ADVERTISEMENT

Which ACC teams haven't signed a transfer?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Pitt was the last ACC team to get a commitment from a HS player. Will it be the last to get a transfer?

Something is going seriously wrong in recruiting.

so what is the current state of the program and the 3 year results?
just peachy right? he has done an impeccable job and the program is in great shape right?
Nobody would argue we all wanted to be further ahead, however there is nothing to otherwise show that Capel is busting his tail trying to put a very good product on the court next year. Let’s try and remain optimistic here. Recruiting is like batting average...well your just going to make more outs than hits...

Nobody would argue we all wanted to be further ahead, however there is nothing to otherwise show that Capel is busting his tail trying to put a very good product on the court next year. Let’s try and remain optimistic here. Recruiting is like batting average...well your just going to make more outs than hits...

i agree on the hits and outs piece. i have never accused the guy of sitting on his thumbs. im sure he is working. my view is he just isnt very good at it and the current optics and 3 year history are showing that he isnt

Who cares. All that matters is who is signed at the end of the day. Not when.
Correct but the longer you go without signing anyone and the more kids you whiff on, the more likely it is that your recruiting class is going to suck. And this is what these are now. These are transfer "recruiting classes." Everyone is going to have to sign 2-4 transfers from now on.

Big week, big week
Reid is the biggest single recruiting decision we've had in many years. If he signs, an NIT bid is possible and even the NCAAT if Champagnie comes back. In fact, Champagnie is more likely to return to Pitt (instead of transferring) if he pulls out of the draft if we have Reid.

Landing Reid also makes Pitt more attractive to current grad transfers and 2022 HS recruits.

So yes, big big week. If we don't get Reid, I hate to say this but its probably the beginning of the end for Capel.

Reid is the biggest single recruiting decision we've had in many years. If he signs, an NIT bid is possible and even the NCAAT if Champagnie comes back. In fact, Champagnie is more likely to return to Pitt (instead of transferring) if he pulls out of the draft if we have Reid.

Landing Reid also makes Pitt more attractive to current grad transfers and 2022 HS recruits.

So yes, big big week. If we don't get Reid, I hate to say this but its probably the beginning of the end for Capel.
Although dramatic, honestly who could argue with this. This week with Reid’s decision is absolutely pivotal on the future direction of this program.

Although in the minority I had always thought Justin returns for one more year, not to say he did or didn’t need it but I had thought he would want to come back. If he does, and Reid signs, and these other guys improve like we hope they will...well there might just be something there to work with!

Champagnie isn’t transferring. He isn’t getting drafted either, most people I think realize this but most Pitt fans don’t understand how the NBA drafts so I guess they get a pass.

His best move is to turn pro and play overseas somewhere. Coming back isn’t going to help his draft status one iota, he needs to start getting paid to play basketball ASAP. As a Pitt fan I’d love to see him back, but it’s not in his best interest.

Champagnie isn’t transferring. He isn’t getting drafted either, most people I think realize this but most Pitt fans don’t understand how the NBA drafts so I guess they get a pass.

His best move is to turn pro and play overseas somewhere. Coming back isn’t going to help his draft status one iota, he needs to start getting paid to play basketball ASAP. As a Pitt fan I’d love to see him back, but it’s not in his best interest.
As a fan, I hope he's back. But, generally, I think most players stay in college too long. There's nothing wrong with leaving after your 1st or 2nd season if you can make a team in one of the top Euro leagues.

Reactions: BFo8
Personally I hope he is back too, but you have to go after a paycheck. A college degree can always be had afterward. I would have signed for a pizza and six pack (albeit different sport) but point still stands.

Normally I would be worried. But this is a really strange year or two. So I'm more inclined to take a wait and see approach. He does need to avoid a late season long losing streak collapse this year regardless of anything. Another one of those and I think he might be gone next year.

We were the last team to sign a HS player. If we are the last team to sign a transfer, you don't think that is a sign that our recruiting is below the line?

Depends on who the transfer is. A lot of the guys that we haven't signed are guys that a) I didn't want and b) I'm not convinced were takes if they wanted to come. You'd have to share some of your peyote with me for me to believe Greg Parham had a committable offer, for example.

Depends on who the transfer is. A lot of the guys that we haven't signed are guys that a) I didn't want and b) I'm not convinced were takes if they wanted to come. You'd have to share some of your peyote with me for me to believe Greg Parham had a committable offer, for example.
I will give you Greg Parham.

look at where the rest landed.

can you honestly tell me most would not be a take for Pitt?

Right!

We have 7 players. There's no way mid-majors averaginf 17 PPG arent takes. We need to field a team.

Reactions: gary2
I will give you Greg Parham.

look at where the rest landed.

can you honestly tell me most would not be a take for Pitt?

Right!

I'm not going to go name by name, but I would hope Michael Parr and Aaron Wheeler weren't takes either. Guys like Davion Warren and Jarrod West looked good and I'd have been happy to have them, but it is what it is. I'm not going to lose sleep over the likes of Greg Gantt, Aaron Wheeler, etc.

You act like everyone on that list you post is a star player that we're doomed without, but the reality is that there are a few fairly big time transfers we never had a shot at, a few guys that look solid and a few guys that decided not to transfer at all. You'd have to be cripplingly insecure to freak out about someone choosing the likes of St. John's over us.

I'm not going to go name by name, but I would hope Michael Parr and Aaron Wheeler weren't takes either. Guys like Davion Warren and Jarrod West looked good and I'd have been happy to have him. I'm not going to lose sleep on the likes of Greg Gantt, Aaron Wheeler, etc.

You act like everyone on that list you post is a star player that we're doomed without, but the reality is that there are a few fairly big time transfers we never had a shot at, a few guys that look solid and a few guys that decided not to transfer at all. You'd have to be cripplingly insecure to freak out about someone choosing the likes of St. John's over us.
So you will stick with your one “outlier”.

Oh, you do mention Michael Parr but I don’t know who the hell that is.

Michael Durr is 7 foot and is going to Virginia Tech. I am sure they are not taking our “rejects”

I don’t think NC ST is taking our rejects either.

So you will stick with your one “outlier”.

Oh, you do mention Michael Parr but I don’t know who the hell that is.

Michael Durr is 7 foot and is going to Virginia Tech. I am sure they are not taking our “rejects”

I don’t think NC ST is taking our rejects either.

Michael Durr is so terrible that I can't remember his name. Only you obsess over these nobodies.

Michael Durr is so terrible that I can't remember his name. Only you obsess over these nobodies.
You can remember his name but Mike Young sure can.

Maybe that says more about you than Michael Durr?

You can remember his name but Mike Young sure can.

Maybe that says more about you than Michael Durr?

A 7 footer that shot 41% in the AAC is not someone worth thinking about, let alone getting upset over. Please seek help.

Reactions: TWPitt
A 7 footer that shot 41% in the AAC is not someone worth thinking about, let alone getting upset over. Please seek help.
I guess you and the current ACC COY are in disagreement.

I know whose opinion I am going with.

I guess you and the current ACC COY are in disagreement.

I know whose opinion I am going with.

You'd go with whosever opinion invalidated your insecurity. If we signed Durr, you'd be whining about how signing a 7 footer from an inferior conference with a worse shooting percentage than Terrell Brown was the best we could do.

Why is this even a conversation?
well its a practical take, thats why. i live out here in mountain west country.
Unlv's football class like every mwc team rolls in 45 to 60 days before signing. its whats left after big boys pick it over.
the thread is not unreasonable. look no further than top 150 c list. 2 guys left
where were we? we were on 1 who is left but most likely could have had any number of those other players. thats 148 strikouts at one position.

our chances with reid seem to be dying

Correct but the longer you go without signing anyone and the more kids you whiff on, the more likely it is that your recruiting class is going to suck. And this is what these are now. These are transfer "recruiting classes." Everyone is going to have to sign 2-4 transfers from now on.
There is the possibility that there will be more transfers than actual roster sports. Even if he’s picking from the bottom of the list of transfers, there still will be decent players to choose from. If he hits a home run and gets a 4 or 5 star bonus. I suspect most of the players he will try to recruit will be 2 or 3 stars that he can coach and fit into the system. This isn’t Duke with all its appeal. He needs coachable players. I don’t see him wavering on this out of principle. Tim O’Toole is their lead recruiter. Capel is the closer. They need a big man who can play right away, a point who can challenge Femi and depth. Champagnie will likely stay another year to improve draft stock. That will make them .500 next year. The sky isn’t falling.

There is the possibility that there will be more transfers than actual roster sports. Even if he’s picking from the bottom of the list of transfers, there still will be decent players to choose from. If he hits a home run and gets a 4 or 5 star bonus. I suspect most of the players he will try to recruit will be 2 or 3 stars that he can coach and fit into the system. This isn’t Duke with all its appeal. He needs coachable players. I don’t see him wavering on this out of principle. Tim O’Toole is their lead recruiter. Capel is the closer. They need a big man who can play right away, a point who can challenge Femi and depth. Champagnie will likely stay another year to improve draft stock. That will make them .500 next year. The sky isn’t falling.
Even the most fervent Capel supporter has to be admit its a little weird to be the last ACC team to sign a HS player AND the last to sign a transfer. It is much more likely that it is due to recruiting incompetence than some grand plan to be ultra selective

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT