ADVERTISEMENT

Wake Forest Game @ The Pete & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** It's a win, so why not dribble!

** Someone asked me why I didn't write after last game, and I explained that my heart just wasn't in it.

** But what I told him I concluded from last game was very much the same that I would conclude about this game. First, it's very good to see that the remainder of the team has responded well to the extreme adversity they have faced in the last several days. No one has packed it in, and everyone seems committed to making the most of the remainder of the season.

** This of course, is not a remarkable accomplishment. But no one would have been surprised if everything had all gone further south too.

** The second conclusion from both games is that I'm convinced we aren't headed for a Stallings-like 0-18 disaster next year, even if Justin leaves for the NBA as I expect him to.

** Now keep in mind that 0-18 is really special kind of bad, so I was never thinking it would be quite at that low anyway. But I was thinking about a 2-3 ACC win season. I think now that we can be at least a little better than that. Not much, but better. Maybe avoiding last place, or even next to last. But still a long way to go.

** The third thing I thought about last game is that Femi has a really good chance to be a really good ACC guard. Even though Femi wasn't as good this time out, I will still stick with this point.

** Who would have thought 10 days ago that we'd actually be clamoring for Nike to stick around? Now keep in mind that his stellar performance today should be tempered knowing that he banked in a three, and another was a brick that died on the rim then fell him. But today he demonstrated that he's a capable ACC level player who probably could be counted on for 15-20 minutes on a regular basis.

** I simply do not know what has happened to Ithiel. He looks completely disengaged and uninspired. Every Panther but IH seems to have risen the the occasion, but he looks like the situation has gotten the best of him for now.

** It was nice to see William play significant minutes and produce. Some tools are evident, and he certainly plays with his heart on his sleeve (I mean that as a good thing). But I still need to see more before I'm convinced he'll fill the promise of a four-star recruit.

** Congrats to Terrell. Like everyone else, I've grumbled about his play over four years. But a post by @levance2 really realigned my thinking on TB. He's stuck through four of the worst years of Pitt Basketball, and a stretch when they have averaged about 4 conference wins a season. I'm not suggesting we celebrate his skills, but instead appreciate his loyalty.

** Hopefully HCJC will be able to pull some magic out of his mask and find some capable players who get play some important minutes. I'm not optimistic this can be pulled off, and along those lines, I think I'd rather Terrell stick around and play some spot minutes than take a long reach on a big who just isn't ready to play.

** We already have one of those bigs in Max, and even Noah is not much further along unfortunately.

** The following statement is both a compliment and a negative for Coach Capel. There were many points moments today when we watched some of our most consistent execution of an offense of the season. So I'm glad to see Coach could get the guys all back on the same page. But it does make one wonder why we've struggled so much in the last several games to play on the same page.

** I'll end with Justin. Earlier I stated my belief that he will go pro after this season. I sure hope not, for no other reason that I'd simply just love to watch him one more year. Because of the turmoil this year has been, I'm not sure we have completely appreciated how good he really has been.

** His 20 and 13 production today looked nearly effortless.

** And that isn't to say he wasn't providing full effort. In fact, I liked his defensive effort better in this game than in quite some time.

** Many of us wondered if the knee was bothering him in some games in the past four weeks, and if it was, perhaps he's feeling a bit better.

** So now I'm looking forward to the Clemson game on Saturday. Closing the regular season with two wins would be really nice step for the program, all other things considered.

** But regardless, congrats on the win tonight!

** Someone asked me why I didn't write after last game, and I explained that my heart just wasn't in it.

** But what I told him I concluded from last game was very much the same that I would conclude about this game. The first is, it's very good to see that the remainder of the team has responded well to the extreme adversity they have faced in the last several days. No one has packed it in, and everyone seems committed to making the most of the remainder of the season.

** This, of course, is not a remarkable accomplishment. But no one would have been surprised if everything had all gone further south too.

** The second conclusion from both games is that I'm convinced we aren't headed for a Stallings-like 0-18 disaster next year, even if Justin leaves for the NBA as I expect him to.

** Now keep in mind that 0-18 is really special kind of bad, so I was never thinking it would be quite at that low anyway. But I was thinking about a 2-3 ACC win season. I think now that we can be at least a little better than that. Not much, but better. Maybe avoiding last place, or even next to last. But still a long way to go.

** The third thing I thought about last game is that Femi has a really good chance to be a really good ACC guard. Even though Femi wasn't as good this time out, I will still stick with this point.

** Who would have thought 10 days ago that we'd actually be clamoring for Nike to stick around? Now keep in mind that his stellar performance today should be tempered knowing that he banked in a three, and another was a brick that died on the rim then fell him. But today he demonstrated that he's a capable ACC level player who probably could be counted on for 15-20 minutes on a regular basis.

** I simply do not know what has happened to Ithiel. He looks completely disengaged and uninspired. Every Panther but IH seems to have risen the the occasion, but he looks like the situation has gotten the best of him for now.

** Congrats to Terrell. Like everyone else, I've grumbled about his play over four years. But a post by @levance2 really realigned my thinking on TB. He's stuck through four of the worst years of Pitt Basketball, and a stretch when they have averaged about 4 conference wins a season. I'm not suggesting we celebrate his skills, but instead appreciate his loyalty.

** Hopefully HCJC will be able to pull some magic out of his mask and find some capable players who get play some important minutes. I'm not optimistic this can be pulled off, and along those lines, I think I'd rather Terrell stick around and play some spot minutes than take a long reach on a big who just isn't ready to play.

** We already have one of those in Max, and even Noah is not much further along unfortunately.

** The following statement is both a compliment and a negative for Coach Capel. There were many points moments today when we watched some of our most consistent execution of an offense. So I'm glad to see Coach could get the guys all back on the same page. But it does make one wonder why we've struggled so much in the last several games to play on the same page.

** I'll end with Justin. Earlier I stated my belief that he will go pro after this season. I sure hope not, for no other reason that I'd simply just love to watch him one more year. Because of the turmoil this year has been, I'm not sure we have completely appreciated how good he really has been.

** And that isn't to say he wasn't providing full effort. In fact, I liked his defensive effort better in this game than in quite some time.

** Many of us wondered if the knee was bothering him in some games in the past four weeks, and if it was, perhaps he's feeling a bit better.

** So now I'm looking forward to the Clemson game on Saturday. Closing the regular season with two wins would be really nice step for the program, all other things considered.

** I'm glad we got to see William play real
Dribble away my brutha!!!

** But what I told him I concluded from last game was very much the same that I would conclude about this game. The first is, it's very good to see that the remainder of the team has responded well to the extreme adversity they have faced in the last several days. No one has packed it in, and everyone seems committed to making the most of the remainder of the season.

** This, of course, is not a remarkable accomplishment. But no one would have been surprised if everything had all gone further south too.

** It was nice to see William play significant minutes and produce. Some tools are evident, and he certainly plays with his heart on his sleeve (I mean that as a good thing). But I still need to see more before I'm convinced he'll fill the promise of a four-star recruit.

** We already have one of those in Max, and even Noah is not much further along unfortunately.

** The following statement is both a compliment and a negative for Coach Capel. There were many points moments today when we watched some of our most consistent execution of an offense. So I'm glad to see Coach could get the guys all back on the same page. But it does make one wonder why we've struggled so much in the last several games to play on the same page.

Hugley is unlikely but still would not say he is not coming back 100 percent say 20percent chance he is back.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
Hugley is unlikely but still would not say he is not coming back 100 percent say 20percent chance he is back.

I wouldn't say there is not a chance. But it's probably not even as high as 20 percent. We'll see. All we can do is wait and see I guess.

** But what I told him I concluded from last game was very much the same that I would conclude about this game. First, it's very good to see that the remainder of the team has responded well to the extreme adversity they have faced in the last several days. No one has packed it in, and everyone seems committed to making the most of the remainder of the season.

** This of course, is not a remarkable accomplishment. But no one would have been surprised if everything had all gone further south too.

** We already have one of those bigs in Max, and even Noah is not much further along unfortunately.

** The following statement is both a compliment and a negative for Coach Capel. There were many points moments today when we watched some of our most consistent execution of an offense of the season. So I'm glad to see Coach could get the guys all back on the same page. But it does make one wonder why we've struggled so much in the last several games to play on the same page.

Yay it’s back.

I think Horton saw my Pantherlair preseason projection of points and decided to make me right and Vader wrong.

I agree with you about Jeffress. I think he has a shot to be solid. Living up to the 4 star status seems like it will be a stretch if for no other reason than he can’t shoot. I feel like I’m watching a completely different game than Pitt Twitter fans are. The effusive praise for him is so over the top it’s insane. I honestly feel he could take a shit on the court and it would be the greatest thing ever.

Yay it’s back.

I think Horton saw my Pantherlair preseason projection of points and decided to make me right and Vader wrong.

I agree with you about Jeffress. I think he has a shot to be solid. Living up to the 4 star status seems like it will be a stretch if for no other reason than he can’t shoot. I feel like I’m watching a completely different game than Pitt Twitter fans are. The effusive praise for him is so over the top it’s insane. I honestly feel he could take a shit on the court and it would be the greatest thing ever.

My prediction for Horton preseason was an ORTG Power Rating between 100-110. I said this multiple times.

He currently sits at 101.8 ORTG for the entire season. He is a 104.7 ORTG in ACC conference play.

With that said, I said today at halftime that I thought he looked like he checked out. If that is the case and if Horton cannot buy into the principles that Jeff Capel is coaching and teaching, then he should perhaps consider other options.

With that said, I hope he buys in and has a 1 on 1 with the Coach, soon.

Yay it’s back.

I think it’s a combination of the local kid bump (Erie counts) and the fact that everything he does is given a little bit of extra credit because of his age. But I think it’s a lot of the local bump.

Yay it’s back.

He went for a career high today!! Ahem...8 points.

Yay it’s back.

Jeffress is really easy to root for, that's for sure. And he played really well on defense today. I wouldn't say "he can't shoot" just yet, but we also don't know yet if he can.

I guess that the best way to describe him today was that this was the first time he didn't look overmatched. And that's a very good thing, because he's still so young. But at this stage, I think a good hope for the kind of season he could have next year is a similar season that Toney had as a freshman.

Yay it’s back.

His defense was very good
I like that he took shots -
Being hesitant isn’t helping This team

I think it’s a combination of the local kid bump (Erie counts) and the fact that everything he does is given a little bit of extra credit because of his age. But I think it’s a lot of the local bump.

He went for a career high today!! Ahem...8 points.
Which is what I’m saying. He’s fine. But he went for 8 points on 9 shots and there are comparisons of him to Hall of Famers... I mean, let’s relax and let the kid grow and not put unrealistic expectations on him.

Jeffress is really easy to root for, that's for sure. And he played really well on defense today. I wouldn't say "he can't shoot" just yet, but we also don't know yet if he can.

I guess that the best way to describe him today was that this was the first time he didn't look overmatched. And that's a very good thing, because he's still so young. But at this stage, I think a good hope for the kind of season he could have next year is a similar season that Toney had as a freshman.
How much data do you need DT? He’s shooting 11 percent from 3 and 22 percent overall for the season.

** His 20 and 13 production today looked nearly effortless

1. Agree that next year could be grim. Ain't much left in the 21 class. Will have to hit a HR w/ transfer, juco or get bigtime reclass. Not likely. But who knows. Seems like HCJC has gotten pass thus far for having recruited NO ONE yet for next yr.

2. Think you're underrating Sibande. Good for 15-20 min? He just showed the last 2 games what he can do in 37-38 min a game. Getting bad shots to fall is part of scoring. He's legit. Very fast and springy. Seems fearless.

3. Same for Jeffress. HCJC also gets a low grade for not finding him (and Sibande) minutes earlier this year. He's nowhere near a finished product but Jeffress has credibly played when given the chance.

4. If you can channel ACCN color man Mark Wise (see "effortless" quote above, I can quote myself.) When Horton isn't hitting his shot, he is weaknesses really stand out. He didn't look uninspired; over-matched may be closer. I think he can be a useful part and he's a good rebounder for a guard, but his shot has got to in or he's a negative.

Reactions: PittPoker

Regarding next year...

It was said by Nike in the press conference tonight that the team in quote "is all with Capel's plan" and he said if Capel feels that he would be a piece to help the team win next year, he will sacrifice and return to Pitt. Nike wants to win and help the team win.

With that said, we are still involved with some heavy hitters that could help this team next year. And Ill leave it at that for now.

Reactions: ialwaysknow
Regarding next year...

It was said by Nike in the press conference tonight that the team in quote "is all with Capel's plan" and he said if Capel feels that he would be a piece to help the team win next year, he will sacrifice and return to Pitt. Nike wants to win and help the team win.

With that said, we are still involved with some heavy hitters that could help this team next year. And Ill leave it at that for now.
You don’t think keeping Nike who has obviously been underutilized a big hitter? That seems like the biggest hitter we can possibly get.

1. Agree that next year could be grim. Ain't much left in the 21 class. Will have to hit a HR w/ transfer, juco or get bigtime reclass. Not likely. But who knows. Seems like HCJC has gotten pass thus far for having recruited NO ONE yet for next yr.

2. Think you're underrating Sibande. Good for 15-20 min? He just showed the last 2 games what he can do in 37-38 min a game. Getting bad shots to fall is part of scoring. He's legit. Very fast and springy. Seems fearless.

3. Same for Jeffress. HCJC also gets a low grade for not finding him (and Sibande) minutes earlier this year. He's nowhere near a finished product but Jeffress has credibly played when given the chance.

4. If you can channel ACCN color man Mark Wise (see "effortless" quote above, I can quote myself.) When Horton isn't hitting his shot, he is weaknesses really stand out. He didn't look uninspired; over-matched may be closer. I think he can be a useful part and he's a good rebounder for a guard, but his shot has got to in or he's a negative.

Hope you are right about Nike. Maybe I am selling him short and he really is springy. But I also don't think he's a full time guard on a top half ACC team.

I'm not sure what is going on his Ithiel.

Reactions: Nibblio
All you have done all season is crap on Jeffress and it seems unnecessarily over the top.
He craps on a local kid that attends Pitt, but will stand up and defend local players that have done nothing at other schools.
I’ve posted plenty about other players. So that’s obviously not accurate. I’m sorry for posting his stats and that being “over the top”...
Do you call out these weak stats as well? He’s 3 years older than WJ.

He craps on a local kid that attends Pitt, but will stand up and defend local players that have done nothing at other schools.

Do you call out these weak stats as well?
Yeah western PA talent has been TERRIBLE as freshmen this year. Go look at how many kids within Western Pa, and I’m counting Jeffress and Puff, went D1 compared to other years? They’re all struggling, BIGLY. Who cares how much older he is? He’s the same age as Femi and people keep saying he will get better. But Ethan can’t? Wonder why people think that...

Do you call out these weak stats as well? He’s 3 years older than WJ.
Get your popcorn ready

I’ll say I’m glad we took femi

Yeah western PA talent has been TERRIBLE as freshmen this year. Go look at how many kids within Western Pa, and I’m counting Jeffress and Puff, went D1 compared to other years? They’re all struggling, BIGLY. Who cares how much older he is? He’s the same age as Femi and people keep saying he will get better. But Ethan can’t? Wonder why people think that...
Anybody that thought WJ would burst onto the scene as a 17 year old and do immediate damage is a fool. He will be a very good college player when it is all said and done. Maverick Rowan was still in 10th grade at the same age.

Great job.
Justin is not going pro. He doesn’t have the tools yet.

Reactions: TWPitt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT