ADVERTISEMENT

1st try at a Pitt YouTube channel

The opening game of the 2001 Big East Tournament was the start of the run which got Pitt to the finals of the BET that year but was the harbinger of the jump into the national rankings the following season.

""

I watched that game in Hawaii between Pitt and Wisconsin last night. ROFL... that was great. D. Gore being D. Gore... and not a whole lot of defense being played at times. Speaking of which... got the 1986 loss to Oklahoma in the 2nd round of the NCAA? That was a non-defense playing classic!

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
I watched that game in Hawaii between Pitt and Wisconsin last night. ROFL... that was great. D. Gore being D. Gore... and not a whole lot of defense being played at times. Speaking of which... got the 1986 loss to Oklahoma in the 2nd round of the NCAA? That was a non-defense playing classic!
I’d love to see the 2 games from the ‘86-87 Tourney. The first against Rik Smits and Marist and then the OU game. My first NCAA tourney memories of Pitt.

One thing to appreciate about televised games today vs the early to mid-80s is how nice it is today that when the broadcast comes on the game pretty much starts right away. Watching these games that Jeff has been posting, it’s painful at the beginning how when the broadcast came on the air it started with a minute of sponsored billboards, then the announcers talking for 2 minutes, then a commercial. After a break, it was the starting lineup and the uncomfortable still photo of the 3 referees before we actually got to tip-off. Throw in the fact that you never knew the score or time until they decided to flash it up and there is so much to appreciate about how games today are produced.

Reactions: W1np1tt
Yes, crazy week of work. Will start with a handful tonight and over the weekend.

I actually hate bugging you about it, but I hope this lets you know how much I appreciate you posting these games!! I've watched each game at least once (although I didn't watch the full game of all of them I confess -- for example, I only watched the second half and OT of the Pitt - Georgia game.

I actually hate bugging you about it, but I hope this lets you know how much I appreciate you posting these games!! I've watched each game at least once (although I didn't watch the full game of all of them I confess -- for example, I only watched the second half and OT of the Pitt - Georgia game.
How about a relatively normal, non-shtick Bill Walton doing the Pitt-Georgia game!

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
One thing to appreciate about televised games today vs the early to mid-80s is how nice it is today that when the broadcast comes on the game pretty much starts right away. Watching these games that Jeff has been posting, it’s painful at the beginning how when the broadcast came on the air it started with a minute of sponsored billboards, then the announcers talking for 2 minutes, then a commercial. After a break, it was the starting lineup and the uncomfortable still photo of the 3 referees before we actually got to tip-off. Throw in the fact that you never knew the score or time until they decided to flash it up and there is so much to appreciate about how games today are produced.
What I notice too is color guys like Vitale, his early days and in the 90's he actually gave a lot of solid insight. I liked what he brought. Starting from the 2000's on he just became a shtick, a gimmick and he pretty much brought nothing to the analyst side.

What I notice too is color guys like Vitale, his early days and in the 90's he actually gave a lot of solid insight. I liked what he brought. Starting from the 2000's on he just became a shtick, a gimmick and he pretty much brought nothing to the analyst side.

YES

We probably lose that game without Blair. Again I don't know what it is but come tournament time under Jamie the team just played differently, too tight.

I mean, to be fair that was a really good East Tennessee State team, I would have them favored over 12th seeded Western Kentucky, 13th seeded Portland State and 14th seeded Cornell that year.

But I still agree with you, that group in particular always played with the weight of the world on them come tournament time.

Reactions: PittPoker
I’d love to see the 2 games from the ‘86-87 Tourney. The first against Rik Smits and Marist and then the OU game. My first NCAA tourney memories of Pitt.

Cool. I must have missed it. Thanks!

That Marist game was fun. Such a big Marist front line. Do you have the Oklahoma game to round out the trilogy?

That might have been our most talented starting five (87)? No offense to 88 or 09, and not saying it was among our deepest or best coached teams by any means though, but that was a heck of a starting line up.

I mean, to be fair that was a really good East Tennessee State team, I would have them favored over 12th seeded Western Kentucky, 13th seeded Portland State and 14th seeded Cornell that year.

But I still agree with you, that group in particular always played with the weight of the world on them come tournament time.

Still shaking my head at what should have been. I definitely don’t want to rehash history for the 10,000th time, but good golly, why did the sphincters tighten up so much for such long stretches by so many players in win or truly go home for the summer games? It’s a rhetorical question that must not or cannot have an answer.

Reactions: thirteenNINE
This was actually Chris Taft's first start of his career but the real story was Mark McCarroll exploding for a career-high 26 points off the Panthers bench. Unfortunately technical difficulties knocked out the last 6 minutes of gametime, sorry about that.

""

The 1989-90 edition was both one of Pitt's best offensive and worst defensive teams in program history. Sean Miller missed the season with a broken foot and Paul Evans only had 7 scholarship players available, 1 of whom was Gilbert Johnson (yes Cam's Dad) who rarely played. So the entire bench most nights was Darren Morningstar and former-walk-on Pat Cavanaugh. Brian Shorter and Jason Matthews both averaged about 20 PPG, and Shorter, Matthews, Bobby Martin, and Darrelle Porter all averaged 35+ minutes per night. This was the highlight of a 12-17 season, no shortage of offense in this one.

""

Regarding the last post, I should probably add why Pitt was so undermanned in 1989-90. I believe that was the season that all 5 of their recruits were declared academically ineligible under then-Prop 48 which also took away a year of ineligibility. Eric Mobley and Chris McNeal both ended up at Pitt later, I don't think any of the other three did although I'm drawing a blank on their names.

Regarding the last post, I should probably add why Pitt was so undermanned in 1989-90. I believe that was the season that all 5 of their recruits were declared academically ineligible under then-Prop 48 which also took away a year of ineligibility. Eric Mobley and Chris McNeal both ended up at Pitt later, I don't think any of the other three did although I'm drawing a blank on their names.

Dominic Dumancic (who eventually played at Pitt after sitting out a year for Prop 48).
Dunkin Danny Griffin from Crenshaw High School in LA went to UNLV then Rhode Island. He never amounted to much.
Jamal Faulkner who went to Arizona State, then Alabama. He was a really good player.

Eric Mobley went to Allegany CC for a year then came to Pitt.
Chris McNeal sat out his Prop 48 then had a strong career at Pitt.

And speaking of Mobley and McNeal, they were featured in this one from 1993, Chris McNeal scored a career-high 30 on the road in Champaign.

""

From March 2003, Pitt hosted UConn in the first Pitt regular-season game on CBS in a decade to that point.

""

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT