ADVERTISEMENT

UNC Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** Are you noticing a pattern? I mean ... how can you not?

** Too many missed jump shots and not enough physicality in the paint on either end of the court. Both combined for another Panther loss.

** This isn’t to say this was a bad Panther loss. Once again, our guys battled. But we simply are not going to win many, if not any, ACC games scoring only 57 points.

** And we aren’t going to win many games, period, while garnering just six assists for an entire contest.

** Having said this, this was the first time this season when I could say I was really frustrated with our offense before the fact that we missed so many jump shots.

** In fact, what could be said more accurately is “what offense?”

** On too many trips, the offense was simply a high ball screen and a slide to a jump shot. Actually, there were a few too many trips when there really wasn’t high ball screen. Just the jump shot.

** The biggest difference between this year’s team and last year’s team if that we got into the lane much more often, ether for the midrange game from Jamarius, or kickouts to Greg or Blake.

** But today, there really wasn’t much going on that far inside the three point line. And with Blake again not hitting, for yet another game, this year’s version of our offense was doomed.

** Another fascinating contributor to this problem has been the emergence of GDiaz. That is, the best way he can contribute to the offense is on the perimeter. Now of course, he’s been a much better offensive option than Fede, who has demonstrated that there’s not much he has to contribute to the offense at all.

** Too often today, following the run out for the high ball screen, all five players where basically spaced along the perimeter. From there, it was nearly all one on one with the dribble, or a few episodes of trying to back down a defender into the paint.

** So I’ve already mentioned the problematic number of 6 assists, and this led to the equally problematic numbers of shooting 31% from the floor and 17% from three.

** Another troubling aspect of our 6 assists is that three of them were passes on the perimeter for a three, and one was the pretty fast break drop down from twin to twin to cut the Tar Heel lead to 6 midway through the second half. The fifth was Bub’s dish to Blake on the fast break.

** This means the only pass that led to a basket was Jaland’s ally oop to GDiaz. That’s not really an offense. That’s why our tally was 57.

** Nonetheless, we should give a shout out to Jaland who probably played his best game as a Panther. Often he looked to be the only Panther looking to actually play something one might call an offense.

** I also think GDiaz deserves a shout out as well for better post defense than we’ve seen from him in a while. This was aided by some solid post double teams. But this allowed the Tar Heels to muscle their way to 16 offensive rebounds. And the late second chance points were just about all daggers against a team who wasn’t able to run much of an offense to enable themselves to catch up.

** The good news? Well, the Panthers get the Cards on Saturday and hopefully this will give us the change to reset some things.

** Granted, I don’t think there is an easy fix for our Panthers. And we are already running out of chances to right the ship.

** But we’ve got the start somewhere. Hopefully the Yum is the place to break the pattern.

** Too many missed jump shots and not enough physicality in the paint on either end of the court. Both combined for another Panther loss.

** This isn’t to say this was a bad Panther loss. Once again, our guys battled. But we simply are not going to win many, if not any, ACC games scoring only 57 points.

** And we aren’t going to win many games, period, while garnering just six assists for an entire contest.

** Having said this, this was the first time this season when I could say I was really frustrated with our offense before the fact that we missed so many jump shots.

** On too many trips, the offense was simply a high ball screen and a slide to a jump shot. Actually, there were a few too many trips when there really wasn’t high ball screen. Just the jump shot.

** The biggest difference between this year’s team and last year’s team if that we got into the lane much more often, ether for the midrange game from Jamarius, or kickouts to Greg or Blake.

** But today, there really wasn’t much going on that far inside the three point line. And with Blake again not hitting, for yet another game, this year’s version of our offense was doomed.

** Another fascinating contributor to this problem has been the emergence of GDiaz. That is, the best way he can contribute to the offense is on the perimeter. Now of course, he’s been a much better offensive option than Fede, who has demonstrated that there’s not much he has to contribute to the offense at all.

** Too often today, following the run out for the high ball screen, all five players where basically spaced along the perimeter. From there, it was nearly all one on one with the dribble, or a few episodes of trying to back down a defender into the paint.

** So I’ve already mentioned the problematic number of 6 assists, and this led to the equally problematic numbers of shooting 31% from the floor and 17% from three.

** Another troubling aspect of our 6 assists is that three of them were passes on the perimeter a three, and one was the pretty fast break drop down from twin to twin to cut the Tar Heel lead to 6 midway through the second half. The fifth was Bub’s dish to Blake on the fast break.

** This means the only pass that led to a basket with Jaland’s ally oop to GDiaz. That’s not really an offense. That’s why our tally was 57.

** Nonetheless, we should give a shout out to Jaland who probably played his best game as a Panther. Often he looked to be the only Panther looking to actually play some offense one might call an offense.

** I also think GDiaz deserves a shout out as well for better post defense than we’ve seen from him in a while. This was aided by some solid post double teams. But this allowed the Tar Heels to muscle their way to 16 offensive rebounds. And the late second chance points were just about all daggers against a team who wasn’t able to run much of an offense to enable themselves to catch up.

** The good news? Well, the Panthers get the Cards on Saturday and hopefully this will give us the change to reset some things.

** Granted, I don’t think there is an easy fix for our Panthers. And we are already running out of chances to right the ship.

** But we’ve got the start somewhere. Hopefully the Yum is the place to break the pattern.
Sorry DT, they stink. They have no shooters that you watch attempt a 3 and think it's going in. Blake used to be that dude but he's a mess right now so I'm not including him for the time being.

They have no inside offensive game, they had 6 assists tonight which is awful. FT shooting still sucks and honestly it just reminds me once again of a team not coached just playing streetball.

I know you are more optimistic than me for sure but they are currently in last place in the conference at 0-3, they have a bunch of tough games coming up which I don't see them winning any of them.

This looks like a team that will end up finishing near the bottom of the ACC, an overall losing record and Jeff Capel imo needs to move the hell on.

Reactions: pittizit
Sorry DT, they stink. They have no shooters that you watch attempt a 3 and think it's going in. Blake used to be that dude but he's a mess right now so I'm not including him for the time being.

They have no inside offensive game, they had 6 assists tonight which is awful. FT shooting still sucks and honestly it just reminds me once again of a team not coached just playing streetball.

I know you are more optimistic than me for sure but they are currently in last place in the conference at 0-3, they have a bunch of tough games coming up which I don't see them winning any of them.

This looks like a team that will end up finishing near the bottom of the ACC, an overall losing record and Jeff Capel imo needs to move the hell on.
Why does your reply begin with "sorry?" I don't understand.

** Are you noticing a pattern? Too many missed jump shots and not enough physicality in the paint on either end of the court. Both combined for another Panther loss.

** And this isn’t to say this was a bad Panther loss. Once again, our guys battled. But we simply are not going to win many, if not any, ACC games scoring only 57 points.

** But too often today, following the run out for the high ball screen, all five players where basically spaced along the perimeter. From there, it was nearly all one on one with the dribble, or a few episodes of trying to back down a defender into the paint.

** Another troubling aspect of our 6 assists is that three of them were passes on the perimeter a three, and one was the pretty fast break drop down from twin to twin to cut the Tar Heel lead to 6 midway through the second half. The fifth was Bub’s dish to Blake on the fast break.

** So that means the only pass that led to a basket with Jaland’s ally oop to GDiaz. That’s not really an offense. That’s why our tally was 57.

** Still, we should give a shout out to Jaland who probably played his best game as a Panther. Often he looked to be the only Panther looking to actually play some offense one might call an offense.

Before this season started and after the first 12 games of the season, my message was that Jaland Lowe needs to be a balanced point guard to maximize this teams strengths. After the last 2 games where Lowe had back to back big games off the bench against #8 North Carolina and Syracuse on the road, I want Lowe to be a scoring point guard while constantly attacking the inside with dribble penetration like Krauser while looking for his teammates. His midrange game is starting to roll. There is too much dead weight in the offense with catch and shoot players that dont want to drive the ball and are game watching. Lowe can beat these 4 and 5 star players off the bounce, he needs to juice his confidence up an go and enter attack mode. The more his shots continue to fall 12-15 feet and in, his confidence will soar which will greatly help his team. I am very pleased with his development, especially on the defensive end. He needs to pass on the 3s and attack the inside.

I so very badly want to move Carrington into a point forward roll.

And a physical big that is a rebounding machine that is Elite on the hedge would do wonders for this team. Kante, next year.

** This means the only pass that led to a basket with Jaland’s ally oop to GDiaz. That’s not really an offense. That’s why our tally was 57.

** Nonetheless, we should give a shout out to Jaland who probably played his best game as a Panther. Often he looked to be the only Panther looking to actually play some offense one might call an offense.

3 things we haven't replaced:

- Jamarius bailing us out on bad possessions and his mid-range game

- Greg Elliot mini-spurts of 2 or 3 3s in a short time period to get us going

- Last Year Fede

We upgraded at PG but honestly not by much. That might sound nutty because Bub is going to be a 1st Rounder but 18 year old Bub is only slightly better than 24 year old Nelly at playing the game of college basketball.

Before this season started and after the first 12 games of the season, my message was that Jaland Lowe needs to be a balanced point guard to maximize this teams strengths. After the last 2 games where Lowe had back to back big games off the bench against #8 North Carolina and Syracuse on the road, I want Lowe to be a scoring point guard while constantly attacking the inside with dribble penetration like Krauser while looking for his teammates. His midrange game is starting to roll. There is too much dead weight in the offense with catch and shoot players that dont want to drive the ball and are game watching. Lowe can beat these 4 and 5 star players off the bounce, he needs to juice his confidence up an go and enter attack mode. The more his shots continue to fall 12-15 feet and in, his confidence will soar which will greatly help his team. I am very pleased with his development, especially on the defensive end. He needs to pass on the 3s and attack the inside.

And a physical big that is a rebounding machine that is Elite on the hedge would do wonders for this team. Kante, next year.

Bub needs to get stronger to move and effectively play as a point forward.

Lowe
Carrington
Hinson
GDG/Jorge
Fede/GDG

???

Go super big to help on the glass. Maybe have a smaller player take Hinson. Make Lowe be the facilitator. Leggett as the Sibande off the bench. I just cracked the code.

Lowe
Carrington
Hinson
GDG/Jorge
Fede/GDG

???

Go super big to help on the glass. Maybe have a smaller player take Hinson. Make Lowe be the facilitator. Leggett as the Sibande off the bench. I just cracked the code.

We played about 3-4 trips today "super big" -- Lowe, Blake, Zach, JDG, GDG -- and the offense generated by this crew was really ineffective.

We played about 3-4 trips today "super big" -- Lowe, Blake, Zach, JDG, GDG -- and the offense generated by this crew was really ineffective.

Jorge is like a 3 and a half though. Also you cant have Austin in the game in that lineup. I didnt notice that lineup in that moment but that's 4 non-scorers plus Blake.

Reactions: rockypanther
We got much, much younger all around. Capel replaced 24 year olds with 18-20 year olds. Can’t do that in todays game. Building something doesn’t exist anymore.

If this team stays upbeat, they could be playing well by the middle of this month. Beat Louisville, play Duke tough and beat Cuse. Get to 4-5 in conference and see what happens.

Then again they could be 2-7 real easy too.

Yes, and it's not good
The Panthers' shooting has been horrible lately. Imagine if we had hit even 40% of our shots during the first 7 minutes
I can't think of any teams we could beat by scoring fewer than 60 ppg
That's part of the pattern lately
You'd think that our length would help us but we're not athletic
Exactly
Blake has been struggling and appears to be not working to get the best looks for his shots
True; we are missing at least two reliable shooters
Weak front court players; GDG and Fede and even Will looked way too soft
GDG seemed to hesitate often when he got the chance to shoot the 3. He seems far more successful when he catches and shoots
Zero energy; seemed unprepared
Lowe needs to start as PG
The twins do play well together and should be involved in more pick and rolls
Since we were basically as poor shooting as NC was during the first 10 minutes it's hard to know
Agree
GDG has to get more body strength and improve his endurance over the off season
I haven't been following the Cards but I suspect they haven't improved a whole lot from last year
I truly believe that both the team and the Pitt fans need to look at just the next game, and not try to look too far forward and wonder about getting into the post season (NCAA Tournament)
👍

Bub needs to get stronger to move effectively play as a point forward.

I agree with this to an extent. I think his shooting would be much better off the ball.

1) I still cant actually believe Bub Carrington is our starting point guard. He has never started as a point guard anywhere prior to Pitt. He has played back up point both in high school and the EYBL.

2) I think Bub is thinking too much to make a play which is effecting his shooting. He is used to being a point forward where shooting came first and play making came 2nd. Now, its different as an actual point. He is shooting 3's at a 31% rate this year. I would have never expected him to be that low prior to this season starting. I think there is far too much pressure on him to facilitate, lead, distribute, and shoot. And he can't handle all that as a freshmen. Ashton Gibbs collapsed as a senior and couldn't handle all that responsibility as a senior who played on two 1 seeds. Gibbs shooting percentage nosedived without Wanamaker and Brown as a senior. Its not because Gibbs couldnt shoot, its that he was asked to do way to much as the starting point guard without elite talent like Wanamaker and Brown around him anymore.

I hate to even say this but Im going to anyway.

Cummings has a chance to be Acie Law.

And if you are younger and do not know who Law is at Texas A&m. here he is. Law is one the most lethal and clutch shooters I have ever seen in the last 30 years of college basketball. And when the game is on the line, Laws game goes into kill status. This is lofty hype as Law dominated as a senior, but Cummings has the game to be lethal at the college level. His recuitment has been a joke, He is a Lethal shooter, yall well see..

I hate to even say this but Im going to anyway.

Cummings has a chance to be Acie Law.

And if you are younger and do not know who Law is at Texas A&m. here he is. Law is one the most lethal and clutch shooters I have ever seen in the last 30 years of college basketball. And when the game is on the line, Laws game goes into kill status. This is lofty hype as Law dominated as a senior, but Cummings has the game to be lethal at the college level. His recuitment has been a joke, He is a Lethal shooter, yall well see..

Come on. It’s always about next year with you.

- Last Year Fede

We upgraded at PG but honestly not by much. That might sound nutty because Bub is going to be a 1st Rounder but 18 year old Bub is only slightly better than 24 year old Nelly at playing the game of college basketball.
Leggett has hit a wall vs better competition in the Burton role.
Fede looks like he’s homesick or something and done with bb.

- Last Year Fede

I will bet you any amount of $ you’d like that if he leaves this year he will not be a first round draft pick.

Come on. It’s always about next year with you.
It’s like we go through the same cycle every offseason. These are the best freshmen ever coming in, they show some promise, Pitt has a losing ACC record, transfer portal kills the team and reloads the team, no now THESE freshmen and transfers are the ones.

Honestly, how many times can you be fooled? They got very lucky with the 4 24 year old guards, Fede actually playing well and Hinson what looks like playing over his head last year and were team 67. Do you really ever see them assembling a roster that good again with this staff? Time to come to grips with reality people. It’ll take a small miracle: every roster is mismatched *including last year’s until Hugley quit on them*

The offense plays like a pickup team who just met each other a few minutes before tipoff. I liked the idea of what Capel's ceiling could be, but I was wrongfully under the impression that he would be recruiting a lot better here. I know he's brought in some talent, but I was thinking more along the lines of top 30 players, a few lottery picks, etc. At least half of this team should be playing at a mid-major.

It might be time to move on to a more meticulous system coach. Top talent isn't coming here, other than in Vader's fantasy world where every Pitt player is underrated by 50-75 spots in the national rankings. We need to make the most out of the talent we are able to land, and we need to assemble a more balanced team.

It’s like we go through the same cycle every offseason. These are the best freshmen ever coming in, they show some promise, Pitt has a losing ACC record, transfer portal kills the team and reloads the team, no now THESE freshmen and transfers are the ones.

Honestly, how many times can you be fooled? They got very lucky with the 4 24 year old guards, Fede actually playing well and Hinson what looks like playing over his head last year and were team 67. Do you really ever see them assembling a roster that good again with this staff? Time to come to grips with reality people. It’ll take a small miracle: every roster is mismatched *including last year’s until Hugley quit on them*

Cummings is the real deal. However, as a freshman, he isnt going to come in and average 15. I'd say around 10.

I was wrongfully under the impression that he would be recruiting a lot better here. I know he's brought in some talent, but I was thinking more along the lines of top 30 players, a few lottery picks, etc
Duke however was right, they could have had him, but did nothing to keep him, it was a bad sign to begin with.

Why does your reply begin with "sorry?" I don't understand.
I won’t apologize. Their offensive system is non existent and that creates few chances for good sharing of the ball and purposeful movement for players and the ball to lead to good basket attempts. I am not optimistic we make the tourney without running an actual offense with this team.

Reactions: PittPoker
All is not lost on the year, as even a “normal” shooting night could have been enough to beat a top 10 team at home, so I’m gonna try to keep that in mind.

But, that was simultaneously the most selfish and inefficient offensive performance from Pitt I’ve seen in a long time. Also this now trend of collectively playing worse as the game goes on, is also very concerning.

The offense reverted back to it’s “take turn” x/Trey iso style, which reared its UGLY head, and was not bailed out from Hinson making tough shots.

It’s like every possession down the stretch would be like Bub would say “my turn” to dribble drive into traffic and jack up an ugly contested mid range shot. Playing with freedom is one thing, but when it involves just awful decision making, this is the result.

Then Hinson would say, let me bulldoze my way into double teams now. Where is the creativity to scheme Hinson (or anyone besides GDG) open? He can’t create off the dribble, so why are half his touches just him posting up a guard at the wing with zero separation???

It drives me nuts, because the potential with this roster is still very high, given their youth and skillset.

The offense plays like a pickup team who just met each other a few minutes before tipoff. I liked the idea of what Capel's ceiling could be, but I was wrongfully under the impression that he would be recruiting a lot better here. I know he's brought in some talent, but I was thinking more along the lines of top 30 players, a few lottery picks, etc. At least half of this team should be playing at a mid-major.

It might be time to move on to a more meticulous system coach. Top talent isn't coming here, other than in Vader's fantasy world where every Pitt player is underrated by 50-75 spots in the national rankings. We need to make the most out of the talent we are able to land, and we need to assemble a more balanced team.
He had 3 McDonald All Americans at Oklahoma on his roster and was fired for lack of wins. So the idea of him bringing in these top recruits never made me feel like that would lead to his success at Pitt. I just don’t think he can consistently get a team to execute offensive sets or wants to. And you have to have some to get you more than 6 assists in a tough game.

Reactions: PittPoker
The only way to get better looks at shooting the ball is to move without the ball and pass better!

Our lack of offensive rebounding and put-backs from that and UNC's production on the put-backs made a huge difference in the score.

Again, if Pitt has any hopes of winning in the ACC and being comfortable, they have to score at least 80 points. Right now, we don't have the pieces and the coach to do that in the ACC. The offense when Lowe isn't in there is dribble, dribble, pass, dribble, random shot and miss. At least when Lowe is in there, we tend to run some sets with effective guard play. I don't see where Capel has any offensive sets and specific plays that these guys run consistently. But Capel was correct about one thing. These guys scraped and clawed as well as they could, given their limitations. I'm just hoping now that Jaland stays at Pitt after this year. With the portal and NIL, .... I don't want to go there.

The talent disparity between Pitt and the top, even the middle of the pack, ACC teams is glaring. I know it's early and I want to give this team a chance to gel. But at this point with the guys we have and the coaches we have, I think getting to 6 ACC wins is about our ceiling. And that doesn't make a tournament. In Capel's 5th year, that is unacceptable.

Hopefully, we can find a way to score 80 against 'Ville and win that game. I have my doubts, however, even as bad as 'Ville is. How can anyone be confident against any team we play now?

In fairness, Bub and Lowe are pretty much living up to his hype. The problems with our team are not with the freshmen. And we had better hope they both stay put for next year.

That game felt like hints of Capels first year when we had possessions of "hero ball" that ended up in a very low percentage ball, long low percetnage jump shot thrown at the hoop or a turnover

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT