ADVERTISEMENT

1st try at a Pitt YouTube channel

Thx Jeff you are the best!!

Another request if you wouldn't mind, Pitt vs West Virginia in the Elite 8 season (2008-2009).

Finally got around to watching the first game you put up, the Florida game.

My God! Jerome Lane was amazing at rebounding.

I forgot just how physically strong he was and how good he was at tipping the ball to himself (important skill for shorter rebounds)

Jeff any update on the West Virginia games during the elite 8 season 2008-2009? Would love to watch them.

Hi Jeff, just wanted to follow up and see if you did have 2015 Pitt vs Louisville football? Thanks!

Hi Jeff- a football request on the basketball board.
Do you have , I believe it’s 1989, Pitt’s miracle comeback to tie WVU at WVU?

Also love the 1986 and 1991 Pitt blowout wins vs WVU.

Thanks for doing this!! It’s a lot of fun to watch these games!

Hi Jeff- a football request on the basketball board.
Do you have , I believe it’s 1989, Pitt’s miracle comeback to tie WVU at WVU?

Also love the 1986 and 1991 Pitt blowout wins vs WVU.

Thanks for doing this!! It’s a lot of fun to watch these games!
Haha
Let’s stick to hoops for now!
Looks like we may have a whole cancelled football season to bring back these games.

For those who don't remember, Tim Glover played sparingly in his one year with the Panthers. But he became a minor legend by coming out of nowhere to score 12 off the bench in the second half and OT to help Pitt overcome a 10-point second-half deficit in the first round of the 1991 NCAA Tournament. Shorter went for 23/13 but Glover was the guy everyone talked about afterwards. Although you have to give Paul Evans credit for riding the hot hand.

The first half was not shown everywhere as NCAA games were broadcasted very differently in the era of a single CBS channel. But the second half and the OT are here which is pretty much the story of how this one went down.

""

Last edited:
Pitt won at nova one year snapping their home court winning streak. I think it was after Scottie Reynolds. I'm thinking 10/11. Anyone else remember this?

Two other good ones I remember that kind of got the ball rolling in 01/02 were the wins at Columbus and at Boston College when they were ranked pretty high. They also blew out the nits that year as well.

Ralph Willard had only 7 players at his disposal for most of his first season after Jerry McCullough tore his knee up in a pickup game and Chad Varga broke his hand. Andre Alridge, who played sparingly his first 2 years, averaged something like 39 minutes a game in Big East play. The highlight of a tough season with a bunch of very close losses was their win in the first round of the BET.

""

I don't remember who asked about this one - this was from the 2002 season and was BC's first home loss in two years. Remarkable how times have changed for both programs.

""

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
This was the semifinals of the Big East Tournament in 2008. Pitt took control of this with a 11:38 stretch spanning the end of the first half and the beginning of the second half when it held Marquette to no field goals and 2 points.

""

I don't remember who asked about this one - this was from the 2002 season and was BC's first home loss in two years. Remarkable how times have changed for both programs.

" "

This BC game marked the first time I thought we actually might have a really good team that year.

Thanks for getting so many of my requests ... here's what is left

1. March 12, 1997 -- Jason Maile 40 point game over Villanova
2. Feb 19, 1983 -- against G-town at the Ftiz -- Matt Miklasevich gives Ewing a hard time.
3. Jan 21, 1985 -- Pitt beats BC in Boston -- Smith scores 26 going 18-21 from the foul line.
4. March 2,1985 -- Pitt beats Villanova at the Fitz -- Rollie pulls his starters.
5. Jan 10, 1996 -- Pitt crushes Iverson and G-town
6. March 8, 2001 -- over ND in the BET
7. March 8, 2002 -- over Miami in the BET
8. January 6, 2003 -- over 5th ranked ND at the Pete
9. March 14, 2003 against BC in the BET -- great defense
10. March 27, 2003 -- Marquette loss, but a great game to watch
11. Jan 24, 2004 -- crushing the Cuse in the Dome
12. March 13, 2004 -- loss to UConn in the BET -- so much Black Magic -- fun to watch!
13. March 13, 2008 -- over L-ville in the BET
14. March 28, 2009 -- Marquette- yes, I DO want to watch this! It was a great game!
15. November 26, 2014 -- KSU -- just because it's Maui and I can easily see me, my wife and son in the crowd.
16. March 9, 2016 -- Cam Johnson saves the day against the Cuse in the BET
17. January 9, 2019 -- Trey beat L-ville in OT.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
This BC game marked the first time I thought we actually might have a really good team that year.

2. Feb 19, 1983 -- against G-town at the Ftiz -- Matt Miklasevich gives Ewing a hard time.
3. Jan 21, 1985 -- Pitt beats BC in Boston -- Smith scores 26 going 18-21 from the foul line.
4. March 2,1985 -- Pitt beats Villanova at the Fitz -- Rollie pulls his starters.
12. March 13, 2004 -- loss to UConn in the BET -- so much Black Magic -- fun to watch!
14. March 28, 2009 -- Marquette- yes, I DO want to watch this! It was a great game!
15. November 26, 2014 -- KSU -- just because it's Maui and I can easily see me, my wife and son in the crowd.
I've been looking for the Jason Maile game for years to no avail. Unfortunately I don't have any of your #1-5. I'm uploading one now you don't have here but might be worth a look, and I'll queue up the others over time.

I've been looking for the Jason Maile game for years to no avail. Unfortunately I don't have any of your #1-5. I'm uploading one now you don't have here but might be worth a look, and I'll queue up the others over time.

That's a bummer about the Maile game.

I missed the first half because I was in a graduate school night class. But I heard what was going walkman radio I had with me and left class early to move as fast as I could from Forbes Quad up the Field House. I got there about midway through the second half. Would have loved to have seen all of that one!

And they are ALL worth a look!

Jamie's first game (and win) as the head coach of the Panthers came at MSG in the Coaches vs. Cancer classic against Alabama (with Mark Gottfried as HC). Here's how it started.

""

Back in the early 2000's I was very active in trading and digging up old Pitt games. A few things....

I have never seen your #1. I am like you, this is the one game I have to have. For me it's the up there with 76 Pitt/Penn State which has surfaced.

#5 will be tough. Correct me if I'm wrong but was this game delayed the played a day later? I recorded my games off a dish back then and remember it not being on as many of the regional sports channels as it was scheduled to be. Usually HTS or MSG would carry the game if KBL or whatever it was called in the mid 90's didn't. At the time I never recorded pitt games live fearing a loss so I just would record a replay and sadly missed this one.

If Jeff has these and he may, two good ones to watch from the Charles Smith days are the first two games of the 86 Rainbow Classic vs Wisky and Arkansas. It was fun to watch them completely run Arkansas out of the gym.

This was the semifinals of the Big East Tournament in 2008. Pitt took control of this with a 11:38 stretch spanning the end of the first half and the beginning of the second half when it held Marquette to no field goals and 2 points.

" "
Was this the game we played a “junk” defense like some kind of matchup diamond and 1 -
And totally stifled Marquette ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT