ADVERTISEMENT

Trevor Lawrence

TL best QB last 20 yrs; ETN in the discussion for best TB last 20

Trevor Lawrence says hold my jock strap. Young had 18 TD’s and 18 INT’s in his first 2 years. He had one really good year.
Young singlehanded.y won a national championship by himself. Against a loaded USC team - I’m not downplaying Lawrence’s skill or impact but Clemson is loaded at every skill position - UT...had basically no one but Young.

I thought the word on the street was that the Jets were drafting Lawrence at #1 and then moving Darnold to the Steelers for a 5th rounder. Frankly I think that’s a good move for the Steelers. Darnold is first round pedigreed but has been given complete trash to work with. Put him behind a decent line with the Steelers receiving corps to bail him out and watch him make a Pro Bowl in a few years.

One of the best college players ever. Would have been the #1 pick aftet his FR season.....and may win 0 Heisman Trophies. That would be a crime. Jason White has one.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Young singlehanded.y won a national championship by himself. Against a loaded USC team - I’m not downplaying Lawrence’s skill or impact but Clemson is loaded at every skill position - UT...had basically no one but Young.
He was playing with 3 - 1st Team All Americans and 2 - 3rd Team All Americans. You serious Clark?

There's a big difference between best college player and best individual season. If we're talking best individual season, Cam's title run at Auburn is better than anything Lawrence or Young have done.

There's a big difference between best college player and best individual season. If we're talking best individual season, Cam's title run at Auburn is better than anything Lawrence or Young have done.

I still think Tim Tebow’s 2007 season was the most dominant performance I’ve seen from a college QB, 55 combined TD’s and looked like it could’ve been 70 or more if they wanted it to be.

Not a title team though so he’s out of this discussion, that Gator team still had some issues to work out and wouldn’t win the National Championship until the following season.

I thought the word on the street was that the Jets were drafting Lawrence at #1 and then moving Darnold to the Steelers for a 5th rounder. Frankly I think that’s a good move for the Steelers. Darnold is first round pedigreed but has been given complete trash to work with. Put him behind a decent line with the Steelers receiving corps to bail him out and watch him make a Pro Bowl in a few years.

I have heard Darnold, Carson Wentz, and even Matt Stafford.

I'm quite sure the lions are going to blow it up and start all over

I'm also quite sure the lions will mangle the rebuild yet again.

Unless they hire Riddick as their GM.

Are the lions that smart?

Not sure but I know this.

Success has followed Lou Riddick everywhere he has gone. Whoever hires the guy will do some damage in a few years.

Reactions: LVNVPanther
The Steelers may or may not be able to secure a coach as good as Tomlin, but given their history I would expect it would not be a severe drop off. Especially if that new coach had Trevor Lawrence and a lot of other talent to work with.

On the other hand I don’t see the Mike Tomlin/Sam Darnold combination lighting the world on fire.

There is no way any sane person would make this deal unless it included Tomlin and a couple #1’s as well.

I enjoy these absurd nonsensical hypotheticals.

I think the offer from the Steelers would have to be like Tomlin, Watt, Claypool, Steelers #1 this year and a future #1 lol. And even then...

It’s a franchise QB. It’s like what would you offer for Mahomes or Allen...there’s almost no price

Yea - I’m not saying he is going to win the Heisman. But he is hands down the best player.
Which is why the trophy is a joke. On last night’s Alabama-Florida game, the announcers were changing their choice after every play either of the qb’s made. What nonsense.

He was playing with 3 - 1st Team All Americans and 2 - 3rd Team All Americans. You serious Clark?
Name one of them that’s on par with what Clemson has?

Edit: Young reached a win/loss record as a starter of 30–2, ranking him #1 of all University of Texas quarterbacks by number of wins.

Watching the Bama game last night, I was so impressed with Kyle Pitts. I think TL and Pitts may be the most impactful players coming out of this class.

Btw, greatest player ever? Cant argue with TL, my immediate reaction was Lawrence Taylor at UNC

I had almost forgotten that Pitts was a PA kid that Pitt recruited as well. We’re talking about QB’s here, but it can be argued that Pitts just completed the greatest single season of any TE in college football history.

I would be very surprised if he doesn’t end up going in the top 10 overall, he is a hell of a player that doesn’t really have a true comp in the NFL. Maybe Claypool or Kittle?

I am surprised by the number of people who believe TL,or any player, is a sure thing at the next level. Don't get me wrong, I believe he is a college great, but it is a different game at the next level particularly at that position (same could be said from hs to D1) and for that reason we could go and on about "Can't miss" draftees that were complete busts, let alone just average players with solid careers.

I am surprised by the number of people who believe TL,or any player, is a sure thing at the next level. Don't get me wrong, I believe he is a college great, but it is a different game at the next level particularly at that position (same could be said from hs to D1) and for that reason we could go and on about "Can't miss" draftees that were complete busts, let alone just average players with solid careers.

It’s about his value. Period. His value is astronomically high because of how good he’s been for years plus of course it’s a QB. So look at it in those terms.

And I guess they look at him as can’t miss for his value to be that high so ok. But when you have value like that you don’t settle for Tomlin. You get more. Much more.

The price to move up that high was steep for guys like Burrow. Who had 1 good year. If you move that pick it’s gonna be for a bounty this year more than ever.

3 year track record

Even the jets won't blow this one. He is the most complete QB I have seen coming out of college. Every tool he has is elite. He can make every throw from a laserbeam to a lob with touch. Plus he has amazing wheels for a 6' 6" 240 pound man.

I believe the jets have quite a few first rounders they got from Seattle for the Safety Jamaal Adams. Something like 5 first rounders in the next 2 years. He will take his lumps the first couple years, but, if they cash in with these other picks, I expect he will have the Jets in the hunt in year 4 or 5.
Says the only Jets fan in Pittsburgh.

Texas records
10-3
11-1
13-0
That looks like more than one good season!

The team was really good, he himself wasn’t very good his first 2 seasons though. Vince Young was maybe the biggest high school recruit in the country, but I think most people would say he had been somewhat of a bust those first 2 years. He was benched a couple separate times and even going into that final season there were still questions as to whether or not he would be the guy in that offense.

Great Junior season obviously, but his combined TD/INT ratio for the 3 years was 44/28, which is relatively pedestrian for someone playing on that good of a team.

Says the only Jets fan in Pittsburgh.
Not a Jets fan. Yes, I was wrong. The Jets may very well have blown their chance. I just didn't think anyone could be that stupid. Who knows, they are so dumb, they might not pick him anyway even if they get the chance. They are a shame. The easiest thing to do is just lose, and they couldn't even do that! Lol

Reactions: sarahstreet
He should
That’s a dumpster heap of an organization

Even cleveland got their shit together
I could not agree more. Pulling a Manning is the right play here. He’s the most NFL ready, can’t miss QB in forever, but if he goes to the Jets he may never be heard from again.

On the other hand, you can almost see the Pats and Belichik giving their first 3 draft picks and half of their starters to the Jets to get him-and if they did so, the way they work free agency they’d probably be back to the Super Bowl in 3 years.

I could not agree more. Pulling a Manning is the right play here. He’s the most NFL ready, can’t miss QB in forever, but if he goes to the Jets he may never be heard from again.

On the other hand, you can almost see the Pats and Belichik giving their first 3 draft picks and half of their starters to the Jets to get him-and if they did so, the way they work free agency they’d probably be back to the Super Bowl in 3 years.
To play devil’s advocate: have you ever heard of a professional athlete refusing to play in the New York market? If the rumors are true that they’ll be targeting an experienced, well-respected head coach, perhaps the Jets could be the team that comes together in a short time period? Lots of draft capital and promising prospects on both sides of the ball.

Even the jets won't blow this one. He is the most complete QB I have seen coming out of college. Every tool he has is elite. He can make every throw from a laserbeam to a lob with touch. Plus he has amazing wheels for a 6' 6" 240 pound man.

I believe the jets have quite a few first rounders they got from Seattle for the Safety Jamaal Adams. Something like 5 first rounders in the next 2 years. He will take his lumps the first couple years, but, if they cash in with these other picks, I expect he will have the Jets in the hunt in year 4 or 5.
And they did! J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets!

One of the best college players ever. Would have been the #1 pick aftet his FR season.....and may win 0 Heisman Trophies. That would be a crime. Jason White has one.
He sends a Christmas Card, and a fruit basket with a picture of him holding the Heisman to Ron Cook every year, as a thank you.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
As I said before there is a reason Darnold is available. As a backup fine. But the Steelers are now in the market for Ben's replacement.

Lawrence has to be a top-ten player for that span. It's impossible to separate his achievements without acknowledging his superb supporting cast. But the kid has great ability and intangibles. Very Peyton-esque. I hesitate to project that to NFL success because I watch Mason Rudolph light it up against Pitt and thought he was a lock to be the next Dan Marino. So I won't jinx the young man with a prediction.

The team was really good, he himself wasn’t very good his first 2 seasons though. Vince Young was maybe the biggest high school recruit in the country, but I think most people would say he had been somewhat of a bust those first 2 years.

As a freshman he only threw more than 15 passes in a game twice all season. 6 tds and 7 ints on the season. Even in year two, 59.2% completion percentage, 12 tds, 11 ints. But great rushing numbers.

Then as a junior, 65.2%, 26 tds, 10 ints, and still great rushing numbers.

I don’t disagree
You asked a question
I tried to answer it

I've tried answering it. I'm not sure anyone has the pure physical traits that Lawrence has. I see elements of his game in many players. Elway probably comes closest imo. I see the physical stature and some of the mobility of Newton. When he was coming out of HS, Dilfer said there were only a few (2-3) NFL QB's who had his physical traits. That was at 18 years old.

The only thing I question with him hitting out of the park are his anticipation skills. When you play with elite talent and you have elite measurables, you often don't get to see those skills on a regular basis. It's kind of an unknown imo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT