ADVERTISEMENT

What happens if....

Year 6 of the Narduzzi tenure, we end up under .500? Does Lyke give Narduzzi slack because of the pandemic? The schedule looks daunting, and I’m not sure year 7 will be any different than year 6. There was a post yesterday that Narduzzi’s kids go to class and work hard, but when does Lyke decide that Narduzzi being a nice guy isn’t getting us closer to an ACC Championship?
I think Narduzzi gets a pass because he has handled the pandemic very well. As long as keeps players following disease-prevention protocols he will be fine. Add to that how much the good university behavior you describe is exactly what Pitt wants.

Certainly, somewhere out there is a running back or two who can help this program....please.

Yeah. She has an extensive track record for hiring Head Football coaches.
That's great that she fixed soccer and volleyball for the girls.
This isnt about getting a new HC anyways.
And could someone please tell me what she will do with Capel? His first and second years were both meh, Pitt is picked far down the conference standings for this year...when does Capel break through?

Lyke won't do anything with Narduzzi until there is a fan rebellion. Not anywhere close. But the initial signs - increased criticism by fans and now a hit job in the Trib - are there.

I have a hard time listening to Zeise these days. Don't think he has the pulse of the program.

Yes, but only if you're not familiar with how rhetorical questions work.

It's super easy and super lazy to just fire away on a message board that the coach needs fired. It's rhetorical because given what we know about Pitt's history, there's not going to be a big splash hire and it's pretty likely the program steps backwards, again. You hate 8 win seasons but are prepared to do a couple of 5 or 6 win seasons to try again and probably get the same results by year 6. Wash, rinse, repeat. Nobody is happy that Pitt football hasn't won 10 games in a dozen years but there has been very little thought given to building a program and creating some momentum before you just blow the whole thing up. Dumping Narduzzi probably sets everything back another 5 years and transfers alone will crush the program. Pitt continues to have the reputation of being a mess.
So you’re OK with sucking with Narduzzi because you don’t think we’ll be able to make a splash hire and everyone will de-commit or transfer? I would imagine North Carolina fan felt the same way about Fedora. Look what happened to them after hiring Mack Brown. Change isn’t preferred, but this program is in a rut, and if Narduzzi showed that he was capable of hiring decent coaches, I’d be all for keeping him. But, when you add up Narduzzi’s flaws, poor coaching, very average recruiting, poor assist hires....I’m not sure you keep someone like that.

So you’re OK with sucking with Narduzzi because you don’t think we’ll be able to make a splash hire and everyone will de-commit or transfer? I would imagine North Carolina fan felt the same way about Fedora. Look what happened to them after hiring Mack Brown. Change isn’t preferred, but this program is in a rut, and if Narduzzi showed that he was capable of hiring decent coaches, I’d be all for keeping him. But, when you add up Narduzzi’s flaws, poor coaching, very average recruiting, poor assist hires....I’m not sure you keep someone like that.

Who is Pitt's, Mack Brown? Bringing back Wanny?

Who is Pitt's, Mack Brown? Bringing back Wanny?
Pitt doesn’t have a Mack Brown. Assume Narduzzi survives this season, and there’s a good chance he will, and assume next season sucks, does Pitt pursue Hafley assuming he has success at BC? I mean he’s a dynamic recruiter, been here before, NFL experience and he’s 41.

He hadn’t had Mack brown level of success since Jackie sherrill
It sure ain’t wanny

Pitt doesn’t have a Mack Brown. Assume Narduzzi survives this season, and there’s a good chance he will, and assume next season sucks, does Pitt pursue Hafley assuming he has success at BC? I mean he’s a dynamic recruiter, been here before, NFL experience and he’s 41.

Well, Mack Brown did lose to that bum Narduzzi last year and ended up 7-6. He's recruiting well but we've watched other schools supposedly do that in the ACC and struggle. Hafley? Guess we'll see.

Well, Mack Brown did lose to that bum Narduzzi last year and ended up 7-6. He's recruiting well but we've watched other schools supposedly do that in the ACC and struggle. Hafley? Guess we'll see.
All that is true, 7-6 was sub par. But, he found a stud QB who may end up being a franchise QB in a few years. And this week they’re number 8 in the Country. Narduzzi in 6 years hasn’t cracked the top 20.

Well I was referring to Mack’s first stint at unc
Who knows if going back to the future will work
We’ll probably lose

All that is true, 7-6 was sub par. But, he found a stud QB who may end up being a franchise QB in a few years. And this week they’re number 8 in the Country. Narduzzi in 6 years hasn’t cracked the top 20.

That stud QB struggled against BC. The ranking is base on the hype and the easiest schedule in the ACC. First real test is this week. Like I said, we'll see.

Well I was referring to Mack’s first stint at unc
Who knows if going back to the future will work
We’ll probably lose

You know that I'm not defending Narduzzi as a great coach. He's pretty average. This is just a practical observation of the program and what that kind of change does to it. If I thought Pitt could hire "the guy" tomorrow, I'd be all in but I don't see it, yet.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Bringing back Wanny?

white-flag.jpg

Narduzzi is a decent coach. He has a good defensive staff. The offensive side of the ball needs an overhaul. Beatty is a keeper, but they need an influx of young, aggressive recruiters and an innovative OC. If he makes good hires, then I could see us getting to the 10 win mark in the near future. If he keeps the same coaches in place on offense, then we will be stuck in the 5-8 win range.

Mack Brown has at least shown he’s willing to innovate. That’s the problem with Narduzzi.

Every coach is a risk. What you look for, or at least are willing to stick it out for, is a coach that is willing to adapt and be on the cutting edge. Admit mistakes.
Look at Manny Diaz at Miami. He comes in, hires an OC that ran a traditional offense within the historical Miami, “pro-form” mold. After one season Diaz realized that is a mistake, and went out and hired a guy that runs an innovate, uptempo style tailor made for Miami and modern football. And it worked.
Mack Brown didn’t come in and make tired, boring hires. He prioritized guys that can recruit within the geographic region, and young, innovate coordinators. Maybe it doesn’t work this season, but you can at least take some comfort that Brown has shown he’s going to push to keep UNC at the forefront. And eventually, that probably will work.

Narduzzi just keeps doubling down on the same stuff. The same boring hires. You don’t stick it out with Narduzzi because what he wants isn’t ever goIng to work. He has no interest in the type of offensive hires that Brown and Diaz have made. He’s shown no desire to admit a mistake and institute the change that is needed as it relates to his offensive vision. We’re only in Year 6 and this is basically the end of the Dantonio era at Michigan State.

Reactions: sherepower
Mack Brown has at least shown he’s willing to innovate. That’s the problem with Narduzzi.

Every coach is a risk. What you look for, or at least are willing to stick it out for, is a coach that is willing to adapt and be on the cutting edge. Admit mistakes.
Look at Manny Diaz at Miami. He comes in, hires an OC that ran a traditional offense within the historical Miami, “pro-form” mold. After one season Diaz realized that is a mistake, and went out and hired a guy that runs an innovate, uptempo style tailor made for Miami and modern football. And it worked.
Mack Brown didn’t come in and make tired, boring hires. He prioritized guys that can recruit within the geographic region, and young, innovate coordinators. Maybe it doesn’t work this season, but you can at least take some comfort that Brown has shown he’s going to push to keep UNC at the forefront. And eventually, that probably will work.

Narduzzi just keeps doubling down on the same stuff. The same boring hires. You don’t stick it out with Narduzzi because what he wants isn’t ever goIng to work. He has no interest in the type of offensive hires that Brown and Diaz have made. He’s shown no desire to admit a mistake and institute the change that is needed as it relates to his offensive vision. We’re only in Year 6 and this is basically the end of the Dantonio era at Michigan State.

My comments were never meant to suggest Narduzzi is the guy. I just don’t know that blowing things up again is a great idea. It feels like one step forward and two steps back every time.

For those who are fear mongers. That continue to say we can do so much worse. LISTEN UP!

We went through something like 5 coaches in 5 years. Definitely our low water mark. Yet, the football program only lost less than 6 games one time. That was Narduzzi’s 3rd year when we won 5.
Pitt has never sunk to the depths of other programs who only won 1-3 games in a season. That was able to climb themselves out from the bottom of college football to go on and win 10 games after making a good hire.

For those who are fear mongers. That continue to say we can do so much worse. LISTEN UP!

We went through something like 5 coaches in 5 years. Definitely our low water mark. Yet, the football program only lost less than 6 games one time. That was Narduzzi’s 3rd year when we won 5.
Pitt has never sunk to the depths of other programs who only won 1-3 games in a season. That was able to climb themselves out from the bottom of college football to go on and win 10 games after making a good hire.
Our lower water mark was 1992-1996.

Reactions: BFo8

I have posted often....we haven't won fewer than 5 games in a season in over 20 years. A streak longer than ND, PSU, Michigan, WVU, Michigan State and Florida to name a few.

Reactions: sherepower
I have posted often....we haven't won fewer than 5 games in a season in over 20 years. A streak longer than ND, PSU, Michigan, WVU, Michigan State and Florida to name a few.

That’s an interesting stat. Which kind of illustrates that we’ve been stuck in the same ish position for quite some time when taken with the post above mine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT