ADVERTISEMENT

UVa 52 CSU 48

That’s not analytics. That’s cherry picking. Your favorite type of analytic

You know what?

Since you are so scared to post your 2025 recruiting targets and portal targets for Pitt, Ill make it simple for you.

List your Elite 8. Because I know you filled out a bracket and we all know you love to gamble or so you claim.

So you and Mr. Virginia can share your tournament picks. Lets see how you do before the games are played.

You know what?

Since you are so scared to post your 2025 recruiting targets and portal targets for Pitt, Ill make it simple for you.

List your Elite 8. Because I know you filled out a bracket and we all know you love to gamble or so you claim.

So you and Mr. Virginia can share your tournament picks. Let’s see how you do before the games are played.
I’m not 13. I don’t fill out a bracket. I bet hundreds of dollars on the games I like and sometimes thousands. I don’t give AF about a bracket.

I’m not 13. I don’t fill out a bracket. I bet hundreds of dollars on the games I like and sometimes thousands. I don’t give AF about a bracket.

Ok. So who are you gambling on the first round?

Common now, you just admitted you gamble. Who are you picking to cover.

Ok. So who are you gambling on the first round?

Common now, you just admitted you gamble. Who are you picking to cover.
I’ll tell you who tomorrow. I’ll tell you who Thursday. You don’t plan on picks days in advance. Lines move. Injuries come up (McCullar). Pretty simple.

If I did fill out a bracket it’s pretty simple. It’s a very chalky type of year and UConn, UNC, Creighton and Kentucky would be my picks with Carolina beating Creighton

You know what?

So you and Mr. Virginia can share your tournament picks. Lets see how you do before the games are played.
Am I Mr. Virginia? Virginia isn't even my favorite team. I just starting following the Hoos since I moved to UVA in 2014 and my kids fell in love with UVA hoops. I grew up liking Kentucky. But I like everybody tba. I'm like a chameleon - My favorite team of all time is the 1994 Arkansas Razorbacks

I don't fill out a bracket.

As far as I'm concerned, the tournament doesn't actually start until the round of 16. The first weekend just weeds out the chokers and the teams aren't championship worthy.

If I had to pick a champion, I'd pick UConn. But I'm pulling for Auburn and Kentucky. I like Bruce Pearl, and Auburn got absolutely screwed in the Final Four game against Virginia.

I think Pitt would.

Tonight's game has nothing to do with Pitt/UVA. I can promise you Pitt's bigs aren't going to shoot 14-20 against UVA. Pitt is also not going to hold UVA to 25% shooting.
I think all of us believe or 99% that Pitt is better than UVA. But ya know it’s ok to enjoy the tournament, especially the real first 2 days coming up without saying every time a team loses Pitt is better than them. Yes Pitt is better than XYZ but Pitt was on the bubble like many teams who could make the same argument they are better than teams XYZ as well.

Kim English of Providence said it well. He stated his case why he felt his team should/could have been in the tournament. Then he manned up and said this:

"It was a disappointing night, but again, it's what you earn," English said of the weekend's upsets. "If you don't take care of the games you're supposed to take care of - Kansas State, at St. John's, at Butler

if you don't take care of those games, you put yourself in position to put your fate in someone else's hands. It's not where you want to be. It's not where we are going to be as a program."

By having a horrible loss to Missouri at home and starting 0-5 in the ACC Pitt put its fate in the hands of others. Credit to JC and Pitt for overcoming an 0-5 ACC start but at the end of the day don’t put yourself in that position to where you have to depend on others.

Reactions: SatelliteTailGate
Pitt was playing its best basketball in its last 10 games and should have been in IMO especially over a team like UVA, but the flaws were still always there and would be fatal against many tournament teams. They simply have nobody that can defend an opposing big, score in the paint or rebound the ball especially offensively. We’re also a team that if the opponent takes away one player’s deep shooting, we’re gonna lose most of the time.

So, a decent team that was playing well and getting better, but not quite a “good” team.
Fair.

By having a horrible loss to Missouri at home and starting 0-5 in the ACC Pitt put its fate in the hands of others. Credit to JC and Pitt for overcoming an 0-5 ACC start but at the end of the day don’t put yourself in that position to where you have to depend on others.
Probably part of the problem is that UVA was ranked a couple times during the season (including during that challenging non-con schedule of theirs), so the committee ADs that don't have time to watch basketball thought UVA was a top 25 or cusp of top 25 team all year just because they were ranked. Meanwhile we played a weak non-con schedule which doesn't help us get into the top 25, and then we had the horrible ACC start which also prevented us from ever becoming ranked. It was too deep of a hole unfortunately.

It's obvious that the committee isn't valuing who is good at the end of the year. Or else we would have been in.

I would bet my life savings and give 1000-1 odds to anybody that Pitt would not be losing this game by 26 points right now. And I dont even gamble. Its basic common sense that Pitt got way better as the season continued and Virginia did not.

Right there, that should be the #1 selection criteria the committee uses before anything else. Did the team improve as the season progressed? How much improvement did they make going into the end of the season? What is the trend? Everything else is secondary, including their nerdy metrics stuff.

Reactions: Lchertik
I would bet my life savings and give 1000-1 odds to anybody that Pitt would not be losing this game by 26 points right now. And I dont even gamble. Its basic common sense that Pitt got way better as the season continued and Virginia did not.

I guarantee that if Pitt were in the tournament, teams wouldn't want to play them. Pitt would beat most teams in the NCAAT except for maybe some....SOME...of the teams in the top 2 seed lines. And I'd bet that Pitt would handle some of them as well. At the end of the year, Pitt was a top 30 team, top 25 if you just look at how improved we were going into the ACCT.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I think all of us believe or 99% that Pitt is better than UVA. But ya know it’s ok to enjoy the tournament, especially the real first 2 days coming up without saying every time a team loses Pitt is better than them. Yes Pitt is better than XYZ but Pitt was on the bubble like many teams who could make the same argument they are better than teams XYZ as well.

Kim English of Providence said it well. He stated his case why he felt his team should/could have been in the tournament. Then he manned up and said this:

"It was a disappointing night, but again, it's what you earn," English said of the weekend's upsets. "If you don't take care of the games you're supposed to take care of - Kansas State, at St. John's, at Butler

if you don't take care of those games, you put yourself in position to put your fate in someone else's hands. It's not where you want to be. It's not where we are going to be as a program."

Good post. I’d add that I think losing to cuse twice was probably as or more damaging than the loss to missou. But I suppose that’s what happens with a young team and a team where the key players had not played together

Given their performance against UNC I think Pitt could have made a nice run. But I also see the point that Pitt’s finish was in part because of how weak the conference was To insiders point they really didn’t beat anyone good. IMO. The best team they beat was wake had they pulled out the game against Clemson we may be watching them

Reactions: 4upmc
CSU is really bad. I watched them play, rooting hard for them to beat UNM but they are completely impotent. MWC going for 12th straight NCAAT loss by teams not named San Diego State
"oh, golly gee, I was wrong"..... go ahead give it a try for once in your life.

Reactions: 4upmc
There are 2 wild things that stick out to me.

The first is that, this is now the 8th time this season that Virginia has lost by at least 15+ points in a game. There are some historians on this site that know a lot of stats and records and stuff, I wonder what the record is for the most blowout losses in a single season for 1 team to still make the NCAA Tournament. Virginia has to be pushing the all time record for an at large team. They have got their asses kicked in a lot of different games.

Of the 4 top teams in the ACC, Virginia's record is 0-3

Of the NCAA Tournament teams from the ACC, Virginia's record is 2-4.
That 15-point loss stat is interesting given how good UVA has always been defensively. Even this year; they are top 3 in the country in scoring defense. UVA losing by 15 to anyone is equivalent to like a 25-plus point loss to most teams.

Just goes to show how god awful, historically bad their offense is this year. I mean, they’ve got Beekman and absolutely nothing else.

You have to wonder when they are going to watch more actual basketball games with the true eye test of who is improving throughout the season and less staring at computers metrics.

I mean, I like computer metrics and efficiency too. But that cant be the be all end all for everything. All these coaches and players are saying the eye test matters, and the Scott Barnes and his band of computer nerds on the selection committee disagree.

Congrats guys, you got a team that is losing by 25 points that a lot of people probably turned off by halftime. The computer nerds got what they asked for, a lousy game.
If they’re using the right metrics and data, they could easily determine who’s playing their best down the stretch on metrics alone even without watching 200 teams play every game, which they won’t be doing, and which nobody on the committee ever did.

If they’re using the right metrics and data, they could easily determine who’s playing their best down the stretch on metrics alone even without watching 200 teams play every game, which they won’t be doing, and which nobody on the committee ever did.

The last 10 games used to be used in seeding NCAA Tournament teams many years ago.

That 15-point loss stat is interesting given how good UVA has always been defensively. Even this year; they are top 3 in the country in scoring defense. UVA losing by 15 to anyone is equivalent to like a 25-plus point loss to most teams.

Just goes to show how god awful, historically bad their offense is this year. I mean, they’ve got Beekman and absolutely nothing else.

And Beekman is extremely overrated. Cory Alexander when on a tirade about how he didnt make 1st Team saying it was the worst decision he's ever seen in the ACC. Huh? Over who? I wouldn't put him on 1st team. Maybe not 2nd team.

And Beekman is extremely overrated. Cory Alexander when on a tirade about how he didnt make 1st Team saying it was the worst decision he's ever seen in the ACC. Huh? Over who? I wouldn't put him on 1st team. Maybe not 2nd team.
No he isn't. He's won ACC defensive player of the year in back to back years. I'd hate to see what this year's UVA team would have looked like them without Beekman.

Cory Alexander is a homer.

The last 10 games used to be used in seeding NCAA Tournament teams many years ago.
I know, who was hot and peaking was always a factor, and I agree with you that it should still be. But you have to admit, there was a lot of subjectivity to that, and the committee members weren't watching games until conference tournament time, they were probably just following the hot/cold and injury trends down the regular season stretch as they were being reported by outlets like ESPN.

Reactions: TD_6082
Virginia is god awful. We'd beat them by 30 if we played now on a neutral floor.
Honestly IMO Pitt should have been in before Clemson as well IMO, based on the last month of the season.

I see them as one and done based on the way they sputtered down the stretch, and UNM is coming in on a heater.

I see UNC and Duke as legit FF teams. The rest of the ACC field is pretty close to trash.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Honestly IMO Pitt should have been in before Clemson as well IMO, based on the last month of the season.

I see them as one and done based on the way they sputtered down the stretch, and UNM is coming in on a heater.

I see UNC and Duke as legit FF teams. The rest of the ACC field is pretty close to trash.

Clemson beat Boise and TCU in November so they were a lock.

No he isn't. He's won ACC defensive player of the year in back to back years. I'd hate to see what this year's UVA team would have looked like them without Beekman.

Cory Alexander is a homer.
Your constant slobbering all over Virginia's jock and bashing Pitt is getting real old.

Reactions: FireballZ
As I was reading though the thread I was hoping someone would point that out. We wouldn't even have been favored, let alone a six point favorite.
Unlike many on here I think SMF brings up some good points from time to time, but not so much with his gambling related takes. They are almost universally factually incorrect in some way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT