credit is due. The right buttons were pushed this evening. Let's hope it works in the long game.

Reactions: cabe23
Sure, but I can't say that they looked like they were playing like didn't care more or less than anyone else.

There's a difference between not play well and not caring. Hugley especially in those first couple minutes of the second half looked like he simply wasn't ready to play.

I'm not saying I'd have kept him out the whole rest of the game, or Odukale most of the rest of the game, but I can absolutely understand why he took those two guys out when he did. You can't have your best players playing like they don't care.

As I said in the other thread, he took those two guys out because they came out playing like they didn't care.
I almost kind of liked the Norman Dale moment. But my god, I wish we had some Brandin Knight's, Julius Page's, Jaron Brown's, Carl Krauser's, Sam Young's, Levon Kendall's, Aaron Gray's, Chevy Troutman's, but honestly I don't know if they exist anymore.

There's a difference between not play well and not caring. Hugley especially in those first couple minutes of the second half looked like he simply wasn't ready to play.

I'm not saying I'd have kept him out the whole rest of the game, or Odukale most of the rest of the game, but I can absolutely understand why he took those two guys out when he did. You can't have your best players playing like they don't care.

At the end of the day, whether they cared or didn't care, or were ready to play or not, it's up the HCJC to make the right moves to win and that he certainly did this evening.

According to Craig Meyer, when either Hugley or Odukale or both were on the court Towson outscored Pitt 44-43. When they were both on the bench Pitt outscored Towson 20-15.

Having said this .. credit where credit is due. The right buttons were pushed this evening. Let's hope it works in the long game.
Look bottom line is it made no sense. So many players "are playing poorly", that's Capel' reason for benching Femi and Hugley? 4 games in? Sure I don't know for sure but I'm already getting bad vibes about those 2. Are they gonna announce their intention to transfer mid-season? Is there some locker room issues again? Why does this seem to keep happening with Capel?

I'm starting to get that bad feeling that there are going to be continual issues again with a few of the players. And let's not forget about Gueye, hardly played again. Second game I thought he played decent, all of a sudden he leaves to go home, now not playing really at all.

It absolutely made sense. If you were paying attention.

Last year we bitched when we played the guys who were trying to do too much. This year we bitch when we bench guys who are trying too little. Hell of a thing.
Absolutely right - We are clearly still in the tearing down phase

The Mansion is going to take some time

Reactions: Brian Brush Fan
According to Craig Meyer, when either Hugley or Odukale or both were on the court Towson outscored Pitt 44-43. When they were both on the bench Pitt outscored Towson 20-15.

Thanks -- I was going to go back and try to do this math -- I figured it was something like this.

Absolutely right - We are clearly still in the tearing down phase

The funny thing is that you were one of the main bitchers about playing guys who were trying to do to much. So let the record show that you would apparently rather have a team full of guys who don't give a crap than a team full of guys who are trying to do to much.

Reactions: Ski11585
Thanks -- I was going to go back and try to do this math -- I figured it was something like this.

Defensively that was 44 points on 37 possessions (1.19 ppp) with one or both on the court and 15 points on 23 possessions (.65 ppp) when neither was on the court.

If that doesn't explain what was going on to people then I just don't know what to say.

But knowing me that won't stop me from saying something!

The funny thing is that you were one of the main bitchers about playing guys who were trying to do to much. So let the record show that you would apparently rather have a team full of guys who don't give a crap than a team full of guys who are trying to do to much.
Correction::

I want a team full of good players that are coachable, controllable team players, that stay out of trouble and finish their college careers at Pitt.

I want a team full of good players that are coachable, controllable, team players, that stay out of trouble and finish their careers at Pitt.

That isn't a correction. That's a completely different topic.

Although I'd probably want to avoid the meaning of what you bitch about too when someone puts it in the terms I did.

1.19 ppp against with those guys on the court, .65 ppp with neither of them on the court. The difference between those two numbers is stunning, and yet you can't quite seem to figure out what was going on.

We won by 4. This is a difference of 6.

Do you think we win the game if Odukale sits to the end?

We won by 4. This is a difference of 6.

Math really isn't a strong suit for you, is it?

If when one or both of them was on the court Towson outscored us by one and with neither on the court we outscored Towson by five the difference isn't 5 + 1 = 6, it's 5 - 1 = 4.

That isn't a correction. That's a completely different topic.

Although I'd probably want to avoid the meaning of what you bitch about too when someone puts it in the terms I did.

1.19 ppp against with those guys on the court, .65 ppp with neither of them on the court. The difference between those two numbers is stunning, and yet you can't quite seem to figure out what was going on.
You told me what kind of team I wanted, I “corrected” you.

Until this second, your points per possession argument played not part in any of our replies to each other.

Last edited:
Math really isn't a strong suit for you, is it?

If when one or both of them was on the court Towson outscored us by one and with neither on the court we outscored Towson by five the difference isn't 5 + 1 = 6, it's 5 - 1 = 4.
Oh, even 1 point less of a factor?

( if you are combining their negative impact of them playing with the positive impact of them not playing, that equals 6 total points)

Oh, even 1 point less of a factor?

Like I said, math is clearly not your strong suit.

Do you not understand that the number of possessions means something? Would you rather have your team score 60 points on 70 possessions or 55 points on 50 possessions?

You told me what kind of team I wanted, I “corrected” you.

your points per possession argument played not part in any of our replies to each other.

I told you what kinds of teams and players you were arguing for and against. If you want to tell me that what I said was wrong then what you are doing is disavowing what you posted last year during the season and what you've posted tonight.

YOU bitched about guys last season trying to do too much. YOU bitched tonight about benching guys who weren't giving good effort. The only logical conclusion based on your posts (and maybe that's the problem, looking for logic in your posts?), that you would rather we play guys who aren't giving good effort rather than guys who are trying to do too much. That doesn't say anything at all about what you'd want in a perfect world, that's pointing out what you have actually said in the real world.

Like I said, math is clearly not your strong suit.

Do you not understand that the number of possessions means something? Would you rather have your team score 60 points on 70 possessions or 55 points on 50 possessions?
I want my team to score more points than their team.

if we can do that playing like Golden State so be it, if we can do it playing like Virginia so be it.

I want my team to score more points than their team.

if we can do that playing like Golden State so be it, if we can do it playing like Virginia so be it.

Well then you should have no problem understanding that we outscored Towson when both of those guys were on the bench and we were outscored by Towson when one or both were on the court.

And yet....

I told you what kinds of teams and players you were arguing for and against. If you want to tell me that what I said was wrong then what you are doing is disavowing what you posted last year during the season and what you've posted tonight.

YOU bitched about guys last season trying to do too much. YOU bitched tonight about benching guys who weren't giving good effort. The only logical conclusion based on your posts (and maybe that's the problem, looking for logic in your posts?), that you would rather we play guys who aren't giving good effort rather than guys who are trying to do too much. That doesn't say anything at all about what you'd want in a perfect world, that's pointing out what you have actually said in the real world.
What exactly did I say?

That X forced too much? He needed to play more under control? We needed to move the ball more than just dribble drive?

Did anyone argue against that?

Did I say Justin tried to do too much? Maybe I said he should shoot less threes as he was better cutting to the basket and in the paint?

Did I say Toney tried to do too much? If anything, I said he was jealous of Justin and sulked.

I seriously doubt I could have bitched about any of the other players trying to do too much.

Who did I bitch about and whart did I say?

Last edited:
I almost kind of liked the Norman Dale moment. But my god, I wish we had some Brandin Knight's, Julius Page's, Jaron Brown's, Carl Krauser's, Sam Young's, Levon Kendall's, Aaron Gray's, Chevy Troutman's, but honestly I don't know if they exist anymore.
5-stars for the Norman Dale reference!

If we only had Jimmy Chitwood…

Go Pitt!

Reactions: TWPitt
Big 3 by Odukale down the stretch, plus a nice dump off to Collier. Alas, there was still the 1-4 from the FT line.

But, not only was Santos big with his 3’s, he had 2 pretty darn good looking FTs at the end to pick up Femi’s misses. And those were his first 2 attempts of the year. Maybe we do have a decent FT shooter on the team. Or 2 seeing how Burton drained 2 at the end right after Nate’s.

Reactions: TWPitt
** One of the reasons I do these so-called “dribbles” after Panther Hoops games, game in and game out, is to try to capture the mood or emotion of each game, and hopefully translate these emotions among the Panther faithful.

** But as I sit at this laptop, I’m having a hard time understanding my own emotions for this win. I actually thought about this in depth on the drive home. I wasn’t sure if I was pleased or discouraged, frustrated or enthused, satisfied or bemoaned. Only word kept coming into my head that made sense. That word? Perplexed!

** Seconds later, Femi finds Hugley’s understudy for the dunk and one and just like that, this one is tied. Noah tied it again seconds later.

** HTP!!
I am a little confused as to why you were perplexed. We started the 2nd half with 2 brutal plays by Femi and Big John that each led to easy fast break baskets on the other end. He sat both as we were down 7 and then we got a spark from Burton and Collier and went on a run. The team continued to work hard, especially on defense, so he kept Femi and John on the bench. In this game, John was really a liability on defense when they went small. Collier was the better matchup and one of the big reasons we won.

As to what this game means, I continue to get perplexed at the reactions to our last 2 wins. Yeah, we did not look all that good and yes, we only played CAA teams, but we won and that is what really counts. It’s not like this team is under performing from what we thought they were going to be, so why such angst? We were 7 point favs over UNC Wilmington and won by 8 and we were 6 point favs over Towson and won by 4. So we’re are performing as we are supposed to so far.

I didn't watch the game at all but glad to see Santos go 4-8 from 3. Could he be a Parker Stewart-type? I actually do think Santos is an ACC-level freshman though on a good team, he probably doesnt play much at all this year and probably not a ton next year but would have productive junior and senior years.

Jeffress - I guess he did some good things but 7 points in 39 minutes is troubling. I guess the best comparison to him is Patterson who came on later in his career but right now, Jeffress really isnt any better than your average mid-major SF. He's still so young that you hope by Year 4 and 5, he can be solid ACC-level starter.

Collier - nice to see him contribute.

Not sure what to make of Femi and John though you know how this goes. If you discipline a player, they will transfer. These kids transfer now if you tell them you dont like their favorite color. I always expected Femi to transfer. With Hugley, he owes Capel somewhat for sticking with him so maybe he stays, who knows but I wonder what kinds of players is Capel recruiting that this is an every year thing......and for players who arent that good.

I am a little confused as to why you were perplexed. We started the 2nd half with 2 brutal plays by Femi and Big John that each led to easy fast break baskets on the other end. He sat both as we were down 7 and then we got a spark from Burton and Collier and went on a run. The team continued to work hard, especially on defense, so he kept Femi and John on the bench. In this game, John was really a liability on defense when they went small. Collier was the better matchup and one of the big reasons we won.

As to what this game means, I continue to get perplexed at the reactions to our last 2 wins. Yeah, we did not look all that good and yes, we only played CAA teams, but we won and that is what really counts. It’s not like this team is under performing from what we thought they were going to be, so why such angst? We were 7 point favs over UNC Wilmington and won by 8 and we were 6 point favs over Towson and won by 4. So we’re are performing as we are supposed to so far.

I think you are correct on this. Pitt was simply playing better with Femi and John on the bench. Nothing more to it imo.

I also thought Femi responded well when he reentered the game.

I want a team full of good players that are coachable, controllable team players, that stay out of trouble and finish their college careers at Pitt.
I think this is what we all want. College hoops is a mess right now. More at Pitt than most, but a mess. the easy transfer rule is a killer. Everybody is a free agent all the time. your coach sits you for a bad attitude, put your name in portal.

If this Pitt team stays together for 4 years and we get some decent recruits, it is possible it becomes pretty good. Hugley, Jeffress, Santos, Odukale Collier are all in their freshman year, by eligibility status. all have potential to be good players over the next few years if they keep their heads on straight. Unfortunately, the odds of 1. them staying together, 2. having great attitudes and 3, having proper coaching leadership, seems to be pretty low. I have not totally given up on Capel and I will never give up on the hoops program, but we need leadership, both from players and coaches !

Barely beating Towson was not discouraging at this point, sadly. Would not have been a huge upset if we lost. I was encouraged by Collier, Jeffress and Santos, among the young guys. Oladapo and Burton seem like solid additions with good attitudes (fingers crossed). I think Gueye has potential to help, but very volatile. 4 fouls in 6 minutes.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
I didn't watch the game at all but glad to see Santos go 4-8 from 3. Could he be a Parker Stewart-type? I actually do think Santos is an ACC-level freshman though on a good team, he probably doesnt play much at all this year and probably not a ton next year but would have productive junior and senior years.

Jeffress - I guess he did some good things but 7 points in 39 minutes is troubling. I guess the best comparison to him is Patterson who came on later in his career but right now, Jeffress really isnt any better than your average mid-major SF. He's still so young that you hope by Year 4 and 5, he can be solid ACC-level starter.

Collier - nice to see him contribute.

Not sure what to make of Femi and John though you know how this goes. If you discipline a player, they will transfer. These kids transfer now if you tell them you dont like their favorite color. I always expected Femi to transfer. With Hugley, he owes Capel somewhat for sticking with him so maybe he stays, who knows but I wonder what kinds of players is Capel recruiting that this is an every year thing......and for players who arent that good.
I'm glad everyone has come to realize about Santos what i knew the day we got him.

I still have no clue if he has a coaching style or plan besides running the Duke 5* recruit philosophy. But he does seem to have an eye for players. If he kept them together, they'd have a credible acc roster at least. That part of players bailing on him f's everything up. He said when he came here recruits would come here to play for him.

Reactions: gary2

** HTP!!
The only carrot coaches hold these days is playing time. True, players can leave with impunity. But take away the only carrot a coach has and you’ve got a gelding for a coach.
We aren’t going to shock the world. We aren’t going to dance anywhere. But our guys can learn and grow. That’s what I look for in every game.
I saw growth and a W. I’ll take both.

Reactions: jctrack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT