ADVERTISEMENT

UNC Game & Other Dribbles ...

Does anyone think for a second that this Pitt team is better than UNC ?

Last years team not only had 4 lethal shooters they were just a few years away from collecting Social Security !

Thinking that losing Dior so late in the process isn’t a factor this year is ignoring the truth !

And why would JC belabor this point , he and Heather were obviously were overruled.

No one expected the twins to add 30lbs of muscle and become dominant this year and no one expected Fede to be this bad .

Which means losing Papa really hurt .

Saying all that they win these last two games with decent shooting .

It’s obvious that this year isn’t going to be a surprise to the upside , but with the addition of Cummings , Papa and the development of Bub , Jaland , the twins and hope more productive portal guys next yr JC just like Tomlin isn’t going anywhere.

Last years team not only had 4 lethal shooters they were just a few years away from collecting Social Security !

Thinking that losing Dior so late in the process isn’t a factor this year is ignoring the truth !

And why would JC belabor this point , he and Heather were obviously were overruled.

No one expected the twins to add 30lbs of muscle and become dominant this year and no one expected Fede to be this bad .

It’s obvious that this year isn’t going to be a surprise to the upside , but with the addition of Cummings , Papa and the development of Bub , Jaland , the twins and hope more productive portal guys next yr JC just like Tomlin isn’t going anywhere.

A lot of assumptions there. Like assuming that Bub and Jaland will be back, and that Papa and Cummings develop very quickly and provide immediate help. That's not likely.

Losing Dior was a massive blow. There's no other way to say it. Pitt is not a program that can afford to lose a starter like that. Now if you want to blame Capel for him being on the roster then that is fair.

There was a decent crowd there last night. Maybe close to 9,500. Unless we suddenly catch fire and get on a winning streak of 4 or 5 games, I don't see that size crowd ever again this year. Just reading this board, people are frustrated and not enjoying watching this team play. Even the most optimistic of optimists, like DT, isn't having as much fun as he'd like to. Crowds will naturally diminish with losses.

There was a decent crowd there last night. Maybe close to 9,500. Unless we suddenly catch fire and get on a winning streak of 4 or 5 games, I don't see that size crowd ever again this year. Just reading this board, people are frustrated and not enjoying watching this team play. Even the most optimistic of optimists, like DT, isn't having as much fun as he'd like to. Crowds will naturally diminish with losses.
I don’t know what about my post after this game seemed optimistic. I believe the same can be said about many of my posts this year.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
I don’t know what about my post after this game seemed optimistic. I believe the same can be said about many of my posts this year.
Some folks have a habit of not reading the content of posts -
And only reply based on assumptions .

Just a couple missed clank free throws of my own.

1) I never ever have minded when Hinson takes a shot. I figure he will shoot himself out of it. Last night was the first time I was frustrated. But regardless, he needs to shoot. If he ain't getting his, we aren't going to get a W.

1a) It would be nice for Jeffrey Capel to maybe go out of his way and draw up some looks for Hinson early on to try and get him going. Too many are forced and standstill. Which leads me to......

2) Boy it was a wonder how that ball moved offensively a month ago. Now, we look like Trey, X and Au'diese and boys are standing around waiting to take their shot. The free flowing offense is stagnated. I think Hinson's slump as alot to do with that and the fact there is no paint offense.

3) Fede's regression is a problem. And it has led to a lack of confidence and passive play. The ball looks like a hand grenade when he gets it. And because of that, his defense and shot blocking as suffered.

4) Ish might be a bit banged up, but I suspect Hinson's slump and the lack of any interior scoring is clogging up the driving lanes he was previously was getting.

5) I thought the biggest concern to me coming into the season was Pitt relying at the point on two true (young) freshman. They have been the most positive part of this season, both have high ceilings at least at this level. Bubs worries me not just about the NBA but an Arizona or Kentucky or Carolina with $$$$ of NIL. It sucks now we have those issues.

6) Still love the twins, and high basketball IQ, versatile, just they need to get stronger still. What would help them more than anything else (IMO) is some 6'7-10" 250lb bully 5, who can bang, maim, decapitate just lean on other teams bigs and take some of this off of the twins and also free them more up on the offensive boards. Christ at this point I would take a Rafael Maia for 7-10 minutes a night.

7) I don't know what to make of Isaac Austin. Uber athletic, can occasionally knock down the three. Just seems to sometimes get lost out there.

8) Someone in the thread mentioned "missing one guard". Always thought that. Would have loved to have a Nelly or someone like that be here to maybe settle things down, because this team does get much more rattled than last year's when the going gets tough.

Reactions: MajorMajors

That was my point, DT. You're always so optimistic and willing to give the team and coaches a chance to mature and gel together. That's what I respect about you. I was like that at the beginning of the year and through maybe 4 or 5 games. Then I saw the same warts appearing and I'm not so optimistic now. I can tell you aren't either.

1) I never ever have minded when Hinson takes a shot. I figure he will shoot himself out of it. Last night was the first time I was frustrated. But regardless, he needs to shoot. If he ain't getting his, we aren't going to get a W.

1a) It would be nice for Jeffrey Capel to maybe go out of his way and draw up some looks for Hinson early on to try and get him going. Too many are forced and standstill. Which leads me to......

2) Boy it was a wonder how that ball moved offensively a month ago. Now, we look like Trey, X and Au'diese and boys are standing around waiting to take their shot. The free flowing offense is stagnated. I think Hinson's slump as alot to do with that and the fact there is no paint offense.

3) Fede's regression is a problem. And it has led to a lack of confidence and passive play. The ball looks like a hand grenade when he gets it. And because of that, his defense and shot blocking as suffered.

4) Ish might be a bit banged up, but I suspect Hinson's slump and the lack of any interior scoring is clogging up the driving lanes he was previously was getting.

5) I thought the biggest concern to me coming into the season was Pitt relying at the point on two true (young) freshman. They have been the most positive part of this season, both have high ceilings at least at this level. Bubs worries me not just about the NBA but an Arizona or Kentucky or Carolina with $$$$ of NIL. It sucks now we have those issues.

6) Still love the twins, and high basketball IQ, versatile, just they need to get stronger still. What would help them more than anything else (IMO) is some 6'7-10" 250lb bully 5, who can bang, maim, decapitate just lean on other teams bigs and take some of this off of the twins and also free them more up on the offensive boards. Christ at this point I would take a Rafael Maia for 7-10 minutes a night.

7) I don't know what to make of Isaac Austin. Uber athletic, can occasionally knock down the three. Just seems to sometimes get lost out there.

8) Someone in the thread mentioned "missing one guard". Always thought that. Would have loved to have a Nelly or someone like that be here to maybe settle things down, because this team does get much more rattled than last year's when the going gets tough.

Physically, I don't know if the twins are capable of getting much stronger. That's who they are and we have to deal with it.

Physically, I don't know if the twins are capable of getting much stronger. That's who they are and we have to deal with it.
Which yeah, why we need a big boy bully dude like a McGhee or even OLett or Torree Morris to supplement them.

I am not sure how big and strong Pape Kante is, but I suspect he is another more athletic African kid than big banger.

Honestly, I think the best thing they can do going forward is practice like 9 million 3's a day and take over the #4 spot the next 2 years. Having two 7' stretch forwards would give us a nice advantage. I'm not sure GDG will ever put on enough weight to man the #5 the way we need. Better off rolling with Papa there and getting someone else in the portal to pair with him. At this point, Fede needs to be recruited over and Ndiaye is not likely to be ready to contribute next season.

Reactions: MajorMajors
Sorry DT, they stink. They have no shooters that you watch attempt a 3 and think it's going in. Blake used to be that dude but he's a mess right now so I'm not including him for the time being.

They have no inside offensive game, they had 6 assists tonight which is awful. FT shooting still sucks and honestly it just reminds me once again of a team not coached just playing streetball.

I know you are more optimistic than me for sure but they are currently in last place in the conference at 0-3, they have a bunch of tough games coming up which I don't see them winning any of them.

This looks like a team that will end up finishing near the bottom of the ACC, an overall losing record and Jeff Capel imo needs to move the hell on.
Sorry to see that you're the same miserable person that you've been while polluting these message boards for the past 20 years. Was hoping you could possibly make it through a week or so in 2024 with a better attitude.

You are clearly mentally ill and beyond help.

A lot of assumptions there. Like assuming that Bub and Jaland will be back, and that Papa and Cummings develop very quickly and provide immediate help. That's not likely.
Unfortunately nothing is guaranteed , but if you’re going to focus your recruiting on high school kids then you better be ready to do what it takes to keep the good ones or your just a way station for teams with bigger bank .

If that’s all your ever going to be ( away station ) than just about everyone needs to ratchet down their expectations on success in both Bb and Fb.

Can Pitt compete on the NIL portal kids who are difference makers ? Well they were never in the ballpark in getting top grad transfers under JD and those teams were just a player away from excellence.

If enough cash is available and used wisely Pitt can compete because now a days money does talk in college athletics . Plus we’re in an era were the eggheads can’t insist on playing by the rules because with the NIL the rules have been thrown out the window.

I think #4 is key. No inside game whatsoever and unable to make 3s just makes offense so damn hard. In conference play we have really been exposed. Teams stay in Hinson's face, he forces shots or we get a jump shot. I mean, in conference, which has only been 3 games, how many times out of a half court set have we actually gotten to the goal and finished? Those driving lanes get smaller with each bricked 3. We knew we were going to be a jump shooting team that relied on the 3 ball. You have to rely on jump shots when your team has no post players. So we either start moving the ball better and making some open shots or we wind up a 500 team that spends the post season at home.

You're right. But of course a month ago we were playing
much different opposition.

Speaking of Brandin Cummings...

It was reported earlier that Cummings was at the Pitt - UNC game. And Cummings 5 star buddy Meleek Thomas was at the Pitt game with him. That's at least the 4th Pitt game Thomas has been to this year.

That 5 star potential reclass would look mighty nice next year with Lowe, Cummings, Carrington and Ish in the backcourt.

Speaking of Brandin Cummings...

It was reported earlier that Cummings was at the Pitt - UNC game. And Cummings 5 star buddy Meleek Thomas was at the Pitt game with him. That's at least the 4th Pitt game Thomas has been to this year.

That 5 star potential reclass would look mighty nice next year with Lowe, Cummings, Carrington and Ish in the backcourt.
He. Is. Not. Reclassing.

Reactions: PittPoker
He. Is. Not. Reclassing.

Maybe he wont. But whoever your source is its irrelevant.

There were about 5 live youtube videos on the Champagnie twins speaking about their recruitment.

And its ironic, because they both said they were going to the same school regardless of where that was and that there was no chance of them reclassing. And I said it was on the table for both of them to come out early and reclass.

Justin commits to Pitt and reclasses, his brother goes back to high school and heads to St. Johns a year later. Funny how that works when someone says something 5 times on live tv and does something completely different later on.

Thomas is way better off as a 2024 recruit, whether he goes to Pitt or not.

Because he can just go to a bball factory, graduate w his normal class and be eligible next year anyways without ever being exposed, if possible. This is an old game

Why would Thomas be exposed? You said he is the best high school recruit from western PA in your lifetime. You also said he would challenge for the #1 spot in the country.

Because he can just go to a bball factory, graduate w his normal class and be eligible next year anyways without ever being exposed, if possible. This is an old game

Did he repeat a grade? Because if he was an 8th grader in 2020-21 that would mean "his class" started HS in 2021-22 and will graduate in Spring 2025 so going to a bball factory doesn't make him eligible for the 2025 draft because that is when his normal class graduates

Their legs and base can absolutely get stronger - which is all that really matters for defense and holding position

What’s going to be exposed ?
If he’s a sure fire nba player - where he plays hs won’t really matter

What’s going to be exposed ?
If he’s a sure fire nba player - where he plays hs won’t really matter

His comment made no sense and he wont answer me. He seems to mean he would rather transfer to a bball factory next year and then enter the 2025 NBA Draft but he cannot do that unless he repeated 9th grade

His comment made no sense and he wont answer me. He seems to mean he would rather transfer to a bball factory next year and then enter the 2025 NBA Draft but he cannot do that unless he repeated 9th grade
Lol my comment made plenty of sense. But you don’t understand what exposed means. If he goes to Pitt, he has to average 15 or higher and be the man to stay a first round pick. If he goes to Kentucky, he can average 10-12 and be a first round pick and not have to be the man all the time. That is how you get exposed. I’m sorry you guys don’t get that.

And original class doesn’t matter. If he has the credits to graduate this year, that’s his class. He can graduate, go play HS hoops another year at a bball factory because of age and try and win a national title. Or go to IMG, do a post grad year then go pro. And if he goes this route, he dominates postgrad ball, every scout in America sees him workout and he never has to prove a thing.

And of course, he’s easily the best HS player around here of my lifetime? He’s a top 10 recruit, who would even be remotely close?

Lol my comment made plenty of sense. But you don’t understand what exposed means. If he goes to Pitt, he has to average 15 or higher and be the man to stay a first round pick. If he goes to Kentucky, he can average 10-12 and be a first round pick and not have to be the man all the time. That is how you get exposed. I’m sorry you guys don’t get that.

And original class doesn’t matter. If he has the credits to graduate this year, that’s his class. He can graduate, go play HS hoops another year at a bball factory because of age and try and win a national title. Or go to IMG, do a post grad year then go pro. And if he goes this route, he dominates postgrad ball, every scout in America sees him workout and he never has to prove a thing.

And of course, he’s easily the best HS player around here of my lifetime? He’s a top 10 recruit, who would even be remotely close?

I'll give you that you make a good point about being able to average 10 at Kentucky and still go Top 10. However, does a kid with a big ego (assuming all of these kids have one) think he cant average 15 at Pitt? He probably thinks he can be ACC POY for how good everyone says he'a going to be. Capel is telling him he's going to the dude. Cal is telling him he's going to be just another option but he'll get him to the lottery anyway.

As for graduating, I dont think you are correct. I believe it still goes by when your original HS class enters 9th grade even if you graduate early. I dont believe there's ever been a player enter the draft a few weeks after their original 9th grade class graduated HS. You'll have to provide a link on that one

I'll give you that you make a good point about being able to average 10 at Kentucky and still go Top 10. However, does a kid with a big ego (assuming all of these kids have one) think he cant average 15 at Pitt? He probably thinks he can be ACC POY for how good everyone says he'a going to be. Capel is telling him he's going to the dude. Cal is telling him he's going to be just another option but he'll get him to the lottery anyway.

As for graduating, I dont think you are correct. I believe it still goes by when your original HS class enters 9th grade even if you graduate early. I dont believe there's ever been a player enter the draft a few weeks after their original 9th grade class graduated HS. You'll have to provide a link on that one
I know I am correct. He will be 19 and removed one year from Hs graduation. It’s all a moot point. He has no plans of reclassifying.

When I say 15, I really mean like 18-20. Like you have to be the freaking man at a lot of schools to be a 1 and done. You go to a college basketball factory you can be a piece and just have moments.

I’d wager he’s confident enough to be the man at Pitt and there’s a good shot he could average 15 + to do it.

I know I am correct. He will be 19 and removed one year from Hs graduation. It’s all a moot point. He has no plans of reclassifying.

When I say 15, I really mean like 18-20. Like you have to be the freaking man at a lot of schools to be a 1 and done. You go to a college basketball factory you can be a piece and just have moments.

I’d wager he’s confident enough to be the man at Pitt and there’s a good shot he could average 15 + to do it.

Alright, well I dont believe you on the graduating early and declaring with his HS class. We'll agree to disagree on that unless you can prove it.

I also don't think his decision will come down to him feeling he needs to average 18 at Pitt but could go the same # by averaging 10 at Kentucky. It will come down to money and if he'd rather the dude or a complentary piece on a better team with a better coach.

The other thing in our favor is we have to sell REAL NIL in addition to the pay for play. Try to get him a deal with Edgar Snyder, Bowser, Giant Eagle, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT