ADVERTISEMENT

Who wants to break down Wales?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Lots of guys in the Prem. We have a few on here knowledgeable about that league and the Championship, where a lot of the Welsh play.

What I'd be interested in is for the Welsh players who will play, how many would get time for the USMNT if they were American? Off the top of my head, I'd say Bale would start at the 9 and Aaron Ramsey could possibly start in a crowded American midfield. Anyone else?

I don't know a ton, but they have some decent talent in Ramsey, James, Wilson and obviously Bale. The us overall is definitely a more talented and complete squad, but Bale for Wales can go supernova. From what I've heard is that Wales is another low block team who gives up possession and focuses on the counter, which the us struggled against throughout qualifying.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Lots of guys in the Prem. We have a few on here knowledgeable about that league and the Championship, where a lot of the Welsh play.

What I'd be interested in is for the Welsh players who will play, how many would get time for the USMNT if they were American? Off the top of my head, I'd say Bale would start at the 9 and Aaron Ramsey could possibly start in a crowded American midfield. Anyone else?
Well if you put it that way, I don’t think many would start for us. But they are all EPL talent and the danger for us is probably their whole vs the sum of their parts. Chemistry wise, I’ll guarantee they have more than us because we still have never played with our core healthy and intact.

Here is their rotation as I see it. I’m sure there will be some holes because I’m not familiar with them like I would be if asked to break down the Cleveland Browns.

I think they play a 3-4-3. At least that’s what they did in their one match winner take all vs Ukraine.

Defense:

Ethan Ampadu- RCB. He’s a chelsea academy product who is a solid young player on loan in Serie A Spezia.

Joe Rodan- CB. EPL Tottenham on loan at League 1 Rennes in France

Ben Davies- RCB. Tottenham

Goalkeeping:

Wayne Hennessey- EPL and EFL journeyman who is now a back up in the EPL for Nottingham Forest. Played and started several years at Crystal Palace.

Midfield:

Connor Robert’s- EFL. Burnley
Joe Allen- EFL. Swansea
Aaron Ramsey- obviously well known to everyone here. Would he start for us? He’s at Nice right now.
Neco Williams-Nottingham Forest

Forwards:

Garath Bale- LAFC
Harry Wilson- Fulham FC in EPL
Daniel James- Fulham FC via Leeds via Man U in EPL
Keizer Moore- EPL. AFC Bournemouth
Rhys Norrington Davies- Sheffield FC in EFL.

Reactions: artp5
Good point For sure on whole vs sum of their parts. I just don’t know how well the US can bring it together as a team.

Well if you put it that way, I don’t think many would start for us. But they are all EPL talent and the danger for us is probably their whole vs the sum of their parts. Chemistry wise, I’ll guarantee they have more than us because we still have never played with our core healthy and intact.

Here is their rotation as I see it. I’m sure there will be some holes because I’m not familiar with them like I would be if asked to break down the Cleveland Browns.

I think they play a 3-4-3. At least that’s what they did in their one match winner take all vs Ukraine.

Defense:

Ethan Ampadu- RCB. He’s a chelsea academy product who is a solid young player on loan in Serie A Spezia.

Goalkeeping:

Wayne Hennessey- EPL and EFL journeyman who is now a back up in the EPL for Nottingham Forest. Played and started several years at Crystal Palace.

Midfield:

Joe Allen- EFL. Swansea
Aaron Ramsey- obviously well known to everyone here. Would he start for us? He’s at Nice right now.

Forwards:

Garath Bale- LAFC
Nice synopsis. I forgot about Ben Davies but even still, yea, I dont see who starts for us other than Bale. That said, apparently they all play in the Prem so they have talent and CAN beat us. I'm not buying where some of these folks are so sure they will beat us. It would be more than a mild upset.

Nice synopsis. I forgot about Ben Davies but even still, yea, I dont see who starts for us other than Bale. That said, apparently they all play in the Prem so they have talent and CAN beat us. I'm not buying where some of these folks are so sure they will beat us. It would be more than a mild upset.
I think tactics and chemistry are such a big part of it and sadly we don’t have it. I think we will press their backs and see if we can create havoc. I have just never seen Pulisic press. They’ll try to hit Daniel James off the counter and with Dest playing high, if we aren’t careful they’ll try to slip James behind on that side.

Getting ahead here, I see Wales sitting more than England will. I think England will be attack minded but will still worry more about Pulisic countering and that will free up space for Weah. I might put a player prop down on Weah scoring vs England. With their injuries, their backs are slow.

Bale is clearly the biggest threat for Wales. Before he went to Real Madrid, he was an attacking MF. I think playing winger on the right side is his best position now. He really requires the attention of two defenders to neutralize him.

He definitely is not a #9. He would be wasted at that position. On the other hand, having a good #9 on the team helps him a lot by creating more open space for him. I don’t know if Wales has one. All of his injuries have cost him some of his speed, but he still is very shifty and has great dribbling ability.

He also is one of the best FK takers I have ever seen from the right side. He is like Messi in that his kicks have so much power behind them that the GK can be shaded toward where he is aiming and still not have time to get there to make the save.

Bale is clearly the biggest threat for Wales. Before he went to Real Madrid, he was an attacking MF. I think playing winger on the right side is his best position now. He really requires the attention of two defenders to neutralize him.

He definitely is not a #9. He would be wasted at that position. On the other hand, having a good #9 on the team helps him a lot by creating more open space for him. I don’t know if Wales has one. All of his injuries have cost him some of his speed, but he still is very shifty and has great dribbling ability.

He also is one of the best FK takers I have ever seen from the right side. He is like Messi in that his kicks have so much power behind them that the GK can be shaded toward where he is aiming and still not have time to get there to make the save.
Yeah he will becoming off the right side and Daniel James off the left.

Additionally I just saw this

The US is a small favorite over Wales.
This game may end up just being a coin toss on who wins. In the end,,one team has a true world class goal scorer. I’m the World Cup you have to have that go to guy to score when you need it.
But if the US can possess and create opportunities, Bale might end up with limited chances. But he is that good he can create on his own. US has to put it together as a team for any chance to win.

This game may end up just being a coin toss on who wins. In the end,,one team has a true world class goal scorer. I’m the World Cup you have to have that go to guy to score when you need it.
But if the US can possess and create opportunities, Bale might end up with limited chances. But he is that good he can create on his own. US has to put it together as a team for any chance to win.
That’s a good point. I went to FanDuel and considered putting down money on a draw. Isn’t that what happens often in these opening matches? Considering the US and Wales both like their chances of advancing if they can manage a point in this match, it just seems they will be tentative and conservative.

And regarding Bale, if they were to play a match like this under the exact same circumstances, I’d be willing to bet Wales comes out on top more than the US because of Bales free kick capabilities. I wonder if there are any simulations out there.

What do you guys thinks about Ream and Zimmerman paired together vs Wales? Recovery runs are my concern. How will Gregg play?

That’s a good point. I went to FanDuel and considered putting down money on a draw. Isn’t that what happens often in these opening matches? Considering the US and Wales both like their chances of advancing if they can manage a point in this match, it just seems they will be tentative and conservative.

And regarding Bale, if they were to play a match like this under the exact same circumstances, I’d be willing to bet Wales comes out on top more than the US because of Bales free kick capabilities. I wonder if there are any simulations out there.

In my heart, I am picking US 2-1. I think we're better. But if you forced me to bet $1000 on it, I'd pick a 1-1 draw. That's the safest bet and the 1st games draw more consistently as teams tend to play conservative since a loss all but knocks you out (statistically).

Defense:

Goalkeeping:

Midfield:

Joe Allen- EFL. Swansea

Forwards:

Garath Bale- LAFC
Interestingly, Joe Allen looks to be out tomorrow. I don’t know how this impacts them, but I have to wonder if Ethan Ampadu moves from his position in the back 3 to playing the #6. He’s a good player, albeit young. I liked our match up with having Allen in their midfield because he’s older and struggles with fitness at times. I actually think Ampadu will help them in the midfield. But my question is how his replacement in the back 3 will do with Pulisic and/or Aaronson running off the left side.

Ok I had to look it up. Chris Mepham would probably be the one to move into Ampadu’s slot in the back 3. He’s an EPL starter at Bournemouth so he’s more than capable. He’s also a Chelsea academy product. So essentially one Chelsea academy player replaces another in their starting Xl.

Look's like the 3 Lions are showing the rest of the group how vulnerable Iran is. Not 1 Iranian player sang the national anthem.

I somewhat feel better about the U.S.'s chances in the group now. Regardless of politics, U.S. v Iran etc...Iran looks extremely disinterested.

2pm is even more crucial now for the U.S. 3 points against Wales and I think they get into the knockout stage.

Does Iran government shut down the team for protesting? With the way Iran handles things, I could see them shutting down the team or throwing players in prison.

• Sad
Reactions: Allan McMurray
Look's like the 3 Lions are showing the rest of the group how vulnerable Iran is. Not 1 Iranian player sang the national anthem.

I somewhat feel better about the U.S.'s chances in the group now. Regardless of politics, U.S. v Iran etc...Iran looks extremely disinterested.

2pm is even more crucial now for the U.S. 3 points against Wales and I think they get into the knockout stage.
Yeah I noticed that. So they normally sing? Sounds odd to me that they would visibly protest when they can be executed simply for losing.

Yeah I noticed that. So they normally sing? Sounds odd to me that they would visibly protest when they can be executed simply for losing.
I wasn't sure what to think initially...then I saw not 1 player even moving their lips. Then during the 1st half when Ian Darke and Landon referenced it, I figured there was something to it.

Well we will know if we don't hear about them playing soccer anymore in 2 weeks if the government disappeared them or not.

The Porto striker said some things this past week which made many think he would be kicked off the team. One thing is for sure, these guys better never return to Iran. And most play in the domestic league there. Snowflakes in America for protesting during the national anthem. Can you imagine what they think in Iran?

The Porto striker said some things this past week which made many think he would be kicked off the team. One thing is for sure, these guys better never return to Iran. And most play in the domestic league there. Snowflakes in America for protesting during the national anthem. Can you imagine what they think in Iran?

Another of their players said some things right before they put in their roster and there was a lot of speculation that he would be dropped from the squad. But he was not.

I think the government knows that if they would do something to those guys right now that they would get a long international ban from FIFA for government interference with the team, and that they would get a ton of bad publicity. Much easier to wait until eyes are elsewhere to make the consequences known.

Another of their players said some things right before they put in their roster and there was a lot of speculation that he would be dropped from the squad. But he was not.

I think the government knows that if they would do something to those guys right now that they would get a long international ban from FIFA for government interference with the team, and that they would get a ton of bad publicity. Much easier to wait until eyes are elsewhere to make the consequences known.
They’ll just stick to abusing women and killing for not covering up. Wouldn’t want a bam from FIFA.

Not talked about much but why Yedlin over Scally? Scally, Reyna, and Pefok are starters in the 2nd best league in the world. Instead, we had MLS guys out there to close out the game. I like Acosta and think he has top league talent but Morris, old Man Yedlin, I dont understand. Wales was the better team late in the 2nd Half and the fact we had the MLS All-Stars out there was a big reason.

You keep mentioning him. You remember that he's not even on the roster, right? It's kind of hard to bring in a guy who isn't even in the country.

Yea and I'm going to keep mentioning him. He is starging in the Bundesliga and we had a dude who plays 2nd fiddle for to a South American C teamer at Seattle

• Haha
Yea and I'm going to keep mentioning him. He is starging in the Bundesliga and we had a dude who plays 2nd fiddle for to a South American C teamer at Seattle

But you keep acting like they should play him and he's not on the team. Which is a pretty large impediment to getting to play.

Not talked about much but why Yedlin over Scally? Scally, Reyna, and Pefok are starters in the 2nd best league in the world. Instead, we had MLS guys out there to close out the game. I like Acosta and think he has top league talent but Morris, old Man Yedlin, I dont understand. Wales was the better team late in the 2nd Half and the fact we had the MLS All-Stars out there was a big reason.
Yedlin was bad in his cameo. I think he fell asleep on the throw in before the penalty. Dest had to come out. He played pretty well but he’s not fit. Fitness might have been our biggest issue. Musah, Reyna, McKennie, Dest, Weah are all not where they need to be and it showed. Throw in Pulisic not being in top form, and it’s easy to see why they 2nd half went the way it did.

Yedlin was bad in his cameo. I think he fell asleep on the throw in before the penalty. Dest had to come out. He played pretty well but he’s not fit. Fitness might have been our biggest issue. Musah, Reyna, McKennie, Dest, Weah are all not where they need to be and it showed. Throw in Pulisic not being in top form, and it’s easy to see why they 2nd half went the way it did.

This was our lineup to close out the game:

Defenders - 2 MLS, 2 Fulham (Jedi, Yeslin, Zimmerman, Ream)

Midfielders - 2 Leeds (good with that), MLS Acosta

Forwards - MLS Morris, out of the Wilderness Haji Wright, and a tired Pulisic

4 MLS guys + MLS-level Haji Wright going up against an EPL team.....maybe they had some dudes in from the Championship

4 MLS guys + MLS-level Haji Wright going up against an EPL team.....maybe they had some dudes in from the Championship
Yeah but again, our top guys weren’t fit. And that’s a problem for this team. One that was a concern coming into the tourney, and it proved to be the case in the 46th-99th minutes.

I’m ok with Haji in there vs tired legs. Acosta probably too. I’m really upset with Yedlin. He should have been able to do his job vs Wales and couldn’t. Morris should never see the field unless we are up in a match and guaranteed to be through to the next round.

I like Zimmerman but worried that he wouldn’t be up for the occasion. Looking at the foul again, it was certainly a foul but it wasn’t as egregious as initially though. He just didn’t see Bale, which was bad, but just not as bad as I first thought.

Btw, Morroco got a result this AM. Ziyech, Hakimi and the boys did well.

Damn it looks like Acosta fell asleep too during that quick throw that should have probably been a handball going the other way.

Losing to japan and drawing saudi arabia in friendly doesn't look as bad right now
Agree.

I will say that I think the U.S. has a punchers chance on Friday.

A. England is cocky
B. Southgate isn't too far ahead of Berhalter
C. As we've seen so far, anything can happen

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT